Lakeland 50/100

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Conditions depending I think the winner will be in about 22 hours. Plenty of guys that are entered are capable of running sub 24, even on that course. Terry showed last year how fast it can be done.

Story telling... I think seeing me try and walk after the race will be enough to make anyone laugh!

• Hi.. just over a week to go so i'd best start thinking about my drop bag. Ive never done an event like this before. Can anyone advise me what to put in the drop bag? Also does anyone know if i can put items in it when collecting halfway round?

• What to put in? Some people do top ups on gels/food, new batteries for torch, new trainers, new kit... it's all really up to you. Yes you can stow stuff as well.

• A drop bag is something you can use to safeguard against everything going a over t.  It might contain:

Spare clothes (in case they get wet, or you pick the wrong ones)

Spare shoes (in case you pick the wrong ones)

Spare food (you don't have to carry it, so it can be the kind of treat that would otherwise be beyond your dreams)

Massage stick (if you have one)

• Thanks for the replies but i found out that i wont be needing one as im doing the Lakeland50 which doesnt have a halfway drop bag/pick up point

• Haven't been on here a while, good luck al thoses doing the either race. image

• (Adding this here as well as the SNOD thread)

Just in case no-one is reading the latest blog ("Essential things you need to know"), there is at least one thing to note that I wouldn't have necessarily considered before going to the event:

Photo ID is required for registration

http://lakeland100.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/essential-things-you-need-to-know-before-the-day/

• Has there been a problem with people registering under a different name in the past?

• hi all

done the 50 the last 2 years but the olympics has stopped me this year..............

hope you all have a brilliant race..........it is really well organised and tough...........the weather was hot last year and for the first race ever i found i couldn't eat or drink much till 3 am in the morning ..a shock as i usually treat these ultras as one long picnic.......

so take care in the weather and remember salt tablets or electrlyte drinks......

hope you all are successful

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ben - 15 Joss Naylor's turned up last yearimage haha

Off for my last run before we set off on Friday... kind of like a last meal I guess.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Did I see you get equal second at the weekend!?  Nice work....finishing dip or arm-in-arm (bless)? image

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • That wasn't WiB as far as I can see from the limited results online
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭

Ah, you're right, I got Paul's mixed up.image

I see he pulled out at Braithwaite despite going well (12th) for 7-8hrs.  Hope the fella is ok.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Loula noticed she had pulled out and we have been awaiting news.

• He was feeling really ill and had to pull out.

• Oh  That is a shame after all that training.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

he will be ok im sure and at NDW in a few days timeimage 

• Having finished the Lakeland 100, I can categorically tell you that it deserves its reputation for being a brutal event!

• Fellrunner

That race is pure evil.  Lakeland runners are a separate species. 

I showed my Lakeland 100 map book, to my auntie who went to school in Coniston.  She told me that when she was 14, everybody in her school had to take part in a race up and down Coniston Old Man!  Essentially the first stage of the Lakeland 100. 

I ran The Wall (70 miles) in 14.55, but it took me 38.50 to run the Lakeland 100!  That shale just destroys your feet.  The local runners had to give me on the job training in terms of running over it!

It was an awesome event, with some fantastic people behind it.  When I went into the school at the finish, and everybody clapped , I had to choke back tears!

• FWIW Ben, I think I was only faster this year by virtue of being more able to cope with the terrain, second time around; it was only on the quarry descent that I bottled it. Compared with last year, I practically skipped along Gatescarth and Garburnimage 

• I honestly think that having done three other 100 milers, is less useful in this event than being accustomed to the terain!

• Ben, just wanted to say well done on finishing - very impressive image

It's on my list for next year - but i'm doing the 50 first!

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

ben well done indeed...i dont think its event to enter lightly or without a massive amount of prep. like you say i think its a case of being used to the terrain there and the different surface. you got there , started and completed come hell or high water and i for one am in awe of yourself and everyone who did the 50 OR 100!!.

• It's been great reading the other reports and comments from the past weekend. I've written something up myself and it is posted over on TriTalk.

• Well now, having nowhere to train in Essex for what the Lakeland throws at you made this the real challenge. Some of the descents were as evil as the ascents, only for different reasons. Missed my main target of getting to Ambleside by 9pm and arrived at 10:30pm, albeit to a rather large and inebriatred crowd that I was very tempted to join. However that would have meant that my team partner would have had to carry on alone...image

I was shivering uncontrollably at the Tilberthwaite cp in the rain, made worse by the strengthening wind, and couldn't keep my cup of tea steady and missed my mouth on several occasions! image

Eventually we made it down that awful drop into Coniston in daylight and finished just before 6am.

Loved every minute of it, intend to return, just not next year as I have other plans.

Well done to everyone who completed both the 50 and 100, commiserations if you didn't and remember one thing - you are all legends! image

• Well done SP - I knew you'd enjoy it image
    I managed a 2 hour PB for the 50 course, which was nice as I 'lost' an hour or so helping out a mate who was unwell heading over the top to Haweswater - very selfish of him image

• I had a stretch session today, which was excruciating.  I am thinking that I might be able to do a race in late August early September, but we will see. 

The great thing about having arguably been in the two toughest single stage ultra's of the U.K this year, is that the year can only get easier from here!

• Awesome race, absolutely loved it. finished sub 28hrs. Didnt enjoy the drive to gatwick and flight to italy on sunday afternoon though... Thank you to ALL involved. Brilliantly organised.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the results go up?  Surprising they're not there already. Or perhaps they're on another website.

Next up NDW 100 where I'm looking for about 26-27 hours.  No smashed rocks as far as I know.