Getting Started

Comments

• Kaytee

What's all this "weather permitting" nonsense. You get those shoes on and start running!;)

Neil
  • Hi,Have only just discovered this site and managed to work out how to reply to you all!
    It is great to know there are so many others my age (31)running!
    I started running in March and have done a 5K for cancer research which was great and it has made me enter a half marathon in Sept to raise money for meningitis ( which my daughter had - now recovered fully!)
    I am finding the training really tough now though,I have managed to run for 60 mins and boy did I ache after!!
    I have also joined a gym so I can do Fartlek running on a treadmill,far too embarrasssing to run fast whilst out in public in case I trip over my feet!
    On a serious note though I never see anyone else out running though and to be honest it is hard running aroung the same old streets time and time again but I am dedicated and I will keep up with all your comments because that is the best motivation of all!!
  • MikeyMikey ✭✭✭
    Hi Kaytee,

no I'm based in the north west - I went to Running Bear in Alderly Edge, just outside Manchester

MikeB
  • Crikey !

You turn your back for five minutes and there's a population explosion :) I'm so glad to see so many people (of so many ages) contributing to this thread. I'm glad to see we're all getting so much out of this and now we have our little support network in place we should all go far :)

No post yesterday due to having a job interview that lasted half a day and visiting my gran in hospital - events also conspired to make me postpone my run - will be redoubling my efforts today.

So - goodbye 32 club and hello multi age beginners club. God bless her and all who sail in her :)
  • Having been running for 3 months once a week I decided to increase my outings last week and am off for this weeks run 3 this lunch time.

Notwithstanding a little 8 mile club handicap next Tuesday (I'm in this one to get round!...because there's a pub and grub at he end)...I am actually training for a 5k at the end of August, hoping to beat my first 5k race time from when I started of 32m. So, I'll drive a 3 miler before work and then see how I do at lunch time.

Sees you folks later...happy running.
  • ...Ahhh, missed the important bit...I'm 35! :-))
  • Keswick1uk; Good luck for your 5k,I am sure you'll be amazed at the progress you'll have made in 3 months and will beat your time.
    Garylad;It's surprising how your body benefits from an enforced rest! I could not train for a week and a half due to a knee injury,I must have been a nightmare - anxious and desperate to run again and when I eventually did my training was much better.I think nature has a funny way of forcing us to rest our bods sometimes.I am sure you will not have to train harder to make up for lost time!
  • Hi All,
    I Have changed from NicWells to Nic.
    Disaster has struck.I broke my toes last night. kicking the sofa as i walked past. Stupid thing to do i Know. How long is this going to take to heal. Think i will have to go to the Pool. as I dodnt want to get out of the habit of doing something now i have started.
  • Wow this thread is really growing.
    NIc, nightmare about the toe, sounds very painful too. I have no idea how long it will take to heal, but if you are going to go swimming instead this would be a good move as the water helps protect you from injury, and you can work on different breathing techniques which will help you out when you return to running.
    Kaytee and Neil, I actually quite enjoy running in the rain. Apparently its meant to be easier because there is more oxygen in the air, although I imagine you have to be an elite runner to notice this. The rain keeps you cool and you notice the sweat. Buy a baseball hat to keep the rain out of your eyes.
    Garylad hope the interview was ok. Shame you didn't get in a run afterwards as it would have been a good time to reflect on it.
    Everyone, thanks for the speedwork advice. I am looking forward to launching myself into it tomorrow morning. Last night I went to the club and got through quite a hard session with them on the track. I would say the majority of them are of a higher standard then me, plus they are training for the GRN so their mileage is pretty high. However running with people faster than yourself gives you something to aim for. I ache this morning though, but in a good way, if that makes sense.
    So lots of us are on the 5k trail. I've got one at the end of October, and also a possible at the end of September.
    This is such a good support network. I feel I've made a lot of progress just reading through the threads. I find a lot of people my age (I'm at the younger end of the spectrum here) have been running since their schooldays so its nice to talk with people who have come to the sport a bit later in life, especially finding out there are others whose talents did not emerge at school.
    Finally, is any one else obsessed with driving their running routes to measure them, or is it just me?
    Daisy
  • Hi Daisy - I am REALLY obsessed with measuring my routes...and it's not just me that is! I finally downloaded trailgauge and scanned lots of A-Zap pages and spend ages clicking my way round the streets to get varying lengths of route. I also love the fact that once you've input your time on the route, it tells you your pace! Fab!

