tight and hurt calf

I seem to get a tight calf while running then really painful afterwards. I always stretch after and been using a rolling pin on my calf muscle which makes a big difference. Any suggestions of things I can do to stop it occurring. It seems more painful if I run rather than jog

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have something similar at moment - probably due to a recent increase in my running. It's probably due to damaged muscles not being given a chance to repair - have a few days off and run again when pain gone.

For what it's worth I am not going to follow my own advice!

• I'v a 10km on sat so may have to so I get round the course running. Gonna try sports massage as well to c if helps at all.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    I had a really tight calf for approx 10 days recently (during a taper period). It was in constant spasm and threatened to ruin the marthon I ran last weekend.

I tried everything, sports massage, foam roller, tennis ball, bio-freeze, heat, stretching, hot/cold treatment .......

Two days before the race a PT gave me something called Dry Needling, and then taped up the calf to improve blood flow. I was really sceptical about having needles stuck in the calf, but amazingly it was instant relief, and I ran a great marathon with just one twinge late on.

Anyway, something to consider if you get as desparate as I was.
  • Never heard of that. My plan is run spring marathon but can't see it happening at the min. I was ok doing 11min miles it's when I do 9 I get the problems. I seem to b getting brusing from rolling pin which makes me think tissue damage or muscle. After sat end Sept is my next booked race. A half so time ish get sorted