Bacchus Half-Marathon

2»

Comments

• I've sewn myself a sailor girl outfit- navy and white running skirt with stars, a white top with navy kerchief and a little white hat. Say hello if you see me, no one else from my running crew is attending so I'm on my lonesome!
  • aww will say hello, perhaps we can arrange a rendevouz nearer the day ( i know its only a few days away lol ) perhaps meet near the registration desk where we pick up numbers, i know a few people running but they are running the marathon or they are going to run the Half marathon far quicker than me, i'm going to be walking and running it round as want to save my legs for a long run next week

• If anyone sees me - hurry the feck up.

The Sweep

Mwhahahaha
  • Good luck to everyone today! I'm on my train down there now. image
  • Sun is shining scenery is beautiful. - it is going to be an awesome day out. Good luck all.
  • what a great day - Steve, I think we saw you a few times. Were you wearing the top half of the costume round your waist? We also saw a mini-spidey on the side as we ran down the last mile, but when we called out "hello spidey" he looked a bit embarrassed  image

• What a fabulous day! It was too hot, ridiculously hilly, and I wasn't even meant to be "racing" (just relaxing and enjoying!), but I had such an amazing day that I'm already planning next year!

I was really wary of the No Headphones clause, but it really meant I ended up talking to other runners more, even finishing the last 2 miles with a new friend and giving the spectators a thrilling neck-and-neck sprint finish! I was shocked to see that I appear to have been the 5th female finisher, just barely squeaking in under 2hrs - 1:59:40. Hardly a PB, but considering that I'm used to running on flat urban pavements, I'm well chuffed with that!

I'm off to write my RW review while it's still fresh in my mind!

• Race Report - from the front and the back

The Front - What a day. First lap set off ahead of runners by about 15 minutes (10:45) to check all marshalls in position, signs in place and no last minute issues. This is a relatively tough course to bike with numerous gates to be opened. Staying in front of the front runners when you have to check each marshal is in the right spot and knows where the runners are coming from and going to is no easy task. Got back to the start with a puncture picked up on the Denbies descent. Quick tyre change, something to eat and then help marshall the marathon turnaround.

Great fun to cheer at runners and see the faces as they turned round knowing they had it all to do again. Then the half marathoners started to come home, costumes were awesome. With time ticking towards the cut-off at 3:15 we attempted to send the marathon winner back out for a third lap which he graciously declined.

If you had a sprint finish it was me advising it was 100yards to go and you could take the runner in front! Yes I know it was 150 yards - I am cruel.

The Back Then the cut-off came and went. Allowed 3-runners from Blackpool through as they looked in better shape than earlier runners and had missed by a couple of minutes. One decided on the Denbies loop to go for an early bath and the two took off and never troubled the sweep again.

Collected signs, released marshalls and picked up rubbish. Picked up the next last runner at mile 15 and trailed behind dismantling the course and releasing marshals who had been on post since 10am.

Eventually we (the last runner and I) got back to the finish at 18:10 (ish). all signs removed, all marshals sent home. We missed the Hog Roast, but what a great day out and I am truly knackered today. I honestly think running it would be easier.

Credit to the 100 Marathon Club runner who had run a marathon on the Saturday and this was her recovery run!

The marshals were awesome and still in good spirits after many hours on post. Any complaints regarding the marshals please include details of the last race you marshalled and how it went. If you haven't marshalled then a) don't complain b) do it. It is a rewarding experience.

• A kind request

If you want to help the lonely volunteer at the back please drop litter on course not throw into the bushes at the side.

If you could carry it to the next sign I would really appreciate it. When you have done 30 miles on the bike and have to slam the anchors on, grab rubbish get on again and pedal 30yards to repeat the process it is possible to get sick of this job. I have to stop collect each sign and I am very happy to pick the rubbish up there.

Yes the marshals tidy the first few hundred yards from the water station and it is fine to drop rubbish close to the water station but some were half mile plus from the nearest water station. We were asked by concerned members of the public if we were collecting rubbish as he was concerned for the hedgehogs – we assured him we were.

Rubbish on urban courses is easy to spot and most courses benefit from regular litter picking which pick up the bits the organisers miss. Trail courses are beautiful but the rubbish is harder to spot the further it is thrown off-course. I hope I did not miss any rubbish but it is probable that I did. We get to use these lovely trails and I would like them to remain litter free. All runners can help by dropping litter considerately.

The womble.

• m-eface - good point re the rubbish, I have never even considered 'where' I drop it as it is just so un-natural to drop it anywhere at all so I tend to just stick empty gel sachets in my bra but that does tend to be a bit sticky by the end! 

Squirrellypoo you did fab - you looked very fresh when you passed us (the boiling yellow minions) and it was superb having the headphone ban as people were much more social.

Steve - we all got well out of your way I hope, well we did try but as we weren;t too slim in those suits we may have failedimage

What a fantastic day though, and a great and well deserved Personal Worst for me!

