Options

UTMB 2013?

Comments

• Options

Thanks Drunken man you just runined my day! I didn't get into the CCC but my mate did! So I opted for the TDS and having now looked into it more I think it might have been an error as there are no mountains in MK

• Options

Totally agree with others posts about the TDS. I finished the UTMB in 2011 (lengthened course) and 2012 (shortened course), and the CCC in 2010 too. You can read my race report for 2012 here; http://kingsleyjones.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/utmb-2012-mud-sweat-fires/. Got a space in TDS this year, and more worried about it than UTMB. The terrain is a lot rougher and way more technical single track than CCC or UTMB.

• Options

Hey all, this post looks like a bit of a TDS fest !  I completed the CCC last year and am ultimately aiming for UTMB 2014 but have opted for TDS for 2013.  Like all the posts above state, I am pretty sure that overall, the TDS will be the hardest of the lot (despite most locals saying the CCC was the real race last year)!  Drop outs were so high in the TDS last year and I can only assume this is testament to how tough the terrain is in bad weather.  The weather for TDS and CCC was horrific last year and I can only assume the finish rate on the CCC was much hogher because the trails were like those on the UTMB (i.e. good).  I am under no illusions that the TDS trails will be a nightmare!  After a patchy winter's running, I will be spending most of the next 3 months running up muddy/sandy hills...

BTW - anyone over for the Marathon du Mont Blanc or the new 80km?

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CR - I'll be at the Mont Blanc marathon (for the 5th time), and TdS for the first time (although was in the UTMB each year from 2007-2011).  Verbier Trail and Davos SwissAlpine in between.  Can't wait.

MB marathon is great fun, though very hard. Double your road marathon time & that's a fair finishing time.

• Options

Nice! Surely after CCC/UTMB etc the Mont Blanc Marathon doesn't come as a shock though does it?  The thing that looks pretty bad is the long uphill finish.  Can't wait to get back there either.

• Options

I'm over in Chamonix for MB marathon CR. It is a lovely marathon and the final uphill is a killer image Quite a few of us are going so maybe email me and we can all meet?

• Options

Guys and gals, I missed the Marathon du Mont Blanc but am still in for the TDS (finished CCC last year).  Am totally psyched for it now.  I am running it with another UK based runner (his first experience of the UTMB races).  We arrive on Monday 26th but I note we can't register until Tuesday.  It would be good to meet up with any other UK runners....perhaps on Monday night!

Question:  is there a hot meal at Cormet de Roseland or not?  Map says no, but guide says yes?

This is where I now spend two weeks looking at weather forecastsimage  After last years Arctic CCC, I can't work out if I want it hot or cold.

• Options

Hi Cool-runnings, not as such that I can remember last year (but I was in a bad place at Cormet de Roselund). Much like other larger TDS food places I think you can get the hot salty soup (which is very good) and hot drinks. But I think otherwise its little enrgy bars, cheese, crackers, salami, chocolate and other nibbles. Maybe its changed after last year as it was there that the heaviest rain struck and lots of people got very cold, very quick! So I'd play safe and not expect it, then its a bonus if you get it image

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

You can leave a drop bag which is distributed at Cormet de Roseland.  Worth leaving any specific food in there if you have a particular requirement.

I'm also arriving on the Monday. Had a decent run at the MB marathon this year in a few seconds over 5 hours.  Kidney problem badly affect my Davos race after a strong first half, so a bit unsure of how the TdS will go this year.  Steady start and see where I am after 5-6 hours I guess.  Can't wait to get out there now...

• Options

Odd that you get a hot meal (it saved me) on the CCC but not the TDS.  Oh well, I guess it means putting tons of nice food in your drop bag (which you don't get on the CCC).  Hot meal would have been nice though.

Ditto - just want to finish work and get gone.  2 weeks today...

• Options

Dan A - A drop bag at Cormet is also new this year, previously no drop bag during TDS. Just one bag at start to go to end with warm clothes, etc, in. A useful addition considering no hot food point in this event.

Cool-R - From 2012 guide, which I think has translated to english badly...

substantial refreshment posts : drinks (as above) + cereal or energising bars, sponge cake, chocolate, bananas, oranges, raisins, prunes, salted biscuits, cheese salami, bread (and at Chapieux and Cormet de Roselend a more substantial soup and pasta at Courmayeur and Champex).

