Overdone it?

Comments

• Great race Skinny.  Fantastic PB and excellent report.  Sounds like it would have been a laugh to see you at the end too.  So all round top performance.

Bad luck Rich.

No idea on the etymology of shit or bust, rip shit or bust or shirt or tits, but Mrs D has problems with iron deficiecy and anemia in the past, so I'll ask if she has any advice.

She got 3rd lady and 1st v35 in the Tissington Trail half yesterday.  Bottle of wine for it.

32 miles for me.  Still a bit of an achy calf but no problems.

• imageWell done Mrs McFlooze Diamonds!image

Mace said:

..... Shit can't be anything other than Shit, can it !!??

Richard - if ever there was a perfect prompt for your race report that's it!image

• We need the local paper headline that would have been used had Lit sparked out at Skinny/Richard's race rather than the Robin Hood. Got to be able to come up with something better than my crappy and not so snappy first effort: 'Beeston Belle Doing Swell...Until She Fell...Wasn't Well'

Skinny - Ah well, regarding PO10 rankings, it's good in some ways to keep some targets on the board to aid the motivation. I see that alongside what has now drifted to 587 as a V40 for 5k, I've also now added 143rd V40 for my 1500m. Sounds quite impressive if you say it fast and don't consider the context of a rather small pool of participants to choose from, and that the times drop off a cliff once you get much past mine! Still, if you'd said that to me this time last year when I was still yet to run, I'd have just blinked at you blankly and assumed you'd just arrived from some parallel universe. I doubt there's many on that list who have been running for less than 11 months.

Mace - Sounds like an altogether more civilised weekend than your previous one! Ideal for toenail retention.

Lit - Hope the potions do the trick, or at least that the results give you a clear indication of what needs to be done to set you right again soonest.

'Grats to McFlooze on the prize winning Half, and more moves in the right direction for Lou.

I'm knackered. Mileage crept largely unnoticed up to almost 40 miles since last Monday evening after a slow and not very enjoyable 3 before work this morning, as I'm working late tonight. Plans to tackle the Cannon Hill parkrun seem to have fallen through this weekend too. Bugger - hoped with some good recovery for a couple of days and light mileage with some race pace tuning up on Wednesday and Thursday, I'd be ready to give it a good blast. Tommy had mentioned the Mansfield parkrun to me as a potentially quick one, and a quick bit of scouting suggests he's right on the face of it - flat profile and distance looks right on Garmin Connect Activities. Trouble is, it's a bit light most weeks on runners either side of the 20:00 mark, which is where Cannon Hill would have been almost ideal for finding someone to drag me round. Hmmmm.

• Bob - good mileage - I've only ver done over 40 miles a week three times and all of them are only just - 41.1 miles is my most ever.

I am loving your headline effort - I nearly had a go in my original post about it but after a couple of mins of coming up with nothing decided that I shouldn't bother - pleased I didn't now reading yours!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Lit - thanks, I may well take you up on that offer. Although will that mean you have a rubbish HM time against your name? Which other halfs are you considering?

Bob-Mansfield parkrun is flat as we discussed before but it can be pretty windy. Guess you'll just have to hope that someone in the 20 minute mark is there on the day. 

Congrats to Mrs D on the prize winning!

Skinny - sorry no idea on shit or bust, is a bit puzzling when you think about it...

• Tommy - they will have a transfer period nearer the time when you can swap numbers officially. By which time we'll both have decided what we're doing. I'm considering Gosport because it should be a nice fast course and a friend of mine wants to do it whose parents have a flat in Southsea, so it'd be nice to see her and handy for the start.

Congratulations to McFlooze, who seems to have re-lurked.

• imageimageimage

So not quite as Shit as you thought - in fact although you missed your target times of 1:35 and 1:37 it was actually the least shit HM you have ever run!

The clock above the library right opposite the start showed 2 or 3 minutes to 10 when the gun went off - almost caught me out too - the guy said over the loud speaker that he was going to start the count down and I was expecting to hear him start with 100 (which would have been the most bring countdown ever!!) but when he started 5,4... I was quite surprised.

It is definitely better to be running with people going at your speed - there is a motivational gain by passing people too but for a really good PB you need to be dragged along a bit by the people around you - so well done in the circumstances - I hope our chat didn't delay your toilet visit?image

• Generally okay - leg wise - bit of stiffness but that's all.

Health wise my stomach still feels dodgy but if I'm not stressing my body its not really giving me any problem - hopefully a few days complete rest will sort it out.

So 'shit' is good - both your shit run produced a PB and shit in shit or bust is the positive result.

