Overdone it?

Comments

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, 

I did make it across, just not doing much reading, posting or in fact running at the moment.  Just poking my nose in to see that there are injuries and illnesses and far too much interest in random forum buttons going on here - I hope it all improves soon.  I'll be back sometime with a better excuse ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    phew, so it's just Mr v and Bob unaccounted for.

Hope things pick up soon, Madbee.

What was up with run, Muddy? Connect splits don't suggest a suffering was being had?

I was wondering yesterday whether everyone else finds 20 milers tiring? I just think at this stage, running much slower than Mara pace, they should be pretty straight forward??

Rest day for me today. Off to gym shortly though to soak in the Jacuzzi and have a good stretch in the steam room. 
  • I love 20 milers, and do not find them either tiring or boring. However, I'm not allowed to bloody well do any at the moment. Grr.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Local race to me offered a 10/20 mile race choice today.

For one minute I wondered what it'd be like going and doing the 20. Then realised it was no entry on the day, and more importantly wondered why on earth i'd pay to go and run 20miles, without a marathon on the horizon, and having not run (until today) further than 13.5miles since May :*

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    DT - Just a slog, barely puffing but  fatigued due to cramming runs in. I'll try to structure the week a bit better so that it's more enjoyable in future.

I think I had one 20 miler in the summer when everything felt fine. The other two were complete slogs.

Stevie - Did you find an alternative race ?
  • The way he explained it was that it might be better to run a bit faster as the bouncing is almost a mechanism for keeping the forward pace down, albeit with the proviso that I don't mess up the foot plant which was ok at easy pace.
    Dammit!  Just as I'd started to try raising my knees in an effort to emulate your successful style :)

Good to see you on this side, Madbee.

20 miles is definitely beyond me but I did manage 21.6 km this afternoon.  Not my longest run but, after looking at pace/heart rate stats, definitely my best ever long run by some margin :triumph:

• Did it make you constipated Pete ? :smile: Seriously - well done on that. Sure you will go really well in your 6 miler.
  • Pete - sounds like you are in form of your life (at 64!) - good going.

Good running and aqua jogging everybody else - Lit does that mean that you are still signed off?

11 for me yesterday - a massive 20.5 miles for the week - feel like I am stiffening up rather than a mid marathon training plan recovery break.

9 weeks to go - or not many weeks until taper - holy shit!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muds - it was just a very vague and never going to happen plan. Plan to get in some very short stuff in March once my club move has gone through. Just to get something on the PO10 account to get 2017 off and rolling, and something easily mentally digestable!
    Mile and 5k probably
    edited February 2017
    When were you planning to taper Skinny ? I had more than 30 days for Hull which was more enforced than by design. I think it was too much though...

Looking at 9 weeks left, I expect the next 3 weeks to incorporate good long runs, then a down week to race Wilmslow, then a couple more good long runs before taper...

X-post:

Stevie - Ah I caught up on your thread and saw you were looking at the mile race.  Not tempted by Reading or a spring half ? That was a decent long slow run yesterday which by my reckoning puts you in sub 76 territory..
  • Pete - sounds like you are in form of your life (at 64!) - good going.
    Cheers, Skinny!  I don't know about that; my HR records only go back 4 and a 1/4 years but I'm enjoying training right now.  We'll see what race day brings...

Don't envy you marathon runners. Training seems like a nose to the grindstone stress-fest rather than fun.
  • It will be a 3 or 2 week taper but probably a P&D taper so week 3 will not noticeably be a taper at all!
  • Exciting news - I did my 20th different parkrun course on Saturday (a tough hilly one) and as such I have made it on to this list (very close to the bottom).

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/mostevents/

and can also buy one of these

http://www.giraffeuk.com/cowhead-shop

• Well done Tommy. I take it if you have to ask what cows have to do with parkrun tourism that just means you're not a proper member of the parkrun community?

