Options

Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Oscarr - enjoy your rest and refuelling.

• Options
    Results for Coniston www.smartiming.co.uk

FH
  • Options

Cheers FH - they're up on the main site too now - just in case anyone is any doubt about the yak factor - 174 DNSs (out of 560ish) in the half, 121 DNSs in the marathon race and 96 in the challenge! Wowsers - extra hardcore points just for turning up!

Now... I wonder how runBritain will weight that one - the hard 5k I was wittering about the other week got a 2.5 (versus its more usual 1.5) and the hardest race I've had scored on it so far was a 5.0 (Cliveden 6 and same for the Cape Wrath 10 miler) - gotta at least match those I reckon! It felt harder - in fact I would rank it second only to a bonkers hill race I once did in the Cairngorms!

G&T in my hand - very slow/easy 40 minutes today - recover well chaps!

• Options

Wow everyone - great running! Rather in awe of people a) running in rain and b) running up hill. Hills are horrid so WELL DONE all - plus tree routes, bogs and a fall (poor you Oscarr) I'm simply not tough enough for that! 

I've been a bit fat and lazy but managed a 15 mile mixed terrian and undulating course on Sunday. Didn't race just paced and felt really good. However ... tooth started to throb on the journey home and had to get an emergency appointment at the dentist today. I have a swollen face now and a further appointment in August ... ouch.

Lee - I hope you have got rid of all the horseflys!

• Options

Just done my stats from the results.  The combined total for both full marathon starts gives a total field of 539 starters - i was 400th.  Out of this total, there were only 12 MV60 starters and my time would have put me 6th - i do this cos i'm almost 60 so for me its a better comparison than MV50.  So, only 12 other nutters!!!

Sleepy - that's a great time for the half - just wait til you get on the flat road !!

• Options

Morning all!

Hey Emma - hope you're feeling better today - toothache sucks! Sounds like a good run - really glad you enjoyed it.

oscarr - thank you - I couldn't/wouldn't have wanted to go any faster in that terrain in those conditions even though I was running comfortably (and walking as I felt like it ie several times LOL).  I'm still amazed how those folks who were wearing road shoes managed to stay upright though it would explain why I was passing so many folks on the downhills!  Congrats on your 6th - quite right that you work out your age grouping - I was 29th lady but not a vet today.  I really wish they would decide one way or the other where the lady vet applies - one race I am, the next I'm not - it's getting a bit silly!

Looks like Choisty's mate had a good run too - 4:11 (if I've gotten the right chap).  Fabaroo - that's us all counted out and back in safely!  Did anyone get to meet him?

Right - 4 minute efforts today for me but only 3 of them so shouldn't hurt too much (ssssssh I'm still convincing myself!).  My legs are pretty much ok - a little tired but not sore yet.  Hope everyone else is recovering well!

Have a good day y'all image

• Options

Sleepy - re the road shoes, i was very surprised at the low number of people who DNF, think it was about 15 for both marathon starts.  The measure of the difficulty is also illustrated by the fact that there were lots of folk finishing in 7 and 8 hours plus !!!

Didn't see Piers (Choisty's mate) but no chance to look for a blue running vest when everyone was wearing raingear!!

When is your next race?

My legs are surprisingly good today so may go for a light jog tomorrow.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Take it easy Oscarr.  Your body needs to repair itself, even if you don't think it does.

Micro tears in the muscles blah blah blah image

• Options

Morning - I know - amazing eh! Fair point - I'd forgotten that most of us covered up though I did end up in my vest after the first 5k once I'd gotten going. Hello Piers if you're about *waves* - how was your race?  Any tales to tell?

I'm doing the parkrun this Saturday and then another half the following Sunday: http://www.fat-feet.co.uk/running-events/index.php/events/grimsthorpe-half-marathon/#more-109 

It's mixed terrain again but I believe most of it is hard surface - just another training run for me!

Glad your legs are ok - how about your next race?

• Options

^ ^ ^ ^ yeah - what he said! (Morning Ten!)

Right - I really must get my butt in gear!!! Here I go ...image

• Options

Not planned anything yet but will do.  In the longterm i still have to decide between Kielder and Abingdon in October.  Leaning towards Abingdon at the moment - fast, flat and 30 mins drive from home.  Kielder - slow, up and down, scenic, adventure etc.  May take a look at that Cyprus week long event in November as well.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Guys, question. How do I convince OH to let me take Thom to see the flame tonight? It's a mile away, but after his be time...
  • Options

Piers did complete, and very well, although he wasn't happy, good job there were no pubs on the course or he would of stoped, a story best told by the man himself!