Any comeback Tommy?image

• Congratulations on the pb Rich. I did think that when I looked on po10, but wondered if I might have made a mistake somehow.

Apparently Bedford can sell out early, so better to get your entry in sooner rather than later.

Last hm I did (Stratford) had the first mile or so doing a loop of the town centre. I did the same late toilet visit so started to far back and it was very congested.

I ducked and weaved to get through, but this feels quite tiring, so I did wonder if I would be better of just going with the pace and saving my energy for later. You can make up a bit if time over hm that you can't with shorter distances.

I'll see if I can persuade McF to provide a report. She was talking about doing one for the club blog anyway.

• Oh go on then, as you've asked so nicely.  Was slightly concerned going into this as not done much running in last week due to feeling a bit virala nd tired.  Raced the Rugby 10 (mile) last Sunday in a slightly underwhelming 1.18 although it was hilly and had only run a couple of times since.  But was entered, and had missed my goal of sub-1:40 at Kenilworth by 38 seconds a month ago so wanted to give that a crack.  I thought I'd set off at 7:30 pace and see how it went.  

Tissington Trail half is a point to point race, runing along the old Buxton to Ashbourne railway line in Derbyshire.  As such it runs through gorgeous scenery but is flat/slightly downhill with good footing the whole way.  Sadly I don't think it is UKA registered because of the net downhill so not sure the time "counts" officially.

Anyway, the day dawned: a lovely, sunny autumnal morning.  We had stayed at MrD's parents in Chesterfield the night before so after my traditional porridge and coffee pre-race breakfast we headed off to Parsley Hay where the race was starting from.

Lining up was lucky really as they suddenly announced as it was chip timed they would be setting people off in waves which seemed to consist of wherever you happened to be stood on the trail at the time but with a bit of wriggling I managed to get into the first wave alongside a couple of other women who looked quite serious.   10am and we were off.  The trail is fairly narrow so wanted to get into a reasonable position early on so set off probably a bit faster than planned - first half mile was about 6:47 pace but pulled it back and first mile passed in 7:14.  At this point i was close to the women I saw at the start but they were starting to pull ahead and I suspected they had a faster time goal than me so let them go.  For the next few miles I settled into a nice pace and tried to relax into it and enjoy the secnery (7:26, 7:28).  

The fourth mile always seems hard to me, I think as i normally do a 4 mile tempo so body suddenyl starts to complain at me!  This mile also had the only real incline of the race so passed in 7:38.  got back on track though and next few were 7:30, 7:23, 7:30, 7:23.  Had some jelly babies at mile 6 from the drinks station which helped keep me going.  I was just focusiing on hitting my splits as i freak out if i start thinking how far I still have to go.  I was thinking about getting to mile 10 and then seeing what I had. Trail had started to have a slight downhill now but I was getting a bit tired and had to start pushing a bit harder. At this point I started targetting people to overtake and that helped. 7:31, 7:18.  

I went through 10 in 1.14 which was 4 minutes faster than my rather lacklustre (but hilly) performance at Rugby 10 so I was pretty pleased but still just focussed on trying to maintain pace.  A few spectators had called out to me that I was fourth lady but figured the others were miles ahead.  However, i still felt i had a bit of Go in my legs and to be honest, wanted it to be over faster so picked up ther pace a little to 7:16.  Half way through mile 11 i spotted one of the women I'd lined up with in the distance.  She was a fair way ahead but this now gave me something to focus on - I might place!  Pushing steadily (but terrified the wheels might fall off) I started to gain a little ground on her and miles 12 and 13 went by at 7:12 pace.

I knew I had to make a move soon.  She was probably 100m ahead and the last bit of the trail dips very sharply and rises very sharply for about 100m and then prob a 200m flat bit to the finish.  So I flew down the hill, just letting my legs stretch right out and tried to let me momentum carry me up the hilla s much as poss.  but I wa

• Fortunately I know the ending is a good oneimage

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Well done on the PB Richard, good report, strange how your watch was so far out?! It is difficult getting the runs in when working away but I try to have the attitude of not letting work getting in the way of doing something I enjoy. Can be tiring though, but as you say, it is in some very scenic areas.

I got stuck fairly near the back of the marathon I did earlier this year and spent the first 5k or so weaving in and out of people trying to keep on target pace, and i agree with Lou that this was probably counter productive and used up energy early on in the race which I could have done with later on.

Lit, I'll let you know about turkey trot in the next week or so.

Is anyone local doing the Heanor Christmas pudding run?

• Hi Tommy, not making any promises as it all depends on whether I recover in time to seriously consider Gosport and then rethink my other races. But can also look out for spare entries at my club if needed. Also have entered the Heanor pud run but again, might rearrange the whole racing calendar.

