Options

Hoka One One

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi Dill we did Reading to cholsey the first 8 miles from Reading weren't to bad to be honest but from then on it was hard work parts of the path by Streatly were underwater we had to climb over hedges and go around large parts of it. Also the mud was ankle deep in places i had hoka's and had no grip at all nearly ended up in the Thames my mate had trail shoes and was also strugging. The problem is  everywhere is soaked so  won't take much rain to flood these sections again and make totally unrunable. We cut are run short by 8 miles as the going was hard and i didn't want to aggravate my achilles only just getting confidence back after the injury. Hopefully there will be some dry weather this week if not i think it'll be hard work.

• Options

Thanks Lingster route sounds bad. Bet they cancel the TT. I'm sure if you can't differentiate between path and river because of flooding then they'll deem it to dangerous.

• Options
    Recently got a pair of bondi's - seem to be much better for my dodgy hip but blistering under the arch if my foot is now causing problems!

Castle burg outdoors seem to have a good hoka sale on at the moment - most models only ??80. Like it says elsewhere on this thread - watch the sizing! I had to go 1.5 sizes up!
  • Options

Hope the arch sorts itself out Andy and doesn't cause you too many problems.

Funnily enough I've just finished watching a documentary following Karl Meltzer on his 40 day, 2000 mile Pony Express run.... 

He did look a little clownlike in certain shots with his lean frame and massive footwear. He went through 8 pairs on the trip which only gives an average of 250 miles per pair although I doubt he was paying for them so it's not like he had to get his return on investment.

You have to wonder if the 2000 miles would have been a lot tougher on him without the cushioning of the Hoka's.

• Options

there is something waccy going on here.image

I wonder if people have been getting us mixed up?

I have had runners tell me i look nothing like my photo.

• Options

i thought they meant the dog.

silly me.

• Options

it's an old photo so pretty sure I don't look a lot like that anymore either! Hopefully we will cross paths some time and have a double wacky event.

Hoka update:

Received them at work on Wednesday. First impressions were that the box was a lot lghter than I was expecting, they were a little snug but I think that is a combination of the strange sitting in the sole thing and the toe protection crossing the big toe which makes them feel tighter than they actually are.

As my legs were tired, decided to run home in them. They seemed to help tired legs so can see the appeal of using them in the later stages of long events.

Not totally convinced yet but will see how they go.

• Options

Nice one Wacky.  

Thames path 100 is my next big one.

• Options

Are Hokas really worth it? Need some new trail shoes and am contemplating them but they are certainly not cheap. Been using brooks cascadia and have been fine up to 50 but going longer this year so a bit more cushioning may be nice.

• Options

I've been using cushioned Asics and on long training runs I'm feeling a bit sore now, maybe time to try them. Going to give the Endurance coach a go in Wigan, anyone tried them?

• Options

I'm working my way through the range...  I've got Bondi B, Stinson Evo, Mafate and Mafate 2.  All are UK size 10, and my normal shoe is size is a 9.  I love them.  No problems at all with any of them..   I used orthotics for 7 years before these shoes..   now, I can run without orthotics or blisters...  just put on my socks and go.  

They work for me...!

• Options

Nice collection, you opening up a Hoka museum DV? Which are your favourites?

I'm most interested in the various claims regarding a reduced recovery time after longer events. Just like you JeremyG, 50 miles in my trail shoes is ok but I don't think I'd like to do another 50 on top and wonder what state my feet/legs would be in if I did.

I guess 100 miles is always going to ruin you to a certain degree but I'm hoping the Hoka's might mean I'm less ruined. Only one way to find out image

As others have suggested, they may make quite a nice shoe swap halfway if not wanting to run the whole thing in them also.

• Options
    I used my ascis last year for the sdw100 and for the last 30 miles or so my feet hurt every step of the way it cost me so much time just because how painful they felt. I got a pair of Hokas and use them on all my long runs did the London to brighton in them last year and felt great at the end. My legs don't seem half as tired after my big runs did 30 miles yesterday over the downs and feel fresh today there not for everyone but for me they work wouldn't be without them on any ultra.
  • Options

Got out for my first decentish run in the Hoka's today with just shy of 20 on a hilly route.

No real issues and have to say, personally for me an extra half a size feels perfect. Comfortable all the way and didn't feel heavy or cumbersome which had concerned me. Probably the oddest thing was how bouncy they felt around the house just afer putting them on before setting off!

• Options
    Hokas now on sale on sportspursuit, limited styles and sizes it appears but worth having a look if that's your thing
  • Options

Can anyone recommend a shop where I can try Hokas, I'm in North West and don't know of anywhere - Thanks

• Options
    The north west is a big area - but pete bland do them!
  • Options
    I'm in Warrington, but of a trip but needs must
  • Options

Just got the new Hoka Rapa Nui for my birthday. 22 mile of trails in them today.

Very nice too. Sort of a slimline, lightweight version of traditional Hokas. I will defo be running the Ridgeway 85 in these.

• Options

How are you finding the Rapa Nui? I like the sound of a lighter version but have heard they fit smaller than the Stinson Evo (where I already have to tape my toes to stop blisters)

• Options
    Runnin man wrote (see)
    I'm in Warrington, but of a trip but needs must

Did you ever find a shop Running Man?

• Options

Hi Penguin

No problem with sizing at all. Up one full size for me same as the Stinsons. I have suffered in the past with blisters in the Stinsons but not one in the Rapas.

I do love the shoe but I wear Hokas for injury prevention during really long races and the Rapas didn't do that during the Ridgeway. They have only got a minimal drop and are too flat for me, they aggravated an old injury. So I will be going back to Stinsons. Having said that they would be great for shorter distances if you can afford to get through about 3 pairs a year as they really wear down quick.

• Options

just ordered a pair of stinson tarmac as I hear there a more ridgid shoe, my big toe joints are screwed so cant run many miles anymore so im close to turning to that dreaded word,,,,CYCLING image hopefully the cushioning and the rocker type style I hear they give will help me continue for a few more years? still to many race on my bucket list to do, Boston and Comrades next year are 2. only thing im concerened about is the 6mm drop as I have only ever run in a normal shoe which is usually 10-12mm calfs will take a beasting for a bit id imagine.