Running partners??

Comments

• Im training for the FLM and have 2 mates who are thinking of entering (dont seem that keen) i only go out with them on Sunday and we do about 7/8 miles (would do more but they wont), problem i have is during the week there too busy during the week and cant motivate myself on my own so i only do about 4 miles a night a couple of times a week.

Would join a running club but what sort of set-up eg, how many times a week, how many miles etc...
  • If you are in the south west you can try www.womensrunningnetwork.co.uk or alternatively try http://www.realrunner.com/ukandeurope/women/sistersnetworkpage.htm

• Hello all,

Glad that some of you are getting sorted with running partners! Thanks to Louise in Brighouse for information about her group - it is a bit difficult for me to get there, but thank you very much for replying.

I might give Halifax a go, there is a club there.

What with the dark mornings and nights now, I am running out of time (excuse the pun), so have alternative options.. going to the gym at lunchtimes to do faster paced stuff, and also using a friends treadmill on other days. Every little helps I guess!

Thanks for all messages, they are helpful.

Go-slow
  • I'm in Wales too . . . Cool place, apart from the constant rain, constant hills, and constant lack of running partners! Everybody I know who runs is five min mile material (I'd kneecap the buggers if I could catch them) and for those of us who're 10 min milers on a good day that's a bit depressing. I don't fancy the local running clubs . . . too much like school PE for my taste. But there are so may good trails round here that you just can't run on your own, just for safety's sake. It's not only a case of mad axe murderers, rapists, and that lot--conditions in the hills can change so quickly, you're more likely to fall victim to the Snowdonia weather that a Hannibal Lecter wannabe.
  • Hello, I'm new to this thread, just looking around!

Kathryn Donovan - I live on the outskirts of Clapham and would love to run with someone, however I think you might be a bit too good for me as I am literally only just starting running again, following the run/walk programme on this site. IF you might like to run with me sometime once I have completed the programme and can run for 30 mins without stopping/dying, do give me a shout!

• Tryer
    I live in Cupar, Fife and run at about your pace if your interested in a running partner, I work really weird hours though so I only usually run early mornings or evenings
  • Running clubs do cater for slower runners/joggers and one way to cope with this in a group is for the faster ones [ at intervals] to run back to the slowest and run with them. This way the faster ones in a beginners group get more leg work and the slowest get some encouragement. Also nobody is ever left alone and there is always someone who will keep them company and the group does stop to let all regroup. There are not many who run at 5 mins /mile over distance. 6 to 12 is range of fitness at a club. Fitness does increase dramatically over a year of running. I found my club with a search on the computer.
  • Have found a club which I am considering going along to but just wanted to know generally what happens at running clubs and what kind of distances are covered?
  • Hi Jenna, Great to hear from someone who lives nearby. I work in St Andrews and live in 'muchty so pass through Cupar every evening about 5.30pm would that be suitable some evenings? How about occassional Sundays? Off to the GNR this weekend so how about meeting next week. Running pace is about 12min mile pace and usually go out for 3 - 4 miles in the evening although trying to get past the run/walk syndrome. Just getting back into running after a 2 year break and many pounds of an increase.
  • Hi Tryer
    I don't usually get home from work until 6pm I work in Dundee. I'm just starting back to running after a 3 year lapse mostly due to reoccuring shin splints, Haven't timed myself recently but would be roughly the same pace as you.
    Sundays would be ok though I get back from work about 11am so anytime after then
  • Hi Jenna, 6pm would be fine as my daughter lives in Cupar and I would go there until then. She might even come out too as she is at the thinking about starting back stage. She ran with me last year but gave up. Might not be a good idea this week as the legs are dead after yesterday's GNR but we could arrange something for the next week if you like.
  • Hi Noo Noos,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner I have been on holiday.

First off how was the GNR - I watched it on telly and vowed to be there next year - did you beat your predicted time?

Tonbridge isn't too far away at all - at the moment I am injured so under the watchful eye of my physio can only do slow short runs on the tread mill. Though once back to full strength I would love to meet up and run - I think we are about the same speed.

If you want e-mail me directly at s.genever@nrint.co.uk and we can arrange to meet up.

Hopefully see you soon

Susan
  • So, no-one in Bradford / Halifax then?? I am glad that you are all getting together, but I am not!! hee hee.

The boring old treadmill beckons..

If anyone goes to Halifax Harriers - let me know where/when you meet up, and if there are some slow go's like me.

