Lakeland 50/100

Comments

• The results have been accessible since the event. You need to follow the below link, which can be found on the home page. 

Follow competitors live during the Montane Lakeland 50&100 mile events.

Using SI live monitoring, you are able to follow competitors live throughout their journey on the Montane Lakeland 50 and 100 mile events. To go to the live event page CLICK HERE

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks, sk.  Couldn't see the link for that from the event website.

I was about half way down the field after all, which was surprising.  But then I suppose a lot of the competitors were actually walkers (as opposed to runners who became walkers?!)

• Anyone know the date for 2013? Is it always the last weekend in July? I want to make Lakeland 50 my main target for next year and want the date as soon as possible to make sure I don't get committed to anything else that will clash...

• DB - Always last weekend in July. Entries open 1st Sept. Good luck.  

• Stephen: Thanks for that information. Appropriate training isn't going to be easy, since I'm stuck living in SE London/Kent, but it was reading about the Lakeland 50 that got me thinking about running ultras.

• Debra, I live in Biggin Hill SE london/Kent and I can tell you there are plenty of places to train. Plus what better excuse for a holiday to the lakes than to recce the course image

• Andrew. Okay, I live just down the road from you (Beckenham) and run with Striders of Croydon. So, hills I have access to, if not nearly so scenic, but not I think of the same technical level of difficulty as in the Lake District. Suggestions of where to train for (a) the ascents/descents; (b) the sharp conditions underfoot gratefully accepted. I just ran NDW50 and I'm heading for Beachy Head Marathon in October.

As for reccing the course - absolutely! But I manage a local parkrun, so can't go off for too many weekends.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Debra - Get plenty of hiking practice in. You wont be running too many of the climbs I can promise that. Also practice your descending to help train/condition for that. Possibly find a hill (steep as possible) fast hike up it and run down. With regards to the underfoot conditions as well, that may be hard to replicate. I would suggest coastal path is as close as you will get in the South to try to mirror the terrain. Lakeland course is very rocky and tough on your feet. The chalk paths of the downs would be good too.

Recce runs of the course will be invaluable.

• Help! First Recce on Saturday. website offers GPX or MMO tracks or routes...

I have a Garmin 310xt, I've never used the mapping function before. Whick do I want: GPX or MMO, and "tracks" or "routes"? And where do I find how to download this from laptop to Garmin, or has someone got some really easy to use instructions? And how do I start it off on the day - i.e. how do I tell it I'm now wanting to follow this route (or track, whichever it is)?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I think it is GPX and routes. I used Garmin connect to export routes to a Garmin. Can sign up to it easy enough.

The road book is really good, I just ran with that each time I went up there. Never even used the map.

• Hi WiB. I've printed off the roadbook (twice - so I have a spare copy if the one I'm using get blown away or something) and it's good to know they're good, AND I've printed off the map in sections - with and without the route marked, but I've not done much night running and no night navigating, so I was thinking having the GPSto back me up would be a good thing. I'm signed up to Garmin Connect,but I can't see how/where on there I'd get the file from my computer onto my Garmin...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ah I forgot they are running it in the evening this time... Fair point on the GPS then.

Sorry I am not particualry good at it myself, I just use mine to measure miles really and can only put stuff on it from Garmin Connect! image

There is a Facebook page if you have Facebook where people can probably help you out or may have the route already in Connect that they can send you a link for.

• Nope. I'm not on Facebook and have no wish to be.

• I'm doing the Grizedale Trail Marathon and was asking the organisers about booking  the Lakeland 100 for 2014, apparently it books up instantly almost a year in advance.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Everyone ready?... are your sure? Don't want to sneak another 30 in this weekend just to make certain? Go onimage

• I plan to sit on my backside that weekend, and watch the rest of you suffer!

• Last longish one today, hoping this heat will subside just for 48 hours on the big day!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Suffering is optional Ben.

• No, I understand that it is compulsorily in this event!

• I've decided on "better under trained than over-strained" so I didn't run the Croydon Ultra on 7th - just ran the first 15 miles of it after manning an aid station for several hours. Ankle is improving but still not 100%, although it coped quite well with the big recce weekend. Admit I'm hoping for slightly cooler weather in the Lakes on 27th-28th than we've had in London recently...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Let's hope its really hot! image Plenty of streams on route, not to forget it finishes right near a river and a lake!

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

WiB shouldn't you change your name to HiB? (I'm hoping the heat continues too.) image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Could do!

In for the 50 or 100 BR? Had a good year so far?

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

British Rail, HiB? image I'm in for the 100. Year's been great so far, more running than talking so back in PB territory. image

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭

Debra, you'll probably be better off slightly undertrained for something this big. As long as you have the base fitness you'll be fine for a comfortable get-round.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

All this talk of changing letters had me confused! image

Good news about the year so far, best of luck with the 100!

• An ultra runner in the internet age is either inside the goldfish bowl looking out, or outside the goldfish bowl looking in. 

For this event, I am outside the goldfish bowl looking in this year. 

I will see your triumphs and tragedies unfold, from a position of complete physical comfort, but I will still fundamentaly envy you all!

• I haven't been on these forums for ages having lost a bit of interest in running after the mud fest that was the Thames path 100.  Now looking forward to the lakeland 50 after a weekend of running in the lakes with the mrs a couple of weeks ago.  Thoroughly under trained but going to go off far too fast and then suffer.  Could be interesting.

• BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭
    Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

An ultra runner in the internet age is either inside the goldfish bowl looking out, or outside the goldfish bowl looking in. 

For this event, I am outside the goldfish bowl looking in this year. 

I will see your triumphs and tragedies unfold, from a position of complete physical comfort, but I will still fundamentaly envy you all!

I hope you enjoy the show, Ben. You'll get to go to bed twice while we're still out there.