Outlaw Bike Recce

Comments

• No worries, I will report back on Monday with my findings, I might even get to do a bike recce report as well

• Right, I'm on for this, it's a long drive but I found it really valuable knowing the course of IMW last year and it will be nice to check out the lake etc.  Weather showing as not too shabby at the moment, ie, not torrential rain and gales.

JCDigger, if you're sure you don't mind me drafting the whole way I'll join in your group image

• I'm tempted to come up and join you lot, but the weather looks awful!  Are you sure about your forcast IP?

• Iron Pingu - excellent news, you are more than welcom to draft the whole way round

Prince  S - Come on, you know yoiu want to, so what if theres a bit of wind and rain, might be worse on the day

• Afraid the weather is going to be sh*t but like above. Even if you don't get the bike miles in knowing the course will make a big difference on the day.

•  Hmm, canno do linky things anymore image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641170

Anyways .. image  it's practically tropical!

• image Just looked and better than throught it would be high's of 17 and only a little rain in the afternoon. It's going to be fine unless I start singing.

• Heard about the dodgy weather on the radio last night (well, up unti Friday night). The forecast for Sunday seems alright!

Sounds like I'll be part of the 10am group. Will DM a couple of you with my number just in case I run into problems with traffic etc...

Planning on doing the 80 straight through and then happy to stop off and grab some grub before heading home...

• I've been looking at the weather and I'm considering doing a Saturday afternoon recce. (with maybe the Colwick parkrun to start the day off)

• Haaaang on, there was no mention of Cake singing before I signed up for this!! 

• OK, count me in!
    IP, I'll bring some ear plugs!  I'll be in the slower group too I think!  Being rather lardy I'm slow at the best of times!! 

• Start time 10am

Pace roughly 15 - 17 mph, it is flat and the hardest thing we will have to combat is the wind

No one will get dropped

General feeling seems to be a lap of each section however if anyone wants to do the full distance i could be pursuaded

Unless im mistaken the following are definate for Sunday

JCDigger
    Proven Robbie W
    Bhflyer
    Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)
    Moving Along
    Prince Siegfried
    Iron Pingu
    Cake
    Golden Boots

Possibles / TBC

Marshallini
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Donar Kebab

If i have missed anyone off the list or put you in the wrong section please accept my apologises in advance and correct my mistakes

Anyone else who fancies a trek round nottinghamshires finest countryside feel free to add your name

• An old uni mate of mine and 2011 and 2012 Outlawist, will be making his way up from London (by train) on Sunday morning to get involved.  He's a 16/17 mph'er.

10AM Sunday.

JCDigger
    Proven Robbie W
    Bhflyer
    Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)
    Moving Along
    Prince Siegfried
    Iron Pingu
    Cake
    Golden Boots
    Bailey (PRW's mate)

Possibles / TBC

Marshallini
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Donar Kebab

• Due to three hour drive and because I don't fancy two consecutive 6AM starts this weekend, I've booked into B&B just outside Nottingham tomorrow night.  This will be to the benefit of the rest of the group as I'll be far less grouchy for Sunday cycle.

Anyway, the purpose of mentioning this is that whilst investigating hotel availability, it was bought to my attention that there is some canoe gathering this weekend at National Watersports Centre.  Given the significantly limited availability of rooms, I suggest it's a particularly popular one and getting into HPP on Sunday morning and parking (I don't know what facilities are like), might take longer then some have accounted for.  I hope I am wrong.

Rw

• How much is the B&B PRW, I was looking at Travel Lodges last night, must admit, I don't fancy the early morning drive either!

• I found via booking.com "<span>The Vale of Belvoir Inn & Hotel" (<span>NG13 9EU).  It's about nine miles away and cost me £34.50p for a single room, including brekkie.  I don't think I've paid so little for a room since the 90's.

Anyway, it doesn't have a website.  I called the number provided on booking receipt, chap answered and seemed sensible.  I shall be arriving 9/9:30PM, sleeping and then heading over to HPP.

Rw

• Just spoke to HPP, it is going to be very busy Car park wise.

I have been speaking to the Landlord at the Bridge Pub regarding Mondays Festivities and he has agreed we could park and meet there on sunday

I think this would be better as it mighht be a nightmare trying to meet up at HPP

I will be there from 9am

The Bridge
    Radcliffe Road
    Gamston
    Nottingham
    NG2 6NR

I trust this is ok with everyone

• How much in the B&B PRW, I was thinking about driving up on the Sat too.

• Pingu - £34.50p.

JCD - Happy with that.  See you at Bridge Pub Car Park in good time for 10AM kick-off on Sunday.

• Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Haaaang on, there was no mention of Cake singing before I signed up for this!! 

image I'm open to request's?

Proven Robbie W wrote (see)

Due to three hour drive and because I don't fancy two consecutive 6AM starts this weekend, I've booked into B&B just outside Nottingham tomorrow night.  This will be to the benefit of the rest of the group as I'll be far less grouchy for Sunday cycle.

Anyway, the purpose of mentioning this is that whilst investigating hotel availability, it was bought to my attention that there is some canoe gathering this weekend at National Watersports Centre.  Given the significantly limited availability of rooms, I suggest it's a particularly popular one and getting into HPP on Sunday morning and parking (I don't know what facilities are like), might take longer then some have accounted for.  I hope I am wrong.

Rw

From experance a lot of the people will be camping there or having early starts by car so shouldn't be to much on an issue.

Might make it hard to find each other through. Does anyone have any idea's about where best to meet I know the place very well and assuming a lot of you don't. Parking for the car driver's might be an issue? 

• I'm going to do my own thing  this weekend. So I won't be joining the recce!!

By the way, I think the European Hovercraft Cahmpionships are on ar HPP this weekend, so you probably wouldn't want to park there anyway!

• As suggested by JCD and approved by publican, meeting point is now:

The Bridge, Radcliffe Road, Gamston, Nottingham, NG2 6NR.

• Sorry all - looks like a last minute change of weekend plans for me. Might still be able to make it, but better to move myself to the TBC list rather than the definites. Assume I'm not coming - I'll post back here if anything changes!

• Hello people. I'm changing my plans for this weekend after a slight saddle/shorts whingery means I won't be able to cycle that far until said whingery heals.

I'd prefer it to be better for outlaw!

Enjoy the ride and report back...
  • What a lovely day!  And lovely to meet some more lovely pirates image

The course is certainly fast, and weather permitting I think they'll be some very fast times on the day.  Didn't manage a run when I got back, got a take-out instead, nom nom nom ..

• Sounds good Pingu !!

• Here Here Pingu, it was a great day to be out with no wind and good company

Meldy - spoke to landlord at The Bridge - we have a venue for Monday debrief.... we have a large area resevered, opens out on to large patio area, food to be supplied, conservatory, small children area for anyone with kids, Landlord seems a great bloke to.

• So whats the verdict then folks .. good course ?.. as flat as the profile suggests ? ... actually even if its not i'd appreciate you just lying to me and telling me the entire things downhill as my training has been shite of late image

• There's a bump around mile 16. The only other bad comment to make is that this is a course that could easily tempt you to fly around (at the expense, no doubt, of your run time). In short - as nice a 112 mile ride as you'll find around those parts.