Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I will revert later with a fuller report/set of excuses but came out on watch at 19.46. Seasons best but a good 17 seconds of what I wanted today.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

19.47 official time.

Day didn't start as planned. Everyday for as long as I can remember one of the kids has risen before 7. Today they just kept sleeping. I eventually pulled myself out of bed just after 7.30. Too late to eat and drink too much, which was a concern as I went to bed on a grumbling stomach. Managed to get a yogurt and banana and was off, already late. Got there for 8.30. Did the first stage of warm up which was an easy lap of course. Was really blowing and almost knocked it on head. 

I then needed a poo. Warm up ended there whilst I explored the woods for a suitable spot. We then lined up for start. I spotted a guy who I knew was a low 19.xx and he said he never smashes off so I resolved to go off with him. That worked well as I found the usual discomfort was held off longer plus I didn't then spend last two miles being overtaken. I was however aware really early in of a burning in my stomach and knew I was on edge of vomit point from early on. I managed to get with two lads and sat with them most of run which helped but when I tried to push in last 800 the stomach wasn't having it.

This was not part of the plan so anything would have been a bonus and I was told not to taper or break schedule. This was essentially replacing this weeks 10kp effort. I have had a pretty heavy 5 days from Monday with nearly 60 cycling miles,  a 13 miler, an Lt session and easy 5 miles, so was anything but fresh. 

I've had 4 consecutive good races so I was due a duffer and preparation on day and in week was not optimal. 

• Options
    Sounds ok to me DT, 24 secs off your PB but parkrun hurts particularly if you are not in A1 condition.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I guess I'm looking at it more from fact that pb is now a year old and I thought it was soft then.

• Options
    Sounds like a reasonable effort to me DT. Makes me glad that our local Parkrun starts from a sports pavilion. With toilets.

Easy 9 miles for me this morning. I also took middle daughter to a local kids race as she is very enthusiastic about running a the moment. She was very excited and (following a good warm up, obviously) lined up right at the front for the 3-4yo 100m race. She jumped the gun slightly and took an early early lead. Unfortunately, around the 20m mark, she tripped an fell and was trampled by the following hoard. She was quite upset when I picked her up, but asked to carry on and finished.

Hopefully it won't dampen her spirit: she said she enjoyed it afterwards.

Sorry for turning the thread into mumsnet, but it is running related.
  • Options
    lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Sounds like a reasonable effort to me DT. Makes me glad that our local Parkrun starts from a sports pavilion. With toilets.

Sounds pretty good to me too. Don't all parkruns have to have toilets, or they're not allowed to set them up?

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Don't all parkruns have to have toilets, or they're not allowed to set them up?

Seems a reasonable rule to me, especially as, judging from comments on other threads, (male) runners seem especially prone to being "caught short".  Dog poo's bad enough; definitely don't need parks filling up with the human variety!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There is a visitors centre but guess what......it opens at 9! I did go deep into undergrowth beyond where a human would naturally wander.

I'm thinking of taking my son to the new local junior parkrun tomorrow, just a bit worried 2k is beyond him.

Lou- do you know anything about Coventry parkrun being cancelled today? I saw some people post they attended and was cancelled yet also saw posts from people I know who do cov who went to Solihull. Guessing from that it wasn't last minute.
  • Options
    What a wuss I am - just spent the whole of the last lap blubbering away at Jo Pavey - superb!
  • Options

DT - Coventry Donkey Derby in the Memorial Park today.  I've never been, but it's billed as the biggest such event in the country.

Skinny - just got the kids in bed so time to sit down for bit of CG.  Saw the 4x100 earlier.

• Options

Ooh, yes, good luck in the tri! Where I think I'd f*** up is all the messing around in transitions. But no pressure.

• Options
    Tri done - don't know my time but I would guess about 1:21 - run was a disaster as my right calf totally cramped up and had to stop for a good while and stretch it out - so run splits were 10:15!, 7:15, 6:45 plus scraps for just under 26 mins!!

Good fun though for a change.
  • Options

Oh results out now - much better than I thought.

500m swim 11:09 (a PB!)

T1 1:13

20k bike ride 40:28 (a PB!)

