Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Ha! Mr D and I grew up in Chesterfield!  Yes, lots of lovely running and you don't even have to get all the way out to the Peaks (although great out there).  A lot of nice stuff locally.  Let us know where you will be staying and we can advise.  Hope you like hills though.  

• Options

Lit said:

They would! I would have had a fetching hairband on.

Bloody hell Lit - just turned on the footie - you never said you were playing for England up front tonight!

• Options

My profile pic was taken on a nice run around Curbar Edge in the Peaks.  Also nice runs up to and around Linacre Woods where the reservoirs are via Holmebrook Valley park also, close to Chesterfield itself.  And you can run out along the canal if you need a bit of flat.  

• Options

That's true Skinny, I didn't say that... I did say we were all having a party without you though. image

• Options

2012 HM training build up (all standard weeks 4 runs) the quality run always preceded by a 3m warm up and 1m cd incl in total weekly mileage, all other runs at easy pace

Week 1 32.7 miles incl 6m at HMP, 13m LSR

Week 2 5.5m - ill

Week 3 34.1 m incl 3*2m at HMP, 13.1m LSR

Week 4 36.2m incl 6.5 at MP, 13.4 LSR

Week 5 23.5m incl 8 at Steady

Wk 6 38m incl 13m LSR Monday, 13.5m multiterrain at mixed effort Sunday

Wk 7 22m injury reduced, all easy running

Wk 8 35m incl 3 at MP followed by 3 at HMP, 13m LSR

Wk 9 33.5m incl 45mins alternating every 5mins between MP & HMP, 13.5m LSR

Wk 10 31.8m incl 10k race, 13.8m LSR

Wk 11 28.5m incl [2.5m Easy, 2.5m Tempo * 2], 14.5m (8m easy, 3m steady, 3m MP)

Wk 12 34m incl 4 * 1.2 @ 10k pace, 15m LSR

Wk 13 33m incl 6m at MP, 14 with 7.5 Easy to Steady, 3m MP 3m HMP (done on Saturday)

Wk 14 28m incl the HM Race on Sunday 1:29:08image 

• Options

Okay the above and the next post which sets out my 2013 training are to satisfy a request of some lurkers to be able to see the training in one post - particularly this year where the training is very hidden.

I think though the training schedule itself is only half the story and a lot of the useful coaching 'nuggets' are hidden in the thread in conversations between me and SG.

Before starting the 2012 schedule I had been running mainly as fast as I could for between 20 and 25 miles a week for about 6 months. Target pace was sub 1:35.

• Options

Skinny, you should put what your training paces were at the time and what race time they were based on to show how you got to the final race time too. image

• Options

2013 pre HM training - this began after a 6 week period of injury interrupted training and was initially focussed at 10k then latterly HM (but the training for both distances is compatible). There was higher mileage before the period of injury, some faster work, (and obviously I already had 2012 in the bank) and I am now doing 5 runs a week. The quality sessions also had a 3m wu, 5*strides over about half a mile, the session, then a 1m WD. Also most weeks now include two quality efforts plus LSR. Rest of mileage made up of easy/recovery pace running.

Wk 1 35.2m incl 6 at MP, 12m LSR

Wk 2 36.7m incl 6m starting at MP then building to Tempo pace, 3 * 1m at 10k pace (2min recoveries), 12m LSR

Wk 3 40.9m incl 30min alternating every 5 mins MP to HMP; 7 * 1k at 10k pace off 90 sec recoveries, 13.4m LSR

Wk 4 38.4m incl 30 min alternating every 3 mins MP to Tempo; 6m easy with 8*75m strides spread throughout, 14.2 LSR

Wk 5 37.5m incl 40 min alternating every 45 mins between MP to HMP; parkrun; 12m LSR

Wk 6 30.6m (easier week as 10k race next wk), incl 3 * 1m at HMP,Tempo,10k; 10m LSR

Wk 7 36m incl 10k race; 13m LSR

Wk 8 31.2m incl 8m with 8*75 strides; 14.5m progressive run 7.5m easy to steady, 3m MP, 3m MP, 1m CD

Wk 9 41.1m incl 8m with 8*75m strides, 3*2m at HMP with 90 sec recoveries, 16.1m LSR

Wk 10 (slight niggle so 2 wk taper) 32.6m incl [2.5m easy, 2.5m tempo repeat], 10m LSR

Wk 11 33m incl 3 * 1m at HMP, HM RACE 1:26:43image

• Options

Yep - Lit is, of course, right as ever.

So my initial pace zones in 2012 were based on a 5.3 mile flat out run I had done in training at 6:50m/mile pace which left me wrecked. SG equated that to a 6:52m/m 10k and so my initial pace zones were:-

Easy 8:30 - 9:00

Steady 7:40 - 8:15

MP 7:30

HMP 7:10

Tempo 7:05

10k 6:52

After my 10k race (noted in the 2012 training plan) the pace zones were all dropped by 5 seconds.

For 2013 my pace zones were based off a 5m race in 31:17 and were as follows throughout the training.

Easy 7:50 - 8:45

Steady 7:05 - 7:35

MP 6:50 - 6:55

HMP 6:30 - 6:35

Tempo 6:25

10k 6:15 - 6:20

5k 6:05 - 6:10

• Options

That's better. image It just struck me that you quite often get people on the forums saying 'I'm looking for a training plan to get me x time' when the point of what you're doing with the pace zones is to train at your current fitness level and gradually improve from there.

I suppose the other thing to keep in mind (which is more obvious from reading the whole thread) is that the training was only set a week in advance rather than as a complete programme, so was always based on how you'd responded to the previous week(s).

• Options

Right all that done and England are winning the footy too - nice opening goal by Wayne Litty.

So what's all this about a party?