The desciptions so far plsu the results have me thinking...about next year

• Options

Bo - "once in a life time experience"  "never to be repeated"  "able to say..'i was there'.."  "be part of history"  - just work a few of these into the conversation gently and before you know it OH will be asking you to take him but don't start by asking, try and engineer it that it's her idea. 

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/lakeland-trails-marathon-2012/188564-4.html

see some of the other feedback on the race in the thread above - lots of twisted ankles etc - makes my fall not sound too bad now!

• Options

Hope you got a very big medal Oscarr, well done and thanks for the report amazing run considering the weather, when I was up at Coniston earlier in the year it was lovely but I have walked in the Fells in driving rain all day several times its completely different then. Well done enjoy the rest this week and eat well.image

• Options

Here you go oscarr - just for you - this should be the theme tune for Sunday LOL (a bit of a random and a tenuous link folks - you have been warned):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNajFYPljQ&feature=fvwrel

Take note of the fact it says marathon in the top right hand corner!

• Options

Brilliant - i reckon the hands squeezing the neck at the end should have him saying "..you want me to do THAT marathon again..."  - for those wondering, Stimpy was the name given to one of our 2 cats by the kids, the other being Ren of course.

• Options

Right lunchtime so now where were we...

oscarr - I did wonder when you said that was the cats name if that's where it came from... I used to love that cartoon - hence getting nostalgic and looking it up! Have you done Abingdon before?  If not - you've the duty of a local to attend - if you have - depends on how much you want a PB I suppose.  You've probably gathered by now that I race for the adventure of discovering somewhere new.  So it's up to you I guess! Yay for Cyprus - I can't wait for our trip in 2013.  LA Santa have a special offer on at the moment too - if you book before 31 July.  We're thinking of going in late January - will let you know... (Oh and slapped wrist for being too wise in the art of getting your own way - can't believe you would try leading Bo astray - tut tut image)

Bo - What are you a man or mouse?  Is he your child too? Put some trousers on and practice your negotiating skills. I think you should be allowed to take him if you want to - just emphasize that you promise not to be naughty too often and will revert to being a responsible parent the following day!  BTW - I'm completely bored by the torch now so I can also understand why Mrs Duke just aint that bothered!  Personally much happier following the men in lycra shorts over the channel than a bit of metal that keeps getting on a bus!

Very intrigued by Piers' adventure - hope he's ok!  Choisty - think you'd probably love it - Ben certainly fancies the half one year. I'd happily go back for the half sometime if I ever run out of races to do.

How are you after your monster week mcs?  Got anything in the diary yet?  Hope work is picking up for you.

runBritain must be on holiday this week - I've always got my handicap update on a Monday - must try to be patient! Poor poppets are probably buried at this time of year!

• Options

Not done Abingdon before cos i kept missing the entry which fills up really fast cos its so popular and only about a thousand places.  Not sure about going for a PB yet (need some rest first before making plans).  Abingdon seems a bit of a waste if i am not going for PB so if i decide to go for slow and adventure then i'll do Kielder.  Some time yet to decide - i've got places in both at moment - can't wait too long cos if i want to go PB hunting again i need to start serious schedule soon, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

Looking forward to hearing Piers report from the weekend. 

Thought Ben said he wouldn't do Lakeland?

• Options

I can understand you feeling that way - give it a few weeks then decide???

Think Ben came round about half way home - he knows it wouldn't be that fast but he's coming round to my way of thinking that trail races and a few fell ones are the way forward (we're both missing being so close to the Scottish munros so we're thinking we could combine running/hill walking effectively).  Think it must be the cross country champ in him resurfacing - hurrah!  We first got talking at a cross country race up in Morayshire - surprise surprise! But first things first - gotta get him that sub30 10k!  He's gone to see the medic today as he's got something going on in his ankle and he really wants to push himself this weekend - not sure whether he can get a physio referral before then or if they could do anything but it's worth a shot.  He's not sure what he's done - it might just be that he's reached his training threshold (about 70 miles a week) under his new coach and his body needs time to adapt.  We shall see ... the training is certainly working! Otherwise he's going to probably have to wait until Leeds in the autumn for another crack as he goes away on Monday for 2 weeks and then he's away again for the last 2 weeks of August.

