wolverhampton marathon 2012

124»

Comments

• This was my first Half Marathon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The support from the locals had my smiling all of the way around. Especially big thanks to the old bloke and his wife, about half way, on their front lawn spinning a clacker and shouting "Gew on me mon, yam lookin good." Which actually had me laughing. I almost ran down the cycle lane at the end too, lol what a goof! This good first experience has me excited for the Birmingham Half Marathon in October.

• Brian Smith wrote (see)

I,ve got 900 photo's to upload, will take a few days depending if I'm out driving.

Fist photo;s are on www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk

Thanks for taking the photos Brian. Much appreciated!

• yes cheers bri for the great photos. and thanks in advance for the coming running season too! image

congrats muzza on your win, that was a fantastic time on a tough and challenging course. you had a strong finish and still had a spring in your stride.

and forbes.... you shud knock a few minutes off your time at bham. pace yourself well and push on that hill at the end

• I like this marathon because it is well organised. West Park is easy to access, baggage storage efficient and few hills. Particularly like the high profile presence of St Johns Ambulance in case anybody got into trouble. 

• Evening All,

Sorry to hear about the runners at the front going in wrong directions.

I like the race well organised etc,  There is enough information on internet to find out what the race offers in the way of support, how many runners etc.

• Muzza wrote (see)
    Thanks luvsapb, goes to show even the fast boys can blow up or not show up. Usually 2.55 would only get me a top 10 at wolves. Can only beat who shows up I suppose.

Muzza- A win's a win.  I'd love to walk around telling people I'd just won a marathon!image

Was the course different this year?  Went like a dream last year, I thought.image

• Well done Muzza..like your attitudeimage

I loved the fact that individual families showed their support. At mile 18, there was a table laid out with water bottles and sachets of orange squash AND the best ever smiles and encouragement. These weren't marshalls, they had done it for kindness. Loads of kids bombing about on their bikes encouraging folks was great, drinking blokes outside the pub at about mile ?? were very encouragingimage..but I am a lady! All in all, a good day out!

• Brer rabbit, when you said you saw me emerging from the bushes I though you meant after going for a wee then remembered I didn't stop!

Which way, I remember you passing, well done on your strong finish, I was dying! In the last half mile I looked behind a couple of times to check for ladies as if I really had to I could have given it a bit more but since I wasn't going to get a pb there didnt seem any point in working harder than necessary!

So was she second lap different? I must admit that in the second lap I thougth a few bits didn't look familiar but I am not the best at remembered routes.

I did notice for the first hour or so my garmin was pretty much spot on then all of a sudden it was 0.1 ish out then some time later it was back to be close on again!
  • I somehow managed 26.61 miles. I really should stop taking the wide routes lol image
  • Hellen LOL re bushes..I did in fact have to dive in there for a tiddle!!

Was hoping for a 3:30 time but lack of any other runners for most of the time reduced pacing..bit gutted really-I should have started with you instead of behind the fun runners. Got blocked then had to thrash it a bit and then...I was lonelyimage

Second lap did look different but may be lack of supporters made it different. Anyway, GFA for London 2014 in the bag if I fancy it after next yearimage

• Thanks all usually that time would be top 10 on that course, I've come the last 3 years and we enjoy it, good atmosphere and friendly my 17 yr old son does the half 94 min and mrs does the half in 2.21 someone has to win and someone has to come last, even the people whom I was lapping still doing the half were screaming at me the last 2 miles when I took the lead, amazing and I loved it. Famous for a few mins. I passed the guy and told him to keep going not knowing he was leading then suddenly I was surrounded by flashin bikes and a car with a time in the roof, I asked the guy on the bike wots going on, I was totally oblivious to wot was happening, he said its the lead car! I replied where is the leader he said your it pal! Oh my I said..... Ish! I then bolted and did the last 2m faster than I did the last 2m of a 10k the wk before. Adrenaline and being scared is a funny pain free thing! Happy to say the mrs has recovered from shock now, just waiting for her to sober up! image
  • muzza.. you're also in our local paper. if u want a copy give me a msg

• Well this was my 3rd HM this year and hadnt planned to do it ( as doing another HM next week ) and ran a 10mile training run on Thursday but SO GLAD I DID IT

I struggled to get to Wolves ground to park and heard the gun go off just as i was emerging from the portaloos but did see the Jamaican bob sleigh team just infront of me ( which i over tookimage  ) good thing with being at the back I guess lol

I have to say I didnt take much notice of where I was running probably cos I was too busy talking to all the fabulous people doing it and I met some amazing people

MICK N PHIL OMG, feel so priviledged to have been able to run so much of the race with u, and when u left me u kept turning back and shouting me, so it helped me keep you in my sights and glad i got to run again with you about mile 9  It was just brilliant running along side you and holding Phil's hand, I know you were disappointed with ur time but MICK YOU ARE A BLOODY INSPIRATION!! you gave me so much yesterday that i could dig in and keep going and finish with a PB of 2.27, i've never run that quick before, i'm a real plodder at the back!!