T2 23.10 secs (3rd out of all 102 peopleimage)

5k run 26:01imageimage

Total time 1:19:15 for 52nd out of 102 (target time was 1:20 so very happyimage)

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Well toughed out, skinny!  I can't imagine doing anything else after a 500m swim.  Hope you suffer no after-effects in your calf.

• Options

Good work Skinny. Were you fastest in transition because you don't have those fancy cycling shoes?

• Options

Top effort, Skinny. Got to be happy with that as a first off. Would have been a cracker without the calf cramp. The swimming doesn't mean much to me, but average of 30kph on the bike sandwiched between the swim and the run sounds excellent. Agree about Jo Pavey - brought a tear to my eye too, not that it takes much...same with Lynsey Sharp. The 400 relay meanwhile had me yelling at the telly in a fashion that reminded me of Kriss Akabusi's fantastic last leg back in '91 (?) at the Tokyo World Champs!

Well done, DT. Sounds pretty good in the circumstances. I know it yielded some initial dividends, and don't like to keep mentioning it as I'm obviously not qualified to make a truly informed judgement, but I do wonder at what point the mass of LT/10k pace running becomes counter-productive in the volume as much as the lack of variety.

Like the new avatar, Lou. image What a shame for your daughter though, poor thing. At least she said she enjoyed it still. Ours ran another 13 second PB at junior parkrun this morning, continuing the record of a PB at every outing. Inside the top 20 (of 94) on age grading too. image

Good to see the comeback is in progress, Pete. 5 miles at MP is s decent session and bodes well.

Looking forward to hearing from Muddyimage

Decent weekend's running here. Had a wonderfully elemental run in the glorious cool of a torrential downpour on Friday night. What a contrast with all the hot weather running. Was only going out for a jog round, but with the relief of the cool, the cadence picked up, and I effortlessly glided round at an easy pace almost a minute per mile quicker than recently by the final mile and a half. A real reminder of the joys of running outside of just lining up the PB attempts! Slightly longer, undulating run yesterday with a leg speed session of 8 x 'flying 100s' with walkback recoveries. Bit wet on the grass, but the mini-session averaged 4:04 pace for the 100s, topping out on 2 of the reps at 3:34 pace if the Garmin is to be believed. Another easy 3 after the junior parkrun this AM, track session tomorrow, and then a cruise into the 1500 and 800 next Saturday/Sunday.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, great effort. If it wasn't for the calf you'd have smashed the time!

Bob, yes I take your point. I'm about to enter week 12 now and have personally decided to give it to the end of year and review. Obviously im after results and progress and ultimately that will need to be a pb somewhere. 

Talking of progress, skinnys tri got me thinking about a duathlon I did in 2009 on a whim so stalked out my results, link below. I kind of wish I hasdnt now!!! This was off circuit training and football fitness entirely having never been out running or cycling. I'm now 90 secs quicker over 5k without having done first two stages!

http://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/3P/46.html

• Options

Sounds like a pretty good effort in the parkrun DT, a seasons best with loads more to come I imagine. The tri sounded like a lot of fun in this weather Skinny, apart from the cramp obviously. Going to be doing much more of that ?

I prepared for my 10k in York with an emergency all nighter on Friday wrestling with servers at work. I suffered a reaction to some insect bites after my Thursday night strength and conditioning session round the woods and, by the time I crawled into bed at 7am on Saturday morning, my ankles were horrendously swollen and painful. Managed a few hours of sleep before heading up to York for the early evening where my ankles drew a few winces from my hosts. Some hydrocortisone cream was located and I smothered my lower legs in it as our jaws dropped at Jo Pavey's efforts. A good night's kip was eventually had and my ankles deflated leaving just some mild soreness behind. 

I did this race last year, my first one ever after 2 weeks of running and it was this that spurred me into finding a running club, flipping me from unconscious to conscious incompetence, where I met Chris (Fatty Ford) who eventually led me to this thread. So in a way, that race then - completed in 52:50 - is responsible for me sitting here now posting this, one year on.

Race day begins as ever, with tea and toast, then, as its nice out, we take a walk down to the race start at one end of York racecourse. This takes in the 7-10km part of the route and immediate thoughts are that it is quite a stiff headwind. I decide to take it steady early on in anticipation of that. The wind is really blowing as I warm up round the racecourse which reinforces that decision. as I head back from my first warm up loop, the Pa system blares announcing that due to traffic problems the start will be delayed for 30 minutes, so I ditch the warmup and relax on the grass taking in the event village while my mate queues for the portaloos. On his return I drag him off for a warmup and complete a couple of uncomfortable miles. Much amused during this by the tannoy shout out to ‘Toby’ and ‘Felicity’ running for ‘Muppetry in Motion’. Takes me right back to last year.

