Overdone it?

Comments

• Good luck with the races guys. I'll be supporting Mrs D in her HM A race for the summer.

Very jealous

• macemace ✭✭✭

image @ not talking targets Lit image

1:33:54 at Kent Coastal Half which i'm happy with all considered and i had a bit in the tank. Folkestone is a much flatter Half and so long as the wind isn't tearing in off the Channel i should be able to give 1:32 a decent crack.

23rd overall, 4th V45  ( 1st unattached Vet image )

Not sure the goody bag did much for recovery though, small chocolate bar, bag of ready salted crisps and a can of red bull image 

• Mace - good time for a warm up race!!

Is that a PB?

• macemace ✭✭✭

Cheers Skinny and yes it is. 3 half marathons so far

1:47:12 last Sept

1:36:39 as a PMP run for training for Brighton Mara

1:33:54 today.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Shifting a few pounds that i've gained over the summer would help. I reckon i'm 7lbs heavier than the 1:36 start of March and 14lbs heavier than Brighton mid April.

• My report from from Wilne 10K.

Wasn't sure what time to aim for as the last 3-4 weeks training have been really disrupted by one thing and another. In the end decided to aim at 4.15 - 4.20 km’s as keeping to those would better my PB (43:47 – set at the end of June this year). Had a fairly decent warm up of about 1.5 miles with a few strides. Start area was really crowded and lots of people stood in the wrong place (e.g. a woman looking to crack 55 mins stood 2 rows back from a guy looking to go sub 31). Anyway we set off and managed to get round the charity runners and others in the wrong place and settled into a decent rhythm, first few kilometres were fairly uneventful, was moving through the field and was only overtaken by a handful of people at most, reached the finish line (it’s essentially a two lap course) and came up on to a long straight road (best part of 2K) into a fairly strong headwind, managed to shelter behind a few people but could feel them slowing so decided to push on alone but it was hard work in the wind. Between 6 and 8K, I started to feel the pace a bit but kept going past people, a guy came along side me at about 8k and we pushed each other on and over took a fairly large group. At about 9.5k he said his legs were gone so I went on alone trying to catch 2 more people but didn’t quite manage it. Crossed the line in 43:03, so a ~40second PB, which I’m pleased with but slightly annoyed to not get below 43 mins.

Splits tell the story (4.16, 4.15, 4.16, 4.19, 4.19, 4.21, 4.26, 4.20, 4.16, 4.02) – spot the windy 2k....the 5K split is faster than my 5k PB so need to do a 5K soon to get that PB realigned.

Bumped into Literatin and Speedy Goth Girl near the race village and had a mile or so warm down run with them. Decent yet strange goody bag including a bed side reading lamp and some lip gloss...and she wasn’t joking Lit is scared of bananas.

Good event and reasonably pleased with the time but think there’s more to come but that will have to wait as I turn my attention to an Autumn HM.

Cheers T2D

• Evening all. Well done to Mace and nice to meet Tommy. I was pissed off because Tommy and Speedy got the travel reading lamps and I got a bloody washing line and clothes pegs instead. Also he's beaten me to the 'spot the windy 2k' splits game, except I was going to exaggerate and call it 2.5k.

• Oh yes, and 39:45. image

• Ok, let's call it 2.5k into a gale force wind.

And yes for clarity it is a travel reading lamp not a full sized bed side lamp as I described it originally.

Well done on the time again!

• Congrats both!

Great running. Can confirm the windiness of the East Mids this morning. Was blowing a gale in Nott'm city centre at about the the time you'd have been flogging yourselves just down the road. Knew you had a comfortable sub-40 10k in you, Lit. image No excuse not to get that washing hung out now...

Have myself down for both the mile and 3000m on Wednesday at Bingham Tommy if you're still heading down. I'm still far from 100%, but couldn't resist stretching my run today out to the best part of 6 miles, I'm missing proper running so much, so provided there's no big reaction tomorrow, and it's ok so far, I'll hopefully be giving both a blast as it's now confirmed the mile is first up.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A terrific time from Lit. 41.25 in May, 40.59 last month, and now 39:45.

Breaking 40 for 10k is one of those big barriers, especially for a lady.

However, it's well deserved, she's had the faith in our progressive specific plan, she's shown great commitment to following, and she's picked a fast high quality race.

Those are the 3 ingredients, so again well done.

I'm quite excited about both Lit and Skinny, they're both really bearing fruit nicely. Satisfying.image

• Great time Tommy - nice steady pacing and a fast last mile definitely suggests faster time possible but always good to get a PB - particularly in a strong wind.

LIt - massive congratulations - another running barrier smashed through and sounds like not on an ideal day!

Just got back from the Pleasure Beach where have been trying to look after my neck and back all day. Will post some more congratulation messages and questions on Wednesday when back in office.

• Thanks guys! Skinny - conditions were pretty ideal apart from the small bit of gale force wind, so can't really complain. Though I note that the race report here makes more than one mention of the 'strong breeze' that stopped the winner going under 30 mins. Bet you are pleased that I managed to achieve my goal but in a time that should be easily beatable by you on Weds...

