Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Choisty - strange you asking us slower lot for advice but here goes - for the marathon overall you need a combination of strength-speed-endurance training. Your 16 week plan will give you the speed and endurance so before starting the plan on boxing day i would do hills, hills then more hills plus some xc events and/or 5K park runs, all designed to give you strength plus of course lots of easy paced runs to build the base miles up to the starting mileage on your plan.  If you're feeling up to it then add in some gym type sessions for leg and core strengthening.

Hope this gives some food for thought.

• Hi all (from the comfort of a warm dry house ahhhhhhhhh! image to reiki LOL).  What a lovely trip to the garage I had.  image

FH - any thoughts on the Citreon DS3s - we quite fancy one of those next... (as a run around to back up the camper).

Choist - I would say pretty much as per the boys - 40 ish miles of as much strength work as you can muster - hills, hills and hills + some cycling + some gym work if you feel you need to be doing extra (I would add some glute work in to oscarr's recipe too if you can)

• Sleepy - just had a look (to be clear, I AM NOT ENTERING) at The Ridgeway challenge in august - 85 miles in a cut-off of a straight 28 hours - that's 3 miles per hour for 28 hours !!!!!!  The good thing is that it starts to make The Wall seem a lot easier - see the trick, eh, reverse psychology, scare the sh.t out of yourself and breath a sigh of relief that we are "only" doing 69 miles  image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

I'm jealous of people's running... image with envy

New and used cars you say? Hummm now that's interesting. We were thinking about a Zafira at some point (we've only got one, but Mrs BoD likes to carry the kitchen sink around).

Seems that I've got issues in my back like Paris training. Got me a pounding booked for Thursday evening. Been having hot baths, stretching and let Mrs BoD hurt me, but to no avail

SB: still tempted by the offer. Oh and 30.02??? Go Ben. I did a 4.48 once, on my bike, down hill image

• Dont like Citroens myself my OH had a couple prior to me and they were troublesome. We did have a couple of 2CVs which were fun and easy for me to work on. Think they are more reliable than they used to be.
    Look after that back Craig......they can be very troublesome.
    What training are SB and Oscar doing for the Wall then? Doubles at the weekend, when do they start?image

• I'm absolutely chuffed to bits....

I just bagged a Garmin 310xt with the new HRM strap in the Amazon Black Friday deals - for £150.  It's for sale in other outlets (e.g Wiggle) for £230!!!  That's my Christmas present sorted.  I've been an expert bargain bagger this year, but this is the one I'm most happy with ('cos it's for me LOL) image  

I'm off for a celebratory run now image

• Thanks for the thoughts on training while I was out.  I managed 8 x 1/2mile in 2:46 per rep in the rain, but felt very relaxed an smooth which is nice.

I learn from everyone about running and really appreciate all your collective wisdom.  I will definitiley be adding in a bunch of hills (reps and on long and easy runs), will add XC's to the mix toomight struggle to limit to 40 mpw and to go to a gym (far too warm and clean)

BoD go easy on your back, your gonna need it!

I like the idea of the ridgeway challenge, another squirreled away for when I step up to ultras

• oscarr - LOL - thank goodness - I'll be prepping for Cyprus then and I really must do Kielder in 2014.  Maybe in 2015 though hmmmmm now - need a 5 year diary image.  Nothing scary 'bout the wall - we just have to run from food stop to food stop! image

mcs - we have a Citreon just now - a Berlingo which we've had since 09 I think - it's fab for just chucking the bikes and dog cage in the back and the big hinged boot is fabulous in crap weather.  Have had many a stranger taking shelter at races!  It's been far more reliable than we were expecting too - hence why we're now quite happy to contemplate another.

Wall train officially starts 4th March but I'll be ramping up as soon as the new year starts as that programme you posted is way more than I'm currently doing - can't wait to get stuck in ...

Ten - good skills that man!  That truly is a bargain *tootles off for a little looky*

Choisty - Ben's been aqua jogging a lot lately - to help take the stress off his poorly calf - that might be worth a look as a x-training sesh sometime!  I mostly think winter is a good time to xtrain just so you are mentally fresh for big miles as much as anything.  Then when you officially start ramping up you're chomping at the bit! 

• AJ really does work, when I was doing no running at all I didn't lose anything at all which surprised me. Mind you I think I trained a lot harder and varied the sessions more.

I was thinking along the lines of what Oscarr said - XC, continuous hills, anything to do with building strength like the famed clams I'm doing now.

I'm so enthused after the weekend's scenic bimblings that I am going to do the SEAA Vets on 8 December after all.

Nice bargain Ten. I am buying nothing more, I need my entire income for treatments!

Mcs I google everything and have fixed things and replaced things I'd never dreamed of, setting up all sorts of equipment without too much panic.

I don't mess with electricity is the only thing.
  • MCS, Not at the moment, but you are on my radar.

Choisty, argee with all the above, I did it last year and the only other running I did was  a longer run, but never more than 8 miles at a quickish pace, for me that was 30 seconds quick than marathon pace.

SB, have a look at the new Vauxhall Adam, it is really cute, not out until March but you can order them.

Bo, happy to help anyone on here save money on cars, just let me know if I can help.

Ten, thats a great deal, I did one the other weekend on a Silve Headtorch (550 Lumens), £180 at Sweatshop I paid £115 online for it!!   I would recommend this headtorch, brighter than daylight!