• Yep Susannah, that was me. The shattered one at the back. The mini Spiderman was my son Chris. He ran the last half mile with me. My sis and brother in law turned up unexpectedly too, so I had a great time. 3.42 is now my PB as it was my first one so on to Silverstone in March to try and beat it
  • finally getting on here ( just been watching the tennis hence why i'm still up ) What a fab race
    I took loads of pics by the way ( i was the playboy bunny so if i took ur picture please let me know i can try and post it up here or email me and i'll send u a link to the album i've created )

I saw a sailor girl when i saw the those doing the marathon off but tried to shout but didnt hear me so didnt shout any louder incase it wasnt you

obviously i met up with Steve and we picked up another runner about mile 4 who I honestly dont think may have made it round but you know we all stuck together and I know u wanted to do it in a faster time Steve but we couldnt leave our friend in that soaring heat and for me there was much satisfaction in running/jogging/walking and stopping on that course together and what a finish we had, we all held hands as we crossed over the finish line, cant get any better can it

medals were fab really heavy chunky things, still have mine round my neck, guess I better take it off after wearing it all of today!!! 

Its a PW for me but you know I really dont care, the atmosphere was brilliant, I think that getting round sensibily in that heat was the way to do it, my legs dont ache at all today thank goodness as i've got to do a 15mile run this week as part of my marathon training, and i thoroughly enjoyed it

thought the wine was well stocked, the food on the stations, crisps, prezels, bananas, oranges, raisins, jelly babies ( have i forgotten anything ) was great, nothing was too much trouble for the marshalls they were brilliant, I really cant fault this at all, the little kid on the last station squeezing orange juice into our red wine to make it a sangria was just fab say thank you to him please

race director as batman greeting us as we went over the line was a great touch so was the cake, pineapple, and melon and hot drinks on the finish line, the hog roast and sports massages were brilliant

if there was any fault The weather hahahahaha sooooooooooooo bloody hot and today was perfect running conditions lol

dont know why anyone could be abusive to marshalls is beyond me, they all did a stonking job and thanks to mr bike man collecting rubbish, i usually put my empty gel packets in my water bottle but this time there were so many stations i could actually deposit them in a bin I shall remember tho ur tips in future ( for other running events ) to put rubbish ( usually its my gel packets ) near to signs never thought that so thanks for that, usually ive ended up carrying and had sticky hands 

brilliant brilliant day, such a pity its so far away from me otherwise i'd be back again Will have to see what happens next year 

• Had a bloody good time running with you and Siobhan, Jo. Our photos have turned up on the official photographers site. Think it was Sussex sports.com or Sussex sports photography .com. they have some ok ones of the three of us at mile 8 and a beauty of Chris at mile 13. Wish I could bottle the feeling I had crossing the line though! Silverstone here we come
  • First of all, I can't believe there were people throwing litter along the path - what the h*ll is wrong with some people?? There were plenty of bins, and if you missed one, it's not so difficult to tuck it into your waistband or a pocket or just freaking hold it until the next table, they weren't that far apart, arrgh. Then again, maybe other people's parents didn't raise them that littering is something you never ever do - I'd just as soon hit an old lady in the face as throw my rubbish on the ground.

Hannah, I saw another lady with an admiral's cap, maybe that was her? I did the half, not the full marathon.

HannahsmomUK wrote (see)

the little kid on the last station squeezing orange juice into our red wine to make it a sangria was just fab say thank you to him please

hahah this is amazing! Sums up the whole of Bacchus really. image
  • HannahsmomUK wrote (see)

the little kid on the last station squeezing orange juice into our red wine to make it a sangria was just fab say thank you to him please

hahah this is amazing! Sums up the whole of Bacchus really. image

Agreed, we'll feedback to the family there how much you appreciated image  Thank you for all your lovely comments and really pleased to hear you all had a great time.  the costumes are amazing.  In case you missed it, the event photos are up here.  We'll get a race directors report up soon image

And M.eface is sweep extraordinaire and secured a job for life image

• I cant tell u how much I enjoyed this event, I know that people are desperate for chip timings ( think cos their Garmins died lol ) I just forgot to stop mine but i honestly couldnt care less about my time as for me this was just a fun enjoyable HM I probably wouldnt have said that if i'd have done the marathon mind lol as i couldnt imagine doing it twice, too hot really but i cannot speak highly enough of this race

was impressed by the whole organisation of it from start to finish, everyone was amazing, marshalls, officials, food people, sports massage, the availability of stuff on the stations was superb

wish u were abit nearer to me lol

well done to everyone who took part and yes the family on the last wine station ( well everyone was really fab on the each station ) but really made it when the little lad was sqeezing the orange juice into the red wine and saying lets have sangria, it was just brilliant, gave me that lift for the final hill down just dont know where the last 2mile went, I have done some photos but not sure how to really post them here  

May try and create some sort of album or if i can email them someone maybe they can put them in an album??? 

• Race directors report is now up here image

• I see there were a couple of people disqualified on the half for wearing earphones!!! not sure if chip times are now up, cant tell from the results as they look the same as the gun times, but dont care, i enjoyed it anway couldnt care less what my time was

• Hello. Chip timings were destroyed when the system melted so only gun times were available. Results are now up and we have been assured they are correct.
  • they system melted eek!! was that due to the heat?  i know it was hot lol I'm not that fussed tbh, as at the end of the day it was about the fun element in this event, my running club are interested in taking part next year so may have to organise an outing for us lol

• There were a lot of chip problems last weekend and I guess we can't throw wine at the chips when they're too hot ;0).
  • just seen this reply lol, well i enjoyed it whatever the chip time was heck i cant even remember now what it was lol, loved my medal, best medal i've had lol and had a fab time, my club is defintely interested in doing this next year so think i'll be organising a group outing