Getting Started

13»

Comments

• Hi everyone
    Nic I'm glad its not broken. I quite like getting muddy aswell when running, makes you look really hard doesn't it. No idea about calories, but you should always eat more when you are exercising anyway. I like swimming as an alternative to running as it gives my arms a good workout and you can always trail the legs behind you to rest them
    Fiona well done on the 10k run. You have done it now so that will be a confidence boost at the back of your mind for next time.

I did some speedwork at the weekend and I quite enjoyed it, I did one min as fast as I could, and then one min rest for 5 times with jog warm up and warm down. Learned my lesson not to go too fast as one min is about 20 seconds longer than I thought!

I have had the string out on the map and I have been driving trying to find a 5k route. I have a good 4 miler which I like to do at the weekend.
    Tonight I am off with the running club and the sky has turneda threatening shade of gray which is typical but better than running in beating sun.

Jogaphant I would say your 1/2 marathon time is more than decent, does that work out at 6min mile pace? What is your secret? I don't think I could complete one mile in six mins even if thats only as far as I was going, never mind 13.

• It was a while ago, Daisy. I'm looking forward to a 10-k in October. Well, it's a start. Good luck.
  • To Nic .

Nic I started running trhis year for the London Marathon. I was 19st 2lb and lost two stone.
    Don't worry about calorie intake, just eat sensibly, fresh fruit , veg , don't give up the odd pint or two!! I think you will find like me that the fitter you become the better balanced your appetite becomes. You just won't feel like overeating.

Take things nice and steady and just go out and enjoy yourself, don't make waht you are doing a punishment or you will give up.

Please if you can, make absolutely sure that your shoes are correct for your running style, if you are tired have a rest, not running one day may actually be beneficial ironically, especially if you are carrying any sort of injury. I in hindsight did too much too soon to compete in the London Marathon, i made it but now have a knee problem which is quite serious and am not able (banned in fact by the consultant) for at least four mionths from running.

Us big blokes put tremendous pressure on our joints, dont't forget that the weight on a knee joint multiplies two to three times our body weight. i.e. in our case approx 57 stone!!

However good luck and enjoy, and be safe out there!!
  • Knackered Knees,
    Thanks for the advice. I am trying to eat sensibly now. No chocalate etc when i feel hungry. Fruit instead. I have decided to run and swim on alterante days. So as to give the legs a rest. Well done on the London Marathon. But i know how you feel about the knee problems. As i knackered my knees whilst in the army. (Playing Rugby) And now i do occasionally suffer with knee pains.
    I do not know if i have the correct trainers for my feet. I have flatoverpronated feet i beleive and i am running in Nike Trainers. Cant remember the exact name. Will check tonight when i get home. Does anyone know where a good running shop is in the Kent area??
    Good luck with the Knee Problem Though Knackered knees.

Nic
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Did a big post earlier on and lost it all because the site seemed to go down as I tried to post it :(

Anyway, thanks to everyone who said nice things to me about my measly attempt at a 10k!! Was actually more disheartened than heartened by the whole thing immediately after, but now thinking more and more of where I went wrong and sure I could do better next time. Haven't been able to get out running since, have a taekwondo gradind soon and trying to fit in extra classes for that. I find it really hard to keep both interests going - when I concentrate on one the other suffers. Anyone else have that problem?

Nic - I'm so glad the toe isn't broken. Don't know about calories much either and agree with KK above about being better off not getting too into it. But if you want a general idea, try visiting the www.ivillage.co.uk site, Health & Fitness section. It's largely a women-oriented site but has some useful "health calculators" stuff.

Interesting to hear what you say too, KK, about knee strain - my other half (6st 2in, 16 stone) has just taken up running and is having knee problems already. Had gone back to power-walking the route instead till it heals.

Fiona
  • Hi everyone have spent ages reading all these messages it is really great that there is so many people like me out there. I started running in April, Not very fast but I get there in the end. The main aim was to loose weight, have lost 2 stone so far but have another 2 to go. Ran a 5K in June and in a fit of madness have entered a 10K in October so I'd better get in some serious training. Glad you may be up-ing the age limit as I am 34, so hope I am still eligible for this 32 club. I also go running in early morning, usually so no one can see me. Not a pretty sight all hot and sweaty! But it feels great!
  • Nic: re running shop in Kent. I've just been to Sweatshop, Maidstone. Friendly and patient. See www.sweatshop.co.uk for details. Very close to an M20 junction
  • Lastbus: thanks that is judt down the road from me.

Nic
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hi slowcoach, welcome! Keep us up to date with your weight loss and your 10k training and race! Have you seen the "Fat Club" thread (very derogatory name but they picked it!!)in the Health & Fitness forum section?

Fiona
  • Hi Jamsey here from Glasgow!

Been running for a while, used to hate it when I dun a bit of boxing in my youth, now it'sthe only thing that chills me out. Nevern done the club thing...they all seem too fast!?
    Trying to shift & keep off the pounds, but dont take it too serious. enjoy my beer and curry's then feel guilty and go for a run....the next day of course.

Any like minded folk out there?? Not really interested if your potential Paula R or not!!

See ya!
    Jamsey......I'm off for a wee packet of crisps!!! The shame!!
  • Have done the Race for Life for the past 3 years and every year I swear I'm going to keep up the running .... needless to say I haven't quite managed it. Decided last week that I would not let another year (or another stone) go by (am 35 years old now)and have been running every other day. Am, surprisingly for me, still quite motivated and bought new trainers (from Sweatshop in Maidstone - the guy was really helpful there). Anyone that knows the medway towns will know that it is fairly hilly but I'm taking one day at a time. Hoping to lose a couple of stone and be able to stay awake at night. Its nice to read about other real people out there.
  • Hi Claire,

Nice to see your enjoyin your running, I find the whole eating thing my biggest drawback....cant help myself!