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well done Tommy, that's a decent chunk off and sub 43 should go next time.

Sub 40 target then Lit image, well done and that looks to have lined up nicely with your Mara time.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Reading through your lots stats a few pages back, obviously Skinny is gonna be pretty trim but the rest of you are putting me to shame as well image

Age      47

Height   5'10

Weight  12'12

5k       19:13  

10k      41:16

10M     71:13

Half      1:33:54

Mara    3:16:52

• literatin wrote (see)

Bet you are pleased that I managed to achieve my goal but in a time that should be easily beatable by you on Weds...

Love it - the psychological warfare starts and I'm still on holiday!image

• Hi Mace - I had planned to ask you for your stats when I got back to see if I can reformat table to fit in more columns.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow - wouldn't want to upset a fat b*st*rd!!image

• literatin wrote (see)

I was being nice!

Yet when someone tries to be similarly 'nice' to you, they're trying to 'break' you. image

Good luck tomorrow night, Skinny & Richard.

• Congratulation Literatin. Good look to tomorrow's racers.

Mace - Good 5k time!

Love the banter - it's like prime Mourinho/Ferguson.

My current situation is that I've decided to have another week off running (but have been down to the local leisure centre for more 'aquajogging'.  I know this seems like more u-turns that Michael Gove, but people are starting to ask me about marathon training plans etc so my priority is just to get it fixed and start to build up a base mileage.

• Thanks all.

Bob - yes still planning on going over to Bingham tomorrow (as long as the physio gives me the all clear this afternoon) but I'm only down to do the mile not the 3k, will keep an eye out for you.

Good luck for tomorrow Skinny and Richard.

• Just had a proper look in the goody bag. Free chipotle tabasco sauce! image

Sounds sensible, Lou. How did Mrs D do?

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow. Skinny, I don't suppose, when you are back and before your race, you would mind updating the spreadsheet so I get to briefly win at 10k?

• In other news, I just spent my Jagermeister 10k prize voucher (and my friend's voucher for first F50) on some shiny new Saucony Kinvaras. They're not even that garish compared to the neon yellow ones, and they weigh 175g each. image

• Okay first need to get my standard weekly training log post done.

30.6 miles as a bit of a cut back week before the 10k race incl 3*1m at HM, Tempo and 10k with 2 min recovery - as above came out at Tempo, 10k, 10k pace but it was super hard! LSR only 9.1 miles but first 3 were along Blackpool beach straight into this gale everyone keeps talking about and I only averaged 10 min miles for these - fyunnily enough though I then turned round and ran next 3 in 7 min mile with same effort but none of the racers seem to have mentioned the bit when wind was behind themimage

This week is a bigger week but most of miles in back end after race tomorrow.

Cheers, Skinny

• Lou - hope the extra week of aqua jogging does the trick - how did Mrs D do? Did she hit her target?

• Ahem. Actually if you look at the race route, lots of it was sheltered rather than aided by a tailwind. The longest side of the trapezium-shaped loop was straight up the Sawley Road into the gale force wind.

• Stat                   Skinny       Lit            Lou       Richard    Tommy        Mace   

Age                        45         31              40          42             31               47

Height                    6'0"       5'4"            6'1"       5'10"          6'0"         5'10"

Weight                10st 4     8st 12       11st 7    11st 5        11st 5     12st12

5k/pr                   19:15      20:16        20:08        NT          21:32       19:13

5m                      31:17      32:12        32:16      38:40        34:46          NT

10k                     41:19       39:45       40:10       45:04       43:03      41:16

HM                  1:29:08     1:28:26    1:29:02    1:38:46    1:41:30   1:33:54

HMs 2013                 0               1              2              7              1             2

Marathon                NT     3:06:16           NT    3:56:57    3:54:19  3:16:52 

• The above takes account of the recent 10k PBs by Tommyimage and the barrier breaking 10k PB by Lit which also makes her top trump imageimage taking over from Lou - well done to both and also the warm up not even trying HM PB by Maceimage (you can get party time smiley when you are trying!!).

So an excellent weekend of racing.

Good luck to Tommy in his mile race tomorrow night, Bob in his mile and 3000m race (Bob I'll try and squeeze you into table but I don't really have any of the data at the mo, and Richard and me who are racing a 10k.

After that I suspect we are all knuckling down for about 4 weeks for our autumn HMs.

I've now got a 10 mile time for me and Mace so could add that row if everyone else has one.

Cheers, Skinny

• Lit - finally I presume at some point we will get a Tommy style race report from you including splits etc - I don't mind waiting until after tomorrow night but would be interested in seeing your splits, how early you felt bad, etc. - I'm much more interested in how the wind affected your splits than I am some guy who missed out on breaking 30 minutes because of the strong breeze image in the official race report.

• Oh sorry - I also forgot to highlight that Mace jumps straight in as fastest 5k - replacing my time as Top Trump.

Time for a quick bit of foam rolling then bed - did I mention I've got a 10k tomorrowimage