Fell Running

Comments

• Matt - there seems to be quite a thriving Snropshire fell running scene over the Long Mynd (scene of the recent fell-running relay championships), Stiperstones etc - details on www.dawsy.freeserve.co.uk. One race I've always fancied is the Cardington Cracker in early December over Caer Caradoc, just outside Church Stretton - maybe this year I can finally make it.

Clent - I remember skiiing there with parents many years ago when it actually snowed in the winter - is there still an old-fashioned pub at the bottom?

Kinver - likewise that was where we all went for the after-Sunday-lunch walk - memories come back!
  • Laura L
    I did about half of the Kendal winter league last winter - really enjoyed it, in a very cold, wet, muddy "why in gods name am i doing this to myself" masochistic kind of way. I think it was organised by the Kendal AC, but checking on their website last week theres no mention of it for this year which would be a real shame as i ( and a couple of friends) were banking on it. I`m half way thru my degree at the mo, and a hurtle (slog) around in the mud every other sunday is, i reckon, the best way to clear the head for the week ahead. Is this the winter league you mentioned last post. If so, I`d really appreciate any info.
  • Andy-thanks for the website address, just had a look, nothing until Cardington Cracker which sounds interesting.
    The Hill Tavern is still at the bottom of Clent and has Budweiser on tap.
  • I have just started training for the West Highland Way race next June in bonnie Scotland 96 miles to be completed within 35 hours ! At the moment I am up to 16-17 miles per week for my long runs, with 2-3 runs per week of 5-7 miles. Probs I have had so far are bruised toes and also a stabbing pain in between my 3rd-4th toes on my right foot after the first hour which seems to go away into the second hour, either that or I am too knackered to notice !!! Shoes fit well Saucony Grid onmi 3 which were recommended by Run and Become. I need advice and tips on ultra running and nutrition pleeeeeze
  • Crunchy kneecaps, by coincidence I just looked at Kendal ac website tonight to get details of this year's winter league but as you say there are none as yet. Well done for doing so many!
    I'll find out from the club coach and post any details; it may be too early in the season.

By the way, if you like getting wet and muddy in the winter, how about doing 'That's Lyth' in jan, 23 miles from Kendal, across to Whitbarrow, back over scout scar, which I am guessing you would know from the winter league last year?

Moor man,best wishes with your injury, hope there's quick progress.
  • Laura L,
    Thanks for the reply - I`ll keep an eye out for any posted details from yourself. The `Lyth` sounds interesting - depends on how much xmas pud im carrying over!
    Ive just done the Dunnerdale fell race over at Broughton today infact - superb, fast,(for others, but not for me !) and although short (5 miles) is a classic race in every way - thoroughly enjoyed it, and highly recommeded.
  • hi graeme... might want to start a new thread on that race.. you got a link to a website for it ?
  • Crunchy, congrats on the Dunnerdale, glad you enjoyed it so much. It's the only 'proper' fell race I've ever done, last year, never knew fell running could hurt so much! I thought I had done well to get around in 60 mins, then realised I was one of the last back. Recall getting stuck in a bog up to my thigh and being pulled out by friendly fellow competitor who had been my nemesis just a few seconds previously.

Also remember thinking what a bargain day out; great route, friendly atmosphere, huge plate of pie & tea afterwards.

• Ed, The link for the west highland way race as far as I can see is www.westhighlandwayrace.org .I am new to this site and dont know how to start a new thread though !

