Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    OK sounds like I'm going to be very drunk by 9pm then.

I'm now having doubts about this injury prognosis. Surely with a muscular injury it gradually gets better? This one gradually does over the course of the day. When I first jumped out of bed this morning I almost fell over as I put weight on it.

Good luck at the Godiva 5 tonight Lou, muddy and tommy.
  • Options
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

Bob -  I sense you have a 5k axe to grind.

Enjoy the 'wee hill' at Falkirk, and have a good time in Edinburgh. Shaun Keaveney's been hosting his 6 Music breaksfast show from up there this week - sounds like you'll need some layers!

Pete - Your own trip to Scotland sounds pleasant (Scotland seems very fashionable on this thread lately), your return to fitness pretty much there, and a return to form imminent - cracking session.

Richard - The run commute sounds good. I'm trying to work something similar in during the winter, though as it's a 45 mile round trip, I'm going to have to get creative and use staging posts rather than doing the lot!

DT - I remember when they had T20 finals day at Trent Bridge, there was some awful band on as 'entertainment' between the second SF and the Final. If you fancy a change of scenery, I'm sure there's a pub or two nearby...ah, hang on - yes, you're going to be slaughtered by 9pm. In my experience it's obligatory for a long day at the cricket with the lads to end with everyone being smashed and at least one person falling asleep in the curry house afterwards. image

Tommy - Mrs BBB does want to get out for a run tomorrow night, so that's going to rule me out of the club run unforch. Will get our names down for the Poppy & Pint after the Lake Handicap though.

Pilates and a 3 mile jog there and back for me last night, probably a gentle 6 tonight.

Good luck to the Godiva galavanters tonight - avoid getting too much into the spirit of things though, and do try to keep your clothes on...

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks image.

muddy - only new exercises are squeezing glutes together (imagining they are lumps of meat on a kebab stick!) for 5 secs at a time; 3 sets of 12 and side-lying leg lift with foot turned outwards: hold for 30 secs then pulse for 30 secs.  I don't know Ed Hammell but, if you like blues music, I can thoroughly recommend Janis Joplin: Full Tilt.  It's not so much a tribute band as Janis's life story told alongside seriously good versions of her songs.  I also really enjoyed American Impressionism at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.  Has little funster heard about magic tractors?  I was following one the other day and it suddenly turned into a field.

Tommy - the Wigan 10k course looks good.  The issue is whether I will be in pb shape...

Run well tonight, galloping Godivas and tomorrow, marauding Marrows.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob - no problem, I might not be able to get anymore either, might have to make a day trip to Devon, thanks to a sub-contractor...Anyway, I've officially joined HPRC online earlier today.

Lou/Funster (and Chris?) - see you later.

• Options

I got my new club vest in the post today!!!

It is exceptionally unflattering.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I got my new club vest in the post today!!!

It is exceptionally unflattering.

Oh dear!  Sounds like you need to post a photo so we can judge for ourselves image

• Options

Not only is it white (a colour no-one looks good in), but the fit is ridiculous - too baggy around the arm holes, similar baggy hips/stomach area so that you look fatter than you are, but you can tell that going down a size would make it too tight across the chest, even though it is allegedly a women's cut.

On a more positive note, the club name is on the front in a snazzy velvety texture.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Sounds like cake-fit.  If you keep winning races and eating the prizes, you might find you grow into it.  The velvety bit will be good for wiping your creamy mitts.

• Options

I need some red shorts like yours to go with it, Phil.

• Options

Pete -  Magic tractor image Cheers for the tips, I'll drop hints to my mates and appear knowledgeable.

Tommy/Lou - I've not heard back from CJ. I will head over from here around 5 ish so if the traffic is forgiving I ought to arrive 5:45 ish. I didn't get a race number through the post so will need to arrive a bit earlier.

• Options

On the subject of shit jokes, do you know why the baker had brown hands?

(kneaded a poo. Sorry).

• Options

I'm hilarious and you're all just jealous.

