inspiration

Hey fellow runners.  I started running last May in a bid to stop smoking (which I'm in the process of trying again) and I've done 8 races including a half marathon so far.  My problem is, I'm very slow and I don't see any improvement time wise over the year and I really just can't get motivated to really push myself.  Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!  I should mention, I'm still about 20 llbs overweight and I smoke about 7 cigarettes a day (which I'm hoping will be zero come next month).

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Suz04

Might be sticking my neck out a bit and I mean no offence. Perhaps look into losing that last 20lbs? Also kick the habit, you will find after a while you will feel fitter for it. That will make you quicker for sure. As for staying motivated think of the weight you have lost already and no doubt feel better for it. Just think this time next year being a good weight and having stopped smoking?? Wouldn't that be great!!

• Kick the fags. If you really want to stop then you will stop. I smoked for 20 years, sometimes quite heavily, and one day I just stopped. Best thing I ever did and now I find it hard to believe that I ever touched the damn things. You'll feel better not only physically but also mentally and I think that will be your motivation for improving.

• madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭

After many failed attempts at stopping smoking someone recommended the Allen Carr book - easy way to stop smoking. I'm sure it has its critics but it worked for me. A few days of physical withdrawal but hardly a problem after that. Easily one of the best things i have ever done.

Anyway - you smoke, you are over-weight and you can run a half-marathon - that's your problem right there - you dont NEED to quit or lose weight to do what you do - give yourself a challenge where you MUST quit and lose the lbs.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Aside from the fags and weight that others have mentioned, I didn't see much improvement in my times until after about 18 months of regular running so maybe it's just a matter of time and getting the miles in.

Speed work / Hill reps seems to be most peoples answers to improving times so make sure you vary your running sessions rather than just doing the same routes at the same pace every time. I don't stick to this religiously, but I have found my times improving just by doing the odd speed session now and again and I do plenty of hills living in a valley anyway.

• madmickie wrote (see)

After many failed attempts at stopping smoking someone recommended the Allen Carr book  

What? Chatty Man?   "Ohhhhh no, I couldn't do thaaaaaaaaat."

• Perhaps improvements in times doesn't matter?

We all have a "ceiling" as to best times we can do, and perhaps you're close to yours? At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself why you run.

Is it to get / keep fit? Yes. Tick.

Is it to keep your heart ticking over? Yes. Tick.

Is it because you just enjoy doing it? For me at least, this is number one.

But is it to constantly strive for better times? For me, that's something that would be nice, but not really bothered if it doesn't happen.

• Thank you so much for all your replies.  I know I need to stop smoking, I'm hoping I can stay off them this time. As for the weight, I just love my food too much, that's a big problem for me but I am making better, healthier choices.  I couldn't actually say that I enjoy running as such, everyone always says that I wouldn't do it if I didn't but I only like the after effects of it, maybe this could be a problem, I need to start enjoying it properly, any ideas?

• Have you considered joining a running club? Keeps my motivation up and if you join a larger one, there will be people of all abilities giving you advice and helping you get faster!

• Sandy the Womble wrote (see)

We all have a "ceiling" as to best times we can do, and perhaps you're close to yours? At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself why you run.

I'm going to suggest though, that somebody who has only been running a year, smokes and is 20lb overweight is nowhere near their ceiling.

• Ok, I'm gonna look into finding a running club in my area, that sees a good idea.  My best friend's getting married in August and I've entered 2 half marathons for next month so hopefully everything will come together then.  It helps having advice on here, people like yourselves who have been running a lot longer than I have.  Thank you.