Overdone it?

Comments

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Morning Lit, yeah that was what I was trying bad say last night, having re-read my post it isn't overly clear. They do generally go less fast (slower?) but it's all relative as the top athletes do 100 mile races at sub 9 min/miling which I think is incredible. Particularly when you consider the elevation changes many ultra courses have. Has anyone read Scott Jureks book?

• Archery? Womens 100m?

Haven't read his book but the bit about him in Born to Run was pretty amazing.

• PS: modesty, Skinny? But I've got the shortest shorts on the thread! Not counting celebrity guest posters.

• Because of the weird way you get dumped mid thread I've just been reading Lou's post about Mrs D (now known to us all as McF) and the fact that her 1:40 HM in early Sept was a 5 minute PB - something I had forgotten when she told us that her race last weekend was a 4 minute PB.

So that's 9 minutes off your PB in just over a month - wow!image

More to come?

Lit - isn't the English language great - you can get so many meanings out of the same word - no category for shortest shorts though either.

• Richard - not a bad effort at a gurn - always good when they get a photo of you with both feet off the ground too.

Tommy - I did consider splitting the table into two with 4 of us in each and space for 3 newbies in each table.

Pros - it means I could include McFlooze (although I will need all your vital statistics - I have your timesimage)

Cons - it doesn't feel right to split us all up and do I do it by times, age, height or?

• Obvious we need to two divisions, with promotions and relegations at the end of each season.

You're an accountant; surely you can figure something out.

• image - yeah but somebody won't like it!

I still can't make up McFlooze's vital statistics though - age, height and weight required.

• You come in second behind Deirdre from Coronation Street

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQYLM_qYORe8hYLY9Mxv_n4Ob8krK0nlZCmxh3AO6WTZcHFKqbIg

There's some pretty good facial gurning on page 1 too!image

If I didn't know you lived in Kent I would have guessed you were Scottish from the photos.

• Mace - is that in the queue for toilets?

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - to be fair, that Mara time trumps all the pb's as far as i'm concerned.

And i actually remember you from VLM13 ... we were standing under the bridge at Embankment and you stood out because 1) you were a quick chick 2) the hairband 3) how ridiculously happy you looked.

I'm struggling to read back here ....

• macemace ✭✭✭

I can see reference to some Skinny pics but i'm buggered if i can find them !!

Lou - ha !! image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Oh come on Skinny, i beat Deidre hands down image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Those photos are all arse about face as the gurny ones on p1 are all in the last half mile.

The lack of edit function is more than a tad annoying ....

• Stat      Skinny      Lit         Lou     Richard    Tommy       Mace     Bob     McF

Age         45         31          40          43             31               47        42          35

Height     6'0"       5'4"       6'1"       5'10"          6'0"          5'10"    6'1"        5'8"

Weight    10st 4   8st 12  11st 7    11st 0    11st 5      12st12  11st7   9st12

5k/pr        19:15      20:16   20:08    22:53     20:54       18:42    19:47    21.17

5m           31:17     32:12     32:16    38:40     34:46          NT     33:34     37.18

10k         38:52      39:45      40:10    44:02    43:03         41:16  42:42    45.13

HM        1:26:43   1:28:26   1:29:02  1:38:26  1:41:30    1:30:25     NT   1.36.23

HM 2013      2               2             2              9              1             3               0          3

Marathon     NT     3:06:16        NT      3:56:57    3:54:19   3:16:52     NT     3.46:19

• Well, that looks a little bit drunken.  

In training news, I ran 7.5 miles with club last night.  It was an off-road run in the dar with headtorches.  Which was lots of fun and we saw real-life badgers!  Felt great at the time but today I have some pain in my foot.  Top LHS of left foot.  I am hoping it is something tendon related rather than a metatarsal stress fracture (drama queen) but been icing it today.  Dr Google suggests I should either rest it completely or run through it .  So I will rest it until Saturday and then race in the team relays.  I'm all about the sensible, me.

Loving the gurning faces.  It's a comfort to me that I'm not the only afflicted one.  I actually scrub up ok in real life.   

• macemace ✭✭✭

McFlooze - don't wish to worry you but my youngest son had a fall from his scooter at the weekend and complained that his foot was hurting top RHS of right foot, but he couldn't bear any weight on the front of his foot and was walking on his heel.

No improvement after 2 days so we took him to A+E and it turned out metatarsal 3,4 and 5 fractured ... last week he broke 2 fingers playing rugby.

Hope yours is nothing more than a bit of brusing.

• mace remembers me from VLM!!! This is actual fame. I may have to re-think the hairband.

• Stat      Skinny      Lit         Lou     Richard   Tommy   Mace      Bob     McF

Age         45           31          40          43          31         47          42          35

Height     6'0"        5'4"         6'1"      5'10"      6'0"      5'10"        6'1"       5'8"

Weight  10st 4    8st 12     11st 7   11st 0   11st 5    12st12     11st7    9st12

5k/pr      19:15     20:16      20:08    22:53    20:54     18:42      19:47   21.17

5m         31:17     32:12      32:16    38:40    34:46         NT      33:34   37.18

10k        38:52      39:45     40:10    44:02    43:03     41:16      42:42   45.13

HM      1:26:43  1:28:26  1:29:02 1:38:26 1:41:30  1:30:25     NT     1.36.23

HM 2013      2            2           2            9           1            3          0            3

Marathon  NT     3:06:16      N     3:56:57 3:54:19  3:16:52     NT     3.46:19

• image Just spenty ages trying to make it look less drunk and it looks almost the same!