Phil (if you're still here), I have a question. I am thinking of buying a hybrid for commuting to and from work (because it turns out a Raleigh Caprice is not ideal for this purpose). But my question is: if I get a kick-stand fitted to it will all the cool cyclists laugh at me? I will also be needing a pannier rack, but the man in the shop says this will obviate the need for a mudguard. Is he lying and I will get splattered with mud?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Lou - whopping 5k pb, well done image

DT - do you think you may have Overdone it ? You seem to have been doing some tough sessions lately.

Lit - lol, I remember having a kick stand on my Raleigh Chopper MkI. They were cool then in the mid 70's. Nowadays I think even the most un-cool of cyclists may have a chuckle. Impressive MP session, looking very close to 2:45 Mara paceimage

How's the Skinny man doing ?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good session Richard.

Mace, quite possibly. This could be pent up issues all coming to the fore, if that's possible. Its only really the 3x 15 min at threshold that were a bit heavy but surely that's not a million miles out from the classic 3 x 2 miles session? Around that though I was not doing any fast intervals. Fastest session I've done is 10kp.

Lit, that joke was pretty good. I may use it on the weekend. I cant comment on your bike question as I'm way too cool a cyclist to even understand the concepts!

Bob, I don't mind actually finding another pub in between it all. Can you normally leave and return at these things? The plus point of that scenario is that we are unlikely to find ourselves mixing it with the youngsters into the small hours on broad street which in turn means I ought to be semi with it Sunday. 

• Options

Well I'm just back and didn't get on well at all. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as they say. 

Loads of congestion held me up in Birmingham so minor panic had set in, then on the way my phone screen, mounted as sat nav, started to flicker, then promptly died. Major panic. Pulled over and examined the phone. Completely dead (not a battery issue). Didn't print out a map (the fail to prepare bit)  and found myself relying on memory.

Remembering the race was in Memorial Park off Kenilworth Road, I was able to find my way to that road but that was about as close as I got with about ten minutes to go before race start. I couldn't see a park entrance anywhere, drove round looking for something remotely resembling one (or even any signs for one), thinking I could at least say hello to Tommy and Lou at the finish, without any luck, and so I failed to find the start and the finish.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

lit - your hilarity was one of the major reasons for me following this thread image.

If I may revert to food talk: I just tried the quinoa and chicken hot pot recipe from the latest RW newsletterwith extra peas and mushrooms. Quick and easy to make and very tasty. (Insert thumbs-up icon here).

Richard - I make that 9.3k at something near your 5k pb pace.  Impressive!

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

x-posts. 

Welcome back, mace.  How's it going?

muddy - Nightmare! Could only have been worse if you'd done as Bob suggested and accidentally turned up naked image.  Sympathy.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering though if that joke would work so well delivered orally?

How annoying muddy. That's only 'nearly' happened to me before so I can empathise with how you felt on the journey there. If your experience would have gone on to mimic mine you'd have wished you never just made it anyway!

• Options

What happened DT ?

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Wondered where you got to muddy, sounds like you had a bit of a shocker. It wasn't clear at all but everyone parked in the park and ride and then walked / an over to the pavilion in the park. Fortunately I'd made good time so had a bit of time to suss things out.

Good to meet Lou, McF and family at the end of the race.

That was fun, I'm going to write a report now. Hold on to your hats.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Hurry up, Tommy.  It's nearly my bedtime.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dudley kingswinford 10k 2013. Stuck at work, raced around m42 and m5 watching clock ebb away. Parked about a mile from start with ten min to go and got changed in car. only a rough idea of way to start. Started running, needed a poo so went in a Travelodge. Run to the start at race pace and missed it by about two minutes, luckily it was chipped then had to cut my way bit by bit through whole field weaving all over place. Hated every minute of race and was blowing from start. Came out with my second worst 10k time. Just as well have cut my losses and turned around when half way there!

• Options

Oh yeah it's a hilly one that, DT.

I don't think I even saw a park and ride Tommy.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Nighty night! Sleep tight.

• Options

I think he is still checking his spelling and punctuation, Pete.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Coventry Godiva 5 Miler

SO, Coventry Godiva 5 was a bit of a ‘B’ race for me, to see where I am in the build up to Robin Hood HM. Didn’t really have a target in mind, had decided just to run it by feel and see how it turned out. I arrived in decent time, but as Funster said, it wasn’t clear at all where to turn off the road. Once inside the park and ride car park I could see a few runners making their way towards a pavilion so just followed them over and got registered. Looked at a course map and then had a couple of miles warm up, starting very slowly as my legs were a bit stiff.

