Winter 100

Comments

• POS is starting some time after 11 pm on the Friday 23rd - no idea of distance or time limit so why specify a start time up front?  I guess there will be some overlap of courses and certainly at the hall but then I could be completely wrong - oh , the excitement of it all!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Because the people running it have to have a vague idea of when to be at the start area!

• The entry fee for the POS is interesting. If its proportional to the W100 the the POS should be a 3mile sprint but then again I suspect a Malicious Streak in the organisers .The whole concept is incredibly devious. Its possible that the whole thing is run just to give the W100 runners a nice warm feeling that others are having a worse time than them.

• Well that concept is lost on me tbh Ian. For all I know it might be to let them do the W100 on the cheapimage I wouldn't feel happy that someone was having a worse time than me on the run but then again I'll probably be a bit tired to notice on the day
  • I love the marketing for the POS - The Worlds Most Pointless Ultra  image   Genius!!

It's going to be a good weekend for sure.

• Looks like I am out - metatarsalgia in right foot - damm painfulimage

Will not run until late next week to see if it has cleared up at all and worth giving it a go

Anyone think that Hokas might help?

• Any word on the injury Veggie? I think Dill tried Hokas recently, may be worth a pm to him?

Looks like I'm in, little more treatment this weekend and next week but if nothing else happens I'll at least make the start line. You get a t shirt for starting right?
  • Nah, I think u get them at the end image

But good news about you making the start line. Now if you can bring the sunshine that would be a double bonus, long range says rain due Saturday!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Good news Lirish... I will prepare some words of encouragement for the early hours image

• Another physio session for me tonight and a deeply painful calf massage. All good though. Achilles feeling good so ready to rock n roll. Race day beckons.

Veggie i do love my Hokas but i've had to ditch mine for this race. Too flat and aggravate my Achilles. They are fantastic at lessoning the impact on your joints, not sure if they'd help your foot. Probably too late to try. Hope you get yourself sorted.

Please no rain.. Cold but not rain...

• So if I just turn up at the end I'll get oneimage

There's little chance I'll make it into the early hours WiB, unusually for me I'm planning to pull out before I make a complete mess of myself, I'm hoping for at least one leg but we'll see
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Get yourself taped up with some Rocktape mate and you'll be good for another 3 legs after the first.

• Have thought about that but is it any good for a groin strain/hernia? Need to do some googling maybe
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I'm sold on it Lirish, have found it helps me a lot. I am unsure of how it would work on a hernia but certainly worth a look as to if there is any benefit I would say.

• Does anyone know how the course conditions? Looks like heavy rain early in the week, then some drizzle through the weekend - could be worse image

+1 for Rocktape - it keeps you running when you should really be in traction.. Not sure how you'd tape for a hernia though. I'm sure youtube will have a few suggestions though

• Cheers guys, anyone know where it's available in shops or is it online only?
  • Ive never seen it in the shops, but the delivery is pretty fast from www.rocktape.net

• lol, in theory I'm supposed to know all about the Rocktape/Kinesio tape thingie. Its one of those things where the powers-that-be like to think its a panacea for everything. I would guess that you would be looking at supporting the muscles surrounding the hernia to stimulate the healing process. However, I think its effect would be more psychological rather than physical. Dont get me wrong, it has some good points - its excellent for healing bruises. And it may be good for cutting down blister generation on long runs (well I'll soon know if thats the case next weekimage ) If you are going to the race, come and have a chat with me at the start (black tites + grey x-over rucksack)

On a more positive note, by this time next week, we'd all have finished the W100......yehhhhh in advanceimage

• If  it does rain then drizzle then we will have puddles. Do they get very deep on the course ? I normally wear fast draining shoes so no problem but have been using Inov8 rocklite 318s as I like the support on long ultras. Problem is the Inovates are gortex and I don,t fancy shoes filled with water. I am also too mean to pay £30 more for the non gortex 305,s.

• I'll be taking advantage of the positioning of the Streatley aid station with lots of changes of socks and shoes
  • Ian the ridgeway legs I wouldn't see too much of a problem on, it's normal reasonably fast draining trail, a little undulating but nothing I've seen there would pose too many problems with puddling other than a few farm tracks which are easily navigated.

What may be an issue is the Thames path section if it floods or even if we have sustained rain in the week leading up to the race, then there are parts that could get very boggy indeed
  • Here comes the rain image

[queue the Eurythmics tune - come to think about it I was humming that dirge all round the south downs last year!!!]

• Just tried to get the mandatory kit in my pack. Can't get the the base layer in whatever i try.

I'm either changing packs, wearing it or carrying it round my waist.

Physio wants to tape up my calf but i was thinking calf guards.  Decisions decisions..

At least i've decided on shoes, Brooks it is...

• BBC reckon rain should pass on Friday. Fingers crossed on that one Slaneuk

• Dill, does he mean taping them up as in compression, hence like calf guards. Or does he mean providing support to the achilles tendon by effectively providing a "second tendon" on the outside?

• Dill I highly recommend calf guards, I suffer from tight calves when I run and hence slow recovery from long runs, they've almost completely eliminated the tightness, I wouldn't do anything over 30 miles without them now.

I'm thinking brooks cascadia but I may bring a pair or road shoes for the Thames path legs, haven't run those but most of it is fairly hard packed isn't it?

Re the base layer, is there a need to carry a spare or did it mean wear it? Similarly with the legs, I took it to mean if you wore tights then there was no need for another layer
  • I am recovering from Achilles tendinopathy so he is concerned with protecting that but i keep getting calf strains for some reason and have lost all confidence with my lower legs. I was after a bit of security from the calf guards. What do you think?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

*Dill* I have used both calf guards and tape. I much prefer tape but I ran Lakeland 100 last year in 2XU calf guards and they were good throughout. So, I would say just go with whichever is your preference.

• Li My shoe choice was made after centurions email today they recommend trail shoes as the course is very muddy. Will chuck my roadies in the van anyway.

I took the info to mean you have to have on your person a base layer. Wear or carry.

I always wear shorts so will carry leggins.

• I'm planning for both image I find the tape helps to support the achilles while the calf guard reduces strain (pain?) in the gastroc and soleus