Overdone it?

Comments

• More tomorrow - knackered! But happy with this: -

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/553396399

Didn't get official result, but may come out at 10:36 or so, which would be a 26 second PB over a mark only set about 9 weeks ago, and was pleased with that at the time. Just over 3:30 km pace.

The team manager thinks it's likely I'll be needed for one of 800m/1500m/3000m at the League Cup Final at Stoke at the end of August too, which would be terrific. Will you be there, Dean?

• Blimey - 5:25 min/mile pace over ~2 miles (stuck in my imperialist ways). Do that on your next 5k, then hang on image 

Well in Bob image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done Bob. How many points did you get?

• That's a great performance Bob. I was aiming for that sort of pace in my 1500 last week, but obviously got nowhere near.
  • Great run Bob - 10:36 meant nothing to me but when you converted that to 3:30km and I realised that was 35minute 10k pace then I was suitably impressed - team managerimage

Meanwhile I discovered this morning a really easy way to injure myself as I fell off my bike in the wet - fortunately it was in the office car park as I came round a bend so was not going too fast but my whole right hand side is bloody and grazed and my forearm is covered in a rather interesting bruised pattern- better to learn these lessons in a car park at 10mph than on a busy road at 30mph!!

• Ha! I wish, Muddy. GPS triangulation inaccuracies to blame there which seem to be amplified by the continuous cornering on the track. Actual pace is more like 5:40 - which is only a few seconds per mile inside Lit's new 5k pace, sheesh. image

Lou - Wasn't it a mile you did? 5:44 do I recall? If so, only just outside the pace I was doing last night, which coincidentally at 5:40 matches my mile time from last September. Quite happy with a bigger winter base and some specific training over the last few weeks to have converted last year's mile pace to this year's 3k pace, and shows what can be done with a bit of focus. Hopefully a bit more to come as well before I put track to bed for the year.

Lit - Not sure yet as the results weren't out by the time I left after the final relay of the night at 9.30. There were certainly many more behind me than in front of me, but with M35, M40 and M50 all going in another mob start, and no way of distinguising one from the others via the numbers we were wearing, it was impossible to know who I was actually racing. I'm sure it would have included 'glove man' from the last Vets' meeting however, who was again sporting his bright yellow handwear and again doing virtually every event going so it seemed! Actually a thoroughly decent bloke having chatted with him last night - and gave me some encouragement as I passed him coming off the final corner of the penultimate lap as he unsurprisingly faded.

Dean - Going back to the CWG 1500m from the other night - yes, I agree completely. It obviously worked out well for Laura Weightman in the end, but disappointing that one of the other home runners didn't at least 'have a go' as Beth Potter had done in the 10000m earlier. And yep, most of the women's MD races I've watched on telly this summer, unless Genzebe Dibaba is involved, I've found myself looking at the clock at the end of the race thinking, 'hmmm...slower than Dean'!

Have cross-referenced last night's time now with other distances on McMillan and WAVA, and this pulls the 3000m encouragingly into line with my mile time, only just outside my 1500m time, and track wise just leaves the 800m in need of some proper revision. Will get an opportunity to do that a week on Sunday, though hopefully I'll have already improved the 1500m time a little on the Saturday as well. That 5k now sticks out like a sore thumb even more however - should be between 18:35 and 18:37 according to WAVA/McMillan. It's perhaps the recent lack of volume in aerobic and endurance mileage that's nobbling me there if I look at it objectively. Final bit of nerdy stats nonsense - I reckon this will drop the RB handicap down to exactly 5.0. Had set myself a target of getting down to 4.x by mid-August, so anything like a half decent weekend on the 9th and 10th should see me achieve that and hopefully a bit more.

• X-post, Skinny. Cheers...and ouch! image Hope that doesn't come up too painful and problematic - when's your tri-sprint event? Must be soon now?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bob - congrats on another big PB.  if you treat this winter as build up for next summer your track times will be snmashed apart with MD specific training too.

i didnt race last night but plan to race in the cup final. So will see you there.  probably do the 8 & 1500 double.

• Hmmm - its Sunday.

Weather forecast is rain so thought a quiet ride into work this morning would get me used to cornering in the wet - whoops!!

