Tiger balm and injuiry

Hi guys

Im a little confused. I know if you sustain anacute injury, RICE is needed to stop inflammation, help with the pain etc. Heat is better for chronic issues to help relax the muscle when the inflammation has subsided, as it widens blood vessels, thus increasing oxygen etc to the muslce-this also helps with ongoing inflammation by getting rid of any fluid build up. But, why then do people recommend heat rubs such as tiger blam after an acute injury, applying it straight away...isnt this a contradiction, as you need to stop the inflammation, but heat rubs like tiger balm increase the blood flow. I understand if you used it 3 days later, to help lower inflammation when the body isnt sending blood etc to the area to heal anymore, the same idea as heat therapy applies...but straight after, i dont get it. I use boxing linment on my shins when i do muay thai too, which acts in the same way, but again, despite this being the normal method of application throught out this martial art, shins still nearly always become inflammed after muay thai, but the oil is put on before and after. Again, isnt this a contradiction, i mean RICE and tiger balm do opposite things, dont they?#

Im really confused and just needed someone to clear this up for me please, if possible. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Furthermore, if inflammation is a natural process, the beginning of the nautral healing process by the body...why apply ice at all. Why not let the inflammtion take its course? I might be sounding idiotic, but im just looking for a clear concise answer. Thanks again!
  • Ice after exercise to reduce inflammation, use heat packs (or tiger balm) on a 'normal' day to help relax the muscles. Particularly effective if you do it before stretching.

• ok thanks. i know heat rubs give the feeling of heat, but is this considered as heat therapy?

• Heat rubs work by increasing blood flow to the area of application, and increased blood flow speeds up healing.

BUT, if you apply heat straight after the injury (or heavy exercise) the increase blood flow to the injured area will increase swelling, which in turn will exacerbate tissue damage and prolong recovery. So RICE first, heat later image

• like 2 hours later, or 2 days? and thanks for your help
  • I would ice for the first day and then use heat after that - unless the area still looked very swollen, in which case I'd probably stick with icing it.
  • good stuff...thankyou for your help!
  • Tiger balm has anti inflammatory properties in it aswell 
  • Alys6Alys6 ✭✭
    Sorry to crash in on your thread Dan Francis 2 but, as a newbie, I need to post 3 comments before I'm able to start a discussion thread. :)
  • Hi there, from what we understand, ice doesn't necessarily reduce inflammation. Instead, it will slow the metabolism of the healthy cells around the 'damaged' area. This is important because these cells may not receive the oxygen needed to survive as a result of the 'damaged' area.

In regards to heat rub, the evidence is inconclusive. However, it does seem logical to think that its roll in acute injuries is redundant. Hope this helps.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Alys6 - appreciate the need to post 3 comments, but adding a comment to this effect to a random thread isn't very constructive? There are loads of threads on here, and if you've got nothing to say which is relevant to any of them, then do you really need to start another thread? Is there nothing going on in this forum which is of any relevance to you? Sorry if seems negative, but I presume you wouldn't just walk up to people having a conversation in a pub and tell them that you had to get involved in three discussions, so count this as one?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice welcome. This 5 year old thread was probably not going anywhere anyway so it seems a reasonable way to clock up 3 posts.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Fair point - hadn't realised it was 5 years old. Just read this back and I could also have worded this a little better - no offence meant.