Off to the pens, then, where I cast a slightly sceptical eye over my fellow sub-40 occupants. There are some there that look ever so slightly out of place. Mind you last year I would have thought it was referring to age too. We are set off by the Lord Mayor and a quartet of Premiership refs are doing it as part of their pre-season training. Countdown. Go. Past the main stand at the race course and down on to the Bishopthorpe road where one household is endeavouring to support by blasting out Eye of the Tiger and Keep on Running on a constant loop.

“Just one man and his will to survive” - indeed, especially when I hear that bloody song for the fourth time on my walk back post-race.

I skip ahead however. Where were we ? Ah yes, heading down the Bishopthorpe road parallel to the Ouse, and I am trying to take it easy as we head into the town centre skirting the city walls, through the Shambles to the Minster, and then out past Cliffords Tower. My pacing is nice and even and I feel in reasonable shape, though I get a bit of a shock when I pass the 5k flag and see 21 something on the watch. A second glance at the distance reading provides some reassurance as it shows I’d covered ~3.5 miles at that point but I am unable to think too much about the half split time as we are heading back down to the Ouse and picking up a headwind.

6k, and 7k pass quickly along the riverside and then I am back on the route I walked earlier, crossing Millennium Bridge back towards the racecourse, then up past the finishing straight (twice) for a couple of out and back loops round cones. Around the 8k flag it sta

• Options

Around the 8k flag it starts to hurt, fighting both a gradient and the wind on the out section and at 9k, sheltered from the breeze it is the heat that starts to hit. The 400m to go flag provides the impetus for a final push down the tree lined Knavesmire Road as the clock ticks towards 39:00. 38:50 ..51..52..53 aargh ! I cross the line at 38:56 and stop the watch promptly reading 38:43 - which is later confirmed as the official chip time. image

• Options

Stunning effort, Muddy - particularly taken in the context of your first race at the same event last year. I know you'd only been running for a couple of weeks, but over 14 minutes off in a year is ridiculous!

Plenty more to come where that came from too. Congrats. image

• Options

Excellent time Muddy, and some good early excuses too (unnecessary as it turn out). Is ‘strength and conditioning’ round the woods a run or some other type of workout. Our eldest loves climbing trees and yesterday he invented a game in which I chased him through the branches of a willow tree. Shoulders are aching quite a bit today and it got me thinking that it might be quite a good upper body workout.

Am I the only one who didn’t see Jo Pavey’s race?

Well done Skinny – To me that looks like a very creditable effort. Tri times aren’t really comparable as the transitions vary and the course lengths are often approximate, but that’s quite a bit quicker than my last effort at Coventry, which from memory was about 1:24. (unfortunately they don’t have the results on line and I messed up the garmin on the day)

Was your time for T2 so quick because you forgot to take your helmet off for the run?

The cramp was in the opposite calf to the one you’ve having problems with? How are the legs feeling today? No ill effects I hope.

Bob – I enjoyed the rain the other day too. Took the dog for a lap of the woods, brought her home and dried her off then went back out and did another lap. 9 miles altogether and got completely soaked through as it was raining quite heavily.
    What do Flying 100s involve? Are they just like strides with walk recoveries?

We’re staying with parents in Chesterfield for a few days this week. As I’m not working I thought I would do my Rep session on a track, but a bit of googeling indicates that the town’s municipal track closed at around the time of the London Olympics (how about that for a legacy) and the cinder track at my old school just looks like a dusty oval with a floodlit all weather pitch in the middle. Both look like they could still be useable for training so I might jog into town tomorrow and have a look at the municipal track. I’m quite surprised that a town the size of Chesterfield doesn't have an athletics track.

• Options
    Lou - Cheers, the S&C stuff is pliometrics, core stuff and work with resistance bands. It's a new thing the club have introduced for the summer months. We use fallen trees and tree stumps for bits and pieces too but no climbing is involved. Don't think the clubs insurance would cover that.
  • Options

Ha. All my Beeston pals did the Jagermeister 10k in that torrential downpour on Friday. Quite a few PBs though!