• Cheers Richard, Dean. And yes, the winter will be purely a means to an end. The end being to build a base for next year's track season. I'll probably loosely target a 10k or two in the late winter or early spring again next year, but I'm determined I'm not going to break myself and compromise the track build up again as I did this year.

Well and truly have the track bug now. image 

Shame you didn't race last night, Dean - hope all's well. Was looking at the timetable for the Cup Final last night, and there's a gap of several hours between the 8 & 15 as I recall. Good to have the break, and although different problems to those posed by racing them back-to-back, problems nevertheless I'd imagine!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good work Bob, yet another PB, excellent image! Sounds like you're looking forward to winter cross country already.

Skinny - sounds painful, hope you heal quickly.

Planning on an easy 3 miles before football later.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done bob!!! You sound like you buzzing from it. What about the delights of xc this winter?

Skinny, this biking can certainly be dangerous business. I've not had an off yet except the once I stopped at a junction and forgot my feet were clipped in and collapsed sideways. 

Working from home this pm so will get out about 5 for 25 min threshold session, followed a few hours later by a sports massage. Looks like parkrun will happen Saturday as I've got a mate coming which means someone is relying on me. I have convinced myself sub 20 will be a good outcome, however the three 10ks I've recently done have all been 15-45 seconds faster than same three last summer when I set my 5k pb. So in reality I should be going out with at least sub 19.30 in mind. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

"Working" from home this pm so will get out about 5 for 25 min threshold session, followed a few hours later by a sports massage. 

Haha.

Re. bike accidents, I got my wheel caught in tram tracks once and fell off and landed on my face. But I was fine and also the two bottles of wine I was carrying in my wicker basket were both fine too.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Phew re the wine!!!!

'Working' from home is a fairer assessment than just working from home. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    25 min Lt done. Mentally quite difficult. Kept telling myself I would stop at 15 for a rest then 20. I need to learn some better pacing with complete mile splits of 6.29, 6.49 and 6.43. Legs felt heavy from start, so very much in need of tonights massage.
  • Good going DT. It was a strength and conditioning session for me followed by a gentle jog. If you turned your 6's upside down you'd be looking at my paces for that.
  • I've fallen off a few times due to feet being clipped in.  I also fell off during Coventry Tri a coupel of years ago where there was a right turn at a T-junction so the rule was that you had to stop at the junction, unclip and put a foot down, check for traffic then set off again. I did the unclipping and foot down bit ok but then tried to accelerate with an unclipped shoe.  Foot slipped off the pedal and I was left sprawling in the middle of the road.

I think a car did have to stop whilst I picked myself up again.  No doubt the marshal enforcing the foot down rule and a good laugh about it.

I went mountain biking at Llandegla for my stag weekend when we got married and went straight over the handlebars and landed on my face, which was rather worrying.  Fortunately the graze on my chin had healed in time for the wedding the following weekend.

Good running DT, muddy - rest day for me today.  

R paced pyramid session on Wednesday night 200,400,800,400,200m target paces ranged from :530 to 5:40m/mi.  I've not checked actuals, but I think I got them about right. 5m easy yesterday.

Lit - enjoy the wine.

• Lou - I don't have clips so that rule would probably be okay for me - is that a universal rule in all tris or race to race decision?

Bit sore today and the weather forecast for Sunday was horrendous on last nights news but looks a little better today - just wet and really windy, last night was really wet and really windy.

Lou - your chin graze story made me look at your avatar afresh - what is the painting and why is it your avatar?

• Ha - My avatar has absolutely no relevance to anything.  It was just in the news when I fist started using the RW fora.

Some old spanish lady decided a priceless masterpiece in her local church was looking a bit shabby and decided to do a bit of amateur restoration work.  I would change it if someone took a nice photo of me looking like I was running really fast.

Before and after pictures.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/online/2012/8/22/1345647849262/Ecce-Homo-by-Elias-Garcia-006.jpg

• haha - so I was sort of right - your avatar does look a bit like someone who has wiped out their chin!

