Officially unemployed

Meeting has been and gone. I pre-empted them by giving back my access cards before anything had been said and we had the meeting.

I am officially redundant, well my job is, not me. I am ok though. Having had a long chat with a good friend, my mum and my ex and now having a cup of tea, I'll be ok. Meetings with agencies later this week and onwards and upwards.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for being so supportive and kind and gentle with me when I really needed it - you have been fab.

xxx

Comments

• Ah balls, sorry to hear that Duck.  As many people said on the other thread, they've experienced redundancy and ended up getting better / more enjoyable jobs than they had before.  So fingers crossed this will be exactly what happens to you.  Obviously it is still hellish, but it sounds like you were resolved to it a little, and have plans on moving forward, which is great.  Chin up, chest out and keep positive xxx

• Yeah... Think of the training you can do now.....

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that it went like that, although you do appear to have been expecting it to go that way.

Take stock decide what you want to do and go chasing the dream!!!

• Sorry to hear that.

It might be worth noting down how the process went and checking that they have followed the proper process, you have a right to be treated properly. It may well be the case, that they have done it fairly, but it is worth checking anyway.

Best of luck.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Yeah... Think of the training you can do now.....

This is everything that i'd want to say image

• I had a great 6 months out of work last year...

Didn't miss a single day of watching the Tour De France, or the Giro D'Italia on TV (Well except for the days I was actually in France for the TdF)

Trained everyday and lost half a stone....

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Don't take whatever they have offered you as their final offer.

Get some advice - employers don't always know what they are obliged by law to pay you if you are made redundant (or some do, but will try and pull the wool over your eyes).

Don't sign any sort of agreement without legal advice, and your employer should pay for the legal advice if they want you to sign a compromise agreement.

• Sorry to hear that but like you said a onwards and upwards and a chance to take a breather and take stock

• Aw Mima, really sorry it went that way chuck. But as the others have said, time to take stock and decide what you want to do now.....the world is your lobster! image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Yeah... Think of the training you can do now.....

This is everything that i'd want to say image

+1

It's onward and upward now.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Don't take whatever they have offered you as their final offer.

Get some advice - employers don't always know what they are obliged by law to pay you if you are made redundant (or some do, but will try and pull the wool over your eyes).

Don't sign any sort of agreement without legal advice, and your employer should pay for the legal advice if they want you to sign a compromise agreement.

Wilkie makes a good point. Make sure that you get advice about what you're entitled to. A friend of mine was made redundent and because the company didnt do what they should have done legally he got 8 months full pay redudancy.

• Oh you lot are lovely!

I've spoken to a solicitor earlier in the proceedings - from what he said they have done pretty much everything they should have done from a legal perspective.

The letter I have lays out the T&C's which seem pretty standard. Instead of making me work my notice they are paying me a full month (without tax and NI) plus the stat redundancy. I also get the holiday I've not taken and I get paid for the last 4 weeks I've been on leave for.

I've not been asked to sign anything, but I'm not sure I have any grounds to challenge the end result.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Try asking for your ACTUAL week's pay rather than the statutory week's pay (assuming it would be more!).

Employers will often give a better package in exchange for a signed compromise agreement - where you agree that it's in full and final settlement of all and any claims against the company.

Otherwise, you have the right to challenge your selection for redundancy - why were you chosen over others?  They won't want to be dealing with a claim at an Employment Tribunal for unfair selection (could be gender, race, age, or any of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act), so might stump up a bit more.

Also, was proper consultation carried out?  The law requires employers to consult with either the trades unions representing the staff, or the staff themselves for a period of time before making people redundant.

You have nothing to lose by asking!

Also worth asking for an agreed reference, especially if you do end up with a compromise agreement.

• BB ✭✭✭
    Aw sorry to hear this Mima, I hope this change brings with it lots of exciting new possibilites for you xx

And take Wilkie's advice re getting as much as you can out of your employer, the more money you have, the more time to decide what you want to do next, good luck
  • I guess life isn't on hold any more while you wait beautiful duck. Time to think about what you want and make plans.

Redundancy sucks, but lump sums are nice and the chance to take stock and change your life may eventually become a good thing. 

Lots of love

• Thanks gorgeous!! I have just flung myself round my very short lap of the block and I managed my first sub 9 min mile! Hard and fast but I needed it.

• Good on you mimaduck. 

There will be good days and bad days, just take it as it comes and (when it comes) allow yourself to rage/cry/whatever you need.

I'd echo what everyone else has said about it being a good thing that happened to me in the long term, but by God I was/am angry.  And there's nothing wrong with that so long as you let it out and don't let it make you bitter.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you. My partner was made redundant. It sucks. But, life is full of ups and downs. And seeing as you have just had a 'down' it surely means you are about to have an 'up' .
  • I have suffocated the rage with 4 (yes 4) veggie fajitas, replete with grated cheese and rather a large dollop of sour cream. Yes, I eat when stressed and miserable.