Options

what is a good time for 5k?

13»

Comments

• Options
    You're never too old to start running!

Who cares if you're old, fast, slow, hermaphrodite, are half human/half bug.

Put your shoes on, get out there and enjoy your life.

It makes you feel good, keeps you healthy and you *worry* about what other people think of you because of your age?

Stuff 'em! I'm 33 and I don't give a toss what people think of me, so why should you worry?
  • Options
    I have so, so many questions. I started running at the beginning of Jan 2006 in order to get fit and lose weight. I love it and for the first time in my life have found a sport I don't want to stop doing! I decided that I needed a focus however, therefore enroled to do the Race for Life in Edinburgh at the beginning of June. Now I have been running for just over 3 months. The best time I have is 4 miles (hill and woodland) in 47 minutes, and that was with about 5 walking breaks of a minute each. I suppose what I would like to know is whether I am progressing too slowly? It feels like when I am running I am really pushing myself, but then I get home and feel dissappointed that I wasn't able to run for longer. There is a running group where I live but you are basically only allowed to join if you can run continuously for 30 minutes. On yes, some vital information - I am 30, have a BMI of 31 and am about 3 stone overweight, but dropping dress sizes like crazy. Can anyone give me any advice?
  • Options
    Dizzy I dont post often but thought you deserved an answer! Your 4 mile time with walking breaks is totally nothing to be ashamed about, in fact for someone just starting out on a hilly course it is quite good! As for the running groups who ask that you run for 30 mins without stopping forget about them and try and link up with a jog scotland network try http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/ for a group near you, if you are in Edinburgh i am sure you will have easy access to one. Joining with others will help you in many ways im sure you will enjot you will not be the slowest!! Good luck and stick at it
  • Options
    <a href="www.jogscotland.org.uk">Clicky</a>
  • Options
    Hi there
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'll def. try JogScotland.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!

This thread seems to fit with where I am at.

I am 21 and always loathed running as a kid, seriously I could not complete the 800m track race without a walking break.

Whilst at Uni I discovered the Gym and trained with the swim club too, at the end of term I didn't want to lose my fitness and gave this jogging lark a shot...to my surprise it wasn't difficult to run non-stop outside anymore (the only thing that protested was my ankles and knees a bit on the pavement until I built up strength).

I'm going to run the Hydra Active Women's Challenge in September, and from what I have read aiming for a sub-30 minute time doesn't seem too unrealistic, I have found a running club near where I will be working for the summer so I am hoping to train with them, am going to go along and see if I can keep up anyway.

Just joined this thread for some motivation really because it's great to see people of all abilities and stages of their running careers together.

Sure I will be back with more questions!

Erika
  • Options
    Crikey, 5k in less than 20 mins.... tomorrow is my first race and as well as just hoping to get there on time, park safely and eventually get around the course , im hoping for sub 30mins. this is my first of 3 races - 5k longsight, 10k harrogate 17/9 and then the big ine 20k+ half marathon fir the great north run. only upto a 4 mile run at pres doing 4 mins run the 4 mins walk - still unfit and struggling to get to 70% heart rate , seems to be 95% plus each time ... anyway i'll et you know how i get on tomorrow!!
  • Options
    well i did it, got there in plenty of time, didnt get lost, parked up close by and completed it coming in 10th place out of about 50. my time was 28:32, under ny 30mins limit so im well chuffed.
    my achilles is niggling abit, so ive missed my run this morning to rest it - hopefully later in the day it will ease up.
    ive got the bug though and im hoping to do another couple of 5ks - alexandra park in manchester and the ryder run in bamberbridge before the 10k on 17/9 which according to the threads looks to have a nasty incline in it.... urgghhh!
    my heart rate was ridiculous i looked at it mid way thru and it was 103% of what someone my age (36) should be - terribly unfit - average heart rate was a staggering 155!! must lay of the beer!!! these sunday runs should help as i wont go out saturday night ... but being the beer loving socialite - ive managed to organise a friday night out or two.....
    i also have another dilema my sons football matches are also on sunday mornings!! blast - it means i either run/race or watch my son.... but if im serious about the GNR i need to get these races under my belt.... ultimate aim is the London marathon 2007 - application is in for a ballot entry - fingers crossed.....
  • Options
    Simon
    forget the formula for estimating HR-it can be wildly inaccurate
    I do easy runs at 150, and im 41
    my max is well over 200

well done in the 5k
  • Options
    did the alexandra park 5k today - took it easy at the start and ended up witha much better time than last week , 27:31 today very respectable and below my target of 30mins. winning time was incredible at 15:30 the guy who won it lapped me as though i was stood still!! registered for the Sue ryder 5k in bamberbridge next week and then stepping up to 10k in harrogate the week after..... also entered the tatton park cancer research 10k on the 24/9 in prep for the big one on the 1/10/06 the GNR - hoping to get around safely and uninjured in a time of <2hours....
  • Options
    just done a the 5k antrobus cabbage canter in Northwich in 31:01 I have run 29:28 and also did the hoylake 10k earlier in the month I did that in 67:07 I started running in June this year but mostly do my training at night after I have finished work I dont as you can gather have a physical job and I am usually fueled and hydrated so I can run a 5k no problems without needing to walk I even did a 8k 1 noght without stopping but when it comes to doing a run at midday which is the norm for road races I find the going really hard I get really tired after about 3k and usually end up walking for 30 sec running for a coulpe of mins to the end of the race but I know I can run 8k without stopping I also get a really dry mouth aswell which I dont normally get when I am training has anybody got any ideas as to where I am going wrong any help would be much apreciated thanks in anticipation

Alan