Which I think meant a more substantial soup at Chapiuex and Cormet and pasta at Courmayeur and Champex. Is that similar to whats in 2013 guide? Can't say I remember the soup being different there to other places really. But wasn't in a good state at the time.

I guess CCC has hot food at Champex as UTMB does, so is already setup to provide. TDS CP between Bourg St Maurice and Les Contamines are at high level in large marquees so may not be possible/practical to provide hot food other than food/drinks?

• Options

Buried in the 'Regulations' page here: http://www.ultratrailmb.com/page/16/UTMB%C2%AE_CCC%C2%AE_TDS_Regulations.html - near the bottom - it says we do get a hot dish on the TDS at Cormet. 

Looking forward to this one. I'll only arrive on the Tuesday midday, so I reckon it's a case of registering, eating, sleeping, and getting up in the middle of the night to go to Courmayeur... 

• Options

LR if you're still about on Sunday night there's usually a get together of UK runners in a pub in the centre of Chamonix, a chance to compare war stories and suchlike

• Options

LR, that's what I saw.  I am going to email the organisers to check.

What's that bar called near the station? Dix Neuf or Bar Dix or something?  You are right, I think all the Centurion Running lot organise something there.  Last year in the early evening there was Anna Frost and some of the Salomon runners hanging out too.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Chambre Neuf. 

Much better bar is the Jekyll, near Chamonix Sud on the same road as the hospital. 

• Options

Thanks for the social tips...I'll be leaving on the Saturday but if any TDS-types are around on the Thursday or Friday evenings I may be able to stagger as far as a good watering hole! 

• Options

just dipping in - the best drinking place in Cham imho is the Micro Brasserie de Chamonix (MBC).  it's a home brew pub serving up 6 types of beer - with a seasonal one in the 6.  it's not in the town centre but just on the way out towards Argentiere just up from the Ecole de Haute Montagne/Sports Centre.  also do good food.  I have spent many a happy hour in the MBC over the last n years visiting Cham

the Jekyll is no longer as good since Frank sold it on about 10 years ago - it used to be a pub par excellence when he had it. it sold more Guinness in those days than any other pub in France.

• Options

Jekyll was still OK when I went last year!  Thanks for the tip FB, will definitely check that one out in my 4 day post TDS drinking haze image

• Options

CR - I don't doubt that Jekyll is still OK but believe me - you should have seen it in Frank's days - the place was jumping all the time and the food was amongst the best in town.

anyhoo - there's plenty of good watering holes in Cham.  The Pub is good as well, and the Choucas opposite used to be good but that was being refurbed in March when I was there last so maybe things have changed there now.

and if you get up to Argentiere, the Office is a legend in it's own time - it's been there as long as I've been visiting Cham and that's over 30 years now....

good luck at the TDS - events like that are way beyond me these days

• Options

Hello,

i'm running the CCC. I'm unsure from the utmb website whether, or not, I have to book the bus from Chamonix to Courmayeur. Will I be given a pass for the bus when I pick up my dossard or do I need to book now online (note says before the 17th)?

many thanks

• Options

Runners get their bus transfer ticket (to Courmayeur etc) at race registration and companions also just go to the various desks to either buy or collect their pre-ordered bus passes around the reigtration area. 

Basically Ollie, it's all sorted for you.

• Options

Excellent news. Thanks for that.

Fingers crossed the weather holds. I ran the 80km here at the end of June and there was lots of neve 2000m. That has all disappeared in the last month or so. Apart from the fact that it's very warm, conditions couldn't be better....thusfar!

• Options

I hope everyone has remembered to pack their waterproofs image

• Options
    BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

It's supposed to be cooling down after this weekend with the passing through of thunderstorms. Long range forecasts seem to be predicting rain at some point over UTMB weekend. At the moment it'll be during Saturday.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    claireshelley wrote (see)

I hope everyone has remembered to pack their waterproofs image

Can't you just sit inside one of the aid stations 'til it has stopped raining?

• Options

I'm thinking about strapping myself underneath a mountain goat so that i don't waste any time image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Does it know the way? If not how do you plan to steer it?

• Options

Heat, storms, post-event beers in Cham.... will miss that this year. Will be back in the future I hope. Good luck all!

• Options

Confused.  I am seeing wet and cooler this weekend, clearing from TDS onwards to warm sunny conditions again?  I really hope it doesn't rain all race week again!

• Options

WiB: with my eyes closed and some coca cola...... image