Running with music

Comments

• Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Where is Alresford by the wayimage

Try looking it up on a map.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

image Mr Forde!

Out of interest, what time for 10k would count as "racing" in your book then?

I know can you believe I said that?

Cat amongst pigeons! Can of worms! Hand grenade into an orphanage!

Looked up Alresford and they have puppets!

• Oh dear god im meant to be meeting friends down the old Dog and Highway Digger in Cheapside so why am i discussing this?image

Come on Dawny F40 what have you got to say?

Bye bye play nice.

• Stephen E Forde wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

image Mr Forde!

Out of interest, what time for 10k would count as "racing" in your book then?

I know can you believe I said that?

Cat amongst pigeons! Can of worms! Hand grenade into an orphanage!

Looked up Alresford and they have puppets!

No they don't - wrong Alresford.image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    What puzzles me about running to music is: How do you find so many tunes with the right tempo? I run at a fairly constant tempo of 87-90. As a musician it would be impossible for me to run at a different tempo to the music I was listening to.
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Tim - techno techno techno. All the way. Unless it is a very long run, then it is some Brazilian or other south American music.

I was running round st James park not so long ago, with my iPad (techno blaring) and had a police officer run after me and tell me off saying 'that's what happens when you lose one of your senses'. I think I was about to run into an area they (unreasonably, it's my running route damn it) closed off for some royal thing or other.

I would never run a race with an iPod. I like to soak up the atmosphere and be aware of those around me.
  • Yeah cos all Brazilian music is at the same tempo. That's so ...Brazilianist!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tim, doing an easy paced run, it doesn't matter what style of music is on at all.  You're basically plodding around not taxing yourself, racking up the time on feet.

Doing a race needs concentration to keep the right pace though, and random music would only distract.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I nearly always have a tune in my head while running. For some reason at the moment its 'to the moon & back' Savage Garden, I did a race at Parliment Hill with 'you'll never be a women' White town, tuning over a few times. On the other hand, a group of my clubmates went to France to run a 20k race and the lead vehicle had  the 'Lambarda'  playing on a constant loop. One of our number won that race in 63 mins and was driven round the bend by it. At the finish he just kept going until he couldn't hear it any more.

🙂

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

On the other hand, a group of my clubmates went to France to run a 20k race and the lead vehicle had  the 'Lambarda'  playing on a constant loop.

Jesus Christ.  I think I would've been screaming for my iPod.

• the arguements will still be the same..but in the end it doesn't matter if ipods cause the runners not to hear instructions or not.............

the facts are if the organisers say no headphones then respect the rules..........same as if you can not take your dog...............if the organisers say yes then thats fine but still act responsibly as should all runners.........

if in doubt contact the organisers befreo the race and check........i can understand people training with headphones...........i can not understand people racing with them or people turning up to running clubs wearing them....it kind of misses the point to me.............but again if the race allows them then thats fine with me

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to know if there is any stipulation from the insurance companies. Maybe they decide if x% of a race is on open road then a rider must be put in the rules.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I did a race yesterday that has a Scots bagpiper in full regalia at a strategic point on the course.

Every event should have one. Who needs iPods?

(Oh, and to Dawn the OP: your first post is an impassioned rant on a highly controversial subject that has been done to death many times. But welcome to the forum.)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seren, just out of interest what are your thoughts on running with a dog WHILST listening to an ipod? Maybe running triple abreast with some slowbies at the same time?

Ric, i feel a bit rude now. I knew you were about 57 or so, and presumed Perry Como and Frank Sinitra would be your cup of tea. Those choices are fairly groovy...well, if we were in the mid 90s...

Tunes in your head is a bit cheap though..just get the headphones on! To my discredit, I did a whole 6miles at MP session listening to a Basshunter track once image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I don't go out of my way for such stuff, its just some s..t that crops up on Utube.

On the subject of musical taste, the idea of Como and Sin making noises would have me jumping out of the nearest window. Funny thing is, I went to do a job at some guys house and he was enjoying something or someone called Dizzy Rascal on MTV very loudly. And he was 86 years old.

🙂

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Is Dawn going to reply to the thread?

For me, if the organisers say no ipods then it's no ipods/music allowed. I agree it can sometimes help on long training runs but i've seen runners completely ignore instructions and endanger themselves and other runners by wearing their ipod.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't be silly Emmy...it was a classic rant job to get it off the system....if she did come back she'd be shocked by all these replies.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    iPods banned at this mornings race.

3 iPod wearers cut me up.

Surprised 2 iPod wearers when I overtook them despite trying to overtake for several hundred meters while they were obliviously weaving side to side. Dancing to the music maybe?

Just got on with it and ran.

Mind you a few people cut me up avoiding getting their white trainers muddy. At least they knew they were doing it and said sorry. Maybe white trainers should be banned on trail races.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love it Timbo.

I used to pride myself on never having been beaten by someone wearing headphones in a race, then a chap in a XC ruined my record this year.

Wearing headphones in a xc seems even more mental, as you often have some really dodgy terrain, and surely need maximum concentration. And they're only generally 5 1/2miles or so!

Did beat him later in the series though...so there image

• This radio programme was on Radio 4 not long ago. Unfortunately its not for listen again. Probably because of all the copyrighted music on itimage

• TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I never run with headphones/music/podcasts.  Mostly it doesn't bother me when other people do, except when I've stood for ages in pelting rain and gale force winds waiting for friends or strangers to come past so that I can cheer them on, only to find that they can't hear me because their music's so loud....now that does piss me off.  Also people who run with headphones for a 5K race/parkrun.....why??, it's 3 miles, for God's sake.

• Although I don't listen to music when running (or swimming) I used to on the bike until I noticed that some car drivers are terrible at overtaking/giving enough space. My volume was always low enough to hear cars,hear timing prompts and hear my mate talk but the extra awareness is worth a lot more to me than bangin' choons.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

now headphones on a bike is just plain reckless....

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

now headphones on a bike is just plain reckless....

It really is. Listening to music won't stop a drunk/idiotic/spiteful driver rear-ending you,but may well prevent enough warning to move out of the way or bail.

I

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    So is listening to Basshunter for 6 miles, no matter how quick you are !!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it was a good song also-ran image

• I train with music, and generally race without, but occasionally will use headphones on a closed road race - mainly to get split times from Runkeeper.

Yesterday, though, I started the "We Love Manchester" 10K to Florence and the Machine and 'Dog Days are Over" - with the refrain "Run fast for your mother and fast for your father; run for your children for your sisters and brothers", and finished with The Doors "The end".

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

What I would like to do is train for the final 6 miles of the marathon. I want to maintain marathon pace in a training run whilst phychologically simulating tiredness / dull senses

Can anyone suggest any depressing, low key, low beat music to run to. Tried a lot of smiths, bob dylan etc but just don't get that drained feeling I'm after . Sorry, this is turning into a thread hijack.

• To answer the OP, aswell as the health and safety issue. I'd also say the other reason that ipods should be banned from races is that it is rude to wear them in company!

I'll put the Alresford 10k down on my list of possible races - I positively choose races because they ban ipods, so that should make up for them losing your custom next year.