Nice cliffhanger, McFlooze. image

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

No worries Lit, if there is one going let me know but no probs if not.

Back to McFloozes story...

• I caught her on the brow of the hill and was in flat out mode then.  Crossed the line 5 secs ahead of her with the last bit done at 5:28 pace!  

Was dry heaving at the end so they got me to drink some water and then I was ok.  Mr Diamonds missed me finishing though as he never expects me to be as fast as I am so missed my glorious moment.  image

I was 3rd lady and 1st WV35, winning a botle of wine so pretty happy.  And the time was 1.36.23, so a massive PB but I don't think it "counts" due to the net downhill but I am still very happy.  

• I picked up a turkey trot entry on here last year. And a clubmate entered on the day (people pull out and they allow it) and even blagged a discount! Tight bastard.

• Anyway, sorry for not popping in sooner.  Been a bit busy and then everyone was slitting their wrists that their shiny new PB's just weren't good enough so I didn't want to shove in here brandishing my free wine about.  

But congratulations to Skinny and to Richard on new PB's.  image

Next challenge is the Road Relay Championship at Sutton Park on Saturday.  Legs are a bit sore so going to have a rest today and then a couple of recovery runs with some strides and then hopefully I'll be good to go.  It's only about 4k per leg so will be a bit image by the end I should think.  

• Was it nice wine though McFlooze?

• By the way, Literatin - you need to put the Spatone in orange juice (if you didn't already I mean).  Stops it tasting so foul and the Vit C helps the iron absorb better.  Two pregnancies worth of anaemia experience have taught me this.  But steak and red wine are the nicest ways to get iron in.  If you can avoid the tablets it's better as they tend to bung you up somewhat.  Also take the iron tabs at a different time from tea/coffe as that also inhibits absorption.  

Hope you're feeling a bit better today.  

• Not drunk it yet.  Didn't look top notch though!

What did make me a bit cross was that the male winner got a 70 quid running jacket and the female winner got a t-shirt!  Nice and all but not 70 nickers worth.  They didn't try and fob me off with inferior wine to the special "man wine" box though.  Else I would have had words.  

• Thanks McF - I did put it in orange juice, and couldn't taste it. Until afterwards, and for the rest of the afternoon, when my mouth tasted of metal. I am starting to feel somewhat better now though. I also have a fridge full of dark chocolate. image

• McFlooze said:

...and then everyone was slitting their wrists that their shiny new PB's just weren't good enough

image - I'm liking you Mrs McF D - you are very welcome on here - please visit often!

Congrats on your massive PB - and another prize winner on the thread - just to really rub it in my face!

• Only just though, Skinny.  The lady I overtook was at pains to tell me afterwards that she'd just come back from Corsica and hadn't run a step for weeks and anyway, she only normally did fell racing and didn't I think it was a ridiculous race.  image

• I hope you told her all about how you were feeling all viral and tired and had just raced a 10-miler and only run a couple of times since and weren't really trying. image

• Nope, Lit.  I maintained a dignified air of magnanimity and asked whether she'd had a nice holiday.  But she knew...oh, she knew.  image

• Thanks for last 3 posts ladies - I'm having yet another stressful day that could turn even worse this afternoon but am still sitting here with a stupid grin on my face readng the above!

PS I had always imagined that if I could get Mrs Skinny really into running that we would go out for runs then spend the rest of the evening stretching together and massaging each others sore legs - is that how it is in the Diamonds' house?

[Apologies to any English scholars out there if I've got the apostrophe in the wrong place there - only one house but multiple Diamonds - I think that's right]

• Erm, no.  We spend the rest of the evening trying to corral errant small children into bed, before collapsing exhaustedly on the sofa and landing face first into a bucket of Malbec.  Then ignoring each other whilst we chat nonsense on the internet to randome strangers, often in parallel.image  

Sometimes though , he makes me watch him do PE.  Although, he tends to save that until I am out as giggling at doing planks is not conducive to manly grrr feelings.  Also I am not allowed to talk during University Challenge.  

• Have I said too much?

• Not allowed to talk during University Challenge??? But surely the whole point of watching is to see who can get the most answers right before the teams do? I'm disappointed, Lou.

• Not for me - not sure about Lou thoughimage

Me and Mrs Skinny are vey competitive on Uni Chall (we talk about it so much we have abbreviated the name). We have rules and everything.

We have to answer before the contestants and first one to answer gets the point - both get the point if answer at the same time - we are both quite fair on this.

Last night was a 12-12 draw - I always claim I am the underdog because I haven't got a degree.