Thames Meander Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Just wanted to endorse what "The Shark" said regarding the silent majority going home buzzing. Everyone I spoke to in the changers following the run had nothing but praise for your efforts. Mel, that was a very dignified post you submitted earlier. You and Dave put on a great event and made a lot of people very happy, you should be proud of yourselves.

I for one will be gutted if you don't continue putting this event on for years to come - it has all the makings of a classic in the British running calendar.

Despite all the hard work you and Dave put in to organising the run, you've had the humility and good grace to acknowledge this year's shortcomings. Knowing a little bit about you both, I'm sure you'll be feeling anybody's disappointment very keenly yourselves and know that if you stage a Meander in 2013 it will be a real humdinger - something we can all look forward to!

Naturally, no one's remarked on all the selfess work you've put in, or the good that will come from the money raised for such a worthwhile charity! Nice work.  

Jon image

• I think that Bill Shark's comments about a minority "picking holes in anything" is deeply insulting to the individuals affected by the problems encountered. The organisers were indeed very friendly and accommodating, but suggesting that they should "not listen" to the issues raised by entrants who had paid to take part in the event and were affected by getting lost and by being deprived of water at three consecutive water stations is nonsense, and I trust that the organisers will indeed take the comments on board, none of which have been put forward by any entrant in anger, but as constructive comments.

• It was a good event, just marred with running out of water, if this could be addressed then a great event. I wanted to post a comment on here rather than putting a poor review on the event ratings as I appreciate the organisers have worked hard on this one and wouldn't want to discourage anyone running the event in the future with negative comments. Hopefully the issues will be addressed if this is run next year rather than being ignored.

• Blimey! Pleasepleasepleaseplease do this event again next year Dave and Mel, it was great. I often go astray on trail events ( tho I know this course like the back of my hand)......and I've been at other events that have mis-calculated the water when it's hot, and it was hot. I slowed down, missed my sub 4 target by a couple of minutes (like anyone cares!!) and missed the rain (love running in heavy rain) and really struggled to keep moving the last couple of miles.......it was glorious! I run for FUN, and it was great fun. Many many thanks,

John Kipps.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Mel and Dave - I've said this already to you both but for the cost/experience/race - I loved it.

Yes - i know that you'll improve the following years races and when issues were raised to you - you did your upmost to improve the situation as quickly as you could. I was lucky enough to be at one water stop as more water was being delivered - by a guy carrying it from a pub. All the marshals tried.

Regarding the comments about 'training for the event' and 'running faster because it's a race'. I choose my races based on several things - one of them is cut off. I don't know if your comment was tongue in cheek or serious. Every single runner out there tried and did their best. That could be sub 3 or sub 6 but they all gave their best.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For anyone interested... here's my race report:

I arrived at the registration early to make sure that I didn’t hit any Saturday traffic. I registered and just tried to absorb the atmosphere with the free refreshments (bonus: Tea for free!)

Getting ready for the start line and hearing the instructions wasn’t too easy as I put myself towards the back but apart from that the start was pretty uneventful. The first few miles went by relatively easily. I was shocked to see some sub 10 minute miles in the first few miles when I felt that I was going so slowly!

I must admit that I hit a hard patch mentally around the 7 mile mark – which is VERY early for me but after having some encouragement from Mel – I managed to get past it all. The only thing that I noticed from miles 8-13 were cramps in my stomach and belly. Mile 13 passed with a new half marathon PB and I remember saying to Mel – I’m worried about crashing and burning. The thing about the route is that it’s out and back – so you run to Putney bridge and then come back on yourself so that as you’re on your way – you can see the slower runners and give them some encouragement.

The next few miles were pretty uneventful – the check points started to get a little more scarce (and I was thinking: I’m sure that there were more on the way out….). Then at around the 17 mile point the heavens opened. Literally. Thunder, lightning and rain were the call for the rest of the race. It was soggy. I got sweat in my eyes and screamed like a girl when a large bout of thunder came from nowhere but it was also kinda fun. Running in such miserable conditions really put things into perspective and you saw a lot more comradery amongst the runners. Don’t get me wrong – we ran through LOTS of puddles and my shoes are still wet from parts of the course which were soaked through.