Also well done Pete! Imagine if you had the full 64 years' worth of HR data. How fascinating that would be! I'd just like to reiterate that the reason I do marathons is that I really really like marathon training, especially long and medium-long runs. I actually find it a bit hard to imagine why people do them if they don't like long runs, though I am aware that that applies to quite a lot of marathon runners.

Which makes it all the more annoying that I am still not running. However, I do have an exciting new (to me) wobble board to play with as a consolation prize.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muds- i think i need to build back up the distances just to re-assure myself first! Sounds ridiculous with 180 or so races in my name, but like the old adage, you're only as good as your last race!
    Probably look forward to a tonneload of spring and summer shorties, just to get back on the scene, and you can always find a half if needs be.

Lit i hope it's soon. It's a crazy game at times. Felt really knackered after the morn run, then massively lifted by a slow 4miler at lunch. One eye on a tempo tomorrow morn, so early bed, rock n roll!
  • literatin said:

I'd just like to reiterate that the reason I do marathons is that I really really like marathon training, especially long and medium-long runs. I actually find it a bit hard to imagine why people do them if they don't like long runs, though I am aware that that applies to quite a lot of marathon runners.
    It's not just marathons. But taking that case on they (long runs) are obviously a prime unavoidable requirement. The feeling of running myself into a state of energy depletion and fatigue followed by a long recovery are why I don't like them. On the plus side after a rest day post long run. I do feel like my batteries are charged to a greater degree.

However some marathon schedules push the mlr runs close together so there's not always the full recovery, and then you have to do it again at the weekend. Do them slower!  you may say - but that's not always possible due to a limited time budget and not always better from a form/running economy perspective.

The big downer for me from the marathon training last year was how tired it made me feel. That's not to say there weren't any long term positive effects - my best running spell so far came a few months later. So this year I have the deferred London club awarded entry to take (non-transferrable) and it's really only for the latter reason that I'm keeping the marathon goal for the end of this training block. I think in future I would be minded to take a gentler approach to building mileage and base training which reduces the frequency of long runs and avoids racing a marathon.

• Well, that does all make sense except that I've never found the MLRs or LRs to be tiring either, so I tend to feel energised when marathon training rather than tired (except when anaemic). Though of course I know that some people get tired.

By stark contrast, however, I do find that I need so much recovery after the actual race that I don't benefit post-race with other good performances.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's what your preference is really isn't it.
    If you offered me a long tempo, or short reps , i'd take the latter every time. Might be down to football background, but it just seems more enjoyable, monstering along fast, rather than taking speed off, but going for ages.

The idea of combing 20milers out and then taking on a race distance where you know for certain you're going beyond what your body can store energy wise, doesn't seem fun to me!
    However, i love that half marathon race finish satisfaction, so can only imagine the marathon is higher than that. But a half marathon seems to tick all the boxes a marathon would for me, without the risk of obliterating yourself.

Having hung on for about 8 miles feeling dreadful in my last half, and then being ruined, i can't even imagine what hanging on for, say 10-15 miles in a marathon would be like!
  • Based on my own experience I think 8 miles is probably the max you could hang on for and eventually that wouldn't be at planned pace but just hanging on putting one foot in front of the other.

Because of the cramp I didn't really get to the bit where I was just trying to hang on to the pace but at 18 miles everyone around me seemed to look and feel great - 5 miles later on even my 9mm plod was picking up walkers and carnage across the road.

In other words if you are at the stage where you are hanging on at 11 miles then you have got the pacing massively wrong and it will be a car wreck - the first half should feel like a walk in the park.

Having said that Lit went off a bit too fast in her marathon PB and slowed over second half so she may have felt she was hanging on for quite a long time but I think she refused to do a race report that year so I don't really know.

• Having said that Lit went off a bit too fast in her marathon PB and slowed over second half so she may have felt she was hanging on for quite a long time but I think she refused to do a race report that year so I don't really know.
    No I didn't! I went off faster than I thought I could complete the race as part of a deliberate strategy actually. Or at least, I subsequently interpreted it as a deliberate strategy and did it again in later marathons but on purpose. I'm not sure 'hanging on' is the right phrase (I'd associate that more with a short race where you're trying to run fast); I remember both in 2015 and 2016 feeling as though I was running really slowly but actually not really being that slow when I checked the splits. I also remember running a couple of miles near the end of 2015 quite slowly but thinking it didn't matter as I'd get my PB anyway.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Surely only a tiny handful of people don't slow down in the second half of a marathon? Unless they're really testing the water, and have massively undercooked the early part?