• Options

Well, we'll all be in the midlands this winter (except you) so I thought we could have a thread get-together (but without you).

• Options

Oh shit Lit - I'm trying my chuffing best - are you as hard on the students!

I meant to write about this too - yes there is a double advantage of the weekly schedules.

1) As Lit says above it can be adjusted weekly based on how you have reacted to the previous week.

2) You don't have 12 weeks of running to look at and think about - the job each week is about the 4/5 days running you have on that week's schedule.

Of course everyone isn't as lucky as you and me to get adopted by a Coach!

Finally I also meant to say that by year 2 the weekly schedule was pretty close to eating or drinking - if the schedule said it then I did it. In year one I let life get in the way sometimes so some of the weeks described above are actually less than I was scheduled to run.

• Options

I was just helpfully supplementing the excellent work you'd already done in your posts, Skinny!

Incidentally, to help you not think about the next few weeks' running, and as we had similar goals and my HM was the week before yours, I was encouraged not to talk about my training in the lead-up to the last race. To avoid (running schedule) plot spoilers.

• Options

Ahhh - I see, thanks. Well I asked plenty so you did well to appear rude on a consistent basis until now. image

Does that mean if we both aim for a totally different race distance then you'll discuss your training on here then?

On assumption ankle heals are you doing the London Marathon again? If so is Coach getting involved or is he adopting a 'marathon - I'm hands off' approach?

Re the party - yeah you should all get together - why don't you pick something like that Dovedale race and then all get to the pub afterwards. I'll just look at the photosimage

• Options

PS Mace lives in Kent!

• Options

You know on Week 8 of 2013, should that be 3m MP, 3m HMP?

Well, I suppose I could talk about my training. I only really came on here after I started working with SG to spy on the competition. image It's actually only the last few weeks of HM training we were consistently doing the same sessions, so even if you did want to know them it would have been a bit annoying for you at the same time to always know what was coming up.

And yes, ankle bloody better be okay by then. It's getting there now, still hurts a bit when transferring weight from heel to ball of foot though. I'm hoping to be able to start running sooner rather than later and hopefully have another decent shot at a half marathon before Christmas, then start training for VLM. Only reason I wouldn't do the marathon is if I can't get back to running in time build up to at least 50 miles per week by mid-December. But I honestly don't think the ankle is that bad.

• Options

Frigging frig - can't go back and edit it.

I've posted the error on that other thread and not much else I can do about it really.

Will be really interesting to follow your marathon training.

Time to do some work.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Skinny, interesting you ask about Lit's marathon campaign.

That is a very good question, as I have no experience of running them, being trained to run them, or having advised anyone on them!

Therefore, it's probably down to Lit, on whether she is comfortable allowing me to learn "on the job" so to speak, as seeing her through injury free and progressing is the key here,

• Options

I do try and ask good questionsimage

I'm sure the two of you will work it out.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Just hand her over to me.  imageimage

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Morning all, loads to catch up on again!

Enjoyed reading the summary Skinny, having followed your progress from the start it's interesting to see all the sessions etc in one place. Did you get round to determining your race plans going forward?

Hope the foot heals quickly lit.

Hope parkrun went to plan Bob, looks wet and windy out there!

Richard, loads of great running around Chesterfield (as long as you mind hills). Last time I went to Chesterfield on a night, I ended up at a 'beach bar', which was weird as it's about as far from the sea as you can get in the UK...

Good luck at the relays McF.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

PP, I might have to tap your knowledge, as well as some others.

I remember on my thread a very interesting comparison between a fast, but unprepared youngster versus an old master who was a fair bit slower at all distances, and the old master came out on top in the race by a substantial margin.

• Options
    PhilPub Today at 09:12  Just hand her over to me.  imageimage   Careful what you wish for, Phil - I'm quite high-maintenance.   SG - you calling PP 'old'? image
  • Options

Huh. What happened to my paragraph breaks there?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil's just a young pup. It was Phil who showed how to run a very impressive marathon.

• Options

SG - Interesting that there is very little faster paced stuff in there ie 3-5k pace or threshold pace ie 1hr pace tempos.  All almost MP/HMP with a bit of progressive.  Is this injury management, or do you find this more effective for 10k-HM running?

Anyway I'm digressing.  Saw this piece of no exploitative titilation in the guardian the other day and was struck by the similarity with our gurning pictures.

Gave me an idea for a little game - similar to the IKEA or Black Metal quiz that's been doing the rounds on FB recently.  "Run Face or Cum Face" - you have to guess if the photo is of someone crossing the finishing line or.. well I'm sure you get the idea.

• Options

Hi Skinny thanks for responding to my post and directing me to your training schedule. I have now copied that thanks very much. I have also responded on my own thread to you. As I have mentioned I did email Stevie directly and he has given me loads of advice to get me busy.

Thanks again Stevie for your advice Im going to work on my base and get Birmingham out of the way and try to achieve my running goals next year.

• Options

Tommy - I know the Beach Bar well.  Do they still have all the staff in swimwear?

Several years before it tried to reinvent itself as a party destination a rival to Miami, Monty's or La Montmatre to give it its full name was the towns only indie disco.  They had an offer for a while where drinks started at 10p/pint then increased in price every 10 mins until returning to full price after an hour.

I think they limited you to 4 pints per visit to the bar, so the aim was to try to get served a couple of times, thus having sufficient booze to last the night off about £2.40.  The guard your table closely. Very classy.

• Options

Talk of a Chesterfield Beach Bar reminds me of this slightly optimistic attempt at 'Palm Beach Paris' on a particularly bleak, industrial part of the Seine near where I used to live not even in Paris. Needless to say, I never actually went there.

/members/images/699204/Gallery/4540_710281205608_5389268_n.jpg