Overdone it?

Comments

• Oh, all right.

3:51, 3:57, 3:53, 3:59, 4:00, 4:01, 4:05, 3:53, 3:56, 3:57, 0:14 (for extra 70m)

Can you spot the windy bit and the slight over-enthusiasm when I got round the corner? Actually though like Tommy I found I had to overtake people when running into the wind rather than sheltering behind them, because they'd slowed down more than I wanted/needed to.

My plan for the race was to aim for just under 4 mins/km throughout to make sure I got sub 40. Obviously I still went off a little faster than planned, but not as much as I might normally be tempted to. Then I settled into a sensible pace. I think the middle bit is where I might normally be flagging a bit anyway, though probably could have paced it evenly if not for the gale force wind, because for once I hadn't gone too fast at the start.

I was using autolap and it was consistently a bit ahead of the km markers, I think because the start was quite crowded and I had to get round some other people. So that is where the extra 70m comes from, but also made me aware that I'd need a few extra seconds at the end to stay under 40 minutes. So I knew I was on target, but as soon as I got round the corner out of the wind I overcompensated a bit for the next km just because I could.

You wanted to know when I started to feel bad - I think it was mainly in that middle section, as when there were only 3km (then 2, then 1, then a sign for 400m) to go it all felt manageable. As I got near the end I decided I wanted a sub-40 gun time as well as chip time (didn't know exactly how long it had taken to get over the line) so I managed a very tiny final push in the last few hundred metres and made it in 39:54, along with a couple of blokes who'd also been targeting sub-40. We were all very pleased with ourselves.

• Rightio, Tommy. Good stuff. Likewise, I'll look out for you as well. Think I've successfully stalked you now, so at least know what name to look out for! 

I'll be in my Holme Pierrepont club t-shirt probably - blue with horizontal red stripe across the chest.

Skinny - no worries. I'll drop some details up next time I'm on thread, but not a problem if you can't fit them on.

Have I remembered rightly that this was the race last year where you had a stadium finish and the locals were cheering on their favourite but you held him off?!

• Have fun tomorrow, boys. Rather you than me. Perhaps one day all of the East Midlands thread members will turn up at the same race.

Sorry for the most boring race report ever, btw, just read back through it but too late to edit now. Anyway, Skinny asked for it.

• Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Have I remembered rightly that this was the race last year where you had a stadium finish and the locals were cheering on their favourite but you held him off?!

Hi Bob - you remember my races better than me!! Yep that's the one - it was my first race of this block of training that started in Oct 2011 - 42:13. Cheers

• literatin wrote (see)

Sorry for the most boring race report ever, btw, just read back through it but too late to edit now. Anyway, Skinny asked for it.

Actually this was exactly the kind of race report I was interested in reading - love the bit where you decided to get a faster time - the race report does make it sound like if you had wanted a slightly faster time you could have had one though?

From memory last year I started hurting after about mile one and just hurt slowly more and more until the end - the last mile though is mainly downhill so that helps.

Anyhow come in to work off my hols for one day as got loads of nasty stuff to deal with so will report back around 9.30pm.

• literatin wrote (see)

Just had a proper look in the goody bag. Free chipotle tabasco sauce! image

Sounds sensible, Lou. How did Mrs D do?

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow. Skinny, I don't suppose, when you are back and before your race, you would mind updating the spreadsheet so I get to briefly win at 10k?

Mrs D managed 1:40:xx.  I can't remember exactly, but it was a pb by about 5 mins and about 8 minute improvement on the same course last year (moderately undulating, but no gales), so she was happy.

My first aquajogging session during peak time last night.  When I first saw the very busy pool I was a bit apprehensive, but I had phoned up before hand to check that it wasn't lane swimming or anything like that and I could use the float.  Anyway got in and did 3(6x1:30) 30s between reps and 2 mins between sets. 

I think due to the lack of impact (and the need to pay for sessions) I'm more inclined to push myself hard.  That is much more than I would do in a similar session on land and I was blowing by the end of it.  I can feel it in my hamstrings today.  Hopefully I won't develop an overuse injury from then overdoing the pool running.

Good luck again for tonight.  Lit seems to be edging ahead in the Top Trumps.

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Actually this was exactly the kind of race report I was interested in reading - love the bit where you decided to get a faster time - the race report does make it sound like if you had wanted a slightly faster time you could have had one though?

No no, it is just that coming past the last km marker it was clear that I had well over 4 mins to get to the end for sub 40, so would have had to run my slowest km yet by quite a long way not to manage it. But I'd started my watch when I crossed the start line, so didn't know how I was doing relative to the gun time, so couldn't get complacent and did vaguely manage to speed up in the last few hundred metres. A few of us sort of tumbled over the line together in the last few seconds before 40:00.

