Running with music

Comments

• TimR, thanks for that.  I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding pacing devices, though.  I mean, we're not talking about World Class athletes.  You did worry me, though, as I've never seen anything actually at any races about pacing devices.  Thank goodness I can keep using my Garmin!  image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    The point is, it's a race, everyone should be abiding by the rules, whatever the reason for them, and have the same advantages/disadvantages on the day.

We have categories for m/f and ages, maybe we should have categories for motivated by music or assisted by GPS?
  • But if you take part in mass participation events then sometimes you can be in a race with intenational athletes. Would you expect a two tier set of rules?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Also-ran, if you ever get chased by a police dog, DO NOT jump over a barrier, crawl through a tunnel, run over a see-saw or jump through a flaming hoop. Cos they train the dogs for that, see.

• I don't know where you would draw the line, though.  Some women are faster than some men, so is that split fair?  Some shoes are lighter than others.  Is that an advantage/disadvantage?  People with, say, asthma can be at a serious disadvantage.  Should they have their own class?  I know this is going slightly OT but when you get any mass participation event, you will never get a level playing field.

To get back On Topic, personally I don't care if people (or dogs!) use MP3 players or not, although I can understand and accept that if the rules of a particular race say no, then no it is.  Again, personally, I train with an MP3 player (although it's always on low and i only ever use one ear phone) but I never race with one, even if the race permits them.  And I certainly wouldn't see them as giving someone an advantage over me.  If I don't do my best then I haven't trained well enough.  I certainly wouldn't want to try to pass the blame onto someone else  image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Rules are there to try to make the field as level as possible and to make sure everyone has a safe race.

It's all well and good saying I'm an adult and I can look after myself but the organisers will have walked the course and identified the hazards.

2 weeks ago part of the race was round an airbase. We were warned about the razor wire. Which I thought at the time was a bit unnecessary, until you think about running in a large group, the first spots it and dodges but the runners behind all pile into it. Resulting in serious injury. It's not like running into a bollard or tripping over a road hump. All of which I saw on Sunday from iPod wearers and non-iPod wearers.

Racing in a group is not the same a running round the park on your own.
  • I am not a fan of Running with Music. Being a traditionalist I prefer a good read. Just the other weekend I read Ulysses while running beside the Thames (Finnegans Wake might have been more suitable but I am a bit of a maverick). Tomorrow I plan to peruse 'No Country for Old Men' as I jog through a selection of seaside towns on the south coast.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    ET7 wrote (see)
    why on earth put your name on your running vest

Unless your name is Ron Hill, or Adi Dassler then why on earth would you have your name on your vest? What do you think this is? Property of ET7, Class 3B?

• You sound really stressed by this, TimR.  I'm not arguing with you but I do disagree with the point that a few rules will make a level playing field.  They will, however, have an effect on H&S  image  And, I for one, am happy to accept them, as I said before  image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I 'sound' stressed? Lol. No not at all. Just pointing out reasons why not being able to hear a marshall is bad. I'm an adult and can make my own discussions, but I do like to have all the data available to make an informed decision.
  • You seem very very confused Polly. I think TimR might be stressed by your lack of ability to understand the term level playing field. I would have given up a long time ago.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    No, I wasn't particularly aiming my comments at you Polly. I would have named you if I was. There are just a lot if people who complain about Heath and Safety who don't know what they're talking about.
  • lol Sussex Runner.  I've been on here far too long to give up on such a mild thread!  image

I'm too involved in H&S to not understand it or be confused by it.  Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.  Most of the time it's used as a method to cover people's arses!  image

• I can tell the board is really boring at the moment - someone drags up a ipod thread just to get some emotions going.

Might be time for a 'All people who follow a run - walk strategy are w*****s' thread image

• I agree Simon , I think this topic has been done to death now (again)

...still interested in these fun runs whilst being chased by animals though - think it's got legs as a new type of multi-terrain event

"What type of animal would you pay money to be chased by ?"

(Plus what Distance / terrain / consequences?)       Discuss.

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

i'm pretty sure there's a race somewhere which puts you against a horse..maybe in Wales?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

There goes that speedy cat again.

"mmeeeeeeeeooOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!"

• I'm sure there are some areas where you'd only have to do a normal training run but still run the risk of being chased by a few apes! image

• Do you mean Race the Train?
  • Man put against Horse??
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Apparently there is a debate in parkrun world about the legitimacy of course records set by CaniX runners.  Unless and until they ban CaniX participants from parkruns I would like to borrow 2 (fit, well-behaved) huskies every Saturday morning from 8.55am until about 9.20am.  Hopefully we can alter the return time to about 9.17am in the fullness of time image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Jools, while you're at it you should change your running shoes as well.  These would be very husky-friendly, and I'm pretty sure they come in your size.  imageimage

http://stevelitchfield.com/heelys/pinkrebel.jpg

• PhilPub - are these available for over-pronators?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Might be time for a 'All people who follow a run - walk strategy are w*****s' thread image

they're not really walkers if they run some of the time.

• Has this thread really reached page 6 without any of the pro-iPod lobby bringing up the "Deaf runners" clause?

• baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

@sussex runner. i do really mean runners against horses -- and i was right, it was in wales,and it looks fun.  see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8732434.stm

as you can, indeed, also run against a train in wales, i wonder what this tells us about welsh running.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

eh, that'll be the "Man V Horse Race" then! Google it, it loks like fun....

Back to thread..

I train all the time with an MP3 player, except when I need to hear traffic, so am not against them per se.

Whilst I can appreciate that for anyone who is not used to running without music, the rule can be a pain, there are very sound (scuse the pun) reasons which have been done to death, but just to summarise and add my own thoughts, as someone who has been cut-up/obstucted/ignored by headphone wearing runners:

1. It's the rules! An ROs insurance may even be invalidated if there is an accident involving someone wearing headphones.

2. You DO NEED to be able to hear marshall's instructions - they are not all just saying "nearly there"!!

3. Most road races share the roads with traffic. Even at low volumes, you may not be as fully aware of the traffic as you should.  I have seen a headphone wearer hit by a push bike they did not hear.

4. You might not hear a runner coming up behind. To me, this is the most annoying one! It's not just about hearing them shout "excuse me old chap/chappess", but you should be able to hear their footsteps and breathing.

The most extreme example of the last one for me was the last of the 3 laps in the Luton Marathon. Having trained VERY hard to get GFA for London, I was obstructed a number of times in the last 2 miles by headphone wearing runners on their second lap along a narrow pavement oblivious to anything - we were all knackered, so not fully aware, and I definitely did not have the energy to shout! Several times it meant I had to jump into the road or risk slipping on grass to pass. The vast majority of runners who didn't wear headphones were happy enough to just keep to one side of the pavement when they heard me coming, and let me through. The headphone wearers seemed to be able to take up the whole pavement!

Grrrr!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

x-post baldbloke!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

image +1 to your number 4, Mr Bus.

• But what about deaf runners. Should they be allowed to wear i-pods since it wouldn't be any less safe?