Paris Losers

Comments

• So, have we all fallen off the wagon and stopped measuring/weighing? I have a scale here at my parents house, but it's in pounds/ounces (my preferred measuring unit) and not in KG (Dutch enforcement, but oddly addictive since the number is so much smaller!). I've been fearful of getting on to see the damage that a week of delicious meals + 3 days of visiting friends and eating out/drinking have done. image Wedding is next Saturday, so this week I'm only eating cereal at breakfast, and then fruits/veggies/beans (no grains) for the rest of the day.

I do have some measure of my weightloss, though, other than simply a decrease in KG. I ordered my bridesmaid in a US size 6 (UK 8, EUR 36), and I had to have it taken in 2 inches (~5cm) around my chest, and 3 (~7cm) in the waist. I did purposely order it big, but ... !

I have notice that either I bloat or gain so easily in my stomach/waist, not my hips/thighs. The logic I was always told was that women gain in their hips/thighs, but me ... not so much. Can anyone offer insight into how/why people gain where they do, and if there's any means of targeting/preventing such localized weight concentration?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

it is very quiet in here.  Maybe we've all purged out...

• KO's: well done you! I suspect if you hopped on the scales, you would find a drop, or at least no gain. Even if you weigh the same, it sounds like you're on the muscle gain train. A lot of the stuff I've read suggests that measurements are a far better indicator of weight loss than just the number on the scales. 

I think the latest research is uncertain as to whether spot reduction is possible. The spot that one tends to gain in depends on body types and is, sadly, genetic. Over here there are plenty of weight loss companies that suggest it is possible. They charge $1000 to run a series of blood tests and then recommend a diet based on this. I know a couple who both did this and it was a complete failure. Don't be sucked in...

I hear you on the stomach bloat. If I'm going to notice it, it's going to be belly. My thighs look like thunder thighs no matter what I do. And I find a definite correlation between weight gain and carbs eaten late in the day, so I think your approach sounds perfect.

If you google body shapes, you might be able to find some more info. I've got some interesting stuff in a book, that I'll scan in and send you when I head into work on Monday.

I have had a surprisingly long period of self-discipline.

Had my first week ever of seeing the same number the whole week and then a drop of 1kg.

So, I'm now at goal weight, as well as feeling a lot fitter, stronger and more clear-headed. A key plank in all of this is running every day. I've been trying to wind up to higher quantity of runs. Not necessarily harder or longer, just a daily run and I feel all the better for it.

• First weigh in for 2 weeks - down 1kg, but up 1% BF image but I am hoping this is down to the lack of exercise with my back problems. Viseral(spelling??) down 1 too( whatever this means???) .image

The good news is that I am now managing some running but anything above 5 miles is hard and painful so I am just doing the short runs but adding cycling, elliptical machine and yoga to the mix plus lots of dog walking.

At this moment I think my September Marathon is not happening, its only 13 weeks away so the chances of getting enough training in is unlikely. TBH I am not that bothered.image

• Kaz - visceral fat is the fat that's stored internally around your organs.  It's the hidden stuff that apparently carries a higher health risk so losing that is great news.

I find the BF and KG changes often go like that and probably relate to hydration.  As an example if you deliberately didn't drink for a period and lost 1kg of water from your system you'd weigh less overall but that would be down to water loss not fat loss so the fat percentage/proportion of your overall weightwould go up even though you hadn't put any fat on.  That make sense?  Chances are weren't quite fully rehydrated when you weighed so some of the loss was water hence the fat seemed to go up.

I get the opposite after rest days too - expecially if I ate a lot and restocked glycogen/water levels to normal - as my weight suddenly goes up but body fat percentage can drop by 2-3% at the same time.  I'd think days like that are probably the truest reflection of body composition.

• DLR- So really I haven't lost any weight just water but I haven't gotten any fatter either!!! I suppose thats ok.image

• One for the Ladies - New body con dress which fits absolutely lovely!!!  now what to wear under it to make sure no visible lines or adding any lumps and bumps??? It looks fine without anything underneath but I won't be venturing out like that!!!  No comments DLR image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

COME on Kaz, go britney styles!  Even the orkney's need a thrill sometimes.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Kaz: If you figure out what to wear, I'd love to know! I'm too scared to attempt such an item.

Have been bad, bad, bad Maus today.
  • So, Kaz is going out commando and Maus says she's a 'bad girl.

How I love this thread. image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

It's all for you DLR.  You know you're the pimp daddy.

Did 15kms today and the wheels didn't fall off!!  YAY!  Did have to pod up to get through it though image

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

It's all for you DLR.  You know you're the pimp daddy.

Does that mean I get to wear a safari suit and a fedora hat with leopard print band round it?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

with a jaunty cane, white limo and gold tooth.

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

with a jaunty cane, white limo and gold tooth.

I know, I rock that look.