I also met the amazing Simon Beresford with Down's syndrome , another brilliant guy to run with who came in just behind me, wow, i was truly inspired on this run yesterday let me tell you with amazing people that made me feel lucky to be able to take part 

the hill to the finish was soooooooooooo long that last half mile seemed to go on for ages but my club runners were there to cheer me on so that helped

thought marshalling was good, only one part on a crossroads were there were 3 roads on traffic lights and had to shout to the marshal which way but lots of water which was good and they even opened the top for me ( i must have looked like i needed it )

got lots of cheers but then i guess it was helped with who i was running with tee heeimage 

I would love to do this again, as really enjoyed it and local to me

sorry i missed u Clairster and BR thats cos i couldnt get to park with all road closures i had no idea where i was going lol

and Muzza I stood on final corner and when i realised it was the leader i stood and cheered you on, fantastic time mate, well done

• I did see it online as the chap interviewed me! I don't buy many pics but I'd like some if you know of any! Brian mills took some good ones
  • I have seen mick and Phil at many a race, if not running but supporting and yes there an inspiration! Well done hannasmomuk good luck Sunday!
  • yes brian smith is the man for photos. www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk just follow the links

• yay there is a photo of me there, love it, Thanks Brian i've commented on it too lol

Thanks Muzza  Did you say u were doing Chester? 

• Thanks everyone foryour kind comments. Still got 600 cracking photo's to upload.

Pass the word around about the link because as you can see from their website, I don't get any help whatsoever from the organisers regarding links to my website.

Off to Harper Scarper Wed night, a wedding to do on Satyurday, and the Lake Vyrnwy half on Sunday - busy week ahead.

• Brian, was going to say if u weren'tdoing anything Sunday to photo the bacchus marathon and half, its on a vineyard and everyone dresses up and there r wine stations as well as water stations, think u would get some interesting photos
  • No Chester for me, i have loads planned but Dublin will be the next big event really.

• well doen folks image

great to see Mick & Phil

Sorry I missed you HannahsMom - see you at Gloucester?

SOrry I missed you too BR, knoew you would fly round image and had a sneaky suspicion H might just come first...

• Hiya Clairster..are you doing LDWA Hills and Dales on Saturday by any chance?

• hello ) nope, i have the yorkshire man on sunday..are you at H&D? looks like a nice event image

• Muzza- Well done on your win on Sunday. You absolutely mugged me on those last few miles!! Ah the things you learn on your first marathon

Didn't have too much problem with following the course except for one point on the first lap but luckily people ahead of me were coming back from their own deviation and so didn't lose much really. Asked the leading guys in the half to let organisers know about the missing signs for others further back/those going round again. Second lap was fine with chasing the lead guy and therefore could see him/lead bike. Have the car and the bike meant I was quite protected on the roads heading back home, but I can imagine that it could have been quite treacherous further back. Mind you seeing the time on the clock on top of the car slipping away was a bit annoying image

• I wouldn't worry to much m8, u look like a good runner but the inexperience marathon running will make you a better runner, best way to learn is to blow up and hurt, people cant teach u some things. All I ever do is run looking at my clock and pace, I knew I wasn't in best of shape so paced it just right. You still have time to get GFA so squeeze another in bafore the cut off and use wolves as a learning/training run. Plenty of marathons about and I'm sure u can do what you need to do. For me to take 4 mins out of u in 2m u must have been in a world of pain so well done for getting around mate!! Good on you!
  • Well done on your win image. Who did the prizes go to? Top 3?
  • Thanks SteveV, Top 5, plus 1st in age group! No trophies just vouchers

• I should have stayed to claim my 5th place lol. I take my hat off to the guy who finished 3rd. He came flying past me in the last couple of miles as if he was doing a 5k. Top effort
  • Clairster you doing Gloucester next year then?  I dont know whether I will be there this year as I was in cheering squad last year 

What events are next for you Clairster and Brer Rabbit?

Well done on those who came in the top 5, well impressed

• imageHey HHUK..next for me is Beauty and the Beast marathon, then Chester .. then my beloved Snowdonia. I got a £40 voucher today too..well chuffed. Thanks Wolverhampton marathon-I didnt expect thatimageimage

What about you then Jo. what's next?