Well done in the 10k Muddy. Though I think it is disappointing that you don't at least use the trees to do pull-ups. Or rope climbing or something.

Also, Bob: hahahaha, Worksop has been listed on Po10 & Runbritain as 5MNAD, 'NAD' in this context meaning 'not even f***ing close'. So now I have a handicap of 3.7.

I didn't see Jo Pavey's race either, Lou. I'm so unused to having a TV that I forget it's there and I can turn it on if I like.

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04d9bv2/commonwealth-games-glasgow-2014-bbc-one-day-10-19002200

Lou - watch from about 14 mins into the episode (about 5 mins into race). If you just watch the final 150m which they show on the BBC report of her winning the bronze then you just won't get it).

Well done Muddy - back later with lots more love for the Funster and a read back.

• Options

Lou - Not altogether dissimilar to strides, but with a bit more focus, structure, closer to top pace, and complete recovery in between. Picked the idea up via Lydiard/Livingstone I think, and something I've been meaning to do for weeks, but one of those things you know you ought to be doing, but never seem to get round to. I measured and marked out (mentally) a 100m long section of the local playing field, gently picked up pace so I had a rolling start to the 100m, then accelerated further into a relaxed sprint, concentrating on form and quick striding. Tried to think about what I might have been doing well, and what I might improve on in the walk back recoveries. Quite good fun, and did feel like I was shifting from the 50m to 100m mark once I'd accelerated. Must have activated the glutes as well, as particularly the left has had a right twitch on since!

Lit - Pfffft! How daft is that?! Don't know about you, but I won't be claiming that as my 5m PB despite what runbritain might tell me. That handicap of yours is going to see you hurdling another 100+ women this week, and put you inside the top 650 or so women in the country. image

Still waiting for the results to come out from my 3000m last week, and thus the boost to my handicap. Seems all my good races seem to take ages for the results to come through at the moment! Ya boo sucks.

• Options

Well, of course it's not a 5 mile PB, and nor would anything be with NAD after it even I thought it was actually 5 miles. Which it clearly wasn't. Still funny though.

• Options

Aye, it is. As you say - nowhere near. The handicap boost is fair enough though, as it's adjusted against others' performances. So you raced it, and your performance reflected the level you are now at. I didn't race it, and therefore doesn't count in my top 5 performances, even though on paper it's a 5m PB by over a minute.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, well done. Is that another pb? Doesn't look like you showing any signs of a plateau just yet.

Pleasant 12 miles tonight. Thee nerve impingement seems well under control no we, however my lower legs all round seem to get very tight after a few miles. Not really sure why.

• Options

Cheers folks.

Sounds like decent run out DT. I had half a mind to get out for a long run last night but thought I'd better take a rest day. Regretting that decision looking at the contrasting weather today.

It was a new best, and it's interesting looking at the times come down as my mileage goes up. I'm still on a moderate mileage really - last month 145-ish - so guess I should look for the point where mileage goes upwards but race times don't go down before introducing some exotic training methods.

I have learned the value of the conditioning work over the last year that's for sure. I was probably pushing at higher mileages than my body was ready for in January and April and caught a couple of injuries that forced me to step the mileage right down again. However since I've been doing all the physio assigned stuff and elliptical based recovery sessions, I've felt much more resilient.

• Options

Bob - I used to do "strides" as sprint paced reps;  not timed or measured but probably in the 200-400m pace zone with slow jog back recoveries. I've slowed them down a bit recently after reading something somewhere, probably more like mile pace now, but I think I preferred the faster version.  

DT - Just discovered that Kenilworth and Stratford both clash with a wedding/christening double weekend and a weekend away in Cornwall respectively, so the search goes on.  Current favourite is now Raceways Shakespear 10k in Stratford on 15th Nov.  Two weeks after Droitwich HM, so provided I don't pick up any niggles I should be in good condition.

Skinny - Jo Pavey's performance is very impressive.  She really took the race on from around half way right to the line.  I got quite exited at one point when the commentator said that one of the early laps was 82s.  I exclaimed "I can do a lap in 82s" to middle daughter.  She wasn't impressed.

In similar news, McF bought a new babylonian sized sports bra and went for a run yesterday.  Mile and half with one taunt shouted from a passing car.