Paris Losers

Comments

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

ummm...yeah...I think never again but this is the third time in my life I've been THAT bad so I know better. imageimage I would have loved an irnbru (or even Jamacian ginger beer.  Ginger good for stomach, fizz good for all) but couldn't even move far enough from porcelain bus and couch to go buy some. image

Am back on the wagon though with run home last night and run to work this morning.  Think i've over done it though as also had quite a full on pilates leg session so going to give running a miss tomorrow.  Got super supporter's 40th drinks tomorrow night and he's not dealing with it well so may have to down a few sympathetic glasses with him.  Thought of drinking gives me the shudders though.

Poor dogs!  I HATE, absolutely HATE people who do not have their dogs (and kids sometimes) under control or realise the threat they pose to others.  I wonder how they'd feel if someone ran up to them and started attacking them... image

right, have caught up on you all time for bed now...but food topic for the day: Tiredness as a trigger?  I made some pumpkin soup this evening and it should have lasted for three servings but only got two big ones out of it.  Wasn't super hungry but wolfed it down and I'm putting it to tiredness.

• Hi peeps, sorry for the silence... have had a nice time catching up with everyone's news.  Haven't lost a thing this week but then again, haven't put anything on so that's good.  I saw the nutritionist again last weekend and explained that I was having trouble embracing the whole breakfast thing as it is just more calories that (I believe) I just don't need but as she pointed out, I've not gained anything so it can't be that bad.  She's added a shot of aloe juice and a teaspoon of linseed to my morning routine with a follow up next week.  She said she has a CBT therapist she could recommend... still can't decide if I want to go down that route.  So, I handed in my notice last week yay image.  Funnily enough, work has been positively enjoyable since then, I am sure it is because I know I am leaving at the end of the month and have 10 glorious weeks of freedom but it's lifted a weight like you wouldn't believe.  Am hoping that I can really get stuck into a routine of proper food, training and being a mummy... kids are beside themselves with excitement about it all which sort of made me realise that maybe I have made the right decision...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Suzy - sounds like a great decision!  (cue: Radar_sal metaphor of the day) Yup, the tunnel is always easier once you see the light at the end of it.

• Good for you Suzy.

I'm having a funny old time of it.  Not necessarilly a bad one though.

I struggled with the forms I was due to fill in - I really resented them.  A childish, petulant resentment that made me eat all the more.  On days where I denied myself the temptation to binge on stuff I'd find an hour or two later I caved in as I felt cheated.

Been told to ditch the forms for this week and just concentrate on thinking about my emotions (or the lack thereof...).

On days where I haven't binged on stuff I haven't been logging kcals and havent been eating too well.

Running has been poor too.  Last week I just did 1 x 11 mile fell run on the Tuesday and then the 11 mile fell race on Sunday.  This week I've done nothing but plan to do 18 miles on this Sunday...

• DLR, have you checked under the stairs or in the shed....to find where you left your mojo ?

Maybee this food therapist type malarky isn't for you. You have always seemed like a very strong willed person, and i guess you have to decide in your own head that you want to do something, no one else can tell you to do it or you will just resent it.

You were strong enough to give up the booze, which turned out to be a big change in social lifestyle, because you wanted to.

You became a runner, because you wanted to.

You decided you wanted to be a better runner, and you worked towards it, because you wanted to.

I am sure that you will regroup after this small deviation from course, when you want to, and not when someone tells you.

god, thats a bit deep and heavy for me. i will leave it there.

give dlr some ammunition, got to go and find a blow up cusion for my backside...

• Well after a week of relatively good eating but next to no exercise, apart from dog walking, the scales show no change on the KG's but a decrease of 2% on BF?? I suppose this is ok if somewhat confusingimage

Another day of inactivity today, then a half mara tomorrow if my back feels ok.image

• good luck with the half kaz, if you feel well enough to do it. if not put your feet up. congrats on the decrease on the bf. obviously loosing fat and building lean muscle hence no change on the kg's.

for me, an increase of about a pound this week, boo. but just about staying in the 170's so still happy. and bought some jeans yesterday with 32 waist and they fit, yay ! (think i was a teenager last time i got into 32's)

anyone heard from ko's ? gone very quiet on the forums ? hope all is well with her.

• Well done Alan, that must be a real boost!!!image

I have been wondering about KO's and MM too??? Where are you all????

• been mad busy this week and next as well most likely....forgot to weigh in again but am anticipating yet more weight gain....mara training starts on monday so will be on the redux next week

• Hi all, I'm here! I haven't been able to get on the forum all week - it kept telling me I didn't have authority to access the page. Other than confirming that Mr Maus hadn't put a child safety lock in place, I've no idea what's been happening.

