Which Marathon?

Hi, it has always been a dream of mine to do a Marathon ( Heard someone say  that there is a book and a Marathon in everyone). If you planned on only doing one marathon in your life which one would you run? At the moment i am half thinking about signing up for one in 2013/2014, my picks are below:

1.   New York

2.   Paris

3. London

Am i missing out on any gems? i would love to be part of a really big field that takes part in a city that i will visit again and again. by the way i live in Ireland.

Comments

• Madrid..Berlin..Rome..

Name a major city and it will have one.

There's also hundreds of more low-key but superbly run marathons all over Europe, never mind the UK. You've got more chance of getting in to one of those and you may enjoy it just as much.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

If I could do any, I would look to do Boston (this one has qualifying times) as I love the city and the race has a good history behind it.

Or, if you want a memorable and tough course, then the Athens Classic Marathon would be on my list. Starting in the town of Marathon, and finishing in Panathinaiko Stadium in Athens. The real thing!

For me, I did a low key one first, less than 1,000 competitors, loads of support, fantastic rural scenery, not crammed like sardines in starting pens etc, fantastic organisation, easy transport / parking etc etc.

• If you click on the Events tab at the very top of the page there are a couple of articles on there - Top European Spring Marathons and 20 International Races to do before you die. Probably a good starting point.

Personally, I prefer small / medium events. I've just done my first marathon and that was only 42 competitors.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

if you are in Ireland, why not Dublin?

I guess it depends why you are running a marathon.  If its "to complete" a marathon you can save some money and do one locally as they are all 26.2 miles.  If its "to experience" a marathon then you can pick any big city one.  

I did a local one as it was a personal challenge for my 40th birthday, and was run only four days after my birthday so the timing was just right.  I have a place in next year's London Marathon (deferred from this year due to injury) and I know it will be a completely different experience. 

NB If you do a marathon, be warned you may discover an urge to do more!

• /members/images/673273/Gallery/003Witch.jpg

I love marathons with themes

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

So, how many people do you know have written a book?  I know a lot of people who are half thinking about writing one.

Pick a city.  Enter the marathon.  Train.  Race.

I used to spend hours making up revision plans for my exams.  You've just reminded me of it...

• i only planed to do one Marathon and that was the first ever running of Brighton in 2010 now 2 more later i did have a look at the California international marathon would love to run London and have heard good things about both Paris and Berlin and the Sydney marathon has taken my fancy

• I have never liked the bigger ones, although Brighton holds a certain amount of appeal because of the course itself. I am a half marathon runner, but now going to train to do a full marathon. I am going to do the Sussex Marathon next year which i did this year, on the 1st April, but only at half-marathon (you were given the choice) status. It was a good race, well organised, not too many people. Quite hilly, so a challenging one, but a very good one to do i feel. This will be the one i do next year even if i dont do anymore, and even if someone waved London in front of my face, i think i would still take Sussex.

There has been forums on here, about big races vs small races. But sometimes there are hidden gems out there, races, which never get on the TV, but are bloody good!!

• I think you know in yourself if you want a big or small marathon.  Small ones don't appeal to me - why train for 4 months to then go and do what will feel like another training run?  I know I'm probably wrong and so many do enjoy the low key marathons, but that's how it plays out in my head.  Good job there are races to suit all tastes.

• Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

I think you know in yourself if you want a big or small marathon.  Small ones don't appeal to me - why train for 4 months to then go and do what will feel like another training run?  I know I'm probably wrong and so many do enjoy the low key marathons, but that's how it plays out in my head.  Good job there are races to suit all tastes.

You have a point. I can see why you would feel that way about smaller ones. The bigger ones have more of an air of prestige, when talked about. Marathon's like Sussex, are more my flavour i guess since they are more personal, have more heart, and they make a lot of effort for a small event.

I would love to do Loch Ness Marathon though. That race looks amazing. Not a small race by any means, but maybe somewhere between a Sussex and a London.

Good point though BDB like i say...

• I've just read your thread about marathon entry GR - it's great you've gone for the right one for you.  Must admit, I'm tempted to have a go at maybe a smaller one next Spring with a big Autumn one later in the year.

• Beacyhead is awesome and they give you dinner at the endimage
  • I've been lucky enough to run Poole, London and Rome Marathons.

Poole isn't around any more unfortunately, London is great for crowds and sight-seeing, Rome for sight-seeing.

• For a one off the Preston Guild marathon, once every twenty years is enough to for me to do it this year. Miss it this year you don't get the opportunity to do it next year. Another one is the Chester marathon run in two countries.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Chester   doing this year    will be my 3rd there and 6 th full marathonimage