If I ran the first mile of a 10k so it hurt I wouldn't be able to get to the end at the same pace, I don't think.

Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

Good luck again for tonight.  Lit seems to be edging ahead in the Top Trumps.

That's why I insisted on Skinny updating the table before tonight's race! Congratulations to Mrs D.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - i'm with Skinny, sub 39 looks imminent image

My 5k pb is a bit mis-leading as it's a parkrun that was a bit short ( about 3.06M ) at the time so 19:30 is a bit more realistic.

Right, fatty's off to pig out on a lettuce leaf  image

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Hi Bob - you remember my races better than me!! Yep that's the one - it was my first race of this block of training that started in Oct 2011 - 42:13. Cheers

Was a particularly memorable report race, Skinny! image I have visions of him turning up tonight, scanning the start line for you, and with a scowling face take his place at your heel, vowing to sit on your shoulder throughout as he plots his revenge...

...only to find that within the first km your improvements have reduced him to a wheezing, queasy wreck plunged into immediate oxygen debt and swimming in a lake of lactic acid; by the time he does stagger home he finds you sat in an armchair adorned in smoking jacket and slippers whilst puffing smugly on a pipe stuffed full of brightly smouldering St Bruno. image

Any road, stats below if you can fit them in at some point.

Age - 42
    Height - 6'1"
    Weight - 11st 7
    5k - 19:47
    5m - 33:34
    10k - 42:42
    HM - NT
    Mara - NT

Outside chance of a HM later this year, possibly Worksop in late October, though that would need a nearly instant return to full fitness over the next fortnight or so to get the mileage up, so it's perhaps more likely to be next year now. I don't see a marathon happening before 2015 at the very earliest.

P.S. Good report, Lit. All those sub-4m kms though... image

• They were supposed to be all sub 4m kms. And I'd have done it too, if it hadn't been for that pesky gale. Re. HMs, you could do the Keyworth Turkey Trot in December. Online entries open on 24 Sept and it sells out really quickly, so put it in your diary.

• I actually do believe you on that too. Fast fecker.

Re: Keyworth - thanks. I had earmarked that initially, but it's the day after the Heanor race in the North Mids Cross Country series unfortunately.

Moreover, it's the weekend after a 3 night stag do in Wroclaw. We've gone east for a few of these now, and a HM debut in their aftermath would be unlikely to end well!

• Go Richard and Skinny! Don't let the gale force breeze slow you down!

• Smiley face can only mean Skinny won the whole thing. image

Well done Richard! You can have a image too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good progress Richard. Over to Skinny... image

• come on Skinny, the suspense is killing us.

• Unless... he's still out there running?

• Yes, I got that from the way the others are being all coy about it. image

• Firstly it was great to meet Richard and we both had a good night - both running PBs so we were both in a good mood for the journey home!

Beautiful night for a 10k although we lacked a bit of a gale blowing behind us on some bitsimage

Just before start I decided to change my Garmin from miles to kms but didn't do it properly so it told me the pace I was going at in kms/hour but all my splits were in miles which was frustrating during the race and is frustrating now writing this report.

Anyway through the first k in 3:53 but it was already hurting a bit and was looking eagerly for when the second k marker was going to appear when looked at my watch and I had gone 2.43k (phew!!). This gave me a bit of a boost and I checked my 2.5k time which was 9:45 so, so far so good and only 30 mins still to run.

Started passing some people which I presumed was because they had gone off too fast but my split for the third mile (not k) was 6:03 so I guess I put my foot down as I was passing people. One of people I passed was someone Richard had pointed out to me at the start as a sub 40 runner so this also gave me a bit of confidence.

5k done and the time was 19:16 - at first I thought that means another 20 mins and I'll have 39:16; then I realised if I could keep going I would have 38:32!! But now when I was passing people I was really reluctant to run on past them and I knew it was only a matter of time before legs said no more (at this point though it was really helpful to remember that the last mile was flat and downhill).

Got to about 8k before the legs told me they were not running past anybody else and the person I had been catching slowly started pulling away - I knew though I had to try and stick with him or it would be a long slow 2k.

Splits meant nothing now it was just survival but the last mile downhill helped and managed a sprint down the athletic track home straight - must have been impressive coz heard the stadium announcer say something along the lines of 'good strong finish from '.

Stoped garmin straight away showing 38:53 - par-tee timeimage

I knew last year the 3rd MV45 was won with 39:10 so poor Richard who I had given a lift to had to wait with me until the presentation but it wasn't quite a perfect night as I wasn't in top 3 (might have been if doubling up on prizes wasn't allowed).

Lit you would have been 3rd overall lady with your time from weekend.

