Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• D'oh image... my credit card is already heavy with the kids Christmas presents....  must... resist...

• BoD  1:46 was a great time!  What time will you be training to run in the marathon... sub 3:45?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Thanks Ten, don't worry, it's only plastic... image I think I'm gonna look at sub 3:45 and see how I go. I've signed up for Reading 1/2 as a prep race.

• Hi Bo, good to see you on here.
  • Choisty - I may look at the CG to Overton 16 and use it as a training run for the Wall - its close enough for me and I like the idea of a long xc event and the timing of early April fits well.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Thanks oscarr. Sorry about the Wall, spoke to Mrs BoD and she wasn't having any of that £170+ for a run malarkey... image Looks like a great one that.

Oh well, following year maybe

• You have done amazing Bo to get down to 1.46 and to be aiming at 3.45 already respect. Still looking for a sub 4 here!!!  I knocked nearly 30 mins off from my no 1 to no 2 marathon so sure you can do the same.  Headtorch charged ready to roll home. Had to visit a factory this afternoon, shutting down, 50 jobs gone, had to go and get our kit out, not nice. Good evening all have a pleasant evening.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

MCS: You'll get there mate. I've not dropped the time yet, suspect it's gonna hurt...

Bummer with the jobs, really difficult situation at the moment. Gotta keep hanging on...

• Oscarr, it is a quality race my favourite on the calander, some ultra nutters have run up to the gibbet before running back as part of the race!

BoD, hows the training going?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Choisty: it's going we'll mate. Trying to make sure I get my pacing right at the moment, been out for a 8 miler this morning and trying to remain consistent and build the mileage nice and easy like.

You?
  • Thanks for the run report FH. I saw the nomination for the Reading sports personality and checked out the website - I was really impressed and didn't know it was you!
    Bo - Nice to see you here. You've improved by leaps and bounds over the past year - I'm really impressed.
    My (free) time has been spent  trying to set up a junior parkrun in Reading from scratch. There is quite a lot to do - getting all the required permissions, getting some coaches on board, getting 3,000 pounds of funding from the local community (unfortunately I can't just pay for it myself). But the legacy ought to be worth it.
    Re running, did my first run today in nearly a week. Was feeling pretty poorly since last Thursday evening, which stopped me running the Datched XC over the weekend.
    I'm looking forward to visiting the running club tomorrow nightimage 

• AC8,  The secret is out !!  Where did you see th nomination ?  

FH

• Hi FH I read about you on the Reading Roadrunners facebook post on Saturday (and "liked" it) but had no idea it was you...

• AC8, that's funny, will catch up with you next time I'm down on a Wednesday, should be next Wednesday.

FH
  • We have a star amongst us!!!imageimage Where do we vote??
    Got home last night to find my 11 year old wanting to go running as doing cross country at school and she was in her footie boots as the school field is mud and slippy so she went out off and did 1.2 miles in a little over 10 mins.......I thought I might have put her off by making her run down Great Gable in the Lakes in driving rain.
    Ageing seems to be the only available way to live a long life.

• BD, my view on pacing (until Steve got hold of me) was go out hard and wait for my ability to catch-up! took 7 years! I have a HM at the weekend but after that I 6 weeks of base building before starting in earnest for VLM

Ooooo FH can we vote??? I like a good vote and I'd rather vote for you than a police commisioner image

• Choisty, your support knows no bounds! But you can't vote, sorry. If I get to boot camp I would love your support!

FH
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    FH: just had a look at your site. Outstanding fella! You totally deserve to win that!!!

Choisty: it went target pace for two miles then 10-15 over for three then target for another three... Then wee in blokes house... Then BANG.... Rosie must have overtaken me when I was in some random blokes house, using his loo for the longest number one in history........ Oh the lack of dignaty is shocking.

On the upside, Beds half on 6h.

I've found a replacement for hill training! The flatlands here require me to jog to a flyover and run up and down the cycle path next to it. Now got some ankle weights... Did four mile this morning with a large bag of sugar strapped to each leg... Lactic acid!!!
  • FH...you get through to the voting stage and I might clone myself to vote multiple times!  Still I did vote for a police commisioner, although I do think that politicians delegating the responibility to the electorate so they can avoid any bad press around law and order is not on and there should of been a box to keep the police authority.  Still I am sure politicians will take a pay cut to recognise there reduction in their responsibilities. image rant over

BD...never been a fan of ankle wieghts, just run faster on the flat as hill reps are about increasing VO2max

• FH - good luck with winning!  

AC8 - you'll be getting nominated next year for the efforts with the kids running.

BoD - you knocked on someone's door and asked if you could take a dump? LMAO.

I'm still in two minds about the Bedford Half.  It's an enjoyable race, but I'm seeing the orthopaedic consultant just a few days beforehand.  I will probably enter the Oakley 20 (also around Bedford) next March, having realised that it is exactly three weeks before Brighton.