I knew from the 20 mile point that if I kept going at this pace – I’d be in sight for a PB so just kept aiming for that. Mel was an absolutely gem and helped me so much throughout the race – talking away, making jokes and most of all – making the distance slowly ebb away. The miles didn’t seem as tough anymore. Around Mile 23 we stopped to see a runner who had collapsed and offered support but they didn’t need it. As we ran on – we saw an ambulance coming up in front of us but was blocked by a runner on an ipod. I shouted – “AMBULANCE – behind you” SEVERAL times and he had no clue. It wasn’t until I used several expletives that he realised what I was talking about and promptly moved away. I cursed him for the last few miles.

Mile 24 came and then the hill that we met at the start came again. I was surprised how ‘fit’ we were at the end. We managed a nice bit of running to the end and a great little end sprint. We came to a close at 5.13.54 –which turned out to be 5.14.35 for me. I was ecstatic. Would I do this race again? YES. In an instant. After speaking to the race director and talking to other runners  - this was a course that I really enjoyed. Yes, it wasn’t on the road and was something new – but it’s also a lovely route with the friendliest bunch of runners that I’ve ever had the pleasure of running with.

• Lots of interesting comments here.

O.,K.....I enjoyed myself very much and managed just over 4 hrs 20. The marshalls were great especially the jumpy up lady who had way too much energy for my liking......I'm joking BTW.

The marshalls at mile 8 / 17 were also fab and very encouraging. The first water station I got to with no water I have to say, I was very surprised as there were stacks of folk behind me. Luckily I did have two small bottle of my own which i always carry. It did just seem very early onto have run out of water but I didn't panic. Was slightly more perplexed to get to next one and again no water....BUT when I go to Richmond I was a cheeky git and dived into a posh looking eatery and they very kindly filled up my bottles. Pals of mine who also ran and who were just behind me got some water from some very obliging narrow boat owners. I find that people are pretty much very helpful when confronted with a hot sweaty runner asking for some tap water.

I got to a fork just up past the Richmond river bank and wasn't too sure. A very helpful walker pointed me in the right direction - so - more signs next year please for the not so obvious routes.

Lovely marshalls again up at the top of the park and a great charge back down home straight.

Showers and very tasty food.

I will be back next year as not fully fit this year, and it is a course with a great PB potential. Lots of friendly runners as well and encouragement from MOST of the front runners.

Fantastic medal - most important of all. image

Thanks Dave and Mel for a great event - just some tweaking to be done but yes, I'll see you next year for sure. image

• ...and yes....Bill's comments are a tad OTT. The issues raised were concerns for lots of us and I think people are entitled to say as such. Maybe he was one of the front runner's who had his head down and didn't smile or offer encouragement to us 'slower' runners. as he was too busy racing. Oh well....each to their own. image

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed the race, ran well, beat my target to nab a sub 4 with 3:56:01, wasnt a full out race for me so slightly different, but I was also surprised by the lack of water at two stations. I dont really need it as I am camel, but I knew I was in the top half of the race then so felt very sorry for those behind.

Not sure how you can get lost on the way back of an out and back race to be honest! Just go back the way you came.

The half/full split was well marshalled when I got there about 2/3rds of the way into the field (we picked it up from there).

On balance this race had some failures (water and the mile markers were well out) and some great touches (almost instant results at the end and the half way table were brilliant folks). It was perfect for my purposes as a low key off road event, but I think its not one for those used to big city races with the usual slick organisation you get there.

• Possum, you're probably right my comments were a bit OTT, but knowing how much work went into the day it annoyed me a bit seeing some of the comments.

As for myself, I've never had the ability to " race "a marathon and I waved at or said well done to every runner I passed on the return, not always returned I must say.

I still think people need to take more responsibility for themselves at these type of events, yes drink stations were advertised but the world is not a perfect place and things happen.

I think some lessons were learnt not just by the organisers, but the runners also for future events. I've already made alot of those mistakes, its what makes running the challenge it is.   

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

Really enjoyed this one. However, to the guy with the snide comments about slower runners. This is a sport that EVERYONE should be able to enjoy whether it takes them 3 hours or 6!!!!! I managed sub-4 hrs which in most peoples opinion would not be considered that slow and unfortunately they were about to run out of water at the last but one water station when i got there - considering there were something in the region of 130 runners still behind me out of about 180 doing the full marathon that's a lot of people to have to go without water on a fairly warm day. I also managed to take a wrong turn and had to back-track (no other runners around at the time for me to follow and my spatial memory is horrendous) but overall wasn't a major problem. Would definately do this again so please, please, please keep running this one - the route really is fantastic and hopefully i won't get lost next time image. The free tea and rather tasty (and cheap) bacon cobs also went down very well with my hubby and my dog image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Way2slow - were you the one with the Husky?

