Options

Forum Spam: Apology and Fixes

Comments

• Options

It's really woeking isn't it. I wish I could take a shotgun to these pieces of shit.

• Options

Desperate situation for existing & potential RW users - who'd bother to trawl through an ocean of spam??

• Options

This is getting desperate!  Can't find threads that I was reading this morning! image

• Options

I have been clearing for an hour and am making very little headway

Dominique has left RW apparently as I found out when I got her OofO reply and Alison Hamlett has taken over so I have mailed her

I will clear as and when I can but I do have a few other issues to sort out image

• Options

I have been trying to target those with more posts so hopefully can get a bigger target with one hit

• Options

M...eldy, thanks for your efforts. Something needs to be done as we are being swamped.

• Options

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but lots of forums only post your first message after it's been verified. I have no idea how much extra work this would give people and it may not be appropriate for this forum but something really has to be done.

Maybe some of the long term users on here could be given some powers to help out?

• Options

Thanks for your efforts Meldy. 

• Options

I am not sure its worth carrying on tonight ... they are quicker than me !!

Its a new log-in every time

I will see if there is a lull and do another stint, I can only assume that whatever they put in place in June has somehow failed today because we havent had this level for a long time

• Options

Meldy - I  don't  blame you for calling it a day. This seems over and beyond what Spam wombles can realistically manage. image 

• Options
    Dear RunnersWorld this forum is becoming a joke fix the spam bots, ensure new users have to have some sort of validity check before posting, this is awful!
  • Options

Something obviously *was* working as we have had little to do for the last few months barr the odd bursts
    This is how it was before which leads me to believe that something has broken

Just Run, some of us do hence this my previous posts

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @meldy - I think you've gone above and beyond the call of duty. I was wondering if all of the spam wombles had called a mutiny and that as the reason for the barrage of posts but if you've been trying AND the level of posters is still increasing - I'd say leave it for today and get RW IT to sort it.

Thank you to you and the other wombles for trying
  • Options

Well it seems a lot clearer, I am not sure if the Wombles have managed to clear it all or whether RW Towers picked up my email or not

Either way, it looks a lot better than it did image

• Options
    It was me, deleting them. Been at it for about 30 minutes.
  • Options

Between us then I think  image

Lets hope we dont get another blast

• Options

M...eldy & Intermanaut.......thankyou

• Options

another round of spammers it seems again What a nightmare it must be for u!! is there anything we can do to help?

• Options

Runner's World is sorry for any annoyance or inconvenience caused by this weekend's spam attack. As Dominique stated at the start of september, we're introducing third party software to prevent this happening in the future. The software is currently in the final phase of testing and will be implemented as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Alison

• Options

Bozo'd messages are still shown in the search results, even though the pages are empty when loaded.

• Options
    Alison Hamlett wrote (see)

Runner's World is sorry for any annoyance or inconvenience caused by this weekend's spam attack. As Dominique stated at the start of september, we're introducing third party software to prevent this happening in the future. The software is currently in the final phase of testing and will be implemented as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Alison

image .... this is the poor show of poorest shows .... it was over 3 (yes THREE) months ago that the first mass attack happened, and before that there was a steady stream, dropping a somewhat hefty clue as to what was coming ....

You really do need to sack off that pathetic Immediate Media company that purport to be able to do this sort of thing ... its embarrassing now !

• Options
    Bruce C wrote (see)
    Alison Hamlett wrote (see)

Thanks for your patience

Alison

image .... this is the poor show of poorest shows .... it was over 3 (yes THREE) months ago that the first mass attack happened, and before that there was a steady stream, dropping a somewhat hefty clue as to what was coming ....

You really do need to sack off that pathetic Immediate Media company that purport to be able to do this sort of thing ... its embarrassing now !

1) You know that this is an entirely free service don't you ?

2) Now look up 'get a grip' and well get one !

• Options

If you dont like go to Fetch........oh wait image

• Options

mr Andy, my profuse apologies if my wanton ranting has offended your blueness ... (we're planning a little soiree down to old Londinium town shortly should you wish to engage in some mindless offence-driven' rioting and murder-ering )

The reason for my harsh words is basically I dislike poor service, especially when the provider of that service (be it free or paid it makes no difference) professes to 'value highly' the service they provide, couple this with the fact that I do actually know just a bit about how to fix it, then you may possibly be able to understand my frustration. 

I do hope my words haven't soured your Runners World forum experience.

As for getting a grip, I already have a grip, in fact I have lots of grips ... would you like to buy one?

@####

• Options

image got to agree with Bruce this isnt a free lunch RW make money from this site so as its "customer" why cant we ask for a service thats not crap? 

• Options

Paid-for or not, the forum is as I write once again swamped by spam and unusable. I only visit a couple of other forms but neither suffers from this problem.

RW need to decide whether they want a website without a forum or a website with one. At the moment it's a kind of halfway house.

Pity. This used to be a really great place.

• Options
    It's clear that there's absolutely no anti-spam measures beyond the goodwill of a few moderators. Just blue another 30 minutes learnt stuff down.