Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Choisty - when you have an "easy" training week, do you cut down on the volume and intensity of quality sessions as well as overall mileage?

Also, the week following the easy week - do you return to the same mileage as the week before the easy week, or increase it to a new peak?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Open Question:  I have a new pain image  which I can feel at the bottom of the ball of the right foot, radiating a little down the top of the arch.  Not a major pain, but it is the second day that I have noticed it.  Does anybody know what it may be?

• Awesome mileage. My legs are sore after high mileage last week only up to 15 this week, having an easy one........following a half schedule. Watching le tour de France, they are just going past my sister in laws house in Normandy. Those guys are tough, the amount of crashes they had yesterday and yet they get up and carry on. I am doing Grindleford Gallop next March, its not a marathon, just a very hilly 22 mile fell race!!! Anyone fancy it??? Just your kind of thing SB and its on a Saturday so you can recover in the Peak District before heading home Sunday pm.

• Talking of Rosie  - anyone heard from her?  I'll go over to facebook and poke her to see how she's doing...

Ten - ouchie - sorry no - not one I've experienced - have you changed shoes / upped your mileage in a particular pair.  Could be a bit of bruising if you're ready for a new pair? Good question by the way - I was wondering much the same - my thinking is that I will maybe increase my mileage post marathon up to Christmas (in my no speed work phase) and then will cycle through a kind of 70/80/90/100% volume pattern but based on time rather than miles to allow for fitness gains (I wish!! LOL) Over to our resident expert ... nudge Choisty - yip - you! Any thoughts - have I misunderstood?

mcs - Grindleford's on the list!!  If my memory serves - you did that one this spring just passed didn't you?  I might not make it in 2013 but I will do it at some point - it looks fab!  Not sure I'll be up to doing 22 miles in March - but once I've exhausted my list of autumn maras - it'll slot in perfectly!

Lakeland is coming up as a monster 5.0 on runBritain - I think that may be their maximum weighting as it covers all manner of sins IMHO. No handicap improvement for me yet but then it can take a day or two to feed through though I'm not raising my hopes - I think it fair -  I ran ok but not better than I have been so no improvement is due! Must try harder! image

Throat still gravelly but not sore and Ben's leg is feeling a bit less sore too (medic was double booked so he got bumped and will have to wing it this weekend - keep your fingers crossed - hope he doesn't trash himself too much!)

• SB, that's quite close to my Paris plan, most of the Steve bits plus my nutty extras, peaked at 97, which would of been 100, if I had known how close I was! Plus I'm looking forward to getting back to in late autumn
  • SB, the way I work is rest week 70% of previous peak, then 95%, 100%, 110% but be careful as everyone has a limit I just haven't found mine yet! Ben will be fine, the best to run fast is with a niggle as you don't start too fast as your natural instincts are better controlled.

Nutter has a new job so she is snowed under and giving a lecture this weekend so spare time is spent running, doh!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Choisty - how about the intensity?

Tenjiso wrote (see)

Choisty - when you have an "easy" training week, do you cut down on the volume and intensity of quality sessions as well as overall mileage?

Also, the week following the easy week - do you return to the same mileage as the week before the easy week, or increase it to a new peak?

Just trying to make my plans I I never know whether to reduce intensity too.  We didn't reduce intensity during marathon training, but perhaps reduced the number of reps - is that the same way you work when you reduce to 70%?

• I keep the intensity, only time I don't is the week after a target long race, e.g. Paris...sorry I forgot to answer, but I'm a bit dozy

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Cheers Choisty image

No slacking off for me during my intervals this "recovery" week, then image

• Ooooh interesting - thanks Choisty I will play around with that as I go along!  Stinky-snuffle-head today so I'm taking the day off and will do a hill session tomorrow instead of going to the club tonight.  Can't see the harm in doubling up with my yoga just this once! Can't even really complain of having a cold - it's just the same snuffles I get after every run in the rain.  Maybe my gran was right!!!

How're you doing oscarr, FH?  Getting back to normality?  Hope you've been allowing yourself some treats this week - maybe I'll go find myself a bar of galaxy since chocolate cures everything.  What have been your treats of choice?

Recover well Ten!!! image

• Hi Sleepy - not run yet since Sunday - legs feel OK just want to give the body a rest for a few days and catch up on some of the paperwork and garden stuff - treats have been beer with every evening meal and late nights watching ridiculously awful films that i've seen before (eg sequel to Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood !!) - stuffing food down me like its going out of fashion and i'm still losing weight !!

Have you read some of the Lakeland reviews on RW ?  The official photos are not as good as the ones Ben took so i will those, thanks.

Will get onto facebook one of these days as well.

• Legs are feeling a bit tired - did 6.5 miles at lunchtime today in about 56 mins. Parkrun to come on Saturday then maybe a hard 13 mile run on Sunday if I can. Counting down to my half marathon in 17 days now image Don't plan to taper for it - just treat it as a training run.

• Garden washed away here........

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.

