Comrades 2013

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

It was my second although i do remember saying last year "never again!". But i am so glad i went back this year so have completed a run in both directions. Both days were amazing and will live long in my memory. I think one of the reasons its so special is because its a once a year race. There is no other. You make a mess of a marathon and you can try again in a few weeks time. Not for this. The amount of time you invest in training and sacrifices you make, makes crossing the finishing line all that sweeter.

Believe in yourself. Anyone with the right attitude can finish this race.

And martin, thats the only place your badge should be. Mine from last year is on my vest although the only comments i recieve about it is during marathons. Everyone who does the shorter stuff probably haven't even heard of the race.

• I knew about the race not long after I did my first marathon. I have a friend who lives in SA and she was trying to persuade me to do Comrades - but wanted me to do Two Oceans first!

I will go and read the Comrades 2012 thread then - thanks for the tips martin and marty image

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

oohh Two Oceans. If you haven't done that one stick that one on your "to do" list as wellimage

Why are all the best races so far away???!!!

• I know marty! I have a list of races I want to do - and hardly any are in this neck of the woods. image

• Can anyone tell me when registration will open for 2013 Comrades? 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

I think it opens in September...

Two Oceans is nice but if you had to pick one (either TO or Comrades), I would recommend Comrades...

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Really SD? I must get the photos off the phone...I might have a photo of one runner waiting for the buses early on race day this year who is clearly having a wonderful time and not at all pasting a sickly and unconvincing smile upon the mask of terror that is their true face...image

Looking back I would be minded to suggest TO to start with (just because it is shorter, for one). Then upon returning for a novice Comrades run, at least it's not the first trip to SA so it takes some of the stress off.

BTW re logistics in Durban, there is a shuttle bus goes from the airport to most hotels /hostels. At least, it went both to Durban City Lodge last year and Gibela's backpacker hostel this year. About 8 quid one way, bargain, *and* I managed to ring up and book the return pickup *myself* which was a great triumph as I had many exciting times in SA due to my inability to pronounce things (particularly places) intelligibly.

SD, are the midweek flights to/from Comrades usually as empty as they were this year? (Very handy I thought, I got 2 seats to myself each way and so did get some sort of zed time in). 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Fido - hahahaha! Yes I do tend to find the hours between getting up and the start gun going rather difficult on Comrades day... Mid-week flights are usually not too bad - I would say that I've had at least two seats to myself in the last couple of years...

• How far in advance do you recommend getting to SA for? A week before? A couple of days? 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

The minimum I would recommend is to arrive on Thursday in Durban (leave the UK on Wednesday night on an overnight flight). This allows you to go on the bus tour of the route on Friday morning, chill out on Saturday and run on Sunday. I've been doing the arrive Thursday - leave Tuesday trip for the last few years...

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

They did a Saturday bus tour this year. The issues are mainly

a) you want a bit of leeway in case the flights go all Pete Tong
    b) the flights are all overnight and you need to recover (SA is just an hour ahead so time difference is OK luckily) (you can take an Emirates afternoon flight to Dubai, spend the night in the hotel *in* the airport and then fly down to Durban, but then you're possibly even MORE tired out from the long journey than you would be from losing sleep on the overnight LON->JNB flight)

I reckon I could have flown out on Thu and back on Mon (i.e. arriving Fri/Tues) if I'd wanted to cut it down, but it is nice to have a bit of slack especially if it's your first time out. 

• I flew out Wednesday night and back Monday due to a baby. Note earlier post which I think was advising birth control once you decide to enter ? Lol. Most people would of course stay longer for a holiday - my only truly pressure free meal to enjoy great SA steak and wine (sorry Fido) was on the Sunday night. It was great but I was knackered and couldn't even finish a fantastic bottle of red. That sits almost as badly with me as failing to finish a race. Must train harder ! image
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

I agree Fly weds back Monday. I went a day later this year for obvious reasons and it is a lot to cope with as you lny really get one night's sleep. I didn't do tour either as I wanted a chilled Saturday.

Great couple of final reports on 2012 thread. Really enjoyed reading them.

KP- I couldn't finish my tin of beer on the Sunday evening with dinner!

