Last one out ...

2»

Comments

• WHo knows Stevie ... all the spam these days are computer generated hence the expanse and times posted so there is I assume very little thought process that goes with it

Most irritating and something that can be so easily resolved but for some reason RW are just not doing it !!

• Have to admit it was like reading a copy of RW...the first three pages all advertising/spam....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as well as all the games being free in terrestial tv....most steams are freely available on the net too...so how do they hope to make money from these spam threads?

maybe these simply fall into the "irritate everyone" category rather than the sell sell sell.

Flatty...there are still a few decent bits in the mag...race reviews...erm..and other bits

Maybe this is revenge of the Russian or Czech geek who was teased in school by the sporty kids.

• E-mails sent to all:

I'm a forum user on RW - as a forum we are all wondering if the advertisers know that the first 12 pages consist of spam and most forumites struggle to use it because of this?  Huge frustration hence I'm turning to advertisers to see if you can exercise any influence...

ah ....achilles heel tick

running shoes london    tick

Rat Race store

millets stores

pete bland stores

runners need

gear for girls

sportsshoes.com

start fitness

simply run

I expect to be cancelled as a forumite forthwith....... ta ra!  image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

OW, if you don't work in an office, you should do with that approach!

The classic, "go to the frustrating person's boss" approach image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

...except that if the advertisers get too upset then we might no longer have a forum.

• I did consider that SC - would we notice?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Probably not, considering I have been having more fun on FB this evening.

• There must be oodles of them by now !

• I had a cunning plan and wrote a quick script to extract the usernames of the spammers, which I then manually added to my ignore list.

Was going well until I was ignoring 20 users and couldn't add any more image

Anyway, I'm out of here until this mess gets sorted out. Forum is unusable.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

can you only ignore 20 users?

I'm almost full up then image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

imageThe spam is getting in here as well. The last sanctuary.

• Chris on 'site stuff' says the forum is fixed image

Wonder if he posted on the wrong forum

• OW - That thread is from years ago. I bumped it  because Chris is now the Chief Technology Officer of the company the 'tech team' works for. However, I'm sure that  Hearst  must also take some blame for this too.

• I've had a couple of replies from advertisers. I'm not copying them here because they do not expect/deserve that.  Sympathetic to us, is how I would describe it. Suspect the others will be opened up on Monday with a WFT!!!!! reaction 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

This is a free website and we pay nothing so have limited rights to complain. That said, on a free website we're the product and the bait for advertisers. If I was paying to access the many people who use the site but don't use the magazine I'd be asking where my money was going and why the tech support are sleeping on the job. Moderation only in office hours is not good enough.

So OW is on the right track imho.

• I think going to advertisers is disproportionate.

I've had immense value from the RW forums. Mostly that value has come from informed posts of experienced/intelligent posters rather than from RW content. But without the forum I would never have got advice from experienced and knowledgeable runners, cyclists, swimmers, physios, doctors, excel experts, mountaineers, and even, on occasion, human beings.

I dip in and out of the forum but pretty much over ten years the forum has been up, accessible and usable within seconds. There is a widespread problem now with spam which isn't unique to RW. To target RW revenue because of the loss of a free resource for a relatively short space of time compared to the life of the forum is disproportionate.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

This is a free website and we pay nothing so have limited rights to complain. That said, on a free website we're the product and the bait for advertisers. If I was paying to access the many people who use the site but don't use the magazine I'd be asking where my money was going and why the tech support are sleeping on the job. Moderation only in office hours is not good enough.

So OW is on the right track imho.

It's something they should definitely look at, as there's been some nasty trolls on here before, spewing some allegations, and they just sit on here over the weekend sometimes....there should be an ability to take these down immediately.