• Morning all

oscarr - good work - keep it up!! Very jealous - I'm still the same weight - though my miles will start building soon - don't you be losing too much though ya hear! Glad you like the photos - I liked the one of you with your arms raised looking suitably over the moon at the finish too.  I never like the professional ones - you'd think they'd be wiser and take them a mile or so into the race when everyone is looking fresh and at their best!  The organisers were saying on Facebook that they've been getting some flack for bringing the prize giving forward - the responses were all pretty much supportive of that decision given people hanging around etc.  There was also a great picture of the car parking field immediately afterwards - quagmire doesn't even begin to cover it!  Hope the grass grows back soon!

AC8 - sounds like you're running well - not long to go whoop whoop - which one was it you're doing again - sorry I'm being a sieve brain today image

mcs - oops - we're developing a rather fetching ring of mushrooms or toadstools (not sure which) smack bang in the middle of the front lawn - not sure what they're feasting on but it's looking quite healthy. Guessing that means it's damp out there!

What a difference a day makes - only tiny snuffles here now - did my hill session on the treadmill this morning.  I would argue that it was better quality than going out in the rain because I didn't alter my pace regardless of going uphill or returning to flat and I usually slow down a  bit as I go uphill outside (after all I am normal!!!).  Felt pretty good and determined - gonna do my yoga later on and then off to the parkrun tomorrow.  Gonna do 2 laps as Ben is timekeeping so I'll be hanging about a bit.  14 miler coming up on Sunday and 11 weeks to marathon day whoop whoop!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I was absolutely soaking wet at the end of my 8 mile run today.  Not due to rain, but down to the heat in my garage!  I ran it as a benchmark run for comparison against previous (and future) efforts.  Pretty pleased that I averaged 9:29 pace below my recovery ceiling.  Not quite in PB shape yet, but not far off.  Races are approaching to test myself: 10k in 3 weeks; 10k in 8 weeks; 10 miles in 12 weeks.  I'm poised for entry to open for half marathons that I want to enter!

SB - I can't quite believe how quickly time is approaching to your marathon!

• Hey Ten - just think of it as your own personal warm weather training camp image.  Can't wait to see how you get on - my money's on a PB!

It still feels a long way off but I know what you mean - the last month has just vanished.

Came up with some new logic today.  I was thinking that I could approach Choisty's clever recovery rotation back to front as it were.  I'm comfy in my own head with committing to 7 hours a week training next year so am I being nuts or does the following make sense to anyone else too:  Build up to 7 hours (100%) starting at 30% the 2nd week after my mara then drop to 70% of that, then rebuild to 80, 90, 100% and rotate.  Then, as I acclimatise to training 7hours a week I thought I might aim for 8 hours a week the following year again building up the extra in the autumn. Something to ponder over the weekend?

Anyone racing? 

• Hi SB 

I find your approach very interesting, it makes sense to me actually, but then time doesn't mean a lot to me as it depends what I'm doing, I've always gone by distance rather than time for running, time for everything else though [bike, aqua jogging etc].

7 hours a week sounds like a nice round commitment too, i'm jealous if all of it can be running, and the SP schedule you posted would be a dream for me too, again too delicate but I do mix it up with Pilates & all.

Yep supposedly doing the 2nd of 3 Orion Forest 5s tomorrow, skewed my days off to suit this [working tomorrow night now].  I'm a bit worried about the terrain though, specially with these ankles!

Ten I saw you ran since you asked about your mystery foot thing.  Is it OK now? For anything that's impinging on the arch I get the rubber ball [or tumble drier ball] out, and give it a good mash, i.e. stand on it and roll around with plenty of weight on it.  Unless it's a blister on the ball of your foot of course!

mcs what you said about youth is so so true, I'd be great with it now!  Sometiems I see myself in a mirror and get surprised, but the tradeoffs are so worth it I reckon.

I am so enthused to do Abingdon now, maybe I'd better not do London next year, or if my champs in August would get in the way could do Abingdon 2014 I guess.

It sounds divine having so few people though, and even your own drinks, mind you I like the little Nestle ones!

Harlow 10 is looking a bit soon now, might have to run to work again this week maybe Monday.  I do like to leave clothes and food for the day at work the previous day though, so maybe Weds.

Aviva GP next weekend!  

• Oh SB meant to say I have started on the First Defence too, and find it highly efficacious, as is Coldenza from H&B!

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not posting, but been on hoilday in the Lakes with no internet access. Coniston marathon was interesting. As everyone has mentioned it's a very tough course, not due to the hills but due to the terrain. I slipped and put my back out on the descent down from the top and then hit the wall big time in the boggy section. Knee deep in mud at mile 20 of a marathon was not fun.

As has been said before you didn't have a chance to take in the scenery you spent 4 hours staring at your feet.

O well, Choisty's race on Sunday. 5  miles, now that's a better distance image

• Piers - good to hear you made it back safely and are racing again this weekend - it'll feel like a walk in the park!!

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Hi Oscar,

Sorry didn't meet up with anyone. I was very tired at the finish, crawled into my car and had a sleep.