• I have a confession image, I had been following a nice bottom for 2 or 3 miles, and kept following, thought he was doing the marathon, he wasn't. Learnt a valuable lesson there! Couldn't remember coming down the hill in Richmond park at the start, that was what threw me when I back tracked, suddenly I realised where the 10% undulating was.

Just was wondering what is everyone thinking of doing next in the way of marathons. What other goodies are out there like this one?

• Really enjoyed this race, great medal , great location (helped only living about 1 mile away from the start !) hope to do it again next year, well done to the organisers.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

interesting comments flying about such as we need to train and on fb us novice runners should stick to doing big city marathons but hey ho. I heard a comment from a runner on the day that it looked like the organisers had spent the money on hiring the school rather than buying water, if you work it out 200 runners take a 500ml bottle of water at 5 stations is only 1000 bottles, something like 150 quid. When Edinburgh ran out of water in 2009 they had police on motorbikes and cyclists riding the route with water and drinks handing them out to anyone who needed it, it was considered that important. Regarding the pointers, some of us aren't familiar with the area and expected pointers to show us the way, these were practically non existant on the way back and when we left the tow path along the thames it did get confusing as to which way to go at at times, when the heavy rain came it turned most of the path in the park to a stream, weather couldn't be helped but markers could have been put up, it wasn't a straight path there and back, it crossed a few roads and there was forks in the paths with no markers. Any way time to move on, I'll not be back but I'm sure a lot of you will.

• Thanks for all your efforts, Mel and Dave and all the volunteers.  I had a great day on Saturday.  And the missus enjoyed her marshalling too!

I didn't get lost, but the Thames path is where I usually train so it was very familiar to me and I enjoyed that testing hill at mile 25.  The sun came out and I was fortunate enough to avoid the early afternoon showers.

I especially enjoyed the generous support and warm comments of runners that I passed following the turnaround.  Some vets even helped me out with telling me my placing.  What a great group of people were at that event.  Even those people from over at Fetch Everyone were lovely!  I think every one in their vest shouted encouragement and/or smiled at me.  The pre-race introduction about the chap who suffered the accident in February, the cakes and birthday mentions, and the story about the 100 marathons club chap with 700+ marathons all added a nice human touch I'd not experienced at any other of my marathons.  The organiser definitely care!  I'd assumed that the proceeds went to Hermes Running coffers, but if they go directly to charity, that is generous.

The showers and spaghetti at the finish were very welcome and the medal is a great one.  In the end, I was a bit embarrassed to take away the 3rd place prize as it is not something I am at all accustomed to.

It is such a shame that there was not enough water for some people, including ADG (I'm sure that there'll be plenty in Berlin, mate).  I'm not sure what happened but on the way back they seemed to have run out of jelly beans at two stations when I went through... 

• Hi All...

I ran the 1/2 marathon on Saturday and whilst I was not aware of the problems with lack of water for the marathoners, there were clearly some 'glitches' that had already taken place.  Many people could not hear the race briefing... (although I don't think anything essential was said).  Also many of the mile markers were in the wrong place... difficult when you've taken the decision to run without a garmin. 

I finished in 1:47, which I was very pleased with - as I had literally not trained at all for this event... not run since beginning of July!

The food was delicious - although I was too exhausted to enjoy it properly!  Overall - thoroughly enjoyed the event and would love to come back next year - perhaps with some training too!!

Debbie McCall - it was me who was staggering back to my car when you crashed to the ground!  You looked in a lot of pain - but having walked with you to the finish, I hope that it was just the shock of falling.  I think that you got just under 2:30 - so well done and I hope that you're fully recovered?? 

• Was my first marathon and I loved it, great friendly feel to the whole day, the water situation was a little disappointing but hey ho.

Hats of to the lady with the husky image that must have been tough! I even saw a couple with a push chair! 26 miles! poor little baby!!

Will definitely do this again but next time can you order less rain please image

• Thanks to you all, The comments are fair, Glad most of you enjoyed it. We are just pretty upset that not everything went to plan. All I can say is we will do it again next year and work even harder to ensure all is 100%.

