London Marathon Good For Age

Hi, Does anybody know if the good for age times are set down to the second, I ran 3:10:12 in Edinburgh yesterday which mean I missed out by 12 seconds, anybody been in this position before and got in? Thanks Matt

Comments

• Its worth the call, but I missed out by 30secs a few years back and they told me no. 

• I think they are reasonably strict on it... Always worth a punt though if the worse that they can do is say 'no'.

• I understand that with Boston you can allowed the (up to 59) seconds but with London you don't.  And there is no allowance for that heat yesterday either.  It's a tough one.

• Er, I should write 'with London you aren't'.  Appalling grammar.

• Actually, I should correct the earlier bit too:  'with Boston you are'. 

What a blithering idiot I am.  I blame the heat.

So for Boston 3.10.59 is permissible but London will require a 3.09.59. 

• One of the few advantages in being over 40 is that my 3.11.29 time from MK gets me a GFA place...

• Ally Watson wrote (see)

Actually, I should correct the earlier bit too:  'with Boston you are'. 

What a blithering idiot I am.  I blame the heat. So for Boston 3.10.59 is permissible but London will require a 3.09.59. 

No more 0:59 for Boston.

• was just wondering if my 3:10:37 from Brighton would be accepted. Urgh, sucks!

• dhale750 wrote (see)

was just wondering if my 3:10:37 from Brighton would be accepted. Urgh, sucks!

What category are you?

• Matthew,

I'd apply if I were you. A few years ago I got a GFA place (when the qualifying time for M40 was 3:15, with a time of 3:15:15. I remember that the qualifying time was stated as 3:15 (implying that 3:15:xx was permissable) whereas the slower times were stated as sub-3:30, sub-345 etc. Having said that, a friend who missed the ladies qualifying time by a similar margin didn't get in, so is it pot luck as to who processes your application? Another example of the shambles which the entry process has become.

Good luck!

• Jimbojet, I'm male under 40's so 3:10 required!

It says you qualify if you've run a marathon in 'the same time, or faster than' the specified times. Then lists 'sub 3:10'. Don't know if that suggests a certain amount of leniancy or not.

• A few years back when iy used to be sub 3 for senior men I sent off a 3.00.07 and it got sent back rules are rules I suppose, but if you dont send it off you wont know! or just run another before july 13th and make sure you smash it! image

• My wife ran a race and was 10 seconds outside the qualifying time, so she didn't get in./ However I would say that there is a chance that the scruitineer that looks at your application might rubber stamp it, so send it in. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...