Very odd arriving at registration to be told on the day that I had to carry "hat, gloves, tights and a jacket" told that it was "mandatory" otherwise I coudn't run. I'm assuming that the organiser DQ'd the guys at the sharp end who ignored the instructions.

I don't think I'd do it again, like my races to be runable.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Abingdon is a great marathon, well organised flat course, only place were I thought I might possibly go sub-3. I didn't image

• Hi Sleepy, I , like Oscarr have not run since Coniston, legs feeling a bit heavy and I thought I would take a few extra days off! I will go for a light run tomorrow or Sunday and see how I feel after that !

Good to see Piers got back ok and found be course as challenging as we did.

Thinking of adding another marathon into my year of races, looking at the Portsmouth Coastal, 23rd December. Any of you done that one or entered ?

Good luck racing and training everyone this weekend !

FH
  • SB I'm running the Chester marathon in October (1st marathon) and Windsor to Marlow HM on 22nd July. My training is geared towards the marathon, but long runs are supposed to be HM distance, so it fits in well. image I'm happy that my running is improving finally, but am naturally apprehensive about running further than I've ever run before.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

One of our club runners has done Portsmouth Coastal twice and enjoyed it. It's a low key event and some of it is on the beach so it's a bit tough there.

• Hey all - ooops think I've just pulled a stomach muscle laughing at The Big Bang Theory - who knew that comedy was bad for you! ouch!

Hey Piers - glad you're still in one piece (just) and hope you're feeling a bit better. Sorry we didn't manage to offer you any support - I think I was in the back of the van getting dry and warm round about the time you would have been coming in.

AC8 - Windsor to Marlow - very jealous!  We spent 6 months down in Marlow - I love it down there - hope you have a great run - do a mile for me will you!  You'll be fine - just relax and find your comfy pace.  I'm becoming a great fan of taking part without trashing myself - you don't get the same sense of achievement but you flippin' well enjoy it!  Good luck and enjoy image

FH - What a brilliant and memorable Christmas that would be - do it do it do it - always a brilliant atmosphere at races over the festive season.

Reiki - Go Reiki Go - have a great run and let us know how you get on.  What is 'coldenza'? I'm on the mend now but it never hurts to have supplies in the cupboard. Most of my 7 hours will be running but I want to do some duathlons next year so I'll be building some biking into that too!

We officially own our new house as of 4.30 today.  Gonna pick the keys up tomorrow and then I shall enter the world of cross training/moving boxes!  Right - need to lay down and unkink my tummy - that'll teach me! You'd think 45 minutes of yoga would protect me from such dramas LOL

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

RR - thanks for the suggestion.  After posting about the pain I switched to a new pair of trainers and have run in that pair each day.  I figured that I might benefit from the additional arch support.  I had the pain for a couple of days, but today ran 8 miles without any pain during or after the run.   

• SB, cheers for the advice, will enter the Mara in December.  How did your move go ?  and hows the new house ?

FH

• Ten - good news!

SB - congratulations on the new house.

Coldenza is a homeopathic remedy based on Gelsemium I think, anyway it seems to work for me!

It's by Nelsons.

Race this morning was a mud bath, came out of it in one piece, had to bin shoes ! Was nearly 6 mins down on my time on the same course, dry, last month!

Enjoyed it a lot though and protected the ankles, took no dives!
  • Hey guys

Took the first load of boxes over today... will do a bit everyday whilst Ben's away by which point we should be down to the big things which we'll get a removals company to do. It still doesn't feel quite real but once we get more of our stuff in and we're actually living there it'll be fab!  We're gonna stay in the quarter for at least another 6 weeks with Ben coming and going so there's no rush!

Got a visit from the police when only been in the house for 20 minutes with an interesting tale about an old lady complaining about being stalked by a 70 year man allegedly living at our new address - very bizarre and really quite sad - they seemed happy with the explanation that Ben wasn't that brave and happily left us to it (after having a good nosey around cos they were impressed with  the conversion LOL! )

Might have to try that Reiki - gave up half way round the parkrun today but happy to stay under 25 minutes (just).  My cold has now turned into a full-on surfer's drip.  I think I must have absorbed every rain drop that fell on my head last week and now it's coming out of my nose - and it literally is just water - very odd but quite fascinating (sorry anyone with squeamishnesses).  Glad you're in one piece - it really is squelchy out there at the moment.  The glue on one of my shoes is looking none too healthy after last week - so you have my sympathy. One of our local races (tomorrow) has been cancelled due to flooding - could be a few more of them on the cards!

Ten - yippee - glad you've found a solution!

Ben's now on his way down south - apparently there's a bonus up for grabs for going sub 30 and it'll be enough to buy me a new frock.  I'm glad I'm not gonna be there - I'm not sure I could cope with the excitement/pressure - good job he thrives on it! 

Looking forward to my slow plod tomorrow though I have a hot spot on my foot - think my feet have had enough of being soggy and are rebelling - sexy trench foot alert!!! Not much I can do I guess unless I get some gortex socks - anyone tried them?