The course is two and a half laps of a park (one small loop and two larger loops) with loads of other park users milling around to act as moving obstacles (dogs, children, skate boarders, roller skaters, kids with wheeled shoes, etc). The profile is undulating but the down hills seem to be fairly short and steepish but the uphills longer and a shallower incline.

We line up at the start, and I have a look around and can’t see Funster, I think I spot Lou but can’t be sure as he doesn’t look like a blurred Jesus. Gun (a man shouting 'go') goes and we’re off and it’s quite a fast downhill start combined with the usual jostling. Round the bottom of the park and back towards the start / finish area, the first mile marker comes up quicker than expected (6:24). Spot who I think is Lou just ahead of the group in front of me, so know I’m in roughly the right spot, second mile takes in the larger loop mainly under tree cover but my Garmin is matching the exact position of the mile markers for a change (6:25).  Mile 3 seemed mainly uphill and I could feel myself slowing as I got to the top of the hill close to the finish area (6:43). I can still see Lou up the path and he seems to be running well. Mile 4 seems to come and go without incident (6:39). Mile 5 is basically the same as Mile 3 with a fair bit of uphill stuff, overtake a couple of people including a guy with t-shirt under his vest as we’re approaching the crest of the final hill, quick check of my watch at the point and looks like I’m going to finish in roughly the same time I think I did Beeston 5 in. Anyway, heading down towards the finish and there’s a bit of cheering and then I hear some thundering footsteps and t-shirt vest man is closing in, bit of a ‘kick’ to keep ahead of him to the line (6:40). Time on my watch 32:54, which I think is within 2 or 3 seconds of my Beeston time.

Great to meet up with Lou, McF and family for a few minutes before heading off for a quick cool down and then drive back home. It’s only when I get home and check the table do I realise that my time is approximately a minute quicker than Beeston a couple of months ago, which is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully things are moving in the right direction in time for Robin Hood. HM, will see how the hilly 10 miler on Sunday goes as another pointer.

Sorry for the delay, Pete. I had to cook my tea and drink some beer at the same time and it slowed the process.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done Tommy. Is that a pb? I suspect Lou was close to a pb time. 

I have just been studying his avatar re Jesus. Doesn't Christ have a beard and long hair in most popular images?

• Options

Good stuff Tommy image 

DT - the previous avatar with the badly 'restored' image

• Options
    That was quick Tommy. Good to meet you: albeit a bit briefly. After the race I had to spend a good half hour or more freezing in my shorts and vest as I'd promised middle daughter I'd take her to play on the playground after the race.
  • Options

Nicely done, Tommy - and an excellent PB, well run. Average pace for the 5 miles inside your average pace for parkrun on Saturday methinks! Good to hear you've taken the plunge with HP - a winter of glorious XC racing awaits.image Sounds like Lou could have done with getting hold of t-shirt/vest man's undergarment last night. How did you get on, Lou?

Muddy - How bloody frustrating. Sounds a confusing old set up there. Bash your frustration out of the hills at Falkirk on Saturday.

Top session, Richard. Particularly with the 'beach' half still in the legs.

DT - I think it's the frequency (up to 3 times per week on occasion?) of the threshold (or thereabouts) sessions that could be dragging you down. Off decent mileage and to bring yourself to a peak, I can see the merit of 2 sessions/week for perhaps a month, but to keep it going for an extended period is eventually going to drag you down in my opinion. I think Mr V reported similar feelings of overtraining when he was being set similar sessions by the same folk? And yes, they'll give you a pass out at the cricket if you want to leave the ground, so you're free to come and go as you please throughout the day.

A very pleasant and easy 6 miler at 8s along the Trent last night, though reigning myself in a bit after a second mile at 7:30 odd. Forcing myself to rest up today after a 9 day running streak, though don't really feel the need, and often feel worse for a day off. Now I'm actually disciplined enough to keep the right pace down on at least a couple of easy runs per week, I may actually move to 7 days per week running soon.