Ta

Graeme aka Yentz Boogman !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laura L, cheers for the reply - yep - i think i know that bog equally intimately (had to dig my shoe out with my hand before plodding on ) - i`m beginning to think that the bog is getting rented out, cos somehow, wherever im running, i manage to find the damn thing - it always looks the same ( ie - wet and a bit boggy, but not too bad, i should be able to skip, lithely over it, elf-like), and it always seems to plunge me up to above the knee, gripping me like a vice until im fully flailed like some three pointed star in the mud. Does wonders for the ego when the 65 yr vet (who has just skipped lithely, elf-like over the damn thing) helps to drag me out before i sink without trace.
    By the way, whilst checking out Uk results calender for next year has the full list of kendal winter league dates starting, from what i can see at scout scar on jan 4, till mid april. http://www.ukresults.net/2004cal.html
    Maybe catch you there, you`ll be able to find me, cos i`ll be at the back, with mud up to knee on one leg, with a shoe missing !
  • Lol crunchy, so that's the mystery of the bog solved! I know just what you mean about those nimble 65 yrs olds, how dare they be so fit when they should be tucked up in front of the fire instead of putting us to shame?
    Winter league noted, ran Scout scar from my house Sun; let's make a deal to pull each other out of any bog the organisers put there (PS I'll make a point of tripping up any over 60's runner too, don't tell anyone.)

Ever run kentmere horseshoe? There's some great bog potential as well as fantastic ridge running once you've gained the ascent.
  • Hi, Laura - youve got a deal - bog and swamp extraction a speciality - I`ll keep an eye out for you :) and as for the over 60`s - i`m with you on that, if i could just catch up with them first to trip them !
    In a previous, and altogether more sensible life i walked the kentmere horseshoe a couple of times (and, if my memory serves me right, felt rather pleased with myself at the time - oh what innocence !) It is an excellent round, though it is very up, and down !! Infact i reckon theres not many, if any rounds that i can think of that takes you up, and then breaks your heart by dropping you down again, before dragging you back up again. It makes Fairfield a walk in the park. Is there a horsehoe race, or are you going to tell me that you knock it of most sundays before breakfast, just to intimidate me ?
  • Just to keep the thread alive....

Had an excellent 3hr run over the Brecon Beacons last Saturday (on Friday the wind chill had apparently been -12, so we got our weather window just right.) Six of us from my Club, all faster than me so I brought up the rear on the climbs, but as only two of us had fell shoes I was well away on the downs. We did a circuit of the northern ridges - lots of walkers / army types with huge packs (what do they all carry?) on the summits but not a soul on the way out and back. Back to the car for 1pm, a welcome beer or two, and home for 3.30pm to ensure domestic harmony.

A quality run - the non-fellrunners amongst us had a great time, so this sort of outing should be a more regular session in future.

Now off to N Wales for brief week-end break - hope to get at least one run in (weather, family and rugby permitting).
  • Andy

Next time you are going to run over the Beacons let me know and I will try and join you if you don't mind. That is my part of the world.

On another subject, anyone here tried the Manx Mountain Marathon in the past, fancy having a go next year.

Richard
  • Hi Richard, I did the manx this year. I'd highly recommend it. We had great weather and some of the views from the tops are superb. It's certainly not easy and the cut-offs are quite strict but it's well worth doing. Obviously you live in the right part of the country to get some decent training in. The thing I noticed most was that all the local runners had their wives/hubbys etc all over the course with food and drinks so they didn't have to carry too much gear for running, so some sort of back-up is helpful. You get well looked after at the end and there's a good presentation in the evening. We stayed in Port Erin which was lovely and is also the finish. I did suffer on the ferry home though with all the steps!
  • Richard

I'd forgotten that you were in that part of the world - I'll put a call out next time. We had a great run from Llanfrynach, but there was about 3m of road on the return to totally fry the legs!
  • Crunchy, you're right about Kentmere being very up and down, I'd never thought of it like that but then every time I go up Fairfield the gods decree the weather's atrocious so I think of it as harder than Kentmere. There is a horsehoe race, in the summer, I've never done it though. I usually run it twice before work, most days actually. :) I don't want to spoil my illusion that is my version of 'running' the horseshoe by entering a fell race where people do it in half the time.

Off to check the weekend forecast now, have negotiated Sun am for fell run, if the gods are willing.