ADG - just for reference I work at the school and they let me use it for the event with the understanding that half the profits are donated to their chossen charity and the other half to our choosen charity.  So even Edinburgh managed to run out off water unfortunatelyhappens at the best of races. Also unfortunaelt we did not have the assistance of the police to get water to you.

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

wasn't me with the husky unfortunately - loved the fact that she was given a medal at the end tho image

Melcelt - would just like to say thanks for all your efforts i know you were short of helpers (as evidenced by the email sent asking for volunteers) - if we hadn't brought our dog with us i'd have got my hubby to help out. I'm sure next year will run even more smoothly and am already looking forward to coming down and giving it another bash!

• Bill / Shark,

Thanks for that. It doesn't make me feel good to say anything negative and am glad you admit to being a wee bit OTT.

I am very sad and like to say 'Well done' to all the front runners and I'm sure we greeted each other as we passed....you slightly quicker than me !

I will reiterate just how much I enjoyed this event but just a quick comment on an earlier post about out and backs being easy to follow. Well yes they are....but when you come at a fork the other way after running for about 3 and a half houurs, it did take a stop and time to ponder which way to go.....I know I was not the only one to do that...but all was good in the end and yes, I will be back next year.

Oh and just to say, two friends of mine also ran. It was their 3rd marathon having both done London and Brighton previously. They were just so amazed at the more chilled out atmosphere of a smaller field of runners rather than the razzamatazz of the other big events. They also loved the extra touches and also how lots of runners knew each other. It was my 33rd marathon and I do now know if only by sight, quite a few of the loonies who regularly turn out to these much better low key events. You don't get that kind of stuff at the big city events and they were very impressed. image

• Firstly let me say what a lovely marathon this was. I don't usually post on runners world.....shhhh I'm a proud Fetchie image but I felt after my having my attention bought to this thread I had to defend myself and my partner- this is especially for you JJrun

I was one half of the couple who were pushing that 'poor baby' you may be interested to know that the 'poor' baby has been buggy running since he was six months old and is used to buggy running, we did not just decide to throw him in a buggy and do a marathon. We had one 15 minute lunch break where he had a play and a spot of lunch, on top of that apart from his usual hour + naps (x2) we also stopped and walked him several times. I actually was more worried about my other children who were probably stuck at home in front of the tv with the babysitter than child #4 who was having a lovely time in the fresh air! At any stage had he become destressed ( which he was not!!!) then the run would have been abandoned immediately!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TBH Kate - i'm more impressed that you managed to run a marathon AND push a buggy. That's hardcore! I think most people that ive spoken to have the same reaction. None of us saw an unhappy baby

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I thought that someone should be nice to the Fetchie image I'm tempted to copy the dog for next year's though... i think it could help bring up that final hill!

• Hi all

Emmy Bug It was very good of you to wait at the end and see me over the line.  A human kindness that means a lot to a complete stranger especially in that weather.  To all the runners on the return leg from Putney Bridge who encouraged me to keep going my heartfelt thanks.  It may be a just a word a smile or a wave but it gives a warm glow and an inner strength to the plodder eg  I can never be as fast as them because of my accident (9 ops) but they are acknowledging that I have trained for this beast and am giving it my all.

My grateful thanks to David Moss for accompanying me back on his bike.  At any time he could have pulled me out of the race as I had gone over the six hours but he didn't he let me finish in that dreadful weather encouraging me to keep moving.  I didn't experience running out of water as I don t plod fast enough.  What I did experience in my first marathon from what I consider to be proper runners and athletes is acceptance from the majority. I completed a marathon to the best of my ability by plodding,  I was encourage by marshalls and other runners to keep going when my feet and legs wanted to give up.  if there are any other beginners or plodders reading this I would highly recommend giving this marathon a go as your first as its a small field with beautiful scenery.  The mistakes that affected others can be remedied by the organisers next year.  Kate Coombes, partner and baby you were one of the runners that I can identify as encouraging me as you passed me on the way back from putney  Twinkle x

• I saw the couple with the push chair and did not realise they were doing the full marathon. Fantastic stuff and hats / bonnets off to all 3 of you. image

• I usually run the bigger city marathons but am now a convert to these smaller ones which are much more friendly.  Loved the pre-race talk which brought a personal human touch to the event. I was totally oblivious to the lack of water even being one of the slower runners,  I tend to eat during a run and there was loads to tuck into. I loved this race from arriving at the impressive looking school to the generous hot meal at the end. Great value for money!! Thank you.