Nic - really sorry to hear about your toe & hope it heals quickly.
  • <blush> I've just driven my 3 mile lunch time route </blush>

Swimming is a lovely change Nik. I'm more a swimmer than a runner and found advantage in upper body strength and c.v. coming into running from endurance swimming. I have to say I am still having problem with finding a good breathing pattern though.

When you are swimming Nik watch your toes on your turns!

Take care..its sounds terribly painful.
  • I've always been obsessed with how far I've run - got an A-Z and a bit of string as I can't drive.

Can I join in this thread too. I'm starting back running after a baby and it's been harder than when I started the very first time but I'm improving more quickly this time round. It's so motivating reading all your running efforts. I even felt motivated to make an effort about speed training again. I used to do it on a treadmill but am no longer a member of a gym so am having to brave doing it outdoors...

I did my first proper speed training session last night with my running club - much easier to do it with other people. It was 10 times one minute up a hill over the Downs and I managed to do 9 properly and died a bit on the last one. Since I started back running regularly again in May, I've done one 10k and one 5k (Race for Life)

Am doing the Flora Light Challenge in September and am hoping to have a good run there and to significantly improve on my Race For Life effort which was 30 mins (before baby, I was doing 22 to 23 minutes)

Aged 30 so am not far off 32. Happy running to everyone.
  • Running Muppet - I do the same thing as I don't have a car. I have photocopied the A-Z pages around where I live and stuck them together to make one big map. Armed with my string I plan my routes!

I began running at the end of May after getting bored of going to the gym. I have found entering races gives me a reason to run and something to aim towards, but have so far not run more than 6 miles. I am planning a 10mile run on Sunday so looking forward to it, but a bit nervous! I am building up to the Bristol half marathon in September and have entered the FLM, although not sure if I'll get in!

Reading these threads gives me inspiration to train when I get home. As I am by far the slowest in my running club, it's nice to find there are others around my speed out there!

Suz
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Nic - how on earth did you come to be kicking the sofa? Was it an accidental thing or did something make you mad? And Gary - let us know if you get the job!

Welcome to everyone new by the way!

Deborah - I wonder how you could make your runs a little bit more inspiring. Is there a park or something nearby you could go run in and admire the scenery? Or take a day trip somewhere and explore it by running (for time rather than distance)? Or if you really have to stick to the same streets, what about the old favourite of having a good old snoop in people's windows? You could make up all sorts of plots about them as you're running past...be home before you know it!

I am going for a 3 mile run tonight with hubby, who has just started so it will be a steady walk 1, run 1. Going to have to make sure I still go out on my own sometimes to push my limits. Talking of pushing limits though, I had to take a break for 2 days as overdid it a bit at the beginning of the week: Monday - gym incl. treadmill run - "how far can I get in 20 mins" in the morning, then 2 mile run with husband in evening. Tuesday - taekwondo class with loads and loads of painful stretches and kicks etc. I was sorer than I've been for AGES. Disturbs my sleep too, as every time I roll over I wake myself up. :(

Fiona
    x
  • Fiona - I got up to goto the Loo, and kicked it on the way past.... Dumb eh...
    BTW the stiffness seems to be going away as the day wares on, so i am hoping its just badly bruised, as i was supposed to go for a run tonight. I wqas looking forward to going out aswell. But i think i should let it go for tonight. I will let you know if i go out..
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Ah well, Nic, these things are sent to try us! Hope it is just bruised. A friend of mine did a very similar thing whilst on holiday in Greece and it took us a wrestle with the Greek hospital system to realise hers wasn't broken either.

