Running the poor mans sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17853592

When my dad use to see Ethiopians and Kenyans race on tv he use to explain their performance by saying they "were cow chasers" I was never sure what he meant, but I think he meant this.

Maybe one of these children will succeed . I hope so. You cant chase cows for ever.

Comments

• Take those kids, give them 57 channels of TV, give them an XBox, bombard them with adverts for McDonald's, and they'll soon be just as crap at running as we are.
  • image hehehe yeah, exactly. And don't forget mummy and daddy who own expensive cars to take you to school and back.
  • Well running is a heck of a lot cheaper than cycling, another sport, you can do anytime, anywhere. All you need is a decent pair of running shoes, and anything goes. Of course it is not that simple. But unlike swimming, or squash, or any other sport, where you can not do it for months, and still be half okay. Running you have to keep on pushing the envelope, and take it further than your body and mind lets you. Yes, its cheap to do, but you pay a big price for it.

• Reading 'Running with the Kenyans' now and cannot put it down. Race directors apparently aren't very in awe of the Kenyans as they keep winning all the prize money. I would just love to visit this country.