• Laura, Good luck for your run this morning - the weather looks ok this end of south lakes - i`m jealous, I had planned to do the Kirby moor fell race yesterday but im full of cold, and my knee is moaning again about the changing tempature and has already started industrial action ( ie- hurts when i ask it to do anything more than climb up stairs!) Have a good one for me, and tell me how it went.
    p.s - I reckon people who race in half the time only get half the enjoyment - the candle that burns twice as bright only burns for half as long - whats more i reckon they cheat !
  • I like your candle analogy crunchy, best wishes with your patellar industrial action. Hope your cold clears up quickly, most runners react to illness with the maturity of cross toddler in pram!

Actually blew my plans by oversleeping since my window of opportunity required me to leave the house at 7.45 am. Had planned to do Fairfield horseshoe after you'd reminded me of it, but needed the sleep and still had nice local off road run with enough hillwork to send hr shooting through the roof. Got Fri off for fell running next week so can't moan.

Heard from guy at the club re winter league starting, it's in my diary for 4th Jan. :)
  • Laura - I`m afraid your right about illness + runners. Its even worse of course if you`re a male. I reckon men dont have the right genetic engineering for being ill - apparantly the acute pnemonia and brain heammorage (?)that left me touch and go mid week, according to the doctor was only a slight sniffle -what do they know anyway.....? And as for my knee !! - i went for walk with the dog this afternoon - the other knee is, in the spirit of solidarity, talking about secondary industrial action - i`m going to have to get arbitration ! The upshot is that with the maturity of that toddler in pram, i dont have toys in it at all - they`ve all been thrown out long ago - infact i reckon i used to hold the UK long distance dummy spitting record ! Ive grown up a lot since then - just cut my nose off these days !
    Enjoy run on friday - Hope to be out and about by then myself (If my knees arent towing the party line by then, i`ll sack them) and i`ve got scout scar for 4th in my book as well. Have committed myself to Ulverston 10k in a fortnight - i beat my friends time in summer and he`s out for revenge ! Oh happy days :)
  • Heres a question then at what point does a cross country race become a fell race or vice versa??

whats the defining difference between the two ?

I see the Mendip muddle is mentioned on this thread - I always thought that was a Xcountry race (albeit a very good one).

Haytor Heller, Ivybridge beacon challenge I always thought were fell races as they pulled you up and down the sides of steep tors and were exclusively run on the moor. Yet they are marketed as cross country races.

Would you class the 15M and stupidly hilly Exmoor Stagger as a Fell race? or is that cross country because it has a couple of small road and track sections in it?

• Jason - Its a good question though i`m probably not going to give a particularly pc answer, but i dont reckon theres any real difference. I reckon it basically comes down to a bit of snobbery. I enjoy running - except on the road - the main reasons apart from sharing the road with cars, exhaust fumes, kerbs and everything else that goes with them, is in my name. My knees cant cope with it. However the main reason why is about getting out and away from all that i have to deal with all day, and getting out in the elements is, for me the best stress buster i know. It doesnt really matter if its up fells, or over dales. They are both good medicine for hearts and minds. I reckon it is the same for most people. I think that there should be only two types of running - on road, and off road. (not inc track running etc) To make a distinction between x-country and fell potentially robs people of trying and enjoying both by the inverted snobbery that suggests that one is in some way better than the other. For me, i get back home covered in mud with a stupid grin on my face whethers its on the up, or on the flat....so long as its off the road......!
  • Jason

Fell races are run under the auspices of the FRA. X country races are run under different rules normally local AAA.

FRA rules are subtly different in that there are some safety requirements for most Fell races. This generally involves carrying certain equipment (map whistle compass and waterproof) and reporting retirements to the start point (to prevent unecessary searches). Navigational skills are also required in some (but not all) races.

The FRA also grades races according to off road distance and ascent.

I'd agree that there sometimes doesn't seem to be much difference, I'd disagree that there's any snobbery around Fell races. My experience is that Fell runners are one of the friendliest most inclusive groups you'd hope to meet. Its true that there are pre-entry condtions for some of the monster races, but this is generally purely on the grounds of safety. At the vast majority of events you'll find the "Stars" rubbing shoulders with the rabbits - no elite starts !!

