Can I run well and still be overweight?

2»

Comments

• It really is good fun, and to be honest, the running took my mind off food for a bit and made eating not the main focus of my day, if you know what I mean?

I think you are doing great just to be making the small changes, and if we can keep anything up for long enough it soon seems perfectly natural. I never thought I would actually crave an apple instead of a Dairy Milk but it has finally happened, so there is hope for all of us!

I also use my kids for inspiration a lot - I keep thinking about the example I am setting for them and the memories they will have of me when they are older. It really spurs me on when I am starting to fade a bit.

• evening issy and all,

yes, drinking anything carbonated is not good for the body - co2 is what we produce as a WASTE product when we breathe out, so one could say we're drinking in toxins. so you're making your body process more toxins.

i am trying to get 'into' herbal teas, and do drink plain water alot, tho i admit to coke zero now and then too.

i have a personal theory that yes, one can get addicted to sugar, much like an alcoholic does with booze, tho maybe not as strongly. i dont drink alcohol  but as i mentioned before used to drink gallons of coke, which i needed to withdraw from.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Issy- somewhere I've seen a table of how many seconds per mile faster you'd be if you simply weighed less. According to this, you will limit your speed by carrying that extra weight. Having said that, I regularly get overtaken by some pretty large runners at 10k races,-I run somewhere near mid- pack, the front end of the race are all skinny, but you can get on to reasonable times even if you are overweight.

I started runnig more 4 years ago because of weight gain , and haven't really lost much, despite doing 8 marathons, but I DO eat more, and I definitely look slimmer, -a tape measure is a better way to keep a check, the scales are mostly irelevant.

Good luck.