Overdone it?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Healthy rivalry aside, both of you are in a very good place at the moment.

Respectively, 40.59 on a hot and hilly course, and 41.19 after 5-6 weeks of pretty much building back up mileage after a niggle, and no sessions both promise a lot quicker imminently.

Both were fairly decent size pbs in themselves, but there's certainly a lot more to be had. I personally look forward to early September to see some more good results.

There's similarities in both target times and distances, but Skinny is able to concentrate 100% on the big A races, whereas with Litty we're trying to manage a lot of Club championship B races in as well.

Naturally if you're racing a lot, you're constantly having to prepare and recover, and thus losing out on sustained progressive training blocks.

However....we're in a good place for both image

• imageimage - good to see you posting Coach - hope your injury is improving.

Litty - I think what Coach is trying to say is don't be too disappointed when I smash you into the ground in early Septemberimage - at least you'll be able to go to your Club trophy room to console yourself!image

PS What is your best WAVA rating - that should even up age and sex? [I'm sure yours will be miles better than mine but just interested]

• I don't think that is exactly what he is trying to say, Skinny.

I don't believe in WAVA, but will have a look.

• http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

I think my best will be a 72.92% based on the 31:17 5 mile race.

None of you youngies believe in WAVA - I think its the running equivalent of a flat cap and gardening.

PS Despite my post above I'm not really bothered whether you are better than me or not - the best for me is that we both get better at the same rate and you stay slightly better than me but I've got lots of my own targets so any 'rivalry' with you is just a bit of fun.image

• Am I doing it wrong? I make it 74.37 for your 5 mile race. But I still win, with 76.57 for my, er, 4.9 mile race of a few weeks ago.

Reason I don't believe in WAVA isn't because I'm younger, more because each distance is based on a different standard, so e.g. it thinks my 10k time (74.1) is more impressive than my marathon time (72.82), even though it clearly isn't.

• Ahhh - I was doing it wrong - I was using distance drop down box instead of Road drop down box - yay - 74.37 - well happy - and would go up to nearly 75 if I could run same time now that I am a year older.

Your 76.57 is not as far ahead of me as I thought you would be - I think Run Britain must work on similar distance evaluations because they seem to overrate my 5k park runs against all my other running. I think Howard Grubb must not have been a fan of marathons!

PS Wow - you are young - you must have years of improvement left? Do you know at what age you should peak if you are male and female distance runners?

Obviously I'm past whatever the number it is and am battling against the tide but you might still be getting the double benefit of more training and a better age. How long have you been running for?

• I'm not that young. But I have been told the age you peak depends on when you started. I have been running for exactly 5 years, but entering and training for races for 2 years (as you will know from your PO10 stalking).

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

literatin - If you're after a fast flat local 10k, how about this one...

http://www.wilne.co.uk/site.html

It is claiming to be 'possibly the flattest 10k in the country', not sure how true that is but it sounds good to me.

Also £125 if you win...

• And the chance to be a multiple Counties champion over 10k.....

• Haha, I think that one is a bit better attended by actual fast runners. look at last year's results! I will be there though. image

• Looks like you'll be going sub 40 first thenimage

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Hmmm, hadn't looked at last year's results...you're right, the times are quick! Can't be many races where you have to run low 39mins to get in the top 100. 

Hopefully be a good race, although I've heard it can get a bit crowded at some points.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

People come from all over the country Skinny, including Barrow* so there's no excuse for you not to come down and have a proper smack down?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tommy, talking of quality 10k races, obviously the London Bupa 10k is high quality, being the English 10k champs and a field of 10,000, but check out Chichester in Feb.

You had to go sub 35 to get top 75! And only a field of 1,600.

Leeds is a top quality field too, but has a 6,000 or so field...

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Stevie - I've heard that Leeds is a high standard and a pretty flat course, was considering entering this yera myself until I saw this one. I suspect the Wilne 10k is probably most like Chichester event with the limit at 1,000. It's only the third year of running the event so maybe hasn't got the reputation of some other events like Chichester?

The area has got some good fast races now, the new Nottingham HM route is pretty flat and the revised full marathon route looks pretty flat. I did a 5 mile race a couple of weeks ago in Nottingham which was won by an Eritrean Olympic athlete who travelled down from Sunderland to take part as he'd heard the course was so fast, seems a long way to come for a 5 miler! 

• Tommy2D wrote (see)

People come from all over the country Skinny, including Barrow* so there's no excuse for you not to come down and have a proper smack down?!

Actually Tommy I'm on holiday for a few days with family near Blackpool so only about 2 hours away but that makes it a 4 hour trip and not probably what the rest of the family have planned. Leeds Abbey Dash would have had a lot more appeal - particularly if I miss sub 40 on 4th September but it is the day of my target 10miler - maybe next year........ (or I'm running scaredimage)

• Spoilsport. I think we should all do it.

Tommy, was that the Notts Riverbank 5? I couldn't do it because it was sandwiched between two of my other races and some people don't approve of racing every week. But might do it next year.

• Wilne, cos I've already entered.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Literatin - yeah was the Notts Riverbank 5, good event, will hopefully do it again next year. Much prefer 5 miles to 5K.

Skinny - I suspect the Barrow runners on the list are probably from Barrow-upon-Soar in Leicestershire not Barrow-in-Furness...

• Tommy2D wrote (see)

Skinny - I suspect the Barrow runners on the list are probably from Barrow-upon-Soar in Leicestershire not Barrow-in-Furness...

That would make a lot more sense. Although if you live in B-i-F then you have to travel a long way to get to anywhere worth going to!image

• Tommy2D wrote (see)

Literatin - yeah was the Notts Riverbank 5, good event, will hopefully do it again next year. Much prefer 5 miles to 5K. 

Had got that one down as a possible race, but went for the Newstead Dash a few days later instead. Was running the opposite way down the Trent that evening to lots of runners heading in the direction of the Embankment (I'd forgotten about the race, so couldn't work out why initially!) and was very glad I'd made the decision I had as that was a ridiculously hot and humid evening. How did you find it? Fortunately, it had cooled down by several degrees in time for the Newstead 5k.

• Richard - sounds brilliant - from my experience of Cross Bay last year try and go mental on the stretching exercises afterwards and accept you need a cut down week - after a week I was fine though and a 13 mile LSR felt like a walk in the park! 

Enjoy it and hope you get a good day weather wise.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob - Yeah it was very hot and humid but I didn't find it that bad, I know a few people did struggle though. I was going to do the Newstead Dash as its just up the road from me but work got in the way. How was it? Are you entering for the Wilne 10k?

Race the train sounds good fun, will keep an eye out for that next year.  

• Hi Richard - now you've given me a race time I'm able to go into full stalker mode!image

Wow - you've done a lot of racing this year already!

4*10k, 1*13.1k, 3*10m, 5*HM and 1*14 - is that personal choice or are you entering coz part of a club?

My adding up says 9 long races in less than 8 months and plus this weekend makes 10 (plus 5 shorter ones) - can't leave very long between each one for training?

Even Lit looks like she's only done 8 races so far this year and only two of those are long - although one was the VLM!

Having said that I'm probably too much the other way - only raced twice this year other than parkruns and longest has been 10k - once get this year finished and done with need to discuss with Coach (but it will wait till November).

PS Does the start coincide with a real train leaving and 'racing' you to the finish or is it simply a time based on how long a train took to make the journey?

• I'll have you know I also won the (non-PO10) Aston-on-Trent 10k. image

You race an actual train.

PS: I also have a race tonight. Not with a train though.

• Good luck in the race tonight - distance? course? weather forecast? time prediction?

Which is your thread of choice for your race report?