• Tommy / DT. Hmmm, yes...cross-country. Not particularly looking forward to it, but is still part of the plan. Seem to have reaped the rewards of last winter's efforts with progress so far this year despite it being painful both physically, and worse, psychologically by being made to feel incompetent by my road and track standards week after week for months on end! This time round I'll also do some road racing for Charnwood in the Leics Winter Road Racing league to (hopefully) reassure myself occasionally.

Sounds tough going with the tempo, DT but well toughed out. More even pacing would certainly help I'm sure, and practice out on the road should in turn help with that. Is it purely threshold work you're doing at the moment for quality? No MP, HMP, or mixed pace sessions? No quicker intervals targeting VO2 max? Is this something you discuss with your coach, or is it just as prescribed? Good luck at the parkrun in the morning - hope any fatigue from the tempo has cleared through by then.

Some excellent cycling mishap stories. How did the rep session feel, Lou? I remember that story about the amateur painting restoration. image

Spent yesterday lugging old, heavy IT equipment about and into a recycling box, so as I was knackered when I got home and noticed I'd only had one day off the running in the previous thirteen, decided to count that as my 'active' recovery for the day and took my planned rest a day early. Feel better for it, and will now have a short jog out tonight, with something a bit longer including perhaps a mid-run leg speed session tomorrow.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bob, im quite looking forward to xc. Its a nice change of scenary and approach in that im chasing peopleas opposed a time.

Re the sessions, there was a block early on of mara pace. It is heavy on the LT work. Ive done some mixed pace stuff recently with the 10kp stuff but only 3 sessions. Icannot remember the last time i did full on vo2 intervals. During p and d mara training the intervals were 10kp and since the last one of those in march i have only done 3 other sessions faster than threshold. I therefore havent run faster than 10kp since last December.

I have not questioned anything so far but I may query vo2 development as i don't really think 6 x 4 mins at 10kp really hits vo2. Therfore it will be interesting to see if i have any sustainable pace beyond 10kp!

• Avatar changed - Blurry shot to give the impression of speed.  I now feel like a proper runner.

Skinny - going back a bit, I don't know if the foot down rule is standard.  It only applied in that event because there was a right turn at a road junction.  I think most routes are planned to go anticlockwise so you always turn left at junctions.

DT - iirc Skinny's first year or more under SG's tutelage didn't include anything quicker than threshold and he made some pretty solid progress at 5k. Is that right Skinny?  

Bob - The reps were fine.  The 800m started to bite on the second lap, but then the following 400 and 200 felt fairly easy in comparison.  Again, I reduced to volume quite a bit from the session in the book.

• Oh Lou - I wish I'd never asked, I'm going to miss that paintingimage

Re foot down - I actually asked because in the race details it specifically mentions there are two right turns on the bike ride - I'm sure they'll mention it one way or another in the rpe race briefing and if its as wet as the forecast suggests I will be virtually stopping at every turn anyway.

Re my training - other than strides I have rarely done any running at faster than 10k pace and not much at that. Most of my harder sessions have been at HMP but other than brief periods focussing on 10k I have always been focussed towards an HM or building my base.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I always thought it was some sort of charicature of Lou!

Thats reassuring then that things can happen without smashing out the track sessions.

Decided to cycle in today to flush my legs a bit. Kept it very leisurely. Looks like i am going to get a soaking going home, and even more of it at parkrun (if i get up!)

• Good luck in the morning DT and t anyone else racing this weekend.

Cheers, Skinny

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Well done on the 3000m pb, Bob!  You're having a great summer on the track.

Have a good parkrun, DT and enjoy your triathlon, skinny.

Continuing my cautious comeback, I allowed myself 8k at MP today and, for once, managed to stay on pace.  Enjoyed it despite the heavy rain.  Luckily it was a familiar route as I could barely see through my specs!

• good luck tomorrow DT. Anyone else parkrunning?

I did 16x 400m at 10k pace today with 1 min recoveries, and kept them all very sensibly within a few seconds of target, for the brownie points. I met another runner who claimed that the hawk was actually a buzzard but I am sceptical.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01445/buzzard_1445959c.jpg

Be careful!!!!

Looks like I am now committed to parkrun despite the forecast.

• Hmm. Both types of bird are brown and medium-sized. It seems to be swooping less and just yelling more as it gets used to me, however.

PS: I always knew that Lou's avatar was that comedy Jesus picture.