Overdone it?

Comments

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Big Bad Bob, that is very fast.  Well done. My self-defence strategy (never implemented) is Run Away but as things stand (I'm crap at sprinting) it will only work if I can first agree with the aggressor that there is to be no touching for the first few miles.  You won't have this problem.

ice cream. yum.

Yes Skinny it was the it was Ridelondon 100.  I had a blast. As long as you don't crash, puncture, or get cold (all likely outcomes) riding in the rain on closed roads is FUN - though I could feel my lack of bike training on the few teeny hills.  I was out to enjoy myself, averse to the risk of crashing but not the risk of bonking, so smacked it out of the gate hanging on to the fastest wheels I could find, then lost my group every time we came to a sharp corner.  It was rarely long before another train came roaring up behind.  I got to start near the front, surrounded by fit and competent club riders; it was less fun for those further back.  The organisers cut two big hills from the course because the wet descents were too dangerous for 20,000 amateurs, so finishing time was 3:54 for 86 miles, unscathed but with more than a pint of water sloshing around inside my bike frame.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

if you are exercising hard and therefore have lots of CO2 dissolved in your blood, does that change the pH much?

• marrows wrote (see)

Yes Skinny it was the it was Ridelondon 100.  I had a blast. As long as you don't crash, puncture, or get cold (all likely outcomes) riding in the rain on closed roads is FUN - though I could feel my lack of bike training on the few teeny hills.  I was out to enjoy myself, averse to the risk of crashing but not the risk of bonking, so smacked it out of the gate hanging on to the fastest wheels I could find, then lost my group every time we came to a sharp corner.  It was rarely long before another train came roaring up behind.  I got to start near the front, surrounded by fit and competent club riders; it was less fun for those further back.  The organisers cut two big hills from the course because the wet descents were too dangerous for 20,000 amateurs, so finishing time was 3:54 for 86 miles, unscathed but with more than a pint of water sloshing around inside my bike frame.

Marrows - well done! 3:54 for 86 miles - that sounds like proper cycling (22mph+) - were you a cyclist before a runner or am I just pants at cycling? Do you have proper clip on cycling shoes and if so can you tell me if they are worth it from a speed point of view.

Re your CO2/pH question - no idea but have you done any neural work on the effect of lactate acid on people who suffer anxiety and have panic attacks?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/panic-attacks-as-ph-problem/     

Maybe neural and brain studies are two different things - sorry I'm a bit of a passenger in UniChall on biology qestions.

• I cycle at 13.5mph and have a wicker basket. image Good to see that you are back though as I was worried that you had drowned.

I briefly dated a neuroscientist once. Aparrently they had these bran scan machines like those giant hairdryers in 50s salons in their lab which I thought sounded thrilling but sadly I never got to see them.

• Bran scan - looks like you've got wheat on the brain too!

• Oh dear, there's some well dodgy spelling in that last post. Not enough bread, I expect.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

I've never trained for cycling, only running, but I look more like a cyclist/T-rex. Yes I use SPDs and yes they help you go faster and are also useful when going over bumps - you can stand up, keep pedalling, and not worry about feet slipping off pedals. No idea about panic attacks.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

You should have written it standing on your head, Lit

• I can't write standing on my head but I can read while hanging by one knee.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/trapeze_2.jpg

• DT - Sort of see your point, though we were out of the house for about 8 hours yesterday. Warming up and cooling down time are similar for all racing (a bit longer for MD racing perhaps - over 5 miles in total yesterday), and when you include travelling time, having a chin wag with fellow competitors, a meal on the way home and so on, it was fairly incidental whether I'd been running for the 2:21 I was, 16:13 like Phil, or around 40 minutes for a 10k. Unless it's right on your doorstep or a marathon, the actual time spent racing is always going to be a minority component of the time you commit to an event. There also seems to be a greater camaraderie with track racing, probably because there's less of you around at any one time, and with multiple events taking place around a smaller track, you get the opportunity to encourage either on several times in a single race. I reckon I've already doubled my friendly acquaintances in the running world during my few months of track racing.

Phil - Cheers, and congrats again to you. Terrific stuff - another national medal for your collection. Shame for Stuart to miss both a time and a medal so narrowly, but was still a brave run in those conditions, hope he'd overcome his disappointment by the time you got home. A few people have told me that about the way I run now - I told my Dad he was just biased when he first mentioned it! Certainly feel I'm holding form better this year with the stronger core from pilates.

Skinny - Thanks, but no medals, no...dead last - this was the Nationals that attracts some of the best runners in every age group from across the entire UK after all! Scotland, Cornwall, Wales, East Anglia, etc - all well represented across the weekend. I only trailed in by 4 seconds though, which was a lot less than it should have been on paper, where I was 17 seconds down on the next slowest. There weren't many PBs going on in those conditions, so I reckon my time was even worth a bit more had they been more favourable. Brilliant news for you as well with your trouble free 5.5 miler, that must have been as pleasurable to you, as my weekend's running was to me. image

Lou - Well, I don't need to point out which of that list I think you should prioritise.image Agree with some of the other comments on those core exercises - hardcore! Take it easy!

Lit - You showed admirable patience with the drama queen on that other thread. image

Tommy - Abandoned the 3000m on Wednesday then? Probably a decent decision given your 'unsual' training recently. Hopefully you can get a decent block in for the upcoming targets.

Marrows - Thanks, and nicely put - made me smile. image I did wonder why you were off out for a bike ride at 3.49am on a Sunday! All now becomes clear. Sounds good.

