Options

Thames Meander Marathon

Comments

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

I did the great trail challenge marathon last month and bought a pair of  Saucony Grid Tuned Trail Running Shoes from sports shoes for 24.99. Wore them on a few short runs a week before the challenge and used them day to day to break them in. I like saucony for the fit and they might not suit everyone. try ransacker.co.uk

• Options

Hi All,

You should have all recieved your confirmation emails now, let me know if you haven't.

Mike this is a suitable marathon for irst timers, there are quite a few who have entered. The course will be well marked and there will lots of experienced 100 club members to encourage you on your way round.

Emmy, the trail is a very easy one, not lots of muds, shingle paths, concrete paths, little mud on parts by the river.

As for Trainers, if it is not too wet then it is runable in road shoes, I have ran it in road shoes with no problems, however with the recent rain if that continues then I would say a lite trial shoe like addidas canidia, dont need anything with a severe grip like inov 8 mudrocks or Salomons.

• Options

Ally, we were having problems with you email address, could you re-send it to us.  Thank you

melcelt@hotmail.co.uk

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update Melcelt. Am 95% convinced to sign up - I'm just trying to sort out logistics of getting there.

• Options

Melcelt, thanks for the notice, I'll pm you.

My tuppence on the terrain: It has gotten pretty soggy over this week and particularly the weekend.  Getting home from parkrun yesterday was not much fun.

I've don't own any trail shoes at the moment, so will be in my trusty Wave Precisions.  I'm fully expecting them to end the day brown and heavier, just as they were when I did a 20 miler on the same route in the Spring (Putney Bridge to Richmond and back).  Most of that stretch is on footpaths.  If the rain persists, I'll be much more concerned with the flooding at Richmond next to that German bar Steins, which seems to happen quite regularly. 

• Options

I am quite interested in the half but it looks like most of the posts on here are from fast runners - and I wouldn't describe myself as that image

My halfs are around the 2 hour mark...would that mean I would be running a very, very lonely race??

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Caroline - I'm slower that you and i'll hopefully be running the full... It looks to be a pretty average field where you'll have a few fast, medium and slow people

• Options

ah ok thanks Emmy - I don't mind being at the back - but its is nice to see someone ahead...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Caroline - I'll be the one looking ahead at you! image

• Options

I'll be behind both of you, hopefully in a new pair of Saucony Grid Tuned Trail Running Shoes - thanks for the tip, ADG. Amazon has already shipped them.

• Options

Hi I m interested in this one too I have also never done a marathon before, so my question may seem quite rediculous to people who have done this distance.  If you don't make the cut off time what happens.  eg would you be told to stop running? I would love to have a go at his event like emmybug as her half time seems near to mine  2hrs 30, and its not a huge big one.

• Options

Hi Guys,

Don't worry about being too slow, we welcome all standards of runners. I know there are a lot of races who don;t so we wouldn;t want to have someone not enter because they feel too slow.  We will be flexible with the cuts offs also. The cut off of 6 hours is in place so that marshalls and helpers are not out the whole day. If peopl are close to the cut offs then we will allow them to finish.

• Options

thanks for the reply melcelt

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

hope the weather isn't like today, very hot and muggy, I did 18 miles and went through 1.5l of liquids, usually only take about 500ml

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thanks Melcelt image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
  • Options

Have been thinking about this marathon since reading the forum and asking the questions and having them answered  I ve looked at the course and the hermes web site and have decided that as a very slow plodder to do this as my first marathon.  I have pressed the enter button and paid.  Gulp.  Dear organisers please don't let me get lost and if there are any other first time older marathon lady runners please identify yourself

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭

well done twinklestar. you're gonna luv it, 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You'll see me on the start line!

@Twinklestar - this will be my second marathon and i'm likely to be a plodder too (aiming for 5hrs 15).

Perhaps we should organise a little meet and greet at the start for any RW'ers?

@Melcelt - can you recommend anywhere to meet?

• Options

Hi Emmy bug thank you for identifying yourself I would like a chance to meet as I have never run a marathon 15 miles is my longest run and my half time is 2.39 a face is the crowd is alaways reassuring.  The reason this one has appealed to me is its a small field and by the river.  I just want to complete it and have put down 6 hours  I hope I don't embarrass myself

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

image I think sometimes it's always nice to see a friendly face of reassurance. This will be my second and two weeks before my next one... image I've gott he bug!

• Options

Hi guys I was just looking at the Thames Meander website for last years results to see if I will be the slowest plodder ever and both races are full.  I hope I don't disgrace myself as I'm starting to get a bit jittery about doing my first marathon, ie have I done enough training to complete it, theres a big jump from completing a half marathon to a full marathon.  What happens if I don't make it round in time.  I suppose these are normal feelings for someone doing the unknown to their body. 

Mutley do really slow plodders do this run?

• Options

Final details email received so really am doing a marathon.  Hope its beginner friendly  Gulp!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I was looking for this thread earlier! Yes, I received the final confirmation email - it's printed and ready to go (I know that i'll forget it the day before the race!).

How is your training going Twinklestar?

• Options

Hi Emmy and others Training going ok a little overuse injury on ball of foot (been to doctors he said its ok to run as tapering), but nerves beginning to infiltrate thoughts.   ie  I know I can plod a half  as I have completed 3 this year Bath, Taunton and Blackmore not fast 2hrs 30ish I can do 10k most recent britsh 10k July and 5ks  but I can t even begin to imagine what the last 6 miles are like in 26.2.  I must stop reading other peoples first marathon experiences and just have my own. I think to be honest I m scared of failing.  I notice your aim is 5hr 15 my aim is to finish thats it, so long as I can see someone in the distance I think it will be a comfort to my own fear. Twinkle x

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

is it still trail shoe underfoot for this one or will all teh sunshine dry things out nicely?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm hoping that the sunshine will dry it out! image

@Medcelt - is there any chance of getting an update on the conditions before hand? I'm not sure how much i can bring with me due to issues with the car space :/

• Options

Looking forward to the race, its my first marathon! I did an ultra earlier this year and have got the bug. Im running the london to brighton 56 mile ultra in september too! Ive only got road shoes or a pair of inov8 x-lites so will either be uncomfortable or sliding everywhere!! See you all there! image