Odd week for me. I am utterly utterly miserable at work. Totally fed up. And it's showing. I'm one of those people whose face corresponds precisely to their internal thoughts. I have NO poker face and cannot lie. If I'm miserable everybody notices. I desperately want to just say "it's all fine", keep a straight face and not say what is going on. Unfortunately, I'm resorting to locking myself into my office and not saying anything at all to anybody. This tactic is not going to serve me well for much longer and I suspect there's a Maus-like explosion in the offing. Watch out for the shrapnel...

I'm taking steps to change the situation, but these have got to be long-term steps and it's going to take a while to line up all the ducks.

Weight has bounced around a little. Lowest of 54.8, a bit of bouncing up to 56.4, then down yesterday to 55.8 and then A HUGE CARB BLOWOUT yesterday and 57.4 this morning. Eek. I don't actually regret it, to be honest. I regret the gain, but I think I just needed a good dose of sugars through the system and I actually feel clearer headed today. Have only run once in the last week and hoping for 3 good runs this week.

DLR: I agree with Alan. You are a strong person. If you don't wanna, you just don't wanna. For what it's worth - I look back at the 6 months I took to lose 27kgs and wonder how on earth I had the self-discipline to stick to it. There was just something that fell into the right place for me. 

• Audrey Brown wrote (see)

I HATE my watch - I can't bloody work it!  My interval training was without GPS which means I can't track the distance I covered each interval grrrr and what the fig is a lap button!!!! ok I am going to calm down now, I can't decide if I am an idiot or the instructions could be better, glad you are feeling a bit better, I think it would be nice to borrow your dog, a walk and calm down would be welcome 

Hi folks, hi Audrey. The LAP button simply records an interval/ break/ segment in your data. So if you have a screen say for "Average pace for Lap", this display will reset and start again. Audrey - would it sound strange if I told you that I dreamt about you last night.....?! image

I used to use programmed workouts for intervals but found them too prescriptive. So I changed to just remember what I had to run (say 6 x 800m with rests in between). After the warmup was done, I would press LAP as I began the first interval and have one of the displays showing "Distance CURRENT LAP" so I knew when I had hit 800m. As soon as I hit that distance I would press LAP again and jog slowly on to recover. Repeat for each interval.

When I get home, I have nice data, clearly segmented, but I got to choose exactly how far I ran my intervals and how long I got to recover in between. Much better than running to beeping orders form the watch!

Top tip for weight loss this week - get a bloke to remove bits of your body then sew you back up again. Simple. Worked for me. image

• After a ropey couple of weeks we've just had a weekend away.  Typical British seaside fayre: 2 lots of fish & chips, couple of sticks of rock, 2 cooked breakfasts, slice of cake, sweets etc.

Weighed myself this morning and...well..12st 10.8lb.  Around 11lb heavier than Paris.

Wouldn't have changed what I had/did at the weekend but strongly suspect a good chunk of that weight will disappear within 2-3 days of calorie counting.  Besides, it is what it is.

Firmly back on the waggon today, even wearing a seat belt, and have 4.5 weeks until summer holidays so am taking inspiration from that, and the fact that Amsterdam training starts today.

Thanks for the words of support!

Anyone see that documentary last week called 'The men that made us fat'?

• I am an emotional wreck today........imageimage and then some more imageimage.

WTF is wrong with me. I think a mild stage of panic is taking over.........I fear that this injury phase is never going to end........

• Oh Kaz. <Big hug> Anything tangible we can do to help? Tell me you're not going to work today.

• MM - Yip I am going to work to spend 8 hours standing at a till....can't bloody wait.image I am afraid that I have had too much time off to look after  my children when they have been ill and I am on a warning that next time  is disciplinary...........I thought they couldn't do that when you've been off with the kidz but what do I know??? all I want is a hug, I am feeling very sorry for myself today. image

• My heartfelt empathy. It does sound like your employer is, erm, suboptimal. Surely they can't discipline you for genuine absence? Is there a union you can talk to?

If you like, I can send my spaniel over. He's very good at licking ears until giggling fits are induced...

• MM -lol, my boy just tries to sit on me and that would not be good today!!! As for the employers, they are a big company who used to be very good at looking after their employees but recently, in the last 18 months, they have cut staff to a bare minimum(half of what there used to be) to the stage that accidents are happening, and work induced injury has increased loads. On top of that they are also opening the store longer - now 7am until 11pm- and the staff are up for ' breach of contract' for refusing to work these hours.And apparently children are no excuse we should have childcare???? WTF definately needing out before I completely break down but what do I do????

