Comrades 2013

Comments

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

57.5 - I followed Ian Sharman's tip of sitting in a sauna - I did half an hour most days for the week before I went out. When it came to it I found this year's Comrades day much cooler than last year anyway. But I know the sauna thing worked, because the weekend before it was warm in the UK and I went out for a run with friends - they were all pink and sweaty and "ooh it is teh hot we are cutting this short" and I was fine.

The local pool/fitness centre has a sauna which is included with a swim ticket.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Douglas - the (other) lady in a tutu, Melanie, she said she'd started her Comrades training in April (!) having been benched. So hope for us all perhaps there... (I should add that the time limit at A*****on is there mainly to discourage people who don't take it seriously, and start walking, and by that I don't mean taking scheduled walk breaks, at Mile 2...).

• I'm beginning to get a complex, I didn't look "that" bad on Monday - and I mean you lot from this years thread image.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Someone's posting under your name then!

Douglas wrote (see)

Not running as yet, went for a 5km walk on Saturday and the knee is still playing up, so not looking too good for long term running.

• Carmen - Yes I'm still lurking, so glad to see you're going to up the effort this year.

SD - Congrats on the 100 Club and the Green, I was also pleased to see that Dave finally got his Silver this year, at what I think was his 7th attempt.

Good race reports from all of the 2012 runners and performances to match. 

I'll hopefully be back next year, although I'm going to decide at the end of the year. I missed this year because of the arrival of our 2nd baby, but in truth I wouldn't have made it to the start line anyway, as I've been plagued by health problems. If I can get healthy by the end of the year then I'll be back.

• Fido, I may be injured, but I thought I always "looked" great image.

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - you need to decide earlier than that as it'll close in Nov image What health probs - sorry to hear that. I'm concentrated all summer on shorter distances (half mara or less) to try and get some speed. Was going to hold off doing any marathons til Seville in Jan/Feb but then Norm (some of you know him) invited me to do an autumn marathon in Canada...dilemma...

Went out with my club for the first time Tues since Comrades - all went a bit wrong. Woke up 6pm (nightshifts) - didnt drink or eat anything (last ate 8am) - it was SO humid - just felt terrible, ended up walking part of a 7 mile run!!! Luckily everyone was suffering a bit in the humidity but i just felt empty - must eat! Been only eating once a day on holiday and since I came home as I've not been doing any long runs - dont feel i need to eat more, just maybe slightly closer to running!
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Douglas - you looked normal until you tried to move image

Carmen - the 7 miler I did today was the longest I've done since Comrades. zzzzz am just porky and unfit! But you know what they say, "Don't peak too soon!"

How is Norm and where are my pink puke photos image 

• Carmen - Speed work sounds good for the summer, can't but help come next June. Dont't worry I'll buy my entry on the day it opens, I just wont commit to doing the race until I'm confident that I can handle the training. Health wise I have no idea what's been wrong, I've just spent a lot of the year unable to run at 2 or 3 mins/mi slower than normal, despite training as hard. Believe me it's not much fun struggling to run at 9m/mi for 30mins whilst  training for a marathon where you were hoping to average 6m/mi.image

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    maybe you're just knackered cos of the new baby? hope it gets better anyway image

Fido - Norm is having tech issues but is on the case trying to upload the pics - they shall come your way when I get them, vom and all!!
  • Evening all

Have a 30 miler at the weekend and hope to get pen D sorted. Funny distance so anyone done one. Always try and run a marathon but start walk breaks early in ultras.

4.40 needed so could walk some. Find my natural pace is around 8.45 so was thinking run to 20 then go 9/1 Any views?

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

I've run an off-road 30 miler on the South Downs... but it was very hilly so I did the usual run the flats and downhills strategy (I was still very slow...).

• Thaks SD. As its 3.5 mile loops will pick up my snack/drink each lap and walk until gone I think. Then walk  9/1 from 20. O got target wrong 4.50 neededimage

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

No running this weekend but we got a new dog, so the household is now 2Dogs again

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Congrats Fido .. hope old dog is happy with new dog!

just lots of short but much faster runs for me!  Trying to get my love for running back after the slog of training for Comrades here in Angola.  Off to Baku for 2 weeks next week, and then volunteering for the Olympics (Velodrome).  After that will start training for a marathon later in the year to see if I can get my C starting pen again.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Excellent Fido! Hope they are gettting on well together.