Anyway, back to the point. What do you (anyone!) think - should I be brave and go for the twice around my 5k route tomorrow and see what happens? There IS a 10k in Buckie in September when I'm going to be in the North of Scotland anyway... I can now run about 15 mins without stopping. Should I be waiting until I can run the 30 mins nonstop before trying to up my distance? I'm QUITE happy with the walk/run philosophy, so not like I'd be trying to run the whole 10k anyway, just get round.

Fiona
    x
  • I say go for it too! If you don't make the whole route, then you don't...You can try again next week!
  • Okay so today's update. I trained last on wednesday and didn't feel sore and I had new shoes too. Yesterday I had a rest day (and needed it) and so today I managed to run with the boss from work for this corporate cup thingy and I managed to run 2 miles in 20 mins without stopping - which I was quite pleased about :) and I've taken the dog out and been on the step machine for 30mins :)

Nic - shame about the toe(s). I hope it's only bruised!

Daisy - I've driven a couple of my routes but there's one which is parkland which I can't take the car for so I'm "borrowing" my other half's bike at the weekend because it has a milometer on it :)

Fiona -- I've upped the pace a little further than the beginner schedule also, I'm running 20 minutes now without a break - averaging 1mile/10mins give or take a few strides :) I think I'm doing okay but I doubt I'd be able to run 10K at the moment. I've only just entered a 5K for September.

Mikey -- Hi, yes I bought new shoes on Tuesday evening. I've not looked back since! The shin pains are far less than what they were and they don't last after running! I'm an overpronator and I am also a little bit over weight (admittedly not as much as when I started running!) which meant I need a pronation support and motion control shoe. I bought a pair of Asics - the guy in the sport shop was surprisingly knowledgeable. I didn't get what I wanted (I wanted Nike Ladies Triax) but I also wanted the support sooner rather than later - I anticipate buying new shoes regularly anyway so they'll be my next buy.

Kaytee -- You know your post brought tears to my eyes because I really hadn't thought about it but you know, you're right I am doing really well. I have to admit, I'm getting alot of support from the guys at work and my partner. One of the guys at work has offered to take me to his gym and train with me to maintain the motivation - which is great but we'll see, mainly because I'm not a talker-&-runner, I like to concentrate and breathe right and relax into it but if I'm trying to chat too I can't concentrate ... so we'll see what happens :) But thanks for your post it really really cheered me up at work today when I read it :)

Garylad -- Hey we missed you yesterday! How'd it go with the job interview anyway..?

Debs -- I have to agree with you about the rest because yesterday my body was telling me I was shattered (mainly due to lack of sleep I think) and I couldn't have trained yesterday even if I'd wanted to! On saying that I had a couple of aches and pains from the day before and yesterday I had a warm bath and rest and bed early and today I was able to reach my 2 mile goal in 20 mins without stopping :)

Deborah Crocker & Keswick1UK -- welcome :)
  • Cath - I'm really pleased you're recognising your achivements! Well done again and keep at it..at the rate you're going, you'll breeze through the 5K!
    Kate:)
  • Fiona - go for it. You can always go more slowly than you usually do to make it a bit easier to run further and what's the worst thing that could happen?

Nic - nightmare about the toe. I did the same thing a few years back whilst doing the weekly shop around Tesco's. I had flip-flops on and stubbed it on a trolley. I couldn't run for about a month I seem to remember.

Cath - I'm with Kaytee on your breezing the 5k. 2 miles in 20 minutes is very respectible indeed.

Gotta dash and feed the cats.
  • Fiona go for it. Even if you have walk breaks its still doing you good, and at least you know where you are in regards to your upcoming 10K.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cath - Well done, see it is all worth the aches and pains. And the new trainers are helping the aches i hope.

I am going to try and get a pic up tonight so expect a few test messages.