The results still aren't out officially, but have been notified of my result in the recent Vets' League 3000m - 10:35.7 and a 26 second plus PB. It saw me 6th of 17th overall, earning 6 points for finishing 3rd (of 5) in the M35 category in which I was competing, and would also have been 3rd (of 6) if I'd run for Charnwood in my own (M40) category instead of the very speedy James Douglas who actually won the heat. Enjoying myself at the moment. image

• Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)
    Skinny - you maybe aware that the Dumfries 10k clashes with the Gretna 10k - I wrote an email complaining about poor planning - which one would you choose? The heart tells me Dumfries (but think the course has now changed as well) but head says Gretna as it's logistically closer and I can do my warm up running to the registration centre.

I did have a feeling of excitement at VLM this year. But I knew I was in good shape to get a PB. Got an adrenaline rush when I did my pilots licence exam a while back but running events don't seem to have the same importance despite the effort in practice and training being quite consuming and not always enjoyable.

Hi Richard sorry I missed this - I've mainly stopped posting over the weekend because I can't work out how to stay logged in on my iPhone and its a pain having to log in every time I want to post.

Pilots licence - very impressive - do you ever get to fly?

Re Gretna or Dumfries - I also pointed it out when I got an email flyer through and when I saw XBorder organiser but he looked a little bit like he was very sick of people telling him!

I did both last year - the Gretna race is undulating with a few motorway bridges and is run into prevailing wind all the way so on a windy day like last year its not ideal. I felt the slight inclines last year because I was unfit after a short layoff but even so the alst hill up to the motorway bridge on the Rockcliffe road is a bit nasty if you're pushing for a PB.

The Dumfries course is completely new but I've done a few events organised by the club and they've all been really good - if I had been fit I would have done the Dumfries one which I suspect will be very flat as they know what people want. I may still do it but it is the day after I get back from a fellwalking holiday so not ideal.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Can someone point me to this other thread?

Skinny- Spd's definately help as you are essentially connected to the pedals so there no slippling off, plus you can generate power on the up part of the leg cycle as well and can really give it some welly when out of the seat.

Thats an impressive effort cycling marrows, if i read correctly as being 22mph? Thats where the benefit of big calves come into play a little more than running.

Easy 40 minutes on the treadmill. I have definately nailed the lower leg issues on the left, however this hip/glutes niggle is now leading the way. Again, nothing to really stop me doing anything but just irritating. 5 days without running and lots of ice and stretch has done nothing. I have physio tomorrow so will divert their focus to this.

Spot of spin on the way home tonight as family have all gone out for day and wont be back until 8. Body pump has left me aching horrisbly all over from my knees up.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob - yep, canned the 3000m on Wednesday, still looking at the Coventry 5 miler next Wednesday, followed by the hilly 10miler on BH weekend, possibly the Little Aston 5 as part of a long run, then GNR (with a hangover) at the beginning of September, Robin Hood half and then the 10k you identified last week.

DT - I think this is what you're looking for...http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/fat-with-an-achilles-injury/278955.html  enjoy!

Marrows - that looks like a fast bike ride, well done.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

How on earth did people get onto the topic of her weight...baffling!

• Haha. I actually got a bit confused because I was sure I'd been advising someone based on my experience of having a sprained ankle, but later it was all about achilles issues! I was pretty relieved when reading back to see that it wasn't actually me being thick after all.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Kate5 wrote (see)

Do any of your actually red Runners World? Oh for heavens sake. Don't be an idiot and I certainly don't need such really idiotic advice. Do you think I wouldn't eat well if I plan to run a half? I am really getting fed up with all the really stupid comments. I eat really really well first of all probably better than most people so don't even go there. Secondly, grow up. How old are you? I really don't think that someone my age would have an eating disorder. How did we get to that conclusion? The last time and only time I posted something on here I got really good comments and I could here too like some other advice or a discussion about slimming down and speeding up.

Read Runners World July and August issues. I really have had it now with there really inane response. Like I said before obviously anyone with half a brain is not looking at the site today.

This is my favourite.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

anyone who is 50kg, claims to be fat and then gets very very touchy when told she sounds like she might have a disorder.......has a disorder!

• 50kg is about 8 stone, which is okay, but I wouldn't personally want to dip under it at 5'4 (though I probably have slightly above-average amounts of lean muscle mass for a small woman, all those pull-ups etc.). If I go under 8st3 that's like a signal that I need to eat (even) more ice-cream.

• You mean coz she eats so much ice cream?image
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Does my bum look big in this?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure ice cream is actually all that bad. On a sugary treat level its about the healthiest you can have. 

• Of course ice cream isn't bad. That's what I said. I am just deciding what kind to have. The options are: chocolate, creme caramel, peanut butter, honeycomb choc chip, or raspberry sorbet.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

We have a fridge full of mini milks. We have to keep buying boxes as DT3 smashes through the chocolate ones then wants us to get more. 

• Fair enough. The strawberry ones aren't that nice, though I would eat the vanilla.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Do you have all the above flavours laid out in your freezer as standard house stock?

• DT19 wrote (see)

Do you have all the above flavours laid out in your freezer as standard house stock?

I have that Mackie's ice cream that doesn't have a flavour as standard. The rest is a rotating selection. The peanut butter is guest flavour of the month at the local gelateria. I didn't have as much exciting ice cream in Nottingham (except that Greek yoghurt and acacia honey one from Sainsbury's) but it turns out Scotland is amazing for ice cream.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Seems counter intuitive to me for the Scots to love ice cream. If you can't beat em join em approach I guess. 

• I would imagine ice cream goes very well with deep fried battered mars bars.

Richard I know you didn't mean Lit but.......;-)
  • It's okay, Richard, I am rising above it.

DT - I believe a lot of Italian people immigrated to Scotland in the early 20th Century, which is why there is so much excellent gelato. I will concede that it is fecking freezing today though.

• Lit is there a difference between a PhD and a DPhil?

PS I don't suffer from panic attacks.