One other important difference - well I think its important. 99.9% of fell races start and finish at a pub !!
  • It's probably fair to say that a fell race should include areas of open country (the Mendip Muddle has a few miles over the open tops of the Mendips)and have minimal road in it, whereas someting like the Sodbury Slog which is a multi-terrain race is run on footpaths, over fields etc, with varying degrees of road involved (too much at the SodSlog in my opinion).

I'd certainly join FR in disagreeing about any snobbery - what a friendly bunch!

CK - looks like you and I both run for pretty much the same reasons - in Bath there aren't many fells to run over (in fact - none) but the mud cover and grin is still a must!

• arent fell races defined by the elevation in the race?

i thought you had different categories (A,B,C) which a race fell into depending on how much climbing the old legs had to do
  • Caspar,

I was wondering that when I was filling out the entry form for the Round Rotherham - it lists it on the form as a "Category C long distance fell race"

I wonder what end of the scale C is? does that mean its not very hilly or it is very hilly?
  • "All fell races are given a grade indicating length and difficulty. Difficulty is indicated by; A, no less than 250 feet climb per mile, not more than 20% on roads, at least 1 mile in length; B, not less than 125 feet climb per mile, not more than 30% on roads; C, not less than 100 feet of climb per mile, not more than 40% on roads and contain genuine fell terrain. . Length is indicated by: L, 12 miles or more; M, 6 miles and over but less than 12 miles; S, under 6 miles."

From the FRA web site
  • Thats average climb/mile.

And remember on a circular route what goes up must come down....

• Jason x

whilst there may not be many steep hills (by fell running standards), we better not discount the fact that RR is going to be 50 miles in the middle of december - very very cold

better take some ear muffs!
  • A write-up of our recent exploits over the Brecon Beacons, written by one of our party for the Club newsletter and hopefully of interest to others......

Our route was from Llanfrynach, on the other side of the Beacons - much
    quieter!

After two days of high winds and rain, we were relieved to find a break in
    the weather and be able to continue with our planned ascent. At 10am the
    group, which included Tom Hutchinson, Jim Beales, Jo Thompson, Mark Benham,
    Andy Mullet and Dan Booth, set off from Llanfrynach, (130m above sea level).

With virtually no wind, it was a pleasant first few miles along the edge of
    the river trail and across a few fields before beginning the first steep
    climb up to the Cefn Cyff ridge. This ascends steadily and provides the
    first decent views of Pen y Fan. It wasn't long before one or two soon
    discarded layers of clothing.

Jo and Dan led the way as we began to get a little strung out, but a few
    regroups soon brought us back together. Reaching Fan y Big summit at 719m
    we caught our breath and put out the first real fire in our muscles. It was
    also a chance to admire the spectacular views of classic glacial cirques.

Onward, we scampered down to the Bwich ar y Fan saddle at 599m (Andy and
    Dan's fell running experience was evident as they scampered quicker than the
    rest). I was beginning to make the most of my new off road shoes and the
    superb grip they provided - Jo later admitted that the lack of grip on her
    shoes were a reason to take the descents with caution - she sure up for it
    on the climbs though!

As expected the Army were out in numbers, putting recruits through their
    paces. They looked at as in bemusement, as did the walkers we saw along the
    way - Oh to be a runner!

From the saddle the climb to Cribyn took us back up to 795m where we
    regrouped again and got a cheesy photo. We didn't hang about though as it
    was a bit nippy and we were soon off again, this time descending to about
    665m before the final climb to Pen y Fan. Jim and I were beginning to suffer
    a little from blisters, but Doctor Hutchinson came to the rescue with
    plasters.

Anyone who's climbed Pen y Fan knows how popular it can be - infact I once
    saw so many people up there that it reminded me of a car boot sale!
    Horrible!! I guess it wasn't too bad on the day considering. After one more
    group photo it was all down. Andy and Dan were off!

The next two miles were great fun and easy after the climb as we hurtled
    down and made our way back to Llanfrynach along three miles of flatish
    country lanes. By this time Jim's consumption of a bottle of wine the night
    before had kicked in.

We rounded off a superb day with a few beers. Must do it again!