Nic
  • Hi folks
    I just didn't realise there were so many people out there in the same situation as me! I used to run about 10 years ago and religiously bought RW every month until I got married and had my son. Now 10 years on and suddenly single I have started my running again with a colleague from work. I was about 3 stone overweight and have managed to lose about a stone and half of that and it still seems to be coming off. My friend and I completed the Race for Life in Stratford in May and now we are well and truly hooked! We only run twice aweek at the moment for around 3 miles and this takes us 30 mins. We also do a 'spinning' class on wednesdays which really helps to tone our legs.
    We both have family commitments and find we perhaps don't run as much as we should. I have tried to encourage my son who is 7 to run with me but he has asthma and stops after around 10 mins! I do have limited times I can run as I tend to have my son on alternate nights so if the weather is particularly bad then a run is missed.
    I would just like to say to everyone that anything is possible and to think positive, even when perhaps you don't really feel like running. Mind over matter!
    Fi
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hello fellow Fiona! Well done on getting started running again, and the weight loss!

And thanks to everyone else for all the encouragement about trying my first 10k training run! Well I did do it yesterday. VERY nearly didn't, as was just about dying at the halfway mark (as I passed my front gate) and NEARLY gave up. It was thinking about having to come back on here and say "um, sorry, chickened out" that did it.

I got round it in the spectacular time of 1h 19m 10s :( but at least it can only be up from here :) !! I had a lot more problems on the 1st 5k than I usually do - think my mistake was being too ambitious at the start and trying to run for too long before introducing the walking breaks. Then a really wierd thing started to happen - I got pins & needles all down the back of my left leg and foot. So that put me off a fair bit. Also encountered the joys of rubbing shorts and blisters. Picked up my water bottle on the second circuit and took it with me - was also a lot more sensible with the walk/run ratio, so both helped. But near the end had problems with my hips again. Every step I took I could feel my hipbones jarring into their sockets (or that's what it felt like). It was a pavement route all the way around and I was REALLY aware of how little give concrete has.

Last night I was in so much pain I woke up in the middle of the night and stayed awake for an hour. Miraculously, all the hip pain has disappeared this morning and I feel great!!

Will I be doing it again? Well, not in a hurry. I'll work up to it I think...we'll see about the 10k race - can enter on the day!

Fiona

PS - discovered that running with a poorly sealed water bottle can effectively mimic a light drizzle! :)
  • Fiomac

Well done hon!!! You did it, that's what matters! I had a crappy training day today - still managing to run 2 miles in 20 mins but discovered the joys of not warming up sufficiently. Normally I do 10 mins on the stepper and then go out, but today for some reason I did 5 mins and well half way round I could feel the calf tendon on the outside of my right ankle twinging - which resulted in a couple of walking breaks this time which I was disappointed about because I've run the distance now without stopping. Anyway... well done you again!!!
  • Wayhay! Well done Fiomac!!....only 6 days previous to yesterday you said you can't imagine doing anything longer than a 5k distance - running 10k is an incredible achievement...You must be so chuffed!
    Fiona, were the pins and needles on the same side as the hip that's been hurting? It may be worth doing some hip rotation excercises before you go out for a run.
    Well done again!
    Kate
  • Whoooohoooo! Well done Fiomac. Though a shame you got hip pain - hope it doesn't come back again.

I wasn't feeling all that like doing my long run today but luckily my friend rang up and asked if I'd like to go with her the only problem being is that she's that much faster than me at the moment. Still, I went and we did 7 miles over the Downs and near the end I felt like I was flying - it was amazing. First time I've felt like that since I started back running. I'm actually starting to think that maybe I could even attempt some PB's come the autumn!!! I can't wait now for the Flora Light Challenge to see how I go.

Anyone else here doing the Flora Light Challenge?
  • Hi all. I face the long road again having been a decent (77:27 1/2 marathon) runner.
    How can a mile hurt so much! Ah,yes, I remember it well!
  • Hi All,
    Well i tested out my toes today, as i am pretty sure they were not broken. And i managed to run 4 mins then walk 2 mins 5 times without any pain at all, So i am all happy again. I found a nice woodland run, so got nice and dirty, but really enjoyed it. Rest day tomorrow, but i am going to go swimming on rest days. Is this too Much??
    Also what should my daily calorie intake be? I am 31 yr old Male 6'4'' and 19St 7Lbs.

Nic