Although I won't be racing next year I'll certainly join in on the thread and follow everyones journey. Think 2016 for me as next one, although I did check Kayak earlierimage

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Catching up on podcasts - nice mention on rate your run in Marathon talk SD!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Yes, I was really chuffed to get a mention!

Kevin, Ode - agree that flying back on Monday works fine.  It still allows you to spend a nice morning/lunchtime on the beach drinking with fellow Comrades... Staying until Tuesday, however, allows you to continue into the afternoon followed by a night out...

• Not for 2013 - thinking about Lakeland 50 for 2013 if NDW50 goes okay this August, but I'm thinking if those two go okay then I should be able to train for & run Comrades maybe 2014 or 2015?

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Heh, from what I hear Lakeland 50 is way harder than Comrades! Remember Comrades is a road race!

• I would have to go for two weeks

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

i want to go too-shall we have a holiday spen?image

• Hi all,

I am currently considering 2013/14 entry and have been somewhat baffled by the qualifying races...

What are the rules? I am planning run the Thames Trott 50 next Feb but this is off road and VLM is a bit close for comfort for next year. Does it have to be a roadrace?

I thought I ask those who know best!

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Nina, qualifying is basically any marathon under 5 hours. I don't think it matters if it is not on the official Comrades list since you simply email Comrades with your time and they sort your seeding out for you. I think they are more lenient with the overseas runners with the qualifying races. Many of us simply run a marathon as a training run during either february or march and then use that time. So VLM would be fine to use as a time. Not sure about the rules for offroad races but i am sure someone else on here will be able to give you an answer on that one.

• SD is the expert but agree, unless you run a sub 3.20 mara and want pen B they just believe you.

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

HI All. I am planning to run in 2013 so have decided to join this thread. This will be my first Comrades attempt. I lived in Durban for over 25 years and grew up with the race so I know whats coming. Can't wait to get the training under my belt.

I am running BErlin in September as my qualifying race and wnat to get under 4 hours to get a good seeding. PB is currnetly 3:45.

Looking forward to some good chat on here!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Nina - as Marty and Martin have said, any marathon under 5 hours is usually ok for qualifying.  If you're running a 50 mile race (more or less 80km?), the qualifying time would be 10:40.

With regard to how long to stay after the race, I think I travelled around SA for 2 weeks after my first Comrades and a week after the second. But as Mrs SD has not come out for Comrades since then, I make a reasonably swift return on the Tuesday!image

• Slow Duck and Marty74 - thank you very much for the advice - my mild panic at finding a IAAF race has vanished! I am entered for Portsmouth Coastal in December and failing this the Thames Trott (which I finished in 10h 17 last year so 10 40h should be doable).

Hope to see you guys next year!

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Nina, I have done the Portsmouth Coastal marathon for the past 2 years and used it as my Comrades qualifier ... No issues at all. Will do the same this year for 2013 Comrades (my 5th).
  • Hi everyone,

Having lurked on the 2012 thread, and (nearly) wiped away a tear or two reading some of the race reports, I am inching towards committing to the 2013 race (finances and logistics of taking a young family along permitting).

Thought a post would go someway towards making the committment as I kind of think, if not now, when ?

Have had a bit of an achilles problem (which is slow to go away) so buiding up towards a (3rd) marathon (Abingdon) in October and thinking of Compton Downland 40 next year as a longer preparation ru. Daunted a bit by the number of marathons / ultras some posters seem to enter each year.

Does anyone know if there is any expectation of the numbers of entrants due in 2013 and when you can leave entering until (I seem to remember they were still taking entries right up until the Nov closing date this year ?)

Anyway, happy running everyone and looking foward to lots of training tips on the thread !

Steve

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

I don't think there's any reason it will fill up faster this year, but they allow you to transfer entries anyway so there is always the chance to flog an entry now.

Blimey Abo is going to be Comrades Old Home Week!

Compton is almost more of a challenge than Comrades and was certainly a sobering experience for all of us! Don't regret not doing it this year but then I do not fare well in trail races.

• Fido You thinking of going back again??????

SD Site not showing at the moment but when do qualifiers start to count. have a 30 miler in 2 weeks and would be good to get D pen sorted (keep it QT Fido) Then can give it everything in Mablethorpe for a 3.40 C pen?

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Martin the qualifiers usually count from the day after the previous year's Comrades so you should be fine.