• Options

You pair of romantics...image

• Options

Their eyes met over a pair of muddy spikes across a steaming, stinky wet-kit-filled stinky school assembly hall ...image

Us Yorkshire birds are a fussy lot I tell thee! image

• Options
    Gosh Coniston sounds like something I should never consider, I am way too delicate and accident prone .

Big respect to all, loved the report Oscarr.

I just did a new Park Run on Saturday, a hilly one at least, and ran in to work today through central London, Oxford Street and all - horrendous, kind of like dodging the loose cannons in VLM except many if these are coming towards you.

Did realise I could run through Hyde Park for part of it next time.

And then funnily enough I received an email fromTfL telling me my local station will be bunged during the Olympics why don't I run to work?

Ten sorry you had to go through a nasty procedure but so glad the news was good, that's very scary stuff.

I'm doing the Orion Forest 5 again on Ssturday, although I expect it will be much swampier this time around.
  • Options

Just got back from the Lakes, via Blackpool!

Will catch up with all post later, but in the mean time heres my garmin data from the marathon:-

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/195453026

FH

• Options

Yea gods check this out:  it's from the AW website and is Susan Partridge's sub 2:35 marathon prep. It's making me feel very inadequate but now have an ultimate plan to build towards (even if it takes me years and years to get anywhere close!)

<h2>Typical winter training</h2>

(Marathon preparation)

» Monday
    (am) 5 miles easy/steady.
    (pm) 8 miles easy/steady or rest.

» Tuesday
    (pm) Session. Example: 4-6 x 5 minutes, 12-14 x 400m or 6-8 x 1km.

» Wednesday
    (am) Rest.
    (pm) 1 hour 30 minutes-1 hour 45 minutes steady.

» Thursday
    (pm) 10 miles steady or tempo.

» Friday
    (pm) 5-8 steady/easy

» Saturday
    (am) Long reps. Example: 6 x 1 mile, 6-8 x 1km or 3 x 2km, marathon-paced run (10-13 miles) or 10 x 1 mile at slightly quicker than marathon pace with 15-30 seconds recovery.
    (pm) Rest or 30 minutes easy.

» Sunday
    Long run: 2-2:30 (run slower if going longer, but try to pick it up for a couple of miles at the end).

Weekly total = 90-100 miles
    A rest day is occasionally taken when she feels the need rather than being scheduled.

Hi Reiki *waves* - am so jealous of you having a choice of parkruns - ours are all miles away!  Good luck in your swamp run - will look forward to hearing all about it.

Wonder if BoDuke junior made it out past his curfew... wonder who's more excited to see the torch LOL (fingers crossed it's all worked out and no dramas occurred).

Right - sleepy time for me - I have that tell tale gravelly throat that may/may not signal the start of something so I'm going to sleep it off and dream of how I'm going to get from where I am now to something like the above in 10% increments!  Well... a girl can dream! image

• Options
    SB, that's quite close to my Paris plan, most of the Steve bits plus my nutty extras, peaked at 97, which would of been 100, if I had known how close I was! Plus I'm looking forward to getting back to in late autumn
  • Options

Morning all

Wow - Choisty - I knew you were doing big mileage but it really sinks in when you start considering it on a personal level.  I reckon it's doable if I build to it long term and treat it as the peak not a regular week! Can't even begin to get my head round that!  You'll have to keep us posted as you get stuck in again - do you have a rough idea of your starting mileage?

Throat's feeling a bit better today - I always seem to have a couple of grotty days after a good soaking but my first defence/honey/echinacea combo is working its usual magic!  Hurrah

What is becoming my standard easy 40 minutes again today and its still raining! Goodness me - at least we're possibly due a bit of dryness tomorrow...

• Options

SB, I'm running off about 50miles pw at the moment (depending on work/family) bit longer this week as I will be doing 3 or 4 x 5miles on Sunday!  This will go up to around 70 in the autumn as I get in 10mile, HM shape, then December onward build up toward London.  I do tend to have one "easy" week a month normally at 60-70% max week.

Oscarr, do Abingdon it is simply the best runners marathon there is, it's the little thing that counts e.g. they let you put your own drink out on the course, simply take it along on saturday number by water station, then you don't have to carry anything.  Also I missed my last bottle when I went sub-3 there...but about a mile later a lady cycled up to me and gave me my bottle, such a boost to push on with no excuses.

• Options

Thanks Choisty - it certainly seems to be a favourite amongst the regular running community, "a run for runners organised by runners" as they say.  Kielder is 2 weeks before Abo so could do it as the last long run ... only joking ... but i know a girl who would do just that, lives up in Edinburgh !!!