Options

Girls and sport

13»

Comments

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

i HEART Fatima Whitbread.

• Options

My boyfriend was utterly smitten by her when she was on that jungle programme. She had something of a shock-and-awe effect on him. I don't blame him, she is rather impressive...

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Nobody would pick up a javelin because it's a boring limited sport and only of interest if you happen to be extremely talented at it and can win - nothing to do with Fatima Whitbread.    There are some good looking female pole vaulters but I don't see girls rushing to take that event up either.    

As for girls and sport - if alternatives to traditional sports appeal more to girls I can't see the problem.    Yoga and dance are not inherently less valuable than running or tennis - OK they lack the competitive element but I don't think competing in something you dislike and aren't any good at does you any good.

Having said that not all girls are non-competitive.   My eldest (13) is very into clothes and her appearance but she still plays netball for a club and the school (even though she's not great at it) and youngest (10) does triathlon, bike racing (track and cyclocross), plays football in the local boys league (mixed but it's 99% boys) and plays netball for the school.   What she HATES about PE lessons is they don't get to play proper competitive sport - but then she is massively over competitive at everything.   So as long as girls that do want to compete in traditional sports don't miss out making physical exercise appeal to all can only be a good thing.

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    If we pander to children's insecurity do you really think it's going to help them in the long run?
  • Options

Hockey and barbaric are 2 words which seem to go together perfectly.

At school we had an even worse twist to it.  Hockey on redgra - this was pink compacted gravel and if the ball was hit in a certain way not only did you get the ball coming at you but a spray of gravel too.

Hideous.

Only enjoyed in the Lower 6th when we played mixed sex, no rules hockey and it became rather fun if more dangerous image