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

KO's: well done you! I suspect if you hopped on the scales, you would find a drop, or at least no gain. Even if you weigh the same, it sounds like you're on the muscle gain train. A lot of the stuff I've read suggests that measurements are a far better indicator of weight loss than just the number on the scales. 

I think the latest research is uncertain as to whether spot reduction is possible. The spot that one tends to gain in depends on body types and is, sadly, genetic. Over here there are plenty of weight loss companies that suggest it is possible. They charge $1000 to run a series of blood tests and then recommend a diet based on this. I know a couple who both did this and it was a complete failure. Don't be sucked in...

I hear you on the stomach bloat. If I'm going to notice it, it's going to be belly. My thighs look like thunder thighs no matter what I do. And I find a definite correlation between weight gain and carbs eaten late in the day, so I think your approach sounds perfect.

If you google body shapes, you might be able to find some more info. I've got some interesting stuff in a book, that I'll scan in and send you when I head into work on Monday.

I have had a surprisingly long period of self-discipline.

Had my first week ever of seeing the same number the whole week and then a drop of 1kg.

So, I'm now at goal weight, as well as feeling a lot fitter, stronger and more clear-headed. A key plank in all of this is running every day. I've been trying to wind up to higher quantity of runs. Not necessarily harder or longer, just a daily run and I feel all the better for it.

yup been off the wagon - back on it now though as i have a wetsuit to squeeze into by the end of the month image

• Ah, so you went ahead and joined the fetishist website then SR?image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I've gained.  Women's stuff, which is about to add to the delight of intervals, too image

But BF down so that's good.  I'm about halfway there on my total weightloss plan and although it's slightly salower than I would have liked it's also seeming to be sustainable and not sending me too far round the bend.  I also tried on a pair of size 10 jeans at the weekend and they fitted perfectly - I haven't managed that in about 12 years.  Mr Maj told me to buy them....they were £225!  I didn't.

• Damn right yer_maj.  You don't want any of that cheap tat eh?

My glass is definitely filled to the mid line.

Half full

• I'm 6.4lb lighter than 14 days ago
    • My body fat is measuring its lowest point since early May

Half empty

• I'm seemingly a pound heavier than a week ago

I'm pretty sure it's a half full situation though.  Partly because I've (by and large) stuck to planned eating and not binged on a couple of occassions that I might otherwise have done, but also suspect that I'm well hydrated and still 'full' from yesterday's big, big tea and that's upped my weight and decreased the %BF.

Content enough with progress and will see what next week's figure brings.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

6.4 lb is a beeeeeeeeeeg loss image

I've got my running mojo back this week so hopefully my bloaty gain will all be gone in a few days

• Chilling out in this place does me good. So many normal people like me here image

My scales reached a several year high this morning. 69.3kgs and 12.3% BF. Before you all yell at me and say how good that is, may i remind you it's all relative. A few months ago I had BF down to 6.9% and was 65.9kg (neither are my goal or ambition - I don't have any).

But a growing sense of losing muscle and fitness which I'd love to turn around. Doc this afternoon has given me the all clear to think about training again. I still have some swelling in my leg muscles to overcome before I'll feel comfortable, but the op was only 18 days ago. I seem to have got in the habit of eating chocolate every day which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't help much. Not sure I have the discipline to not do it though. I mean, I wouldn't do it apart from the fact that it is tasty...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

yeah, those food habits...I've developed a Fish and chips one in the past week.  Have had it 3 times since wednesday image Did run into work this morning though. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Chilling out in this place does me good. So many normal people like me here image

Normal is a very subjective word, my friend....

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/tumblr_m09ig7S1f41rpba0wo1_400.jpg

* Well, it made me laugh....*

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

hee hee hee, me too.

•  That statement will definately apply to me if I keep on eating like I have today............chocolate, chocolate and even more chocolate.........but  it is the first I have had in 2weeks - does that really mean I can eat that quantity?!?!?image God it tasted sooooooooooooooooo good!!! image But now I feel sooooooo sick!!! image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I finished off some rice cakes at work today and now my pee smells like rice cakes...that's not normal but kinda funny. image

Am currently resisting the urge to down a bottle of white wine...it's the thought of having to run into work tomorrow morning that's keeping me in check...for now...

Should be out supporting Yer_maj...but this work thing is not good.

• Kaz - if it's a one off, or not a regular occurence, then it's ok.

Hang in there Sal.  Work is a shitter but you'll be well out of it soon.  Mind you, sniffing your pee is a bit weird...

• DLR - Definately a one off......My current state off mind tells me that I am going to weigh every second Sunday, and after that weigh in I am going to have a day off eating whatever I feel like as I reckon its good for the metabolism!!!!image  On Sunday I weighed but never felt like eating anything but I made up for it yesterday!!! Now to behave myself for 10 days.image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yep, hang in there Sal...it's a pisser for sure...and this too shall pass.  It just doesn't feel like it at the moment.