Off to Stockholm at the weekend to run in the Jubilee Marathon celebrating 100 years since the 1912 Olympic marathon.  I need a test run in my 1912 style gear this week to check it doesn't chafe too much...image

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    1912 gear??!! We need pics Speedy!!

And a new puppy!! How exciting - name pls Fido?

And Peter - you missed it - Eurovision was in May...
  • Great news Fido image.
    Finally done some running, 5km's on Sunday (as part of a sprint triathlon), and 5km's just now along the Thames. Absolutely no issues with the knee, so hopefully on the mend. Will concentrate on swimming and cycling this year to keep up the fitness, and just throw in a couple of marathons to keep on track for the 100 image. 1st one New Forest, and then Florence.

• forgot Kent and Abingdon as well image

• Evening all

Pen D sorted Saturday with a 4.45 for 30 miles. A lot harder than I would like but carrying a bit of a niggle so job done.

Have fun SD sounds great

Fido You seem to  be sticking aroundimage

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Douglas - good to hear that your knee is behaving itself.

Martin - nice run!

Got soaked trying out my retro kit this evening - I hope it doesn't rain on Saturday as the shirt and shorts got very wet and heavy!  Mrs SD will probably take photos at the weekend so I'll upload them onto FB...

• Martin - a bit early to worry about seeding, surely ! Congrats on the run though.

Good luck with the retro weekend SD. I've got a trail 50k which will probably be a wet and muddy nightmare so I'm going to use any modern technology which might help. But it won't . Grim... And I definitely won't use it for Comrades seeding as I already know I will be very very slow.
  • hi Kevin. As a sub 4 runner wanted to get D Sorted a quick as poss. Mablethorpe marathon in October main challenge. Go for a 3.40 which would also be a 8 min pb but crash and burn dont have to worry
  • Good news Douglas, ran 40 minutes today and nearly blew up sneezing. Run + hay fever = miserable.

SD: good luck in the grandad y-fronts. Pics please.

Anyone recommend a good marathon in the autumn? I am musing over the B2B and wouldn't mind getting the qualifier out the way early. Been doing the Gloucester for the last 2 years to qualify for the 2O and Comrades.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Hans C - Chester is on Oct 7 and Liverpool on Oct 14 (I think going from memory).  I guess they would still have places at this stage.  Also Preston on Oct 28.  I've done none of them so can't actually recommend one to you.  I'm in Abingdon on Oct 21, but it is full already due to being rather flat and an ideal PB course

• Cheers bike it

Was considering Chester, running been a little spotty since C. Guess I would chase the D seeding and maybe improve next year. How your legs?
  • What would everyone say with regards to average cost of doing Comrades?

Not thinking of holidaying but perhaps going out the Thursday beforehand and coming back the Tuesday afterwards.

So looking at flights, accommodation, race entry, living expenses whilst out there etc?

Thanks.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Hmm gram. 700-800 for flights etc (depends what you book and when),  accommodation, you could find a dorm room bed in a nice hostel for 15-20 quid per night, a room to yourself 30-something (for both add 1-10 quid per day for buses or taxis), a hotel near the Expo perhaps double that again. So accommodation 150-300 maybe? Food more or less same as it is here. 

So all in all around the thousand quid mark ... ish... 

Gibelas is a nice hostel where a few of us have stayed but it fills up so book early. Sign up for all the airlines' mailing lists and start watching for flight sales. There are cheap airlines that fly from JNB to DUR but again I guess early booking helps. 

Race entry is $180 iirc. Unless you have contacts in SA and can join a SA running club and get a local address to apply from.  

• Hans - Leicester on 7th of October is another option. Reasonably quick course with a bit of a hill to finish. I won't be going back there to defend my 2011 title though as I'll be doing Abingdon on the 21st for a chance at a PB.

After virtually no running in June to follow no running in April and half of May, I am finally gradually starting to build up again having run for the last 2 weeks. I did the JP Morgan Challenge on Thursday. It bucketed down and Battesea Park was excessively muddy. Took me 20:43 for the 5.6km. 43 seconds down on last year in terrible conditions with no speed work for nearly 4 months shows that a good run at Abingdon may still be achievable.

• Best wishes for Abingdon and great time for your second comrades. A time I could only dream of at this point.

Cheers for the Leicester heads up, missed that one on the radar.