Anyway well done McF on squeezing yourself into the table - that 10k time stands out as a PB that needs addressing.

Lit - there is no way that Mace remembers you simply because you were a fast chick with a smiley face and a hairband. I would imagine the thought process was 'Shit, that looks like a stupid version of Father Dougal' then yesterday you reminded him.image

• Mace - page 81 post 4 - number 569

• Good formatting, Skinny.  You know you should believe in your abilities more.  

Well, that 10k was set on quite a hilly course on a 30 degree day in the Summer so can probably knock a bit off that.  But next 10k in the plan is a VERY hilly, off-road jobby so not going to be a PB opportunity!  http://www.ruggedradnage10k.co.uk/

Lit - maybe you should start running in a Darth Vader mask so as to pass under the radar.  I can't see any drawbacks with that whatsoever.  

Mace - sorry to hear about your boys foot.  I can walk on mine ok, just a bit sore so suspect is just a bruised tendon or whatever.  Almost did myself a mischief on a load of crab apples, cunningly hanging out on a slope in the woods so could have been that jolting it a bit?  Sounds like you need a season ticket for A&E though!  Although we can't talk, our 2 year old had her leg in plaster for the entire summer hols.  

• Mc F - did you find yourself a sugar daddy or was Lou a cradle snatcher?

I like the fact that the photo on that run is a lovely green wood with a covering of bluebells - the reality in November will be a bit different!

You never commented on knocking 9 minutes off your HM PB in a month? More training or soft PB? 

• I've not even knocked 9 minutes of my PW. image

Mace if you were near Blackfriars bridge you were probably pretty close to my entire family. I wasn't (I don't think) grinning like an idiot all the way round, though I did enjoy myself.

McF, hope the foot is okay. If it is any consolation I am gradually accepting that I sprained my bastard ankle while unconscious and that's why it still hurts.

• Haha.  I went to school with his little brother. He'd just finished university, I was a mere only just 18.  Make of that what you will...  image 

HM's became a bogey distance for me for a while.  I ran my first ever in 1.45 in 2009.  Subsequently ran two more in slower times, mostly due to having another baby and having to lose the inconvenient 5 stone I'd gained.  So the 1.40 set this year was after first sustained block of training for some time.  And not sure the 1.36 properly "counts" due to the net downhill thing.  Plus the 1.40 was on an undulating course.  But I reckon I still could have knocked a couple of minutes off on an official course.  But that's all conjecture.  Thinking about doing Bedford along with MrD so we will see.  

Are you doing anything with your ankle, Lit?  Icing or anything? Sorry it's still hurting image

• But...I have upped my training.  Previous years have been: enter event, train fairly hard (20-25 mpw image), do event, not run for about 3 months.  Repeat.  This year since picking up again in March (I had winter off due to lazyitis) I've built up to a peak of 40 mpw with most weeks being 30-35 mpw.  I've also been more consistent about doing regular tempo runs of up to 4 miles.  And got I plenty of long runs going up to 16 on a couple of occasions.  The other big thing has been racing a lot since joining the club.  I think it's definitely made me tougher, taught me a lot about pacing and how much pain I can physically take.  Turns out you can hurt a lot more than you think when you start out!  

And don't forget the famous 3x2m @10k session!  It's the secret of my success.

• Bloody hell, blink and you miss 3 pages now!

Richard - Are you going ahead with the Coniston 14? Good luck if you do. A suitably filthy look for the camera in the Cumbria Run pics! image

University Challenge - Doesn't really cover my strengths (too much science, literature, and classical music), and reckon I'd struggle to get very close to double figures on most episodes. My mate and I always win our cricket club quiz every year though - sport, politics, geography, contemporary music, and similar. A man of the people me. image

Tommy - Trimmed the beard last night at least - can I be bothered with the razor for Saturday? I'd be setting myself an annoying precedent to follow if it yielded a big performance, that's the trouble! Hard lines with the driving - again.

How was the lunchtime toenail endurance challenge, Lou?

Lit - any results yet? How long would a sprained ankle be likely to sideline you for? I'd probably only be able to identify you by the club vest if the headband went BTW!

McF - 9 minutes off the HM PB? Great going! image Hope the foot's ok.

Excellent neck gurning, Mace. 

Is it an unwritten lore of running BTW, that there is no such thing as a tailwind, only headwinds and crosswinds? Began the first rep of a reduced volume 800m @ (supposedly) 5k pace session last night straight into the teeth of a ferocious north-westerly going up towards the Wilford Toll Bridge. Maintaining just inside 10k pace (6:43) felt like at least 3k pace worth of effort - horrid. Is a bit more sheltered coming back down the other side, and there's only a short section coming back south-east before the river meanders back north-east anyway, so the other 3 reps that all came in at 6:17 pace still felt like hard enough work. I'd forgotten how disruptive genuinely high winds can be to running rhythm over the summer. image

• I think it's fine to pace by effort rather than pace though where you have strong winds and heat etc (or a hilly course), Bob.  Otherwise your training session may become a bit too hard or you get too dispirited.  It is subjective though and one of the occasions where a HRM can be helpful.  

It's a bit parky out now.  

• Bob - we might have managed 3 pages of posts but we still don't generate as much to read as you do in one post!image

McFlooze said:

Turns out you can hurt a lot more than you think when you start out! 

So true - and I think that's one of the reasons why it's important to run easy most of the time and hard once or twice a week - the discomfort of running properly hard would be difficult to face much more than twice a week so instead you would find yourself running quite hard all the time and never have to 'train beyond the pain'.