Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Richard - my number arrived today for the GCRimage - number 569 - doesn't sound very special!

• Options

I had always understood 'runner's knee' or PFP to mean 'when your knee hurts because you're a runner'. Which could be caused by all sorts of things. Why wait until after the race for the physio diagnosis? As long as you don't let him/her do anything to make it hurt more, you'd be in the same position but with more knowledge.

• Options

They might scare me into not running as fast as I can??image

You could say 'Knowledge is Power' or you could say 'What you don't know can't hurt you'image

Nevertheless you've made me think I might book a private appointment so I can get one fast. Thanks for the advice.

• Options

I had a 3-digit number for VLM last year and felt super-special. On which note, I knew there was a good reason to enter early (had been putting off handing over the cash): for the cool low race number. Will get onto that today.

I'm pleased to report that I have no illnesses or injuries (yet).

• Options

Richard - when notifications are working (which they are at the moment) something weird happens whenever you post - I get the original notification then a bit later I get another one but you haven't posted again - doesn't happen with anyone else's posts - do you have some strange synchronisation between various devices going on? 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

lit - are you racing HM this weekend? Which one?  Hope its a pb for you. image

• Options

Hi Minni! Yes, I am doing Robin Hood half and it had better be a PB or I want a refund from my coach.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Quite. And remember when you do pb its all down to your hard work and bugger all to do with your coach!! image

• Options

Morning all. If anyone fancies doing the Turkey Trot entries opened this morning.

• Options

Is this fancy dress or do you just have to run really funny?

• Options

Both. And if you win you get a turkey.

I was just saying because it sold out in about the first day last year, so if the Nottingham people (or indeed anyone else; I've got a guest room!) want to do it they need to enter now.

• Options

Skinny - Look after that knee.

Lit - My contact lens chap was also trying to talk me into the Turkey Trot at the weekend. I spied him across across a crowded start line at my debut 10k back in March, but didn't see him after that, so took the opportunity to actually talk about running to someone who was likely to be interested for a change when I went in for an appointment at the weekend. He's doing the Robin Hood this weekend and said he did Keyworth last year, so had a bit of a stalk when I got home. Turns out he's not too bad - beat you by 40 seconds last year in fact.

Steady old 5.6 miles with the club last night with plenty into full on taper mode for the weekend, though got depressingly dark, depressingly quickly once we set off. Not much post-work daylight running left now for the next 6 months or more. image Very enjoyable apart from that though, good to catch up with a few people again after a couple of months away. Had a chat with the skipper about the track work they do at Bingham too, so will hopefully get myself into that within the next month or so.

• Options
    Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

He's doing the Robin Hood this weekend and said he did Keyworth last year, so had a bit of a stalk when I got home. Turns out he's not too bad - beat you by 40 seconds last year in fact.

Will have to see if I can beat him on Sunday. Keyworth was not my A race last year.

• Options

I'm sure you will - you've improved lots, and he's battling fascist plants or whatever it's called so hasn't been able to train much.

• Options

Hi Lit - I see the Robin Hood is a Half and a Full - how does that actually work?

Do you get different colour numbers but everybody sets off at the same time and the marathoners do the same route twice? Sounds a bit weird to me.

Ignoring my knee my cold seems to be taking a long time to break - I ws thinking I would be totally miserable today (a rest day) and on the mend by tomorrow - but today I still just feel a bit tired like yesterday - desperate to get it out of the way!

• Options

You get the same colour numbers but they say 'half marathon' or 'marathon' on them. Everybody sets off at the same time and the marathoners split away from the half-marathoners at about 12 miles and do a longer, but different, route, before coming back to finish in the race village. Meanwhile, the half marathoners have repaired to a pub overlooking the end of the full marathon route and can cheer on the runners while having a delicious refreshing drink.