• Choisty - you've pretty much summed up why, for the first time in my life, I shall not be voting.  I've only received communication from one potential candidate (conservative), full of the usual rhetoric.   Plus, living in the vicinity of wannabe Nadine Dorries and criminal Margaret Moran is enough to put anybody off voting for life.

....rant barely started.

• A little three mile jog to work. Got cold sores on the lip so feeling sorry for self this morning. Bit run down.....image Daughter went out and did another mile and a half last night with OH. She is in the school cross country and loves her sport, does hockey and netball and wants to get in the top ten for the cross country........only 11 very proud of her, not her maths though!!! Cant be good at everything!!!

• Ten...you lucky thing what a pair

MCS...fantastic to have a daughter like that pass on my congratulations to her for sporting endeavour...the key is the effort not the result

• Any one use skins? Got some long leggings last winter and just started wearing them, very comfy and seem to keep the legs from getting too stiff.  Cheers C......

• mcs wrote (see)

Any one use skins? Got some long leggings last winter and just started wearing them, very comfy and seem to keep the legs from getting too stiff.

I've got some Nike Drifit tights I bought in a summer sale and then forgot all about.  I've only worn them a couple of times, but it seemed to me that they stopped my thighs from cramping up on some cold runs.  

• Whispers quietly so not too many people hear but the Grindleford Gallop entry is open and is three quarters full already so get your entry in if you want to enjoy some mud and great views. Happy Friday all.image

• Hi all 

No running for me since Monday, have been in the pool and on the bike, but am off today on my Running and Pilates weekend which will have runs x more than one each day, and pilates daily, plus there is a gym and spa.  Can't wait. 

This is kind of my birthday treat, going over to dark side of FV55 is something to celebrate!

SB - about the races, I have been able to use them as training runs.  I probably didn't need to do a race pace 20 and race 3 of the halfs though, so I am listening to alternatives because I do want a cracking result, even if it is amidst the London throngs.

I take Vit D3 2 x 25ug year round, check it out via a search [rather than an advert] for multiple benefits.  I also use a lightbox at this time of year.  

FH - You are so committed in every definition I can think of, and you have shown endurance and resilience that surely deserves recognition.  Good luck for the 9th!

mcs - I have Skins - they do vary though.  The most expensive recovery ones I have are gloriously comfy but there is little compression effect, whereas the plain ones really do feel like they make a difference both during and after.

A lot of it might be in the mind, but I enjoy the science part and am fairly convinced by it, in fact I had some really small 3/4 tights that had a brilliant compression effect long before I heard of the venous return aspects etc  

I MIGHT still do the Bedford Half Ten and BoD - you are storming Bo!

Hope everyone has a fab weekend. 

• RR enjoy the weekend that sounds ace and I think running is glorious for embracing ageing, I am actually looking forward to my 40th in feb so I can go pot hunting and set a whole new set of PB's!

MCS, love skins I have 2 pairs of shorts and 1 pair of longs, I use the longs when required, e.g. when I race two days in a row to help recovery.  The shorts are ace for racing in wet conditions as they hold zero water, I found this out when I used them for steeplechase for the first time.  I don't know whether this is good or bad but they have no thermal qualities what so ever so do not keep you warm in winter.

• Morning all

It's Friday so in my world that means DOM, da DOM dom DOMMMMs.  Crikey this going to the gym is way harder than doing a bit with dumbbells by myself LOL.

Yesterday's favourite moment was when a spider walked across the mat right under my nose just as I was struggling to do one of my pathetic attempts at a press up - that got my arms straight I can tell you! And caused some merriment! Harumph image

Also attempted one legged burpees (with the spare leg suspended) - I was sooooooo good at those too (oh look my nose is growing).  Bring back lots of miles all is forgiven!  Looking forward to all this strength work kicking in and making me turbocharged but for now I shall stick to walking down stairs side ways for the next couple of days image

Hey oscarr - has your man flu gone yet?  Feeling any better? Results link is over on the tvxc thread - they've not gotten their website sorted yet! Not long til you get back on a plane ...

Happy Birthday reiki - sounds like heaven - bet you're gonna have a fab weekend - wish we could all be there with you (though that might not be so heavenly in your world LOLOLOLOLOL).  Remember age is just a number!  If I can emulate half of your recent results when I grow up I will be a very, very happy runner!  Vitamin D ordered and researched - thanks xx

• Ha!  I would love it if you lot pitched up! 

SB I have been doing my glute med exercises daily for 12 days already!  I usually only do the strength stuff once, can't do it, well I knew that, abandon entire awful experiment.

This time I'm just doing one little series, it should help with hip, knee etc..

I am in awe of your range of skills!