Ta
    go-slow
  • I would like a running partner as well! Anyone from Dunfermline, Fife - Male, Female, Alien???
  • Hi moo moo, I replied to your e-mail but it was returned as unsent. Would love to run with you but I think Dunfermline is too far since I work in St Andrews but we could maybe arrange something occassionaly. Have you ever run with the Pitreavie lot? I used to know a few of them but have been away from running for so long that they are bound to have changed.
  • Used to run with them when I was younger and am seriously considering going back but a bit nervous about it as there has been a ten year gap in my running!!! Am thinking about it though, would be best probably as winter running would be a lot safer with a group.
  • Hi Jenna Legs not so bad today so I hope to get back out for a run later this week Maybe we could meet up next week. Pity the nights are getting darker as it means a lot of the nice routes out of Cupar are to dark to go. Let me know what suits you.
  • Hi Tryer
    How did you do in your run at the weekend?
    I can understand your legs aren't up to it this week, next week is fine by me any time after 6. If you could manage sunday I'm free after 12 and at least it's not dark then. Maybe you could show me some good routes as I'm quite new to the area.
  • Hi Jenna, Sunday went well but much slower than hoped for. Ran the first 4 miles with my hubby but he is too fast for me and I told him to go. Finished in 2.47 but I enjoyed it. Will let you know Friday about Sunday cause if hubby is working then I will be free all day and we can go out then. Certainly next week after 6pm will be great. Lived in Cupar for 15 years so know all the routes. Look forward to it.
  • Hi Jenna

I will be free from 3pm on Sunday if that is any good to you. We could meet outside the sports centre and maybe do a 3 or 4 mile run to see how we get on. Let me know if this suits.

Tryer
  • Only just found this thread - I would love to find a running partner as I get v.bored of my own company and also find I run much better with others. I live in Herts(Cheshunt)- anyone interested?. As an alternative, does anyone know any running clubs in my area?. I'm fairly new to running but have done 2 10k races this summer. The last one I finished in 67mins, so not exactly speedy but looking to improve.
  • Hi Jenna
    Sorry that we seem to have missed each other on this thread. Had hoped we could have managed to meet for a run today but maybe during the week then. What night would suit you for a run?
  • Hi
    I live in Pontefract West Yorkshire and I would love to find a running partner or if anyone knows of any running clubs in or around the area.
  • Go Slow - I'm nearish you - your side of Dewsbury. Just getting back into running, so am quite slow - 10 min mile. I get bored running the same routes so wld appreciate a change of scene.
  • Hi CaseE and Georgia,

Sorry for not getting in touch sooner - I only get to login here a couple of times a week. There are loads of local clubs in our area, lots in Leeds area, Halifax, Bradford, etc.. I cannot remember off hand where I found info - either here on RW site, or by going to Google search and typing in runnings clubs.

Anyone else around Bradford / Halifax, drop me a line!

Happy running folks :-)

Les

Georgia - I will email you and see where you are, or where we could get to. It would be nice to have company on long runs and I am about your speed.
  • Hi Jenna
    Just to say I am still up for a run in the evenings and some weekends if you are still interested. Will be starting to run in Cupar in the evenings soon anyway. Get in touch if you still would like to meet.

Speedy.G! (formally Tryer)
  • Hi,

First timer in the forum, but came across this chat and it was something that occured to me on my lunchtime run - I need someone to run with, I believe I am becoming a bit of a plodder so would be nice to have some inspiring company. I work in London so I tend to run along the Embankment most lunchtimes. Any advice welcome.
  • Hi Pingu

I run along Embankment on Mon, Wed and Fri lunchtimes - from just outside Temple down to Hungerford Bridge, along South Bank, over Blackfriars Bridge and then back down to Hungerford Bridge for a stretch and walk back to Temple.

We could meet up if you fancy, but I am only a beginner and very slow so I might not really be what you are looking for - please say so if that is the case, I won't be at all offended. Otherwise give me a shout!
  • Hi All

WANTED!

NORTHALLERTON AREA - SLOW JOGGER (LADY) - !!!

Let me know?!

Jay
  • HI all...
    Up here in Kilmarnock, now I know there are plenty other runners, I see loads of people out, and I always say evening, trouble is getting someone around the same pace.
    Up here we have a jogging club, I have seen them out, if that's jogging I just wonder what my slow plod is. Anyway, anyone looking for somebody to natter to while getting fit ??