Winter 100

Comments

• Based on today's weather, this could end up being "Thames Path 100 the rematch". 

• I have done several races where the Thames has flooded so much so that huge sections we had to fine an alternative route or go swimming!
  • Good luck to everyone doing this tomorrow - it may get a bit damp!
  • Dont mind the rain, it's the wind that gets me!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Heading up shortly to start helping out... most likely taking a run out on to the course to check out the flooding!

Those in Hokas should be ok, it will take a couple more inches of rain before your feet start to get wet! image

• ha - thats a relief!! I'm heading up there in about an hour as doing the POS might see you later image

• Anyone  know if you can run in waders? As for wind it can,t be worse than this years fellsman can it?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I will see you there Mimi... Will be bringing that map case up if you still need one.

• Oh yes please image that would be marvellous thank you

• Good luck all

Having seen the weather forecast for Saturday, being injured looks like the luckiest thing to have happened to me all year

For anyone doing the PoS - the weather forecast for Tuesday looks OK image

• Feck bugger crap horsepoo

Ok, that's out my system so roll on tomorrow. Can't change the weather but we can damn well go out there and show them that it could be worse.... There could be wasps!
  • Well that was shit. Dropped at the end of the first leg, just couldn't see myself pushing on another 75 miles on a groin that was already screaming at me and causing me to limp. Not a difficult decision to make in the end but massively disappointed.

Saw Dill quite a bit and when I left streately he was looking strong and determined. Hopefully that'll stay with him because conditions all through the day were horrendous, it started raining use before the start and was forecast to continue right through to 3am tomorrow. On top of already wet week that meant the course was just a quagmire from beginning to end, so much so that it had to be changed several times before the start and ended up being somewhat of a mishmash. But no matter, one stretch of mud is much like another.

So that's me for a few months I think, I can't keep winging races on little fitness and carrying injuries, off to get myself booked in for an op to see if I can get this sorted
  • Shame you had to pull out - certainly sounds like tough conditions. What is it about us runners that makes us try and push on when injured when the obvious thing to do is get done rest!

Hope you're sorted soon. Any news on the price if string?
  • By the time we started the back markers had already done 53 miles, they didn't look like they were having fun whenever our paths crossed
  • To everyone that took part yesterday I salute you a real inspiration and a privilege to crew swancombe aid station for you all conditions where horrendous up there I am in ore of you all well done enjoy the post race beer.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭

Take it easy Lirish, sorry to hear about the injury

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • That was an epic and a half, and no mistake!

Flooding in the lead up to the race caused the race to be re routed to eliminate the two spurs that took place along theThamespath.  This meant that the entire race took place along the Ridgeway.  It started raining during the race briefing and continued throughout the day and night.  This turned the ground underfoot into an energy sapping morass.  The attrition rate for the event ended up at well over 50%. 

To add to my joys, I developed IT band trouble around the 20 mile mark which niggled me for the rest of the race.  I ended up with a time of 28.28.02, which was not what I had hoped for, but in the circumstances I was just grateful to finish. 

The organisation was up to the standard that we have come to expect from the Centurion team, and the marshals and other volunteers were amazing.  This will probably be my last race of 2012 owing to my injury, and I think it is a good note to end the year on. 

• Got my Grand Slam Buckle!!!

Thats the positive out the way. The negative? The weather, the course and the pain i'm in right now.

Well done to James for putting a race on given the conditions and the idea of a central HQ/ Aid station was great.

Major problems with the weather, it lashed down for 17 hours non stop and as soon as the rain died the wind picked up to gale force. Miles 70 to 78 were into a flat out head wind. Absolutely sole destroying. I'm so glad my jacket was up to the job.

The course was a total head f**k. We had to run out on the North spur of the ridgeway but after 5 mile we veered off to a checkpoint near the thames somewhere, total 7 miles there and 7 miles  back. We done that twice. Then we done the North spur of the Ridgeway proper 12.5 out and 12.5 back twice. Then the Southern spur 12.5 out and back. Total 103ish. So in total we ran the first 5 miles 8 times. If thats confused you think how we felt! Quite a lot of the course was thick slippy mud as well. If my slam buckle had not been at stake i could of easily dropped. Not much fun!

Nice to see Li and Ben out there just sorry your both injured. Get well soon.I think my Achilles has held up, my feet are very swollen so too early to tell. I am a wreck though, blistered feet bad and was forced to walk last 25 mile ish. Never nice. Also i've got really bad back, leg and feet pain and am currently enduring a second night with no sleep due to extreme discomfort. Hence the 3am posting.

Big thanks to all the aid station volunteers especially those at the end of the North spur with the leaky gazebo. Thought it was going to blow away at one point.

Now i've got a month to be ready for the portsmouth mara, not confident at the moment though.

• Mate you and Ben should be proud of yourselves for digging deep and gutting it out, you both showed real strength of character in truly horrendous conditions.

Ay idea what you're going to do with a dinner plate sized buckle?
  • Not a lot.. Just be very proud of it. image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Given the weather, a truly awesome achievement for all. Congratulations.
  • Amazing achievement Ben and dill! Sadly I dropped at north stoke after the first Ridgeway leg due to mild hypothermia. I was soaked to the skin and unable to leave the aid station without shivering uncontrollably.

Is out too soon to be plotting a return next year?
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Lirish - Gutted to hear you had to stop so soon. You seemed pretty positive when I saw you early on.

Dill - I was at Streatley when you finished and you looked very relieved! Huge well done on the slam.

One of the best things I heard from any runner over the weekend was before Ben set out on his last loop he put the food from his drop bags on to the aid station table for others to have and said "My mum always packs too much in my drop bags!"

• Huge congratulations to anyone who toed the line at the weekend

Dill - well done for tuffing it out. rest strong

• WiB you looked so surprised when I said hello on the first leg I wasn't sure you'd recognised me in my rain gear
  • Oh and the bees wax worked a treat. Kept the same shoes and socks for all I did. No wrinkling at all! Worth looking asset now hydropel is no more
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Lirish - I did recognise you but we were in the middle of trying to ensure the markings were ok for the new first leg after at 1am recce to get you to Wallingford avoiding the flooded parts... in the end, of course they were ok. I did them! image

pmo - Which one did you use? Just stuck it into google and get a range from £7 - £30!

• Well that had to be the most tedious run of all time!! Doing that same 6 mile stretch of the Ridgeway 8 times grrrr I think by the sixth time I switched off the headlight and ran on automatic just to make it interesting! In fairness to Centurion, there was bugger all they could about the climatic conditions and forced route changes (was greeted with "ur going to run to the first checkpoint then back again then back to the first check point then back again, then the third leg........twice, then the final leg"). I renamed the event Ridgeway Up&Down 100. The weather was pretty horrific with rain lashing down for most then the extra treat of 40mph winds blasting thru during the night. Cut right thru everything I was wearing image

Good to catch up with some people, and meet a few more. Made me smile that Ritchie (never met him b4) kept saying hi each time he passed me. Really pleased that Nicola got her third, she'll be thrilled. I've no idea if I saw the rest of you but I would have given u a smile. If you're on here let me know image

I now have the dubious honour of holding the record for the closest to the cutoff end point. So life isn't that bad :P
  • Burts bees, ??6 at Holland and Barrett.
  • Just popped into my local Holland and they only had he lip balm. I was tempted to buy six just to cover one foot but thought I'd better shop around