Clearly i've never done a proper marathon, but we did cover 26.2miles as part of a club event once, with a few stops for drinks. Boiling hot day, i remember feeling like an absolute shell at the end, even though we'd probably been rucking around at 8min miling
  • Yes, Stevie/Skinny the hanging on bit lasted around 8 miles for me, rather than the 3 or 4 for a full tilt half. There were a couple of miles with a slight touch of downhill which gave temporary respite.

I think I prefer the mp tempo and threshold runs to interval sessions -stopping and starting these old bones all the time takes a toll.

Well I ran my marathon to constant effort and ignored pace and it was still a big old slow down at the end, so on paper I suffered the same fate as Lit. Also I suspect (believe) if I'd used a pace target and ran slower at the start I would still have been baked by 20 miles as it was turning into a pretty warm day.
  • When I got my PB I ran the second half 4 minutes slower than the first half. I think 2 minutes would have been better (and this is what I did the following year) and really I thought I was going to run 2:52 (which is what I did run) so I should have run the first half in 1:25 instead of 1:24. I've only run a negative split once (2014) and I agree with SG that I possibly could have run a minute or so faster overall but I didn't know that so was being sensible for the first half.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    on my two attempts my splits were (roughly) 1.34/1.44 and 1.32/1.36. It's fairly apparent which one went horribly wrong.

That sudden realisation that 8 miles is in fact quite a long way to run was horrible, yet I still found myself passing more in the final 5k than passed me which just shows how many do get it wrong. Usually because they decide, without justification, that they just as well have a go at sub 3. I try and explain the madness of this to runners by asking what they would expect to happen if they arbitrarily decided to run a 10k 1 minute faster than their max ability.
  • Lit when you say 'No I didn't!' what is that in response to? Because your second post seems to suggest 'Yes I did!'?

I only mentioned it because you may have been able to contradict what I was saying about the ability to hang on for 15 miles.
  • Didn't really 'go off too fast', unless you think 1 minute faster than you think would have been optimal over 13.1 miles of race is suicidal. I certainly don't believe I would be doing anything I'd describe as 'hanging on' for 15 miles. That's a long way!

DT - I did once decide to run the first mile of a 10k a fair bit faster than what I expected to be my max ability that day. Nothing bad happened as I had the good sense to only do that for one mile to see how I was feeling. All my friends went off too fast by accident and died a bit.
    edited February 2017
    Hull was 1.25.37 for first half, so just under 1.28 for the second half - touch more climb in the second half of the route but not 2 and half mins worth - would put that down to fatigue and calf spasm setting in.

I have entered Warwick half for my 13.1@marathon effort session on March 5th. Will be interesting to see how that comes out. So that paves the way for you at the Worcs. champs at Droitwich DT ;)
  • That seems like a pretty reasonable amount of fade to me muddy though rather than 'a big old slow down', though I suppose it's more about how unpleasant it feels at the time than it is about actual pace. DT's story of a 10-minute positive split sounds much more in the 'to be avoided' category.
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes I didn't mean suicidal pace - sorry if it came across that way. In actual fact reading back you have misquoted me.

My marathon split was roughly 1:29, 1:43 (and it was short by 1/4 of a mile!) :D
  • literatin said:
    That seems like a pretty reasonable amount of fade to me muddy though rather than 'a big old slow down', though I suppose it's more about how unpleasant it feels at the time than it is about actual pace. DT's story of a 10-minute positive split sounds much more in the 'to be avoided' category.
    Yeah the biggest part of that slow down was beyond 18 miles, so 'big old slow down at the end' :)  I was dropping just under 20s per mile over the same bit of route that I'd covered on the outbound.