Anyway made up - thanks Coach again for all the help - lets hope my fragile body has survived this PB.

Cheers, Skinny

• PS Well done to Richard on his big PB imageand looking forward to hearing about lots of jostling in the track mile races.

Richard's PB was done on the back of some serious running over the last few days so is particularly impressive.

• Ha! Brilliant - sub 39 is just showing off. I should have done your race, as I was only 15th lady in the one I did.

Have another one of these: image

• Sorry mile splits for what its worth as follows:-

6:15, 6:16, 6:03, 6:12, 6:13, 6:27 and 1:27 for last bit. (My Garmin also measured the 10k as 10k + 70m so exactly the same extra as Lit's race)

• Congratuations!  It's all looking good in the SG stable.

• Cracking stuff, you two!

Damn impressive in fact off the back of a 37 mile ultra, Richard (bloody hell!), and to go sub-39 is superb, Skinny - and enjoyable race report as usual too. Huge congrats to both.

Good to meet Tommy at the track tonight, really enjoyable night all round, and all the runners and organisers seemed a great bunch in fact. 

No jostling to report unfortunately, Skinny! There was too wide a range of standards so the fields got strung out very swiftly. 

Full (ish) details over on The Middle Ground thread, but was really pleased with my 5:40.9 in the mile. Highest WAVA rating to date (70.14%) and lots more to come I think given some pacing issues and, of course, recent problems. I think Tommy was pretty happy with his result too, though I'll let him fill in the details of course.

That's two of us with mile times now - time for the rest of you to seek out a lactic fest! image

Anyway, 15 mins or so break ( image ) before the 3000m, which Tommy sensibly declined, so 11:52.9 was ok in the circumstances. 

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Congrats Skinny on a great 10k. It was only a month or so ago you were struggling with injury from what I remember so to go sub 39 is very impressive indeed! Great effort! Well done with all the other PBs on here too! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Top result indeed Skinny. Your best pro rata performance to date. Taking 2:20+ off the pb is  a very impressive performance.

It's very pleasing all round, as we had your 10k zone in the 6.15-6.20 region, and you ran 6.15 average last night.

Enjoy a nice easy end to this week, and then we'll work on your Half Marathon pb in the next month.

What a week for the SG Stable image The third runner in the group (non forumite) has a race on Sunday, so we'll see how that goes.

• Morning! Excellent work on the massive PB Skinny image and also congratulations to Richard on the PB after running an ultra a few days before image.

Good to meet Bob at the track last night, as Bob says a really enjoyable night, low key but well organised and decent people. although I didn't get off to the best of starts when I arrived, I managed to get locked into outside chnaging rooms of the leisure centre and had to shout for someone to let me out image

I was my first track race in about 16 years so wasn't really sure how things would work but ended up in the 'fast' race with Bob and a few others. Wasn't sure how to pace it and I think I ended up undercooking the middle two laps but managed a strong finish to end up with 5:58:xx, slightly slower than the 5:55 I was aiming for. So fairly happy but think there's more to come. Was briefly tempted to enter the 3K but decided against it as my hip/pelvis injury is still giving me a bit of grief, which hopefully the physio can sort out later today.

Cheers T2D     

• Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a couple of interesting experiences in the miles and to be honest I don't really have any feel at all for what a good mile time is for any of us - I guess going by the fact that was your best WAVA rating then that must have been an amazing performance Bob considering that you haven't trained properly for quite a long time now. and well done on pretty much hitting your target time Tommy.

Again I'm not really sure if 'just' running a mile gives you more chance of getting away with a drop off in training or not. What I'm sure about is then peeling yourself off the ground and running a 3000m is very impressiveimage.

Having spoken to Richard last night I don't think we'll be introducing All Time Track PBs into the table as Richard ran a 2:02 800m when he was a 'bit' younger, a 54 second 400m on a grass track and a 4:26 1500m - pretty impressive times - particularly the 400 and 800 - now he's running 37 mile ultras, funny how age changes us.

Off work again today so family bike ride and 3 mile recovery run plus a lot of shopping planned.

Cheers, Skinny

Got to about 8k before the legs told me they were not running past anybody else and the person I had been catching slowly started pulling away - I knew though I had to try and stick with him or it would be a long slow 2k.

Official results now out 38:52 so a second faster and 21st out of 223.

The guy referred to in my race report above finished 20th and 10 seconds in front of me. He was also the 3rd MV45 - ouch!

Still the exciting bit of this is that last night I thought I was just racing myself and am nearly at the level where I am racing other people too which will put another slant on some of the races - mind you not many have 3 prizes for each age categoryimage.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Great work Skinny, very well done

"5k done and the time was 19:16" .... that bit made me feel queasy

And i can taste the lactic in that 6th mile image