Rant over sorry MM.image

• Kaz: you keep ranting until you feel better. But seriously, if you have hurt your back because of work, then you should actually be entitled to workers compensation. Sadly, I know more about this than I'd like to....
  • Phone call from docs this afternoon to let me know my iron levels are very low still.....I so hate  taking the bloody tablets. But at least  that explains my tiredness. image

Think my midlife crisis is now in full swing - currently reviewing my job options with a look to retraining??? But then there is the  mortgage to pay when I do this?? I would really love to be able to work from home again..........life was relatively simple then.image

I could start a dog walking business!!!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Sometimes when things are really rubbish it's a good thing to look at other options - no matter how hare brained they may seem at the time.  Even though you might not decide to go with anything else, it helps to know that you could if you wanted to.

You need a good rest, madam.  Emotionally as well as physically.

• You must all think I am a complete loony. Time for the men with the white jackets!!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You sound perfectly normal to me image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DLR - yay the wagon...don't push the horses too hard to get back on track or you'll get tossed offimage Metphors are my friend and it lets a little of the crazy out...

Kaz - you're perfectly normal!  We're all a bit loony on the inside and it's good to let it out.;)  I've done it on the Paris forum tonight about my "not traumatic but still affecting childhood running experiences".  In seriousness...your work should be providing H&S training about manual lifting, assess the amount of lifting each person is doing per shift, providing lifting aids where appopriate, back supports maybe etc etc.  Have a read of this: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg383.pdf it's pretty full on but place for you to get some info.  Also look here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/HealthAndSafetyAtWork/DG_4016683 (stupid links aren't working right).  I know it's hard when you need the job and aren't in a great position, but nothing wrong with reading up on the side...

• Hey Tricky in your dream was I jumping on a rather expensive watch.  I have read your instructions a few time and will give it ago this week and report back.

Kaz - awwww, that all sounds total crap.  Its horrible when you hate your job, my work has gone from 500 staff to 439 - all going in August - it will be huge changes, so just feel uneasy about work at the moment.  I will keep my fingers crossed you find something soon, sometime wish I had a hormonal wand to take away all my crazy mood swings, crocodile Dundee go nothing on this snapper, I can be sooo grumpy.

DLR: thank you so much for your honesty, sometime when I have not been on line for a few days I imagine everyone has achieved all their goals behind my back and I afraid to look - that's really silly right?  You guys make me feel sane, supported and, well, normal in a nice way - where is that hormonal wand??

Hey RS how's that wagon, I might join you on it in the weeks leading up to Loch Ness... maybe after the summer's longest day where I get to sit in the botanic gardens till 10.00 with my carry out and the next night watch Shakespeare in the park in Glasgow... with, youv'e guessed it, another carry out, well it would be rude not toimage

Totally knackered tonight  - out with ladies cycling club - round Arthur Seat - my legs are going to be sore tomorrow image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My weight hasn't changed for 3 weeks...although I confess that with all my running around with work I haven't been as careful as I could have been.  

• Yer_maj - but you haven't gained either so that is good........and remember TD's plan and your extra running is probably building extra muscle!! image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm up by a kilo. Actually, I think the whole idea of 'diet' is not helpful... for me. I'm going to put the scales back in the garage for a few weeks and see if that helps...image

• ATM - I am totally with you there......diet just means lets eat all forbidden food!!!image I reckon its muscle too now that you have increased your training.image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Audrey - what's a carry out?

I'm having a very good week so far (well, since sunday).  Eating well and two runs into work. image will probably slip way off the wagon this weekend driving, running, climbing, yelling aka supporting the celtman, but walking 15kms up and down a mountain will be good, along with a bit of running/walking beside a knackered competitor.

Definition of diet = What you eat...it can be a bad diet, a restricted diet etc etc or a healthy balanced diet. Saying you're on a diet just means that you're eating.image I'm going for having a healthy balanced semi-restricted diet. image

• sorry RS slipped into Scots vernacular image

A carry out - pronounced 'carry oot' is anything you get from the off license.  In Glasgow you get fined for drinking in the street, in Edinburgh you don't but as some smarty pants said on Radio Scotland  'you might as well get charged the £60 for the price of a pint in George Street' (the posh street in Edinburgh). So drinking alcohol this week will be  Scottish picnic style - Thursday and Friday weather permitting - Thursday in a coke bottle and Friday, outdoor play, the Tempest so glasses and champagne daaaling - its all just calories really image