FH

• Ten, that is a bargain, I have a 405 and a 610 would a 310xt be too much???

SB like the idea of starting chomping on the bit, trouble is I aready raring to go and I've only been back in the hutch for 1:45 since my last run, is another run now too soon? image

• Cheers guys.  SB - they all sold out within 2 minutes image, which I guess is why they call it a lightning sale image.  They sold Garmin 110 for £70 yesterday, and I have a strong suspicion that they will be offering other models sometime this week.  

The best thing to do is to look at Amazon before 8:00am and scroll through the offers for the day.  Click on the link for whatever you want, then cut-and-paste the item URL into uk.camelcamelcamel.com to see the price history from Amazon.  The lightning sale price is likely to be lower than the lowest price so far (if not, then it's maybe not a great deal).  I reckon the 410 will probably be put up for about £100, and there is plenty of room for savings on the 610.

They might not offer any more..... but "luxury" items and electronics are favourites for lightning sales.

LOL - Choisty... depends how many you need to confirm the accuracy of gps mileage on a run.

• BTW... ran 4 miles tonight including two miles @ 8:30 pace - which is about as fast as I dare risk at the moment.  Time for another roll image

• Great banter guys and gals - fly to Cyprus early in the morning for the 4 Day Int Challenge so will be doing 6k timetrial on Thurs, 11k hill run Friday, half marathon Saturday then 10k Paphos city race on Sunday - followed by loads and loads of beer and R&R til Weds when i fly back - forecast is showers but 23 degrees.

• Sounds brilliant Oscarr! Have fun.

• Very envious of that schedule Oscarr - enjoy!

• Oscarr, enjoy and have fun.

FH

• Oscarr have a great time and don't forget the race reports

Ten...fig?
  • Very cryptic Choisty... I had to have a think about that... while I was rollererering.

I've had a look this morning and found no forerunners in today's lightning sales, but I remain convinced that more will appear later in the week.

• Have an amazing time Oscarr, I am so jealous it sounds like a great challenge!

I just saw the shedule for Track and Field at World Police and Fire next year. 

Already knew that both the half marathon and the stair race were on Sunday, and that XC 10K is the following Tuesday, but the 5000 m is on Friday, and the 10 000m on Monday!

That's before I even think about going shorter or relays.

Maybe this way I don't seize up as much. 

• FH - that must be a pretty stonking headtorch you bought.  I bought an Alpkit Gamma after all the recommendations on RW, but I haven't had to use it yet.  It cost a princely £15 image  

• Morning all

Just back from a novel spot of x training - took Rascal to her first agility class - blimey she's fast!  Too early to really know what we're doing - but she loved the tunnels! 

FH - cute car - have bookmarked some pages to show Ben - we'll have to go measure their boot when they come out - the key concern is that Rascal's cage HAS to fit in! LOL

Have a great time oscarr - I'm not jealous (MUCH) image

Right - treadmill's calling - still biblical here!  Thinking of taking Rascal out with me tomorrow - she should be fully recovered from her recent op - time to start building up her training again!

• Ten, its bloody amazing. I have a friend who uses a high lumen light on his bike, his is 300 and I thought that was powerful, until i started using my bad boy !!  £15 thats sounds cheap, is it any good ?  I wanted a head torch I could use on a 2 hour + long run and see where abouts I was running, it does that no probs!

FH

• OOOooo so jealous of Oscar 23 degrees sounds nice and warm.  Very damp here this morning.......head torch I have is a Laser Lens blinds folks and dogs on the trail if I meet any, have to turn my head so I dont damage their eyes.  Awesome and very comfy to run with.   Youngest having four teeth out today for her brace to go in....she has never had any work done at the dentist I have to go and  hold her hand this aft.....ouch poor thing. She was just talking about winning at netball 6-0 last night all breakfast.
    Fancy an autumn race but cant decide yet. Snowden interesting, are there any flatter ones from August on? May there are a couple like Milton Keynes or the White Peak one which is hilly though.
    Contentment consists not in great wealth but in few wants. Thats for all you consumers on Amazon!!image

• No idea how I missed it earlier, but the Garmin 110 is up for lightning deal at 12:45pm if anybody is interested (bit too basic IMHO).

Thanks for pointing that out Choisty.

Lowest price previously has been £96, so I expect this to be £75-80 (don't hold me to that image).

• £70 ... even better for anybody that is starting out.  No HRM strap though.

• MCS - Liverpool is on in October which was good this year. Lots of crowd support and only 3500 running the marathon. Ran like clockwork too.

Have heard lots of good things about the Alpkit headtorch, Tenjiso. Where did you get it for £15?? I've seen the alpkit ones for £49!

• Ta RR sounds like you like Liverpool......see you got a good time there......well done.image

• Thank you! I didn't know what to expect from a diet marathon but was fab! Except the Parliament Street hill (mutter, grumble). How did you know my time?

I've heard good things about Snowdon too but I'm not sure I'm brave enough for a super-hilly one!
  • Hi all I've had a wierd development which may be related to the Lahars being a rad snug, otherwise I am stumped as well as stumpy, WELL I caught sight of my right big toe when I was putting my socks on at the pool earlier, and the whole lateral base, plus the back if the toe bear the vase, is purple verging on black! What a shocker, and just when I'd agreed to go XCs galore thinking I was all set with safe shoes.

Any suggestions for excellent grip and comfort? I need shoes I reckon..