Piece of String Ultra

2»

Comments

• I'm doing the Winter 100

My guess is that you will be linking up the outer turn points of the Winter100 by going XCountry rather than via Streatley

• My application was declined, so I will be in the Winter 100 also!

It seems that this event drew applications from some extremely capable ultra runners. 

I will not be shocked if it is a status symbol to have been accepted into this event by this time next year!

• Yes indeed Ben, I see Mimi got in - im very far from her capabilities!  I'd be frightened to have been accepted!

• Aye there are some very capable people in this year, Mimi, double Badwater, Jungle Ultra amongst many others, Lee Chamberlain, previous JOGLE record holder, world treadmill records etc, Sam Robson, ran last years London marathon then ran home to somewhere like Ipswich!

It'd be a real shame though if the choices were based on who was most experienced or who had done the most previously, it'll be a shame if only the very best get in year after year
  • I guess that's exactly what they based their choices on?  I think they just want to test the format out first on those who they know have gone to the very edge.  Also probably to give the event a bit of a name for itself and to create some interest.  I suppose they might open it up to more applicants in following years?

• Bit of a shame if that was the case, as I see it this was billed as a run for those who wanted to test themselves, their mental strength against an unknown, if the ones chosen were only those at the top of the uk ultra scene then they've already been tested and found to have what it takes, what more do they have to prove?
  • As I understand it, the selection process is based on ability, but there is a single sacrificial virgin (like at Barklay). 

Even so, perhaps there is some honour in having put forward an honest application?

If you did, then you are obviously up for a serious scrap!

• Not quite sure what you mean Ben?
  • I am saying, that this might end up being the nearest thing we have to a British Barklay. 

• Is there a list somewhere of the lucky few - I couldn't find one on the Centurion website?

• Ben - isnt the British Barkley at Caesers Camp? image

• Hmmmmm. 

I understand that it is logistically feasible to finish Caesars Camp. 

• Not sure I agree with that assessment, the thing with Barkley as I understand it is that absolutely everything is stacked against you, almost impossible slopes, no real maps or trails for the most part,no aid stations, no start time, even the distance is reportedly between 120-145 miles depending on who you ask. In the piece of strings case all you have to contend with is no fixed distance, the trail will be good as the locality is undulating at worst, the aid stations will be the same as the winter 100, start time is posted and there's a natural cut off as its being run at a weekend and will be restricted by how much ground can be covered in that 36 hour period.

I agree the piece will be tough but it's not even in the same park as Barkley in my opinion, for comparison I'd suggest something like The Spine
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Barkley is something else completely in terms of terrain, time on feet, the extra challenge of finding the books, no support, no start time, unknown distance really.

Now, I think an awesome race in terms of just pushing your limits is the Big Dog ultra. 4 mile trail lap, everyone sets off on the hour to do a lap. If you dont get back to start the next lap you are done or if you dont go out on a lap you are done. Last man standing.

• Having reread James' blog about his inspiration for "piece of string" i think this is not about terrain at all.  "on paper there is nothing tough about it except the mental torment it will inspire".

And he refers specifically to the big international races (part. badwater) and says that he hopes to attract "the same people" that have already completed these races and seems to want to test them in a different way. 

His inspiration does seem to come from Barkley, but only from the fact that it broke him mentally - not physically.

• And this from a man who ran across America, that tells me as much as I need to know about how difficulty Barkley is
  • Oh dear, just logged into this thread to see who had got in and see the phrase "one sacrificial virgin".  Well, part of it's wrong but I have a feeling I may be the sacrifice given the other names mentioned!  Where is the list of 16 invitees available?