If you're going to have a cold you might as well have it in the first week of a two-week taper. I am still uninfected, luckily, and have just had some more apples and a beetroot salad for all the vitamins (and now have salad dressing on my skirt, grr).

On my run this morning I passed a woman doing the same sort of session I was but in the opposite direction - we said good morning while trotting along at a nice sedate warm-up pace, then again later on while both clearly putting in a bit more effort.

• Options

Ah - the split off at 12 miles was the sensible bit that I didn't really appreciate - it just seemd a bit crazy for half the people to be sprinting for the line past peopel who still had 13 miles to run.

Re the cold - yes my thinking too but that's why I want it to hurry up!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - my last Half was a " Full and Half combined " First time i've done one. I felt really good as i ran with a chap in the last mile and when we got to 400 metres out i kicked on and looked back over my shoulder to see him one paced. Then a bit of a plonker as i turned round to shake his hand at the finish only to see him carry on up the hill on his merry way to 26.2 image

• Options

I bet you were still chuckling about i when you got home!image

• Options

Stratford HM/M is one or two laps: I just did the half. At the start I noticed various people with belts full of gels and whatnot and thought - that's a bit much for a half - until it dawned on me that they were doing the full mara.

The Turkey Trot would suit me for my first 'proper' target race after my little sabatical:  Though I was considering Bedford as it in the Club's winter series.  I'll have a word with the missus and see what she has planned.

• Options

Physio appt booked for 7 tonight.

• Options

Okay - verdict is nothing structurally wrong with my knees. Got a massage of my ITB that I will imagine will do sod all good, both my knees taped up to possibly help activate some muscles not working (????????) and got some extra new exercises (just what I needed!).

Fingers crossed though it will get me to start line!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This game is all about posting those pbs when you're in the shape to do it. As who knows what can happen in life.

We'll get you to that start line by managing your running carefully until then.

Then after you can rest fully for as long as needed.

• Options

Sounds like a much better outcome than 'your knees are f*cked and you will never run again'. Just do the exercises and keep being careful and you'll be fine.

On subject of muscles not working, we were doing an exercise in pilates today the teacher claimed was supposed to be using a muscle at the front of our calves, but I wasn't really feeling it, and was sceptical about there being a muscle there at all, so she showed me hers and it was all, well, muscular, and mine just looked nonexistent. image

*swearword bleeped out to protect SG's sensibilities.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Quick prod of the front of my calves shows no sign of muscle life either.... image

• Options

Hers was massive. Just sort running up next to the shin bone on the outside.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Doesn't sound very pretty. image

• Options

Nor was me sitting on the floor in the class with my trouser leg rolled up going 'why haven't I got one of those!' image

• Options

Skinny - hopefully hopefully the massage will do the trick. 'My' physio says it's fairly easy to loosen the ITB band and it only needs to loosen a bit to stop the pain in the knee. Obviously this is massively caveated with the standard line of 'everybody responds differently'. Anyway, hope it clears up and the cold gets better.

Lit - Cheers for the heads up on the turkey trot, think i'm gonna give it a miss this year. It's probably going to be Worksop HM for me but still got half an eye on Clowne. BTW is the turkey that the winner gets dead or alive? I might do the Heanor Christmas pudding run, I think everyone who enters gets a pudding. No shin muscle for me either.

Bob - Didn't make it down last night, was working away. Had to make do with running around some reservoirs near Bolton instead (one was called Wayoh reservoir, so all I had in my head for about 3 hours afterwards was the Outhere Brothers song). Anyway, was quite pleasant until I got shouted at by a fisherman for trespassing and disturbing his fish (for clarity; I was running on a path not in the water) so how I was disturbing fish I don't know. Then, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I ran past a talking gate. Run also included going up and down a pennine which was good for the quads.  

• Options

Oh yeah, I saw this 'fact' fom the QI Elves on Twitter earlier today...

'Your running speed is not determined by your height but the position of your belly button. The higher it is, the faster you run.'

Hope this helps.