Heading out for a wee run tonight, an easy 3 mile seeing as it's a wee bit hot! Got a nice bottle of red wine to chill out with after....I wont feel as guilty!!

Working away from home just now, so the running is coming on well, it's keeping me out the pub at night. Targeting the Glasgow 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks time, up to about 8 miles comfortably so will probably just go for the "dying on the day" strategy.....Remember and get those shoes dirty, I always fel ashamed when somoene runs by me with all the gear!!

J
  • Hi. For some insane reason I have decided to give this running lark at bash. There is loads of useful info for beginners on this site and in all the mags, however there is one key piece of information missing.

All the beginners guides are basically the same, walk then run, run for 2 walk for 1 etc etc.

The thing I don't get is the running!! At what speed am I considered to be running?

I can run for 15 mins at 7.5kph and 5 mins at 10kph. However, is 7.5 actually running or is that considered a fast walk?

I realise this is a bit dim, but a bit of guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
  • Hey Pete man,

Your a sprinter.....slow down my man!

Jamsey
  • Hi Pete and everyone,

I am interested too in what is a fast walk, jog or run!

I have been jogging / running since april, and seem stuck at one speed - around 10 min mile (hence the name). But I am taking on board the advice to do some fartlek or intervals? Run as fast as you can for a short distance, then slow jog to recover, a few times each run.. that sort of thing..

Claire, I know what you mean about hills - I live near Halifax, very hilly. They nearly kill me sometimes, and I find it quite depressing because I still have no spare energy half way up! But I guess I have some fantastic views to look at, so it sort of makes up for it. (And i finally gave up smoking about 6 weeks ago, so have more lung space to help me now!!)

I am doing a local 10k on 8th september and i am seriously worried about it. I am going to do a 6 mile run on sunday and see how I go. If it was reasonably level ground round here I would do so much better, I can run for 20+ minutes on the flat, but about 5 seconds on a hill!!

Any advice for the first 10k would be lovely!

go-slow (Les)

• Hello everyone

Have been running for nearly a year now and am doing a ½ Marathon on October 6. So great to read how everyone's been getting on. You don't think you're making progress until you look at your log (if you've kept one) or run a route that you've previously timed.

Have run two 10ks and the second one I knocked 5 mins off my time - so very pleased.

Les - don't go too fast in the early stages - it's very easy to get swept along with the other runners. Also don't be afraid to walk for say 30 secs or a minute, but no longer. I've found that has really helped me to regroup and keep going. Am also doing a 10k on Sept 8 in Framlingham - not the same one is it?

Best of luck

Helen
  • The question "how fast is running/jogging/walking" is meaningless. Do not worry about it. The first objective is get out there, then get out there for 30 mins at a time.

Speed is relative - if 12 min per mile keeps you at your able to talk level and 8 mins per mile keeps your friend at the same point then 10 mins is running too fast for you and jogging too slow for him.

Speed only matters when you want to race faster than last time you raced.
  • Hi everyone,
    Its funny seeing everyone asking how fast they should go. I agree with Mij speed is really meaning less, as if I kept comparing myself with everyone else I'd have probably quit by now. I can only go at approx 10min mile but I am quite chuffed (no infact really chuffed) with that.
    Considering when I first went out I felt as if my lungs were exploding after 30secs. The fact I can now run for 30 mins at a time is fantastic. Don't think I am ever going to make my mark on running but curiously I am loving it, even if it may seem as if I am plodding along.
    It is quite a comfort to know I am not the only one who isn't record breaking material.
    It isn't how fast you are going that matters its the fact that your out there at all!!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    I guess technically "running" is when you, at some point, don't have either foot on the ground! Does that work out? Walking you always have at least one foot on the ground. Can anyone help me out here?

Fiona
  • I've got to agree with Mij. Speed doesn't matter. Just being out there matters.

For the record, I understand that to be considered walking (in the athletic sense, for races) one foot must be in contact with the ground. It follows therefore that to be running, both feet need to be off the ground at some point. Again, don't worry about it. On another thread, someone (can't remember who now) said that in one race he decided to walk briskly up a hill and he overtook others who were 'running'.

All the best,

RB
  • I'm going to have trouble in getting out tonight for my run (2 young children and a husband who plays golf!) and I don't have a treadmill at home - the only thing I have is a rebounder. Does anyone think it is of any help to me to run on the rebounder? I know it won't be the same but I just can't see a way round it. Its that or jogging round the lounge!! Any help or alternatives would be greatly appreciated 'coz I don't want to put up obstacles now I'm motivated.
  • I usually get the skipping ropes out, you need a wee bit of room but the weans usually stay well clear which is an added bonus! You can work up a good sweat while keeping an eye on the dinner for when your man returns!!
  • Take kiddies to the local track? Let them play as you run in circles.

OK. Its not necessarily practical. I understand as I'm in the same position. It can be very difficult can't it.
  • Thank you James. I've done a bit of kickboxing so have a really wicked skipping rope which really hurts when it gets the back of your legs. Maybe that will make me jump higher! I really must get on with the hoovering now or I'll end up sitting here all day.
  • Claire - how about running up & down the stairs..? Boring I know, but I can't think of anything else..!
    Michelle x
  • Thanks for all your thoughts. I may go to the local park and the kids can play on the swings and slides and I could run round the perimeter of the field. They're never out of my sight then. Mind you, I thought the point of running was that I left them all behind!
  • Claire

I have spent a lot of time in hotels sometimes in places where I didn't really want to go out running! In these instances I use a chair and do steps up - this is really hard